2019-2020 Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it may be compulsory? Check out the picture of the email - last line of the 2nd to last paragraph
If anyone is curious, here is the full announcement involving M4s Latest Updates | Coronavirus Updates | Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Given that this situation is notably unprecedented, schools are going to have to make equally unprecedented decisions, and it really seems like institutions are making the most of the resources they have to help as many people as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I think this is why you go into healthcare and even as a med student the day you put on that white coat, you have a duty to help.

Reactions: 5 users
People also go into healthcare with an expectation of being financially compensated. It’s weird that NYU is paying them, but Einstein isn’t

I imagine NYU will be paying them because they will have graduated early and will be MD’s. Current MS4’s lack the official degree required to be hired and compensated as such.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People also go into healthcare with an expectation of being financially compensated. It’s weird that NYU is paying them, but Einstein isn’t
NYU students are only being given the opportunity to graduate and get paid for their work if they have already met all of their graduation requirements, while Einstein students are being asked to do it as part of their required sub-internships for graduation. Different choices for different situations in a historic pandemic.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else with a cancelled March interview just get an email asking only to reach out to them to reschedule if you are "keenly" interested in Einstein?

Am I the only one that strikes as a bit odd?

I mean is there a reason why NYU can graduate students early, but Einstein can’t? I think the situations between NYU and Einstein aren’t all too different, besides some administrative differences?

I just think overall it seems unfair not to compensate students
the situation between the two schools are vastly different. You forget nyu has enough money to forgo student tuition. A pandemic does not change the dispatities that exist in healthcare and the resources that all of these hospitals and med schools have at baseline.

I mean is there a reason why NYU can graduate students early, but Einstein can’t? I think the situations between NYU and Einstein aren’t all too different, besides some administrative differences?

I just think overall it seems unfair not to compensate students

Under any other circumstances, students asking to be paid would be laughable. And in the setting of an emergency, where funds are tight and resources are running low, paying ungraduated students would be a gross misuse of funds. NYU is probably offering compensation as a way to appeal to students willing to graduate early, whereas Einstein is taking a different approach. These aren’t job offers, they’re desperate attempts to support hospitals in the midst of a pandemic.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Have anyone of you that haven't heard back yet sent in a Letter of Intent or interest?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else with a cancelled March interview just get an email asking only to reach out to them to reschedule if you are "keenly" interested in Einstein?

Am I the only one that strikes as a bit odd?
I got this too! I think theyre just working overtime to reschedule so they don’t want you to reschedule unless you’d really consider the school if accepted. Is a bit strange but i think they’re just understandably stressed trying to accommodate everyone

Just want to chime in here as current medical student at a different school in New York.

For all you students with options, I think you should really step back and think about matriculating here.

Yes, we are in the middle of a pandemic and it is easy to take the martyr approach, but just understand this decision is universally being seen as absurd by the medical community.

I think this is why you go into healthcare and even as a med student the day you put on that white coat, you have a duty to help.

There literally is not enough PPE. No student has the duty to put themselves in a dangerous scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's really important to cite sources right now if you are going to mention the medical community.
Do you live in NY? Are you from here? Because based off your replies you clearly don't understand the gravity of the situation and what is actually going on here. It is very bad in NY right now.

This is ridiculous. Think of this in another context. Would anyone ask student teachers to do a teacher's job without compensation? People in the police academy? Nursing students? Do you think physicians who are also young hospital administrators are giving up their salaries to go back to clinical work? Of course not. They will happily continue to accept their fat paychecks.

You not only have a duty to help, but you also have a duty to yourself. All that talk of student wellness and well-being clearly goes out the window as soon as crap hits the fan. Physician =/= martyr.

FWIW, there are plenty of schools that provided online options for graduation requirements. Your goal as a STUDENT is to learn and clinical rotations are there for that purpose and that purpose alone. Residency is the apprenticeship where you learn on the job. It is paid. Obviously not much, but at least you're getting paid. I, as a future resident, would kick any student out during a time like this, even if they volunteered to do so, because it's not worth it and it is not your time or place. Many people have been pointing out there's no difference between a 4th year with a few weeks left until graduation and a brand new intern so why not let students "volunteer." You can flip that argument around and say if there's no difference, then let them graduate early, like NYU did, and give them the option of getting paid and getting full coverage health insurance.

• Love
Do you think we should factor this into our decision to attend Einstein?

While the decision reflects the administration, its such an improbable event (meaning the pandemic) and would likely not happen again

I think right now is the best time to look at how schools are handling things. The decisions administrators make now really show where their priories are - and it doesn’t appear that student wellness is high on the list at Einstein

Here is an article that touches on the lack of PPE: As supplies grow scarce in New York City, medical workers fear becoming patients themselves

Good for you for looking for sources, but if you have any friends or acquaintances in NY, just ask them - this is common knowledge
Do you live in NY? Are you from here? Because based off your replies you clearly don't understand the gravity of the situation and what is actually going on here. It is very bad in NY right now.
So I don't want to argue with you guys. I want to have a real discussion so lets try to keep hostility low lol. I work very close to NYC as an EMT. It's a really underserved area. To give you an idea, we dont go on calls with police unless it's like a shooting or stabbing or cardiac arrest. We carry around our own personal tourniquets as a precaution. And according to our hospital the current situation doesn't warrant hazard pay which a lot of my coworkers are pissed about. So let me preface my own opinion with saying I am part of the medical community and despite being an incoming medical student, I am still working at a time like this and handling the increased workload because obviously violence, mental health issues and homelessness dont just go away in times like these. In fact, domestics are probably going to go up soon. Hell we're going into calls blind because it was already a crazy flu season. Everybody showing some of the covid 19 symptoms!!!

The article cited did not mention anything about students being recruited to help so I don't think that was a good article to cite. It did mention the shortages in staff and resources which I wholly agree with. That's not just NYC tho that's everywhere right now! I mean Holy Name in Teaneck, very close to NYC, is stretched to the brink right now. So don't try to make it seem like NYC is unique in its issue.

I don't really know how to respond to your other feelings. All I can tell you is that some areas were underserved before and now, it's even worse. So just try to understand that many places were already at capacity in terms of workers. Money to pay people doesnt just pop out of thin air. There's a budget that people stick to. I think that's definitely play here with this issue. My opinion still stands though. I think joining the medical community you are a hero. And I no means judge any of you for being scared or not wanting to help. I just think if you do help and make this sacrifice, you are absolutely awesome. Like there;s only so many times you an step up to the plate. What a time to be alive guys! lol

• Okay...
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
So I don't want to argue with you guys. I want to have a real discussion so lets try to keep hostility low lol. I work very close to NYC as an EMT. It's a really underserved area. To give you an idea, we dont go on calls with police unless it's like a shooting or stabbing or cardiac arrest. We carry around our own personal tourniquets as a precaution. And according to our hospital the current situation doesn't warrant hazard pay which a lot of my coworkers are pissed about. So let me preface my own opinion with saying I am part of the medical community and despite being an incoming medical student, I am still working at a time like this and handling the increased workload because obviously violence, mental health issues and homelessness dont just go away in times like these. In fact, domestics are probably going to go up soon. Hell we're going into calls blind because it was already a crazy flu season. Everybody showing some of the covid 19 symptoms!!!

The article cited did not mention anything about students being recruited to help so I don't think that was a good article to cite. It did mention the shortages in staff and resources which I wholly agree with. That's not just NYC tho that's everywhere right now! I mean Holy Name in Teaneck, very close to NYC, is stretched to the brink right now. So don't try to make it seem like NYC is unique in its issue.

I don't really know how to respond to your other feelings. All I can tell you is that some areas were underserved before and now, it's even worse. So just try to understand that many places were already at capacity in terms of workers. Money to pay people doesnt just pop out of thin air. There's a budget that people stick to. I think that's definitely play here with this issue. My opinion still stands though. I think joining the medical community you are a hero. And I no means judge any of you for being scared or not wanting to help. I just think if you do help and make this sacrifice, you are absolutely awesome. Like there;s only so many times you an step up to the plate. What a time to be alive guys! lol

Again, good for you for helping out. I posted the article about lack of PPE when you asked about lack of PPE. If you are looking for sources on how this is universally being seen as a bad idea, just check out this reddit thread:

Unfortunately, this might just be what Einstein wants - this kind of policy will just self select for the types of students who can be more easily taken advantage of

Do you think we should factor this into our decision to attend Einstein?

While the decision reflects the administration, its such an improbable event (meaning the pandemic) and would likely not happen again

So after clarification from the school administration, these unpaid SubI's are a completely voluntary commitment even after 4/6 and those with remaining requirements such as SubI or neuro can do an alternative virtual experiences to meet graduation requirements. No one will be forced into direct patient care if they don't want to. Needless to say though, the email sent yesterday was vague and suggested otherwise, and the fact that they waited a day to clarify this was incredibly poor form. From what i've heard, the majority of the class will not be volunteering to do this. I know we're in unprecedented times with a shortage of health care workers during a pandemic, but the fact that einstein's solution to this is having MS4's volunteer on the floors with no guarantee of PPE, pay, or basic health/disability insurance, while other NYC schools have already figured out how to graduate their students early and pay them to work as interns more so reflects issues within Monte itself (i.e. likely not having enough money and wanting to cut costs as much as possible). So use that information as you will in your decision to come here.
I will say that I've overall had a great experience and felt supported throughout my time at Einstein, but the handling of this pandemic has been very disappointing.

Reactions: 14 users
I just got my financial aid last night. My EFC is zero but all they show me is like 40k in loans? Does anyone know how that works and how is the rest covered?

I just emailed and they essentially told me all they’re giving me is the $40k in loans and the rest I just have to figure out myself with potentially grad plus loans as someone mentioned above. So basically zero financial aid. Thanks Einstein lol

• Wow
Can someone briefly explain how financial aid works/what a strong package would be like? Working with FAFSA and loans is new to me, so a lot of this is a different language.

Just withdrew from here; was going to anyway but I very much disagree with their responses to the corona virus outbreak. Hope one of you get in

Reactions: 5 users
Can someone briefly explain how financial aid works/what a strong package would be like? Working with FAFSA and loans is new to me, so a lot of this is a different language.

First step is completing your fafsa and listing the schools. Second step would be requesting a loan. FSA has a tutorial that walks you through the process so you know how to budget/etc. To actually put forth a loan request you need to submit an MPN. The MPN is also on the FSA website. Since we are gonna be grad students it's the direct unsubsidized loan. After you get your MPN approved by the school, they offer you a financial package (which is usually the max they allow for unsubsidized loans) for a Med School that I got accepted to, their max was around 47k and I got somewhere around there. You need to accept/decline these rewards. To cover the rest of the fees you need to take out a Direct PLUS loan, which offers you a package based on your need which is determined by credit score(so obviously the better the credit score the better chance you have of getting a good loan). The Direct plus loan follows the same steps as the Direct Unsubsidized loan with it's own MPN (Direct PLUS Loan MPN)

You can also apply for grants and scholarships, naturally to help cover costs.

• Love
Anyone have any update about whether Zoom interviewees are definitely interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Has anyone received a confirmation of their zoom interview?
No :( emailed Mary Pace after the email admissions sent and she said she would let me know but I haven’t gotten anything yet. I think they’re really overwhelmed

Does anyone know if they match other school’s scholarships?

current students, do you pay rent for all 12 months of the year? what happens in summer if you leave campus?
Yeah you pay rent for all 12 months. The only summer you don't have classes is your first summer so even if you leave that summer that's only like 2 months of rent you're paying without being there.

thanks! what is your thought on cars? do students need them?
I spoke to some of the students that currently go there about that. Only like 20% of the 1st years there have cars and they get by fine due to public transportation and stuff. But obviously having a car would makes stuff a lot easier.

• Love
Random question - sorry if this has already been asked - does anyone know what’s going on with the immunizations/physical deadline? Spoke to my doc today - not performing any physicals until July.

Random question - sorry if this has already been asked - does anyone know what’s going on with the immunizations/physical deadline? Spoke to my doc today - not performing any physicals until July.
+1 would like to know also

LMAOOOOOO YALL einstein sent me an email ROASTING me for not replying to their scholarship offer?? even though I literally already sent in my withdrawal?? Verbatim quote, "We hope that you will show more professionalism in the future"....,,,,,,HEWWO???? :eek:
had me going
1585598178650.png

I tried to reply nicely, because apparently patience is in short supply these days, but I'm so baffled, like.....einstein, what is going ON with yall lately? I'm imaging it like
1585597845518.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
LMAOOOOOO YALL einstein sent me an email ROASTING me for not replying to their scholarship offer?? even though I literally already sent in my withdrawal?? Verbatim quote, "We hope that you will show more professionalism in the future"....,,,,,,HEWWO???? :eek:
had me going
View attachment 300344
I tried to reply nicely, because apparently patience is in short supply these days, but I'm so baffled, like.....einstein, what is going ON with yall lately? I'm imaging it like
View attachment 300341
Yikesss

• Haha
+1. I also wonder what's going to happen for move-in. I think I remember seeing somewhere that move-in dates are pretty flexible starting sometime in July, but given the current state of NYC, I wouldn't be surprised if on-campus move-in is affected. Not to mention those who are looking for off-campus housing, or anyone whose lease may be expiring in June.

+1. I also wonder what's going to happen for move-in. I think I remember seeing somewhere that move-in dates are pretty flexible starting sometime in July, but given the current state of NYC, I wouldn't be surprised if on-campus move-in is affected. Not to mention those who are looking for off-campus housing, or anyone whose lease may be expiring in June.

called about the immunizations/titers/physical deadline...essentially everything is in flux. Student health office told me to be prepared to send any of the records I might have, even if it doesn't encompass all of the requirements. My assumption is most of us will have what we need aside from the requirements that have "within the past year" aspects. But, as with everything, it's all in flux right now. Essentially - just hold tight and try to set up a doc appt until further info is dispersed.

Can anyone speak to Einstein’s drop in ranking this year ?

Can anyone speak to Einstein’s drop in ranking this year ?
Their ranking pretty much didn't change. In USNews it dropped 2 spots and went up 3 in PD rankings (although there are a lot of schools tied for ranking in this range). This is a negligible change overall