2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I was wondering if you knew any information about this Masters Program or any past students. I have also applied and was wondering how many students would be in the incoming class and how does there acceptance to medical school work. I know if we do well, there is a guaranteed interview but do you know our chances of getting into ARCOM? Thanks
no idea, the portal showed me this in error, I ended up being accepted to their DO program shortly after receiving that message but am withdrawing soon. sorry I can't help answer your questions. from my interview date, there was a significant amount (25-30%) of the cohort who were applying from ARCOM's master's program so at the very least I can confirm that there seems to be interview-linkage.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
no idea, the portal showed me this in error, I ended up being accepted shortly after receiving that message but am withdrawing soon. sorry I can't help answer your questions. from my interview date, there was a significant amount (25-30%) of the cohort who were applying from ARCOM's master's program so at the very least I can confirm that there seems to be interview-linkage.
Can I PM you for reasons why you withdrew. I got accepted also.

Can I PM you for reasons why you withdrew. I got accepted also.
sure thing, but just in case any one else is curious, it's because I got into my 1st choice in my home state thousands of miles away at an established program. ARCOM seems great but it's too new to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here do the Masters in Biomed for a year before entering? Or accepted contingent upon completing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I applied to their masters program also and wanted info regarding this program too!

No, I am accepted to their Masters Program.
I know a few students got accepted from the Masters program this year. That's the whole reason they created the Masters program to give students that wouldn't have been accepted straight to the medical school otherwise a chance to show that they can perform well with the curriculum.

I emailed them asking if the waitlist started moving yet, they said no movement so far. May is their month with the most movement so we all gotta just wait it out. Feels like forever especially with the quarantine.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them asking if the waitlist started moving yet, they said no movement so far. May is their month with the most movement so we all gotta just wait it out. Feels like forever especially with the quarantine.
yeah I think this has been established a few times thanks

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering applying to VCOM's Master's in Biomedical Science as a backup plan. Could applying to a SMP possibly jeopardize my chances of getting accepted off of ARCOM's waitlist? Will ARCOM be able to see if I have applied or been accepted to a SMP since most postbac programs utilize the Liaison-powered Centralized Application Service?
no, absolutely not. applications to other programs including SMPs and medical schools are confidential. in 2001 this information leaked in error and it created a huge controversy for obvious reasons.

So, they won't be able to see any pending acceptances even after May 15th when AACOMAS traffic guidelines allow schools to see which students have pending acceptances/deposits?
no because you don't have a DO acceptance and SMP acceptances aren't included on the report. regardless, no one would punish you for taking initiative and preparing for the next application cycle, including applying to master programs / weighing options.

if ARCOM looks down on waitlisted applicants for weighing options, then bullet dodged

even if this situation applied to you, the appropriate response would be the medical school reaching out asking you to essentially commit and you have a grace period during which you are expected to reply.

I am considering applying to VCOM's Master's in Biomedical Science as a backup plan. Could applying to a SMP possibly jeopardize my chances of getting accepted off of ARCOM's waitlist? Will ARCOM be able to see if I have applied or been accepted to a SMP since most postbac programs utilize the Liaison-powered Centralized Application Service?

Have you considered applying to ARCOM's MSB program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to VCOM’s MABS program because it guarantees acceptance to VCOM’s DO program if you meet specific benchmarks.

I would also suggest applying to ARCOM's MSB program. I am currently in it and love it. Although it does not guarantee admission to ARCOM, half of the class has been admitted to the med school and the other half has been placed on the waitlist.

A friend of mine got called off of the waitlist today! Looks like the waitlist is finally moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
A friend of mine got called off of the waitlist today! Looks like the waitlist movement is finally moving.

Congrats to your friend! Can you tell us when they interviewed and were waitlisted? Thanks!

Congrats to your friend! Can you tell us when they interviewed and were waitlisted? Thanks!

They interviewed sometime in January and was waitlisted 2 weeks after the interview. I do not know the specific date of the interview.

It's great to see some waitlist movement! Anyone know how the waitlist is ranked, aside from service area preference? Do those who interview and are waitlisted later in the cycle placed lower on the list chronologically or is it all a magical process? Hmmn,...

Just got interview invite for MSB!!! Any advice? Other than be yourself what did they ask you?

Just got interview invite for MSB!!! Any advice? Other than be yourself what did they ask you?

My interview was pretty chill. They just got to know me and why I wanted to do the MSB program. They had technical difficulties on their part so we had to do the interview via phone call but they were both pretty nice and friendly. I honestly don't remember what they asked? I interviewed back in February and accepted shortly after. Just be friendly and yourself is the only advice I can give haha

I didn't mention HPSP during the interview even (due to a lack of time) though I plan on doing it as well. Should we tell admissions? Or not?

I didn't mention HPSP during the interview even (due to a lack of time) though I plan on doing it as well. Should we tell admissions? Or not?

.... yes, tell admissions. There’s, a scholarship reporting form. You should report it.

.... yes, tell admissions. There’s, a scholarship reporting form. You should report it.

I see, I am still on the waitlist, I think I'll wait for an acceptance first, because what good does them knowing about it affect anything.

:cryi: hoping my acceptance goes to one of you guys, good luck

Reactions: 3 users
How heavily does ARCOM favor applicants from it’s service area? Are applicants from the North East at a significant disadvantage?

Pacific NW resident, applied to ARCOM in September, interviewed in November.

Just make sure you appeal to their mission.

Pacific NW resident, applied to ARCOM in September, interviewed in November.

Just make sure you appeal to their mission.

I'm also a PNW resident. Applied in July, Interviewed in September, accepted several weeks later. I agree to above sentiments.

How heavily does ARCOM favor applicants from it’s service area? Are applicants from the North East at a significant disadvantage?

I was told they have two, loosely grouped, non-numerically ranked lists. One for in service area and one for out of service area, but that doesn't mean an out of service position can't receive a spot over someone who is in service. Basically, don't worry about it. Praying to the waitlist gods may help, however. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you letters to interviewers for MSB program? Yea or nay?

I know of 5 MSB people getting off of the waitlist this week.

Hoping this coming week will bring us some good news.

I talked to some of the accepted students last night and one was off of the waitlist and this person was not a MSB person. So they have started pulling off of the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users
Would any current ARCOM students be willing to meet via video conference for a brief Q&A session (45mins - 1hour)? Anyone on the waitlist/accepted status interested?

I talked to some of the accepted students last night and one was off of the waitlist and this person was not a MSB person. So they have started pulling off of the waitlist.
Was this person accepted off the waitlist recently?

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone !!

Would any current ARCOM students be willing to meet via video conference for a brief Q&A session (45mins - 1hour)? Anyone on the waitlist/accepted status interested?
Really really really bad timing. Second years are prepping for boards and first years are in the middle of finals.

Like previous posts have detailed: you have no control over what happens while you're waitlisted. Nobody knows where you stand on it or if you'll even get in. Best thing to do right now is go have some beers and chill. Stop thinking about school.

Really really really bad timing. Second years are prepping for boards and first years are in the middle of finals.

Like previous posts have detailed: you have no control over what happens while you're waitlisted. Nobody

Hmmn... don’t know why you focused so much in assuming the conference was geared towards the woes of the waitlist or commented on the waitlist, in general. Was going to be a time for interested students to pick the brains of ARCOM students, especially those who didn’t have a chance to interview in person. Another school’s students were very willing and was done recently. Good luck with your exams, if you are in that boat.

Last edited:
Hmmn... don’t know why you focused so much in assuming the conference was geared towards the woes of the waitlist or commented on the waitlist, in general. Was going to be a time time for interested students to pick the brains of ARCOM students, especially those who didn’t have a chance to interview in person. Another school’s students were very willing and was done recently. Good luck with your exams, if you are in that boat.
were you waitlisted?

I assumed you were waitlisted. Just some vibes I got. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems like a relatively hostile response to someone who is just interested in learning more about ARCOM.
im sorry if it was perceived as being hostile. i am trying to understand the student's question and what they are trying to achieve.

Agreed. Talk about being neurotic. Lol.
i really cant tell if you're legitimately interested in learning more about the school or are just trying to pimp for information about the waitlist.

if you have any questions about the school, ask away and im sure the students will be more than willing to help out, myself included.

@pvt.kabob @PinetreeDoc95

SD said it was really bad timing (x3). Hella understatement! If things were normal it would be x3 really bad time. Medical education is a complete **** show right now. Second years are getting constantly cancelled the day before their STEP exam (imagine not knowing if you would take the MCAT Monday.) First years have less data points for grades with our practicals being cancelled so we only have 2 test that covers everything we did in the last 6-8 weeks. We’ve been grinding in isolation the entire time....

If someone has a question that needs to be answered like SD said, ask away! But the matter of fact is homeboys are coming in wanting to chat about a school they’re waitlisted at. Don’t shame my classmate for vetting the individuals that are asking to take up valuable time...

I hope both of you snag an acceptance somewhere; honestly I do hope it’s here. I selected ARCOM over 6 other acceptances and can help illuminate some insight on some direct comparisons if people need. But anything more involved than SDN seems quite unrealistic at this time.

Additionally, I know you were asking for something reasonable and I know my classmates as well as myself would like to alleviate some of that anxiety, but anything short of “I have a 2k deposit due and I need to make a decision in a hour” will have to wait until next week.

Reactions: 5 users