JPmoleymole

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do you think we should factor this into our decision to attend Einstein?

While the decision reflects the administration, its such an improbable event (meaning the pandemic) and would likely not happen again
I think right now is the best time to look at how schools are handling things. The decisions administrators make now really show where their priories are - and it doesn’t appear that student wellness is high on the list at Einstein

determined293

7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Here is an article that touches on the lack of PPE: As supplies grow scarce in New York City, medical workers fear becoming patients themselves

Good for you for looking for sources, but if you have any friends or acquaintances in NY, just ask them - this is common knowledge
Do you live in NY? Are you from here? Because based off your replies you clearly don't understand the gravity of the situation and what is actually going on here. It is very bad in NY right now.
So I don't want to argue with you guys. I want to have a real discussion so lets try to keep hostility low lol. I work very close to NYC as an EMT. It's a really underserved area. To give you an idea, we dont go on calls with police unless it's like a shooting or stabbing or cardiac arrest. We carry around our own personal tourniquets as a precaution. And according to our hospital the current situation doesn't warrant hazard pay which a lot of my coworkers are pissed about. So let me preface my own opinion with saying I am part of the medical community and despite being an incoming medical student, I am still working at a time like this and handling the increased workload because obviously violence, mental health issues and homelessness dont just go away in times like these. In fact, domestics are probably going to go up soon. Hell we're going into calls blind because it was already a crazy flu season. Everybody showing some of the covid 19 symptoms!!!

The article cited did not mention anything about students being recruited to help so I don't think that was a good article to cite. It did mention the shortages in staff and resources which I wholly agree with. That's not just NYC tho that's everywhere right now! I mean Holy Name in Teaneck, very close to NYC, is stretched to the brink right now. So don't try to make it seem like NYC is unique in its issue.

I don't really know how to respond to your other feelings. All I can tell you is that some areas were underserved before and now, it's even worse. So just try to understand that many places were already at capacity in terms of workers. Money to pay people doesnt just pop out of thin air. There's a budget that people stick to. I think that's definitely play here with this issue. My opinion still stands though. I think joining the medical community you are a hero. And I no means judge any of you for being scared or not wanting to help. I just think if you do help and make this sacrifice, you are absolutely awesome. Like there;s only so many times you an step up to the plate. What a time to be alive guys! lol

JPmoleymole

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2016
Status
So I don't want to argue with you guys. I want to have a real discussion so lets try to keep hostility low lol. I work very close to NYC as an EMT. It's a really underserved area. To give you an idea, we dont go on calls with police unless it's like a shooting or stabbing or cardiac arrest. We carry around our own personal tourniquets as a precaution. And according to our hospital the current situation doesn't warrant hazard pay which a lot of my coworkers are pissed about. So let me preface my own opinion with saying I am part of the medical community and despite being an incoming medical student, I am still working at a time like this and handling the increased workload because obviously violence, mental health issues and homelessness dont just go away in times like these. In fact, domestics are probably going to go up soon. Hell we're going into calls blind because it was already a crazy flu season. Everybody showing some of the covid 19 symptoms!!!

The article cited did not mention anything about students being recruited to help so I don't think that was a good article to cite. It did mention the shortages in staff and resources which I wholly agree with. That's not just NYC tho that's everywhere right now! I mean Holy Name in Teaneck, very close to NYC, is stretched to the brink right now. So don't try to make it seem like NYC is unique in its issue.

I don't really know how to respond to your other feelings. All I can tell you is that some areas were underserved before and now, it's even worse. So just try to understand that many places were already at capacity in terms of workers. Money to pay people doesnt just pop out of thin air. There's a budget that people stick to. I think that's definitely play here with this issue. My opinion still stands though. I think joining the medical community you are a hero. And I no means judge any of you for being scared or not wanting to help. I just think if you do help and make this sacrifice, you are absolutely awesome. Like there;s only so many times you an step up to the plate. What a time to be alive guys! lol
Again, good for you for helping out. I posted the article about lack of PPE when you asked about lack of PPE. If you are looking for sources on how this is universally being seen as a bad idea, just check out this reddit thread:
Unfortunately, this might just be what Einstein wants - this kind of policy will just self select for the types of students who can be more easily taken advantage of

About the Ads

kdn92

2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Do you think we should factor this into our decision to attend Einstein?

While the decision reflects the administration, its such an improbable event (meaning the pandemic) and would likely not happen again
So after clarification from the school administration, these unpaid SubI's are a completely voluntary commitment even after 4/6 and those with remaining requirements such as SubI or neuro can do an alternative virtual experiences to meet graduation requirements. No one will be forced into direct patient care if they don't want to. Needless to say though, the email sent yesterday was vague and suggested otherwise, and the fact that they waited a day to clarify this was incredibly poor form. From what i've heard, the majority of the class will not be volunteering to do this. I know we're in unprecedented times with a shortage of health care workers during a pandemic, but the fact that einstein's solution to this is having MS4's volunteer on the floors with no guarantee of PPE, pay, or basic health/disability insurance, while other NYC schools have already figured out how to graduate their students early and pay them to work as interns more so reflects issues within Monte itself (i.e. likely not having enough money and wanting to cut costs as much as possible). So use that information as you will in your decision to come here.
I will say that I've overall had a great experience and felt supported throughout my time at Einstein, but the handling of this pandemic has been very disappointing.

Jan 10, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got my financial aid last night. My EFC is zero but all they show me is like 40k in loans? Does anyone know how that works and how is the rest covered?

Reactions: curlyfry2
Aug 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know when they are going to release the next waive of decisions?
It's been a few weeks since the last one, so hopefully soon (?). But we can't really predict much based on previous trends since the pandemic is definitely going to slow things down

Jan 10, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I just emailed and they essentially told me all they’re giving me is the $40k in loans and the rest I just have to figure out myself with potentially grad plus loans as someone mentioned above. So basically zero financial aid. Thanks Einstein lol

Sep 27, 2018
Can someone briefly explain how financial aid works/what a strong package would be like? Working with FAFSA and loans is new to me, so a lot of this is a different language.

Reactions: citymed50
Mar 23, 2020
Can someone briefly explain how financial aid works/what a strong package would be like? Working with FAFSA and loans is new to me, so a lot of this is a different language.
First step is completing your fafsa and listing the schools. Second step would be requesting a loan. FSA has a tutorial that walks you through the process so you know how to budget/etc. To actually put forth a loan request you need to submit an MPN. The MPN is also on the FSA website. Since we are gonna be grad students it's the direct unsubsidized loan. After you get your MPN approved by the school, they offer you a financial package (which is usually the max they allow for unsubsidized loans) for a Med School that I got accepted to, their max was around 47k and I got somewhere around there. You need to accept/decline these rewards. To cover the rest of the fees you need to take out a Direct PLUS loan, which offers you a package based on your need which is determined by credit score(so obviously the better the credit score the better chance you have of getting a good loan). The Direct plus loan follows the same steps as the Direct Unsubsidized loan with it's own MPN (Direct PLUS Loan MPN)

You can also apply for grants and scholarships, naturally to help cover costs.

About the Ads
Jul 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone have any update about whether Zoom interviewees are definitely interviewing for a waitlist spot?

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
current students, do you pay rent for all 12 months of the year? what happens in summer if you leave campus?

mangoangel

2+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2018
Status
Medical Student
current students, do you pay rent for all 12 months of the year? what happens in summer if you leave campus?
Yeah you pay rent for all 12 months. The only summer you don't have classes is your first summer so even if you leave that summer that's only like 2 months of rent you're paying without being there.

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
Yeah you pay rent for all 12 months. The only summer you don't have classes is your first summer so even if you leave that summer that's only like 2 months of rent you're paying without being there.
thanks! what is your thought on cars? do students need them?

Mar 23, 2020
thanks! what is your thought on cars? do students need them?
I spoke to some of the students that currently go there about that. Only like 20% of the 1st years there have cars and they get by fine due to public transportation and stuff. But obviously having a car would makes stuff a lot easier.

• Love
Reactions: premed1875
Jul 3, 2019
Status
Random question - sorry if this has already been asked - does anyone know what’s going on with the immunizations/physical deadline? Spoke to my doc today - not performing any physicals until July.

About the Ads
Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Random question - sorry if this has already been asked - does anyone know what’s going on with the immunizations/physical deadline? Spoke to my doc today - not performing any physicals until July.
+1 would like to know also

AmaranthMoor

2+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
LMAOOOOOO YALL einstein sent me an email ROASTING me for not replying to their scholarship offer?? even though I literally already sent in my withdrawal?? Verbatim quote, "We hope that you will show more professionalism in the future"....,,,,,,HEWWO???? :eek:
had me going
1585598178650.png
I tried to reply nicely, because apparently patience is in short supply these days, but I'm so baffled, like.....einstein, what is going ON with yall lately? I'm imaging it like
1585597845518.png

Mar 23, 2020
LMAOOOOOO YALL einstein sent me an email ROASTING me for not replying to their scholarship offer?? even though I literally already sent in my withdrawal?? Verbatim quote, "We hope that you will show more professionalism in the future"....,,,,,,HEWWO???? :eek:
had me going
View attachment 300344
I tried to reply nicely, because apparently patience is in short supply these days, but I'm so baffled, like.....einstein, what is going ON with yall lately? I'm imaging it like
View attachment 300341
Yikesss

• Haha
Reactions: AmaranthMoor
About the Ads
Feb 10, 2020
Status
Medical Student
+1. I also wonder what's going to happen for move-in. I think I remember seeing somewhere that move-in dates are pretty flexible starting sometime in July, but given the current state of NYC, I wouldn't be surprised if on-campus move-in is affected. Not to mention those who are looking for off-campus housing, or anyone whose lease may be expiring in June.

Jul 3, 2019
Status
+1. I also wonder what's going to happen for move-in. I think I remember seeing somewhere that move-in dates are pretty flexible starting sometime in July, but given the current state of NYC, I wouldn't be surprised if on-campus move-in is affected. Not to mention those who are looking for off-campus housing, or anyone whose lease may be expiring in June.
called about the immunizations/titers/physical deadline...essentially everything is in flux. Student health office told me to be prepared to send any of the records I might have, even if it doesn't encompass all of the requirements. My assumption is most of us will have what we need aside from the requirements that have "within the past year" aspects. But, as with everything, it's all in flux right now. Essentially - just hold tight and try to set up a doc appt until further info is dispersed.

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
current students, any insight into food budgets in NYC? I was thinking of budgeting $50-100 per month on food, but wasn't total sure :) stay safe

Mar 23, 2020
current students, any insight into food budgets in NYC? I was thinking of budgeting $50-100 per month on food, but wasn't total sure :) stay safe
I am not a current student but I currently live in NYC. 50-100 a month for groceries seems pretty alright. Assuming you don't inhale your food lol. But yeah you'll be fine on 50-100. Closer to 100 just to be safe.

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
I am not a current student but I currently live in NYC. 50-100 a month for groceries seems pretty alright. Assuming you don't inhale your food lol. But yeah you'll be fine on 50-100. Closer to 100 just to be safe.
oh wow I just realized my original post was incorrect - I meant about $75/week, so about $300 a month

Last edited:

bigM6029

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Been living in NYC my entire life. If you cook at home and eat out 1-2 times a week, I think $200-300 a month is a good range. Especially if you eat a lot like me..

premed1875

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
Been living in NYC my entire life. If you cook at home and eat out 1-2 times a week, I think $200-300 a month is a good range. Especially if you eat a lot like me..
Ok sweet, I eat super simple meals (like chicken, rice, pasta). what do you eat like?

Reactions: bigM6029
Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For accepted students who received a finaid package, how long do we have until we have to accept the package?

Reactions: CW12603
About the Ads