2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview just now! Can anyone who has interviewed give any tips or their experience on the interview day?

It is a long morning and like paradoxic said, it’s involved. Like all DO school interviews, make sure you know why you want to be a DO and why this school specifically. Don’t sound like a rehearsed robot. It went by fast and I had fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview just now! Can anyone who has interviewed give any tips or their experience on the interview day?

It was a lot of fun actually! Smile, be confident in yourself and your story, and have good energy. Passion goes a long way! Read up on the school. It goes by fast, but you will meet with many people so don't feel bad if you have an encounter that isn't the best with someone.

Interviewees sign an NDA so we can't tell you much.

I can tell you that it is grueling and you'll be constantly bombarded with activities until the end.

The format consists of:
  • 1-on-1 traditional
  • "Speed-dating" MMI stations
  • Patient scenarios
  • Group activities
Practice your standard questions and memorize your own application.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I didn't realize that they do so many things haha.

It is a long morning and like paradoxic said, it’s involved. Like all DO school interviews, make sure you know why you want to be a DO and why this school specifically. Don’t sound like a rehearsed robot. It went by fast and I had fun!

Sound advice, thank you!

It was a lot of fun actually! Smile, be confident in yourself and your story, and have good energy. Passion goes a long way! Read up on the school. It goes by fast, but you will meet with many people so don't feel bad if you have an encounter that isn't the best with someone.

I see, thank you so much!

I'll make sure to read up on the school better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Having been accepted here, I think I can provide some sound advice for the interview process. First, the interview day is very long and exhausting. I could not wait to take a nap after that day. You'll face:

- A 1:1 Interview with Faculty
- MMI Stations
- MMI Roleplay
- Team/Group Activity

I would say for most of them, be yourself and be familiar with your application. Overall, be familiar with osteopathy and its tenets, but that is normal for almost every DO interview. Be able to work well with others, but also make sure your voice is heard during the group activity.

Don't get down if you feel like you bombed a station or two. I remember during one station, I saw one of my raters write down "0/3: F" next to my name, but I just picked myself up and tried to excel at other stations. The whole interview day is set up so that you have multiple chances to show who you are. Overall, relax and enjoy the experience. They love the optimism and upbeat personalities!

Having been accepted here, I think I can provide some sound advice for the interview process. First, the interview day is very long and exhausting. I could not wait to take a nap after that day. You'll face:

- A 1:1 Interview with Faculty
- MMI Stations
- MMI Roleplay
- Team/Group Activity

I would say for most of them, be yourself and be familiar with your application. Overall, be familiar with osteopathy and its tenets, but that is normal for almost every DO interview. Be able to work well with others, but also make sure your voice is heard during the group activity.

Congrats!

Don't get down if you feel like you bombed a station or two. I remember during one station, I saw one of my raters write down "0/3: F" next to my name, but I just picked myself up and tried to excel at other stations. The whole interview day is set up so that you have multiple chances to show who you are. Overall, relax and enjoy the experience. They love the optimism and upbeat personalities!

This.

I remember I bombed a station and felt like my career had ended, but I picked myself up and continued forward. I got accepted a few weeks later. They may or may not throw hard prompts/questions at you to see how you react. Don't let tiny mistakes get to you. There are many chances to prove yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if you're referring to the admission fee or pre-registration fee. Admission fee due 12.14.19.

Thank you! I'm not sure which one. I got accepted pending an open seat and was wondering what date the accepted students were told to make a deposit before giving up their seat.

Interviewing here this coming Friday. Do I need to come prepared with a ranking of my CHC choices? Or is this something they ask for shortly after acceptance?

Okay fam. I'm trying to decide between KCU, ATSU-SOMA, and TUNCOM.

KCU: Loved the campus and the vibe, and the statistics concerning boards and match placement speaks for itself. However, I don't have any connections to KC and my family is on the west coast, so I'm wanting to try and stay in KC throughout my clerkships as well, but I understand it's based on lottery. So 3rd and 4th year are up in the air on location.

ATSU-SOMA: Smaller campus, kind of cramped with other professional programs (PA, PT, OT, etc.); very small anatomy lab (~4 tables, ~10 students per cadaver), heavy emphasis on primary care and virtual anatomy; assigned to the Portland CHC (my fave city in the world), so 1 year in AZ, 3ish in Portland, so I'm stable. Vibed super well with students there; nervous about 1+3 curriculum

TUNCOM: Strange campus (felt like a Costco warehouse, no windows in the study areas which I NEED); great match and board pass rates; awesome SIM center; close and easy access to large airport and west coast; stay in Las Vegas valley all four years with clerkships.

HELP MY FRIENDS PLS.

KCU: Loved the campus and the vibe, and the statistics concerning boards and match placement speaks for itself. However, I don't have any connections to KC and my family is on the west coast, so I'm wanting to try and stay in KC throughout my clerkships as well, but I understand it's based on lottery. So 3rd and 4th year are up in the air on location.

ATSU-SOMA: Smaller campus, kind of cramped with other professional programs (PA, PT, OT, etc.); very small anatomy lab (~4 tables, ~10 students per cadaver), heavy emphasis on primary care and virtual anatomy; assigned to the Portland CHC (my fave city in the world), so 1 year in AZ, 3ish in Portland, so I'm stable. Vibed super well with students there; nervous about 1+3 curriculum

TUNCOM: Strange campus (felt like a Costco warehouse, no windows in the study areas which I NEED); great match and board pass rates; awesome SIM center; close and easy access to large airport and west coast; stay in Las Vegas valley all four years with clerkships.

HELP MY FRIENDS PLS.

Did you make a post on the “Help me Decide” forum? I’d be happy to give my (unprofessional) opinion but don’t want to derail this thread.

Did you make a post on the “Help me Decide” forum? I’d be happy to give my (unprofessional) opinion but don’t want to derail this thread.
I didn't realize there was that forum! Thanks for letting me know! Feel free to PM me with your opinion though. I value everyone's thoughts lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

HELP MY FRIENDS PLS.

It seems you have a toss up between KCU and SOMA. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but the chance to live in your favorite city in the world for three years and possibly more (residency onwards) is extremely appealing. Obviously I'm biased since I'm committed to SOMA, but I think if you believe you can succeed in the 1+3 curriculum with independent learning and being in a cohort of 10 then I would pick SOMA.

If you're hesitant I would get multiple opinions specifically on the 1+3 curriculum from current and past students. I also vibed well with the current students, faculty, and interviewees and I saw myself enjoying my one year in Phoenix and then being shipped off somewhere closer to home. The curriculum is definitely not for everyone, but I'm excited!

It seems you have a toss up between KCU and SOMA. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but the chance to live in your favorite city in the world for three years and possibly more (residency onwards) is extremely appealing. Obviously I'm biased since I'm committed to SOMA, but I think if you believe you can succeed in the 1+3 curriculum with independent learning and being in a cohort of 10 then I would pick SOMA.

If you're hesitant I would get multiple opinions specifically on the 1+3 curriculum from current and past students. I also vibed well with the current students, faculty, and interviewees and I saw myself enjoying my one year in Phoenix and then being shipped off somewhere closer to home. The curriculum is definitely not for everyone, but I'm excited!
Completely agree with everything you said! You explained exactly how I felt on interview day myself.

I will add that this school is not shy about its mission to serve the underserved, hence the CHC training, as well as heavy primary care influence. Probably moreso than other schools

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Completely agree with everything you said! You explained exactly how I felt on interview day myself.

I will add that this school is not shy about its mission to serve the underserved, hence the CHC training, as well as heavy primary care influence. Probably moreso than other schools

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Agree. Current fourth year. SOMA really emphasizes and breathes its mission. If you do not want to learn with mostly underserved populations SOMA is not for you. That being said, if you're interested outside of primary care its doable and people do it but SOMA really emphasizes primary care.

Anyone that interviewed on 11/8 hear back yet? I think I remember them saying 2-3 weeks but I may be wrong on that.

Does anyone know what acceptance off the alternate list has been like in previous years?

From reading SOMA webpage, I got the impression that the program is more problem-based learning rather than traditional lecture learning. Can someone comment on if this is true, or is it a mix of both?

From reading SOMA webpage, I got the impression that the program is more problem-based learning rather than traditional lecture learning. Can someone comment on if this is true, or is it a mix of both?
current fourth year, the curriculum might have changed, but when i was a first year we had small groups 1-2x a week which included problem-based learning, but majority was traditional lectures.

current fourth year, the curriculum might have changed, but when i was a first year we had small groups 1-2x a week which included problem-based learning, but majority was traditional lectures.

Thanks for clearing that up! I don’t remember curriculum / class structure details except 1+3 model being brought up on interview day, so maybe it won’t deviate much.
From your experience, is the second year pretty similar? Except for the distance-learning part? (I assumed it’s distance learning, please correct me if I’m wrong)

Is applying right now not worth it? Does anyone have any information on they class size/ how many they plan to interview?

Is applying right now not worth it? Does anyone have any information on they class size/ how many they plan to interview?
You’re getting nervous about getting MD so you’re jumping to DO? No it’s not too late for any DO schools throw in your applications now though. Good luck.

Know that acceptances here are now pending and open seat which will most likely open up when people need to pay deposits in December.

You’re getting nervous about getting MD so you’re jumping to DO? No it’s not too late for any DO schools throw in your applications now though. Good luck.

Know that acceptances here are now pending and open seat which will most likely open up when people need to pay deposits in December.

I always wanted to do D.O. but did not qualify for fee assistance so I had to take time to save money for these ones! Thanks for the reassurance though!

Interviewed 11/22
Accepted 12/3/19:D

I believe its a full acceptance because, in the email, it doesn't say pending seat or anything like that.

Could you also pm me an updated list of the CHCs? I'm trying to rank them today!
When you go to the site to rank them it will tell you which ones have a waitlist. I ranked them over a month ago so my list if no longer up to date.

Hey! I'm a bit late to catch this, but you may have been unintentionally misinformed on your tour of the anatomy lab. There are two rooms in the anatomy lab that connect for a total of 8 tables with 5 students at each cadaver. I love it here. Hope this helps!

Anyone have random unconscious fears that their CHC somehow falls through? I've already been placed but my CHC is new, hasn't had a cohort yet, and the location was an important part in my decision making.

Hello friends! Just got my seat at SOMA today, and am waiting on the email with the acceptance agreement, CHC prematch, etc.

Is the acceptance agreement binding? They only give you 48 hours to respond, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a bunch of schools and have more interviews next month :/

Also how expensive is the deposit? lol

Hello friends! Just got my seat at SOMA today, and am waiting on the email with the acceptance agreement, CHC prematch, etc.

Is the acceptance agreement binding? They only give you 48 hours to respond, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a bunch of schools and have more interviews next month :/

Also how expensive is the deposit? lol
First Deposit is $1000
Second $1000 is due May 1, 2021.

The first deposit/acceptance fee is not binding.

no its 48 hours to accept the seat once its offered to you haha
otherwise they close your application to their school

then after you accept the seat, they'll send you emails with directions for what to do next, which includes submitting a deposit

for current students how do y'all feel about the 1+3 system of being on campus for only 1 year?

What do you mean not binding? You can get it refunded?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

No refunds.

The first deposit holds your CHC spot.
The second deposit confirms your spot in SOMA.

During the interview I was told by one of the students that she was able to get a 2/1 apartment for around $600, but all I see online is $850+ for 1/1 or a studio. I am curious to know how much rent is actually going to be. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Any current students here that can provide some info?

During the interview I was told by one of the students that she was able to get a 2/1 apartment for around $600, but all I see online is $850+ for 1/1 or a studio. I am curious to know how much rent is actually going to be. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Any current students here that can provide some info?

Current applicant, not a current student. I'm from Mesa and live in a neighboring city rn. There's plenty of incredibly affordable housing within 10-15 minutes of the campus. You might want to look into other forms of housing, like renting a house/townhouse/condo for the year with some other students. If you're going to have a car (which is pretty essential to get literally anywhere in the valley), I would not worry at all about finding a place right next to campus. Traffic in Mesa isn't an issue, so your drive to campus would not be bad at all.

Current applicant, not a current student. I'm from Mesa and live in a neighboring city rn. There's plenty of incredibly affordable housing within 10-15 minutes of the campus. You might want to look into other forms of housing, like renting a house/townhouse/condo for the year with some other students. If you're going to have a car (which is pretty essential to get literally anywhere in the valley), I would not worry at all about finding a place right next to campus. Traffic in Mesa isn't an issue, so your drive to campus would not be bad at all.
Thank you!

Are there any neighborhoods that I should avoid?

no its 48 hours to accept the seat once its offered to you haha
otherwise they close your application to their school

then after you accept the seat, they'll send you emails with directions for what to do next, which includes submitting a deposit

We don't have to rank our CHCs within the 48 hours right?

For those who are going to be renting or have been renting, how did you guys do it/ or how will you do it?

Any current students have any opinions on these places for rent?

Stone Canyon
Waterford
Colonial Grand

I've narrowed down my search, but I don't think I'll be able to visit and see the apartment until I actually move in so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :D