Pre-Medical
For those accepted, there is a Facebook page! Search:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Class of 2024

Reactions: cheezyspartan
About the Ads
Feb 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Have most people who had an interview scheduled that got cancelled due to coronavirus had it rescheduled yet? Mine was supposed to be 3/17 and I still haven't heard from them re: a remote interview
Mine was scheduled for early April and they reached out a little over a week ago to confirm it would be at the same time and date, but via Zoom. Haven't sent out further details beyond that though

HPV

2+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2018
Mine was scheduled for early April and they reached out a little over a week ago to confirm it would be at the same time and date, but via Zoom. Haven't sent out further details beyond that though
Hey can you say when your original interview was scheduled?

Mine was scheduled for the 13th of March and they haven’t reached out yet so I’m worried

Reactions: I_AmTheDoctorNow
Mar 23, 2020
I'm too lazy to go back but has anyone been accepted without having to go to the second interview?

Also another question did anyone else get a complete application email and and interview invite on the same day?

Last edited:

petitedoc

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2014
Does anyone know if they've sent out most of the scholarships already? I was accepted in February and have not heard anything back regarding scholarship information, but have seen a few people on sdn mention scholarships they've received.

Reactions: curlyfry2
Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if they've sent out most of the scholarships already? I was accepted in February and have not heard anything back regarding scholarship information, but have seen a few people on sdn mention scholarships they've received.
I believe they have. Some people have received merit scholarships before receiving information from financial aid. Financial aid packages should be sent out either the end of this week or early next week.

Jun 30, 2018
I'm too lazy to go back but has anyone been accepted without having to go to the second interview?

Also another question did anyone else get a complete application email and and interview invite on the same day?
From my understanding, I don't think its super common to get a second interview regardless of if you're accepted, WL'd, or rejected

About the Ads
Jul 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I interviewed on Feb 28th. They said 2-4 weeks and it’s reaching that 4 week part. I can FEEL the R coming or the WL
I also interviewed on Feb 28th and earlier in this thread someone else who interviewed on this same day posted about being HPWL'd. That leads me to believe that we could be awaiting an A or the R maybe?

Sep 27, 2018
I also interviewed on Feb 28th and earlier in this thread someone else who interviewed on this same day posted about being HPWL'd. That leads me to believe that we could be awaiting an A or the R maybe?
Can you quote that post if you don’t mind? Thanks!

Mar 23, 2020
Sep 27, 2018
Since they do it bi-weekly we could be hearing back this week
I hope that’s the case, I just worry that the Covid situation has slowed them down, especially because Zoom interview people haven’t even been scheduled yet. Totally understandable though, just frustrating

Mar 23, 2020
Sorry, just to clarify -- how do you know they do it biweekly? Also, has anyone on HPWL heard back?
At my interview I asked the admissions and students how soon should we hear back. They said about 2-4 weeks and they usually meet twice a month. So a meeting every two weeks.

Reactions: covfefe19
About the Ads
Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Apr 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do applicants on the HPWL need to submit financial aid materials by March 27th (not including FAFSA, which I already submitted months ago)? I don't think we do (judging by the website and it stating that the Marc 27th deadline applies to admitted students), but I just wanted to double check with y'all to see if anyone has any additional info. Thanks :)

Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do applicants on the HPWL need to submit financial aid materials by March 27th (not including FAFSA, which I already submitted months ago)? I don't think we do (judging by the website and it stating that the Marc 27th deadline applies to admitted students), but I just wanted to double check with y'all to see if anyone has any additional info. Thanks :)
From what I remember only accepted applicants need to submit financial aid materials but those on any waitlist/have an interview can add a medical school on their FAFSA.

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
einstein 4th years to work as unpaid interns

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
einstein 4th years to work as unpaid interns

This is allowed through Gov. Cuomo's executive order, and it isn't compulsory. I agree that they should be compensated but -- at the minimum -- the MS4's will be allowed to contribute to the direct provision of care.

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
This is allowed through Gov. Cuomo's executive order, and it isn't compulsory. I agree that they should be compensated but -- at the minimum -- the MS4's will be allowed to contribute to the direct provision of care.
I think it may be compulsory? Check out the picture of the email - last line of the 2nd to last paragraph

Jul 28, 2018
I think it may be compulsory? Check out the picture of the email - last line of the 2nd to last paragraph
Stuff like this makes me question whether I would matriculate here if I were to get an A. How could you think it is a good idea to send in M4s who probably dgaf at this point into a situation where the risk of getting infected is high and supply of PPE is low.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If anyone is curious, here is the full announcement involving M4s Latest Updates | Coronavirus Updates | Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Given that this situation is notably unprecedented, schools are going to have to make equally unprecedented decisions, and it really seems like institutions are making the most of the resources they have to help as many people as possible.

About the Ads

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
I think this is why you go into healthcare and even as a med student the day you put on that white coat, you have a duty to help.
People also go into healthcare with an expectation of being financially compensated. It’s weird that NYU is paying them, but Einstein isn’t

Reactions: Gabgab and HPV

Acm8989

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
People also go into healthcare with an expectation of being financially compensated. It’s weird that NYU is paying them, but Einstein isn’t
I imagine NYU will be paying them because they will have graduated early and will be MD’s. Current MS4’s lack the official degree required to be hired and compensated as such.

Aug 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
NYU students are only being given the opportunity to graduate and get paid for their work if they have already met all of their graduation requirements, while Einstein students are being asked to do it as part of their required sub-internships for graduation. Different choices for different situations in a historic pandemic.

Mar 19, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else with a cancelled March interview just get an email asking only to reach out to them to reschedule if you are "keenly" interested in Einstein?

Am I the only one that strikes as a bit odd?

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
NYU students are only being given the opportunity to graduate and get paid for their work if they have already met all of their graduation requirements, while Einstein students are being asked to do it as part of their required sub-internships for graduation. Different choices for different situations in a historic pandemic.
I mean is there a reason why NYU can graduate students early, but Einstein can’t? I think the situations between NYU and Einstein aren’t all too different, besides some administrative differences?

I just think overall it seems unfair not to compensate students

determined293

7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I mean is there a reason why NYU can graduate students early, but Einstein can’t? I think the situations between NYU and Einstein aren’t all too different, besides some administrative differences?

the situation between the two schools are vastly different. You forget nyu has enough money to forgo student tuition. A pandemic does not change the dispatities that exist in healthcare and the resources that all of these hospitals and med schools have at baseline.

Acm8989

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Under any other circumstances, students asking to be paid would be laughable. And in the setting of an emergency, where funds are tight and resources are running low, paying ungraduated students would be a gross misuse of funds. NYU is probably offering compensation as a way to appeal to students willing to graduate early, whereas Einstein is taking a different approach. These aren’t job offers, they’re desperate attempts to support hospitals in the midst of a pandemic.

Dec 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else with a cancelled March interview just get an email asking only to reach out to them to reschedule if you are "keenly" interested in Einstein?

Am I the only one that strikes as a bit odd?
I got this too! I think theyre just working overtime to reschedule so they don’t want you to reschedule unless you’d really consider the school if accepted. Is a bit strange but i think they’re just understandably stressed trying to accommodate everyone

JPmoleymole

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just want to chime in here as current medical student at a different school in New York.

For all you students with options, I think you should really step back and think about matriculating here.

Yes, we are in the middle of a pandemic and it is easy to take the martyr approach, but just understand this decision is universally being seen as absurd by the medical community.

JPmoleymole

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

curbsideconsult

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I think this is why you go into healthcare and even as a med student the day you put on that white coat, you have a duty to help.
This is ridiculous. Think of this in another context. Would anyone ask student teachers to do a teacher's job without compensation? People in the police academy? Nursing students? Do you think physicians who are also young hospital administrators are giving up their salaries to go back to clinical work? Of course not. They will happily continue to accept their fat paychecks.

You not only have a duty to help, but you also have a duty to yourself. All that talk of student wellness and well-being clearly goes out the window as soon as crap hits the fan. Physician =/= martyr.

FWIW, there are plenty of schools that provided online options for graduation requirements. Your goal as a STUDENT is to learn and clinical rotations are there for that purpose and that purpose alone. Residency is the apprenticeship where you learn on the job. It is paid. Obviously not much, but at least you're getting paid. I, as a future resident, would kick any student out during a time like this, even if they volunteered to do so, because it's not worth it and it is not your time or place. Many people have been pointing out there's no difference between a 4th year with a few weeks left until graduation and a brand new intern so why not let students "volunteer." You can flip that argument around and say if there's no difference, then let them graduate early, like NYU did, and give them the option of getting paid and getting full coverage health insurance.

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
Do you think we should factor this into our decision to attend Einstein?

While the decision reflects the administration, its such an improbable event (meaning the pandemic) and would likely not happen again

About the Ads