2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a secondary invite today. How many spots are there? I have a feeling I'll get waitlisted since it's so late in the application cycle.
they told us at the interview that the class has been filled and they are interviewing only for the waitlist now.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
they told us at the interview that the class has been filled and they are interviewing only for the waitlist now.
When was the class filled?
not sure but before the end of january im guessing
The class might be filled now, but they do open up as applicants gets accepted to other DO or MD schools. Especially with the new AAMC traffic rules on the MD side where schools can no longer see where applicants are accepted to throughout the cycle but still have to fill their seats by March 15. This lead to MD schools waitlisting more students and accepting fewer initially to prepare for empty seats as accepted students holding multiple seats at different schools (usually about 20% of interviewed applicants) communicate if they wanna commit to enroll or not by the April 30 deadline. This was a big thing last cycle when those traffic rules went into effect, and it lead to more waitlist movement overall towards the end of the cycle in the DO world.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the waitlist is ranked? Does the time of primary submission matter? I submitted my primary in October but did not get a secondary till yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
Are majority of students planning on doing on campus housing? Debating on on-campus versus looking into seeing if any females are interested in getting a home to rent. I know on-campus housing has pet restrictions. I want to bring my yellow lab and worried about an apartment setting with her

Are majority of students planning on doing on campus housing? Debating on on-campus versus looking into seeing if any females are interested in getting a home to rent. I know on-campus housing has pet restrictions. I want to bring my yellow lab and worried about an apartment setting with her

From my understanding the pet restriction is pretty easy to bypass. I think you have to get a letter from your doctor saying the pet is an emotional support animal.

Hey all, I'm Excited to be joining the ARCOM class of 2024 this Fall!

Does anybody have any tips on ordering lab tests for matriculation? (for example, the quantitative Hep B surface antibody and the varicella serology)

Does anybody have any tips on ordering lab tests for matriculation? (for example, the quantitative Hep B surface antibody and the varicella serology)

I got mine done recently! You have to visit the CastleBranch website - the details were enclosed in your matriculation email to your ARCOM email address. On there, it specifies exactly what you need. I went to an independent laboratory chain (I checked with CastleBranch to make sure it was approved, first). I needed an order for my quantitative hepatitis B titer. You only need the varicella titer if you didn't receive 2 doses of the vaccine. My hepatitis B titer was covered by my insurance.

These websites will save your life if your insurance doesn't cover blood tirers: www.schooltiters.com and www.requestatest.com
It's all very simple and easy to order. I found out the hard way that going to my primary care physicians to get those done was a huge mistake whenever I got a $2500 bill for just a few titers that my insurance didn't cover.

Last edited:
These websites will save your life if your insurance doesn't cover blood tirers: www.schooltiters.com and www.requestatest.com
It's all very simple and easy to order. I found out the hard way that going to my primary care physicians to get those done was a huge mistake whenever I got a $2500 bill for just a few titers that my insurance didn't cover.

Thank you sir! This was exactly what I was looking for. As someone who used to work in a primary/urgent clinic that did lab draws, I can confirm you just saved me a couple hundred dollars.

Hey Guys,

Random question that I think some current students may be able to help with. If someone wants to enter competitive fields for residency (like surgery or something), do you think going to ARCOM would make it harder to accomplish since it’s a new school?

Hey Guys,

Random question that I think some current students may be able to help with. If someone wants to enter competitive fields for residency (like surgery or something), do you think going to ARCOM would make it harder to accomplish since it’s a new school?

I don’t think so. It all depends on your board scores mainly but I’m not sure how that will change with step 1 becoming pass fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

It will be much harder as a DO in general and it will be even harder coming from ARCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys,

First of all, I think it will depend on you and not ARCOM. If you have great contacts, lots of research, lots of publications, and do well on away/audition rotations where you wanna go, then maybe yea, you might end up in DO-friendly competitive residency program.
But really, no one should come into any DO school with the hope of matching a competitive residency program. Most DO schools if not all WILL have more than 50% of their class going primary care, and I would expect those numbers to go up especially with the increasing number graduates and USMLE going pass/fail.
The reality is we can't tell you if you will be able to match a competitive residency or not, so if that's really your end goal, then I would go to a different school with known history of matching their students into competitive programs and that's mostly MD schools.

First of all, I think it will depend on you and not ARCOM. If you have great contacts, lots of research, lots of publications, and do well on away/audition rotations where you wanna go, then maybe yea, you might end up in DO-friendly competitive residency program.
But really, no one should come into any DO school with the hope of matching a competitive residency program. Most DO schools if not all WILL have more than 50% of their class going primary care, and I would expect those numbers to go up especially with the increasing number graduates and USMLE going pass/fail.
The reality is we can't tell you if you will be able to match a competitive residency or not, so if that's really your end goal, then I would go to a different school with known history of matching their students into competitive programs and that's mostly MD schools.

Thank you so much for the informative response! So when it comes to comparing schools that have such history, if one option is ARCOM, and another option is the Tampa Campus for NSU KPCOM, how would you compare the two with the residency factor in mind? Knowing NSU had 12 Anesthesiology placements, 4 Derm., 3 general surgeries, and 4 orthopedic surgery placements last year.

Thank you so much for the informative response! So when it comes to comparing schools that have such history, if one option is ARCOM, and another option is the Tampa Campus for NSU KPCOM, how would you compare the two with the residency factor in mind? Knowing NSU had 12 Anesthesiology placements, 4 Derm., 3 general surgeries, and 4 orthopedic surgery placements last year.
If by Tampa campus, you mean Clearwater, then I have no idea. Is the Clearwater campus considered a branch campus? Or a campus on its own with its own dean and faculty? If the latter, then your prospects doesn't look that much different than coming from ARCOM because I would consider it like a brand new school as well. You can see this trend by comparing the outcomes of PCOM-PA vs PCOM-GA students. They're vastly different. If its a branch campus with the same faculty and everything, then I still don't know. Yea, you might have connections due to other students matching in previous years, but on the other hand NSU has had several years of mid to low 80s COMLEX pass rate (not that different from ARCOM's pass rate of 85%) which for a veteran school has earned it some bad rap. It wouldn't be good if NSU still have internal issues and opening a branch campus and stretching out their resources without fixing them. That surely wouldn't end well. However, wherever you choose to go, you just have to make the best out of your opportunities. You would NOT be guaranteed a competitive residency program even if you went into an MD school, and I'm also confident that some of the students in the inaugural class here at ARCOM will match into some competitive residency programs as well. It's all gonna come down to their board scores, their resume, and who they know, and I can tell you some of my upperclassmen do have some impressive stats and resume. Good luck! And Congrats! Wherever you go, you'll have a shot at being a doctor.

Last edited:
These types of questions always rub me the wrong way honestly. Bro, nobody can tell you how good your chances are honestly. I've seen DO's match into really competitive residencies, both ACGME and AOA (and its now ACGME everything, given how they control the whole residency match process now). No one school is going to give you an extra leg up. MD students may have a slight advantage, but you have literally no idea what's going to happen 4 years from now. I can't tell you how many people I've met who were dead set on orthopedics or urology one day and then decided to go into Internal Medicine or some other field afterwards. Just study as much as you can and make it happen yourself. Even at MD schools, nobody is going to hold your hand into a dermatology residency. There's a reason why these things are competitive. It's tough for everybody.

I think I remember someone on here telling this story about one dude who got into and matriculated into a DO school. While he was enrolled into a DO school, he applied and got into an MD school, so he dropped out of the DO school to go for the MD school in hopes of landing a competitive residency. Well, he did horrible on the boards, so the only residency that he was able to get was family med, where he happened to meet some of his former DO classmates at. This has nothing to do with your question, but it just goes to show that med school is tough and no matter where you go, whether an MD, DO or top DO, you're gonna have to put in work. Top MD like Harvard or Stanford, you'll probably be good in getting whatever residency you want, but if you can get in there, what are you even doing on this forum?

Reactions: 4 users
I think I remember someone on here telling this story about one dude who got into and matriculated into a DO school. While he was enrolled into a DO school, he applied and got into an MD school, so he dropped out of the DO school to go for the MD school in hopes of landing a competitive residency.

You can transfer from a DO to MD school?

Is anyone going to the Welcome Home event? Do people find it worthwhile? Just trying to figure out if it's worth the expensive plane and hotel tickets

Is anyone going to the Welcome Home event? Do people find it worthwhile? Just trying to figure out if it's worth the expensive plane and hotel tickets
I will be going. I fly stand-by so I can't comment on whether it's worthwhile. Depending on where you are in the US it may be cheaper to fly into XNA and rent a car. I will be using some time there to scout out different rentals in the area so I don't sign site unseen. For that purpose, it worth it to me.

If I wanted to send in updates, should I contact Ms. Kelly DeWitt directly? Or admissions?

If I wanted to send in updates, should I contact Ms. Kelly DeWitt directly? Or admissions?
Depends on the update, but if it's something really positive and in attempts to get accepted, then I'd say both to improve your chances of being "recognized"

Same, I will also be going but it's not a far drive for me and it gives me the opportunity to talk to the staff some more, ask questions and as the other student said, view rentals.

Was accepted with a 500 and 3.89 sGPA. Gave up spot.

I interviewed Feb 28th and got waitlisted today. I was sooo impressed by the campus and honestly I love it. I’m from a small town so I felt at home and I love the ARCOM vibe. I feel like ARCOM is for me! I’d honestly choose ARCOM over KCU if I had the choice. It’s a bummer that I have to wait till June for waitlist movement.

Reactions: 2 users
I just called and they said waitlist moves in April/May. I'm so excited!!!

Reactions: 5 users
The official numbers are here. 86.3%, not great but also not bad for a new school that averaged 3.5 and 499 for the inaugural class, and also it might be higher than all other new schools I know (maybe behind RVU-SU).

Reactions: 4 users
The official numbers are here. 86.3%, not great but also not bad for a new school that averaged 3.5 and 499 for the inaugural class, and also it might be higher than all other new schools I know (maybe behind RVU-SU).
That's actually pretty good for a DO inaugural class (better than most actually)

This actually makes me feel a lot better. My friends think I'm crazy for wanting to go here lol

This actually makes me feel a lot better. My friends think I'm crazy for wanting to go here lol
I really like all the faculty and the environment the school provides. It's really a great place and the only thing against it right now is how new it is. Fort Smith can be lacking at times but there's Fayetteville an hour away.

You're not crazy at all. :)

I really like all the faculty and the environment the school provides. It's really a great place and the only thing against it right now is how new it is. Fort Smith can be lacking at times but there's Fayetteville an hour away.

You're not crazy at all. :)
Well it's because the other school I interviewed at was KCU. I'm supposed to hear back this week. But I like a ARCOM a lot, and my friends think I should go with KCU. It's a really hard choice to make so I'm still torn.

Well it's because the other school I interviewed at was KCU. I'm supposed to hear back this week. But I like a ARCOM a lot, and my friends think I should go with KCU. It's a really hard choice to make so I'm still torn.
Well, don't worry about it until you have an acceptance from one! it's not 'easy' getting acceptances, so you might only get accepted from one and that'll make the decision for you lol. You'll be in a great spot if you have several options! Congrats on getting the interviews I hope you get an acceptance at one of them!

Reactions: 3 users
Consider yourself rejected until you have that first acceptance. Also go with your gut. In the grand scheme of things, it really does not matter where you go to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted to in-state MD. Giving up my seat ): ARCOM is an amazing place to be. Whoever gets in is very lucky. Best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users
When does waitlist movement stop for ARCOM? Does anyone know? I finish my masters program in June and I’ll be able to update my transcript then.

When does waitlist movement stop for ARCOM? Does anyone know? I finish my masters program in June and I’ll be able to update my transcript then.
There’s no specific date. It can go as late as first day of orientation If need be.

It will pick up when people with multiple acceptances need to choose a single school, which happens mid May.

It will pick up when people with multiple acceptances need to choose a single school, which happens mid May.

Yeah, I've heard it can start as early as April. I wonder how COVID-19 has changed the admissions process... especially for waitlist movement.

Yeah, I've heard it can start as early as April. I wonder how COVID-19 has changed the admissions process... especially for waitlist movement.
Starting April 1st, AACOMAS compiles a list of names of applicants with multiple acceptances. People worry about that for some reason and tend to withdraw from programs other than their first choice around that time. On May 15th, that list is released to schools - schools will then give a 2-week notice and request that you to commit or withdraw which is why you see more waitlist movement at this time. In terms of changes to the admissions process, I think it's impossible to quantify, but COVID-19 wouldn't have affected those who received acceptances earlier in the cycle. I have no doubt schools, if necessary, will be able to back-fill their class with waitlisted/alternates candidates who applied earlier and I can see how it might result in less waitlist movement if the waitlist isn't ranked.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will likely be no waitlist movement till May. Sit tight. And they really mean that. I didn't get off the WL until May and I interviewed in Feb. It was a day or two after people started giving up seats. Also it depends how they rank you in their tiers of waitlists from what I've heard through the grapevine.

Waiting sucked really bad. Feel free to PM if you feel down about things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any insight into how their waitlists are organized?
All I have heard is in-state and out of state. To be expected at any school. Other than that, I know nothing of the mystical powers and ways of the selection committee.

Withdrew my spot, hope it goes to one of you guys

Reactions: 5 users
Above posters who were recently accepted - congrats!

My portal says "Congratulations on being selected to participate in an interview with the Arkansas Colleges of Health Education (ACHE) Master of Science in Biomedicine program!"
LMAO I will assume this = rejection :rolleyes:
Hi! I was wondering if you knew any information about this Masters Program or any past students. I have also applied and was wondering how many students would be in the incoming class and how does there acceptance to medical school work. I know if we do well, there is a guaranteed interview but do you know our chances of getting into ARCOM? Thanks