2019-2020 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they say when they would be calling the others???
Was called today with the acceptance! Interviewed 1/24. They said the committee voted on 50 different people last night.
y

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! OOS, very excited. Would anyone who has been interviewed PM me and give me some information about the interview day?

Reactions: 4 users
II today! OOS, very excited. Would anyone who has been interviewed PM me and give me some information about the interview day?

Congratulations!! Probably one of the most CHILL interviews I've been on. Loved the set up and the area.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning for 3/13!!! OOS woooooo!!

Reactions: 7 users
Do we know how often the committee meets every month?

Current M1 here!
I would be happy to answer any questions people have regarding the preclinical years.

Reactions: 4 users
Current M1 here!
I would be happy to answer any questions people have regarding the preclinical years.
What classes or material do you recommend someone review before starting M1? I have never taken anatomy so I was thinking of taking a class over the summer. I don't know if I should go to a community college, 4 year University or review on my own. What do you think?

What classes or material do you recommend someone review before starting M1? I have never taken anatomy so I was thinking of taking a class over the summer. I don't know if I should go to a community college, 4 year University or review on my own. What do you think?

A lot of medical students will tell you to take time before M1 to relish in your pre-medical school life. To some extent I think that is good advice, I know I am so grateful I spent time with family, friends, and myself the summer before.

However, I do think it could be helpful to begin reviewing some of the content you learned in undergrad and will see again in Foundations A. If you can walk into Foundations A with a fresh exposure to the content, it might make the whiplash of how fast you will move through that content in your first block. Quite a few students in my class really regretted not at least exposing themselves to the nitty-gritty basic sciences you see in Foundations. Genetics (pedigrees mostly), Biochemistry (we covered all of the metabolic pathways in roughly 4 days of lectures), Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Immunology.

I do want to be clear though, you will receive lectures and group work on these topics so please don't interpret me as saying you need to know all these topics cold. I only mention these topics in particular because these are the topics you cover in your first block and the pace at which you move through the material can be daunting if you have learn everything from the basics. If you can arrive with a basic understanding of those topics, it will be a lot less taxing for you to just add more advanced knowledge to your basic understanding, instead of having to go from no understanding to an advanced understanding as fast as possible.

If you have never taken anatomy before (like me), you could peruse some MSK anatomy because that is what you cover in Foundations A. Outside of that, I truly do not think there is anything else you should prepare for. It is going to seem overwhelming at first and there really is no way I think you can prepare that away. However, as you begin to develop good study habits and discover how you best learn, it becomes increasingly manageable.

Side note: I honestly think the most influential thing you can do to prepare yourself for M1 is to really spend time researching learning theory. I highly recommend a book called Make It Stick. In medical school, you are essentially a professional learning athlete. Your job every day is to use your brain to learn, understand, and apply knowledge. As pretty much every medical student will tell you after a few months, the learning system most people use in undergraduate is woefully inadequate. Finding the learning system that works best for you is the most understated skill for medical students.

It is also important to recognise that your best learning system is not going to be your classmate's best learning system. As long as your learning system is utilising evidence-based learning strategies, it will work wonders.

Hope that helps! Happy to elaborate or answer any other questions.

Reactions: 9 users
A lot of medical students will tell you to take time before M1 to relish in your pre-medical school life. To some extent I think that is good advice, I know I am so grateful I spent time with family, friends, and myself the summer before.

However, I do think it could be helpful to begin reviewing some of the content you learned in undergrad and will see again in Foundations A. If you can walk into Foundations A with a fresh exposure to the content, it might make the whiplash of how fast you will move through that content in your first block. Quite a few students in my class really regretted not at least exposing themselves to the nitty-gritty basic sciences you see in Foundations. Genetics (pedigrees mostly), Biochemistry (we covered all of the metabolic pathways in roughly 4 days of lectures), Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Immunology.

I do want to be clear though, you will receive lectures and group work on these topics so please don't interpret me as saying you need to know all these topics cold. I only mention these topics in particular because these are the topics you cover in your first block and the pace at which you move through the material can be daunting if you have learn everything from the basics. If you can arrive with a basic understanding of those topics, it will be a lot less taxing for you to just add more advanced knowledge to your basic understanding, instead of having to go from no understanding to an advanced understanding as fast as possible.

If you have never taken anatomy before (like me), you could peruse some MSK anatomy because that is what you cover in Foundations A. Outside of that, I truly do not think there is anything else you should prepare for. It is going to seem overwhelming at first and there really is no way I think you can prepare that away. However, as you begin to develop good study habits and discover how you best learn, it becomes increasingly manageable.

Side note: I honestly think the most influential thing you can do to prepare yourself for M1 is to really spend time researching learning theory. I highly recommend a book called Make It Stick. In medical school, you are essentially a professional learning athlete. Your job every day is to use your brain to learn, understand, and apply knowledge. As pretty much every medical student will tell you after a few months, the learning system most people use in undergraduate is woefully inadequate. Finding the learning system that works best for you is the most understated skill for medical students.

It is also important to recognise that your best learning system is not going to be your classmate's best learning system. As long as your learning system is utilising evidence-based learning strategies, it will work wonders.

Related: Not a current med student, but I did go to grad school and take a cadaver lab class that we were told was given at the same level the students in the university's COM. I took anatomy in high school and undergrad and I still struggled in how quickly we moved (my classmates with no anatomy background seemed to struggle even more). My best study technique was to go into lab already knowing the lesson back-to-front and already watched the dissections on youtube. Every body is different and knowing the structures and being able to identify them on different cadavers are not the same. With this technique I was able to spend all my time in lab dissecting what I already knew and then perfecting my identification on my cadaver and the others in my section. I also teamed up with a like-minded classmate and we took turns teaching and testing each other until we could walk through the anatomy with no mistakes. There is also a free app on the apple app store called "3D Human Anatomy & Disease" that I was obsessed with. It's incredible.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!! What were your application completion dates?
Sorry for the late response. I submitted my primary mid to late June and submitted my secondary mid-July. Between then and now I had sent them updated transcripts from my fall semester at the end of December. I then got the II on 2/27! I was basically just waiting and waiting without much of any response from them, but I am happy they gave me this opportunity to interview! There are a lot of cool things I have read about CMU that I am looking forward to learning more about! I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since Tuesdays seem to be when they release admissions decisions, I am wishing everybody the best of luck tomorrow! Fingers crossed that some of us get out of this limbo!

Reactions: 7 users

Thank you for the great advice!! Much appreciated! :)

Hello everyone,
Has anyone been sent an interview invite this month (March)? Or is it reasonable to assume that rejections are to follow at this stage? Thanks in advance for sharing.

Hello everyone,
Has anyone been sent an interview invite this month (March)? Or is it reasonable to assume that rejections are to follow at this stage? Thanks in advance for sharing.
I *think* 3/13 will be the last interview date, as far as I know.

I know that in the emails they're sending to upcoming interviewees, they sound really intent on filling in empty interview seats at the last minute in case there are cancellations. So I would see if you can put in a final "letter of interest/hey I'm still here" type of email to see if things might swing your way in case someone cancels?

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

Soooooo... admissions just called me to say that the 3/13 interview has been cancelled. Because of coronavirus. What on earth ugh this is getting so out of hand

• Wow
Soooooo... admissions just called me to say that the 3/13 interview has been cancelled. Because of coronavirus. What on earth ugh this is getting so out of hand
Are they pushing it? Doing skype interviews?

I just got the call too... I’m hoping they can reschedule soon. I was so ready for it this week!

• Sad
Are they pushing it? Doing skype interviews?
It seemed like they hope to push it to later, but they seemed unsure about when (as am I, because this coronavirus thing escalated kind of quickly and I cant forecast when it'll die down). I doubt they'll plan to do a Skype interview because it might be tricky with the MMI format and the other group activities. But I'm secretly hoping they switch the interview to 1-on-1 and just do it over Skype instead because I'm impatient lol

It seemed like they hope to push it to later, but they seemed unsure about when (as am I, because this coronavirus thing escalated kind of quickly and I cant forecast when it'll die down). I doubt they'll plan to do a Skype interview because it might be tricky with the MMI format and the other group activities. But I'm secretly hoping they switch the interview to 1-on-1 and just do it over Skype instead because I'm impatient lol
this is also frustrating to us post-interview hold status people. Until the last interview date, they probably won't be reevaluating our apps.

• Sad
this is also frustrating to us post-interview hold status people. Until the last interview date, they probably won't be reevaluating our apps.
Should we be sending another update letter? Ah

Should we be sending another update letter? Ah
I would go with no if they're putting everything on hold. They're probably waiting for their bureaucrats to make a decision on policy. I work for a medical school and I am not exaggerating when I say that everything is chaos and no one knows anything. Even my medical students are freaking out that their step exams are going to be postponed or cancelled.

• Sad
To current students: any signs of CMU cancelling classes/in-person meetings? I would imagine that would impede the committee's ability to discuss candidates.

I would go with no if they're putting everything on hold. They're probably waiting for their bureaucrats to make a decision on policy. I work for a medical school and I am not exaggerating when I say that everything is chaos and no one knows anything. Even my medical students are freaking out that their step exams are going to be postponed or cancelled.
Update: this medical school employee will be working from home for the next month

There was an email sent out early this morning saying that the 3/13 interview has been shifted to an online format (video conference call, basically). They're dropping the large group activity but keeping the MMI and small group activity. Theyre doing 12 students per session over three days next week. Not sure how this is going to work out since there is a lot of room for technical errors, but... that's the update, I guess. Probably good for post-ii WL/hold people that they're doing the last interview sooner than later. But I'm not terribly happy about the online format. It definitely takes away the human factor when you meet and speak with a person, which I think is an important part of reading/assessing an interviewee, imo

If you are waiting to hear back (pre-interview), I sent an emailed for an update and they updated my portal 10 mins later with a rejection. So feel free to send them an email, if you haven't heard back yet.

If you are waiting to hear back (pre-interview), I sent an emailed for an update and they updated my portal 10 mins later with a rejection. So feel free to send them an email, if you haven't heard back yet.
which email did you use?

Pre-II rejection @ 3:05 pm central time today!

Current M4, our rotations through April 5 have been cancelled, same for M3 year. Match events entirely cancelled, Commencement ceremonies have been ‘postponed’.

Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS have all been cancelled through middle of April.

We’re waiting to find out what’s going on with graduation requirements and rotation requirements for both 3rd and 4th years - we don’t know anything for sure at this point.

Hang in there...

• Sad
Do you think the Covid_19 incident is going to affect the April 30 deadline for choosing school or the Waitlist movement???

I think the Adcom will have hard time having in person meeting. What do you think?

Do you think the Covid_19 incident is going to affect the April 30 deadline for choosing school or the Waitlist movement???

I think the Adcom will have hard time having in person meeting. What do you think?

I think they will probably do virtual meetings for this but I also think AAMC may extend that deadline so it’s possible for some of us to not hear back from ADCOMs until weeks after.

R today, 9:15AM. Guess it’s time to get my masters!

I am so sorry :( Gettings your masters is great. I just finished mine and think it helped a LOT with applications.

Did they send you an email? Do you mind me asking what your stats were?

I am so sorry :( Gettings your masters is great. I just finished mine and think it helped a LOT with applications.

Did they send you an email? Do you mind me asking what your stats were?
I'll message you! They sent me an email, and it was a post-II R. I interviewed on 02/14.

Been silent ever since my Jan interview. No WL nothing. I submitted my LOInterest yesterday and hopefully I hear some good news by the end of the month. I hope they dont do silent rejections post ii.

This message is for any current students who are around: for clerkships, is the grading P/F or do they have honors/high honors etc?

This message is for any current students who are around: for clerkships, is the grading P/F or do they have honors/high honors etc?
Just found the answer to this in the handbook! In case anyone else was wondering, Clerkships are graded as Pass/No Pass/Honors.

Has anyone heard back off the hold status either good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk