2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how are you liking the 11 inch? I was considering getting the ipad pro also, but I wasnt sure which screen size to get, 12.9 or 11 inch haha.
12.9 is closest to the size of an A4 11x8.5 sheet of paper, and I personally find 12.9 is a perfect size, even a bit small at times.

Members don't see this ad.

how are you liking the 11 inch? I was considering getting the ipad pro also, but I wasnt sure which screen size to get, 12.9 or 11 inch haha.
I personally prefer the 11 inch for portability purposes and I can also hold it portrait style and type on it with my thumbs And It’s similar enough to a sheet of paper. My best friend has the 12.9 (she loves it) and I think it’s way too big and clunky. It doesn’t fit in her purse and she can’t hold it and type with her thumbs if she wants. If she’s holding it with one arm she has to bird peck the keyboard with her index finger and it looks like a pain. I def see why some ppl would prefer it but I just think it’s way too big to be convenient.
if I wanted 13 inches of screen I’d just use my laptop

Members don't see this ad :)
I know.. really didn’t answer any of my questions at all.
Better than the school I am waitlisted at, they basically told me to move on and start prepping for the next application cycle lol.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who got in here, was it a call or an email? I am on the waitlist still and want to know what to look out for. Thanks!!

I know.. really didn’t answer any of my questions at all.
So, I heard from someone in admissions awhile back that they accept around 20-30 students each year off of the Alternate List, with bulk happening in late April early May, but make offers throughout summer. I am right there with you. Best of luck to all still waiting. This is rough haha

Reactions: 1 user
So, I heard from someone in admissions awhile back that they accept around 20-30 students each year off of the Alternate List, with bulk happening in late April early May, but make offers throughout summer. I am right there with you. Best of luck to all still waiting. This is rough haha
I don't think they started accepting off the WL until May 1st, since the final seat deposit for those accepted was April 30th. So maybe the bulk will happen this month? From going through previous threads it looks like second quartile didn't see movement until at least July, if there was any at all. We also have to remember that some of those being accepted may not be sharing it in this specific thread, so there's probably more movement than we're actually seeing!

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone had an awful experience getting their drug screen? can any current students speak on this annual drug screen/background check? I think it is pretty ridiculous that they make us pay out of pocket for something the school wants and the vendor that does this are a bunch of incompetent people...

has anyone had an awful experience getting their drug screen? can any current students speak on this annual drug screen/background check? I think it is pretty ridiculous that they make us pay out of pocket for something the school wants and the vendor that does this are a bunch of incompetent people...
I think most schools, both MDs and DOs, will have you pay out-of-pocket for these tests. Regarding the incompetent people you met, that varies wildly from place to place.

Mine was an easy and pleasant experience. I was in and out in 10-15 mins. My only complaint was they had run out of hand sanitizer and wouldn’t let me go in with gloves, so I had to touch everything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anyone who got in here, was it a call or an email? I am on the waitlist still and want to know what to look out for. Thanks!!
Yo Kreyshaw in the email they sent me regarding waitlist movement they specifically stated you will receive an email if you get offered a spot off the WL. Others have said they “got the call” but I think we can 100% expect an email and not a phone call per the email I posted above.

Yo Kreyshaw in the email they sent me regarding waitlist movement they specifically stated you will receive an email if you get offered a spot off the WL. Others have said they “got the call” but I think we can 100% expect an email and not a phone call per the email I posted above.
A friend of mine got a phone call.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

dang i was hoping it'd be more :cryi:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the first quartile. I'll post again once I hear anything. I've heard from this thread and others that go to DMU that most movement happens in May and early June. It's so difficult to remain patient lol.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the first quartile. I'll post again once I hear anything. I've heard from this thread and others that go to DMU that most movement happens in May and early June. It's so difficult to remain patient lol.
+1 the waiting game has been so hard, hoping for the best tho

Reactions: 4 users
Same. I’m hoping I’ll hear something before I pay $150 for my background check at another school. it’s due soon

Hey y'all, I'm looking at the budget PDF under Transportation and Travel there is "Des Moines/Home (Annual)" and they recommend $1,025 for that. Anyone know what that is for? I'm getting an apartment and already have my rent + utilities on my own list.

Withdrawing today. It's been a crazy 2 years, hope this A goes to one of you guys.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! 1st quartile, got an email, no phone call.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey y'all, I'm looking at the budget PDF under Transportation and Travel there is "Des Moines/Home (Annual)" and they recommend $1,025 for that. Anyone know what that is for? I'm getting an apartment and already have my rent + utilities on my own list.
Probably for flying home to see your family

Accepted! 1st quartile, got an email, no phone call.
chance.jpg

Congratulations!!! So awesome.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted yesterday. Phone call/email. 1st Q HP. Good luck to everyone. See y’all in July

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted yesterday. Phone call/email. 1st Q HP. Good luck to everyone. See y’all in July
Eyyyyy Congratulations that's awesome!!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does High Priority Mean, how's it different from just 1st Q and how do you know you are? haha

Eyyyyy Congratulations that's awesome!!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does High Priority Mean, how's it different from just 1st Q and how do you know you are? haha

They are above first quartile. And it’s stated in your email when they sent it out in April.

How long after you paid your deposit did it show up as paid?

How long after you paid your deposit did it show up as paid?

I never really checked, but made sure I got a confirmation. For the final deposit, they sent an email the next day saying that it was received and my seat was secured.

Anyone got a confirmation via email that their vaccinations and physical exam forms were received?

Anyone got a confirmation via email that their vaccinations and physical exam forms were received?

Yes. It was sent to my DMU email instead of my personal email. My records show up on Pulse under the registration checklist.

Has anyone that completed the whole financial aid e-packet received an award letter? Do these usually come later? Mine has been done for over two weeks and I wasn't sure how long getting the actual letter would take

Has anyone that completed the whole financial aid e-packet received an award letter? Do these usually come later? Mine has been done for over two weeks and I wasn't sure how long getting the actual letter would take
I've still yet to do mine. I've been meaning to but just don't know how much I need to borrow yet.

I've still yet to do mine. I've been meaning to but just don't know how much I need to borrow yet.

Unless you have steady income to pay off some of the tuition and living, borrow the full Cost of Attendance. You can always give it back within a month or so of receiving it (not sure of the exact period) I believe at no cost to you. That’s what financial aid told us during my interview. I would call or email to see what they recommend based on your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have steady income to pay off some of the tuition and living, borrow the full Cost of Attendance. You can always give it back within a month or so of receiving it (not sure of the exact period) I believe at no cost to you. That’s what financial aid told us during my interview. I would call or email to see what they recommend based on your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'll email them today or tomorrow. TY.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'll email them today or tomorrow. TY.
Yeah I took out full CoA too, figured I should live a bit more comfortable financially during first year while I try to adjust to med school life and workload. Award letter wont be issued until early June based on my conversation with FA office.

Hey everyone, does anyone know where to send transcripts now that AACOMAS has moved on to the next cycle? DMU's website very clearly states that we should not send transcripts directly to them, but I feel like at this point there is no other choice. Thanks!

Hey everyone, does anyone know where to send transcripts now that AACOMAS has moved on to the next cycle? DMU's website very clearly states that we should not send transcripts directly to them, but I feel like at this point there is no other choice. Thanks!
You just send official transcripts to AACOMAS. You do not need to send transcripts directly to schools. New cycle means you have to send in another official transcript to AACOMAS even if nothing has changed. I hope this answers your question!

edit: If there is an update to your grades for the most recent semester, and you're still in consideration for the 2019-2020 cycle, you should email their offices with the updated grades. I would also just call their front office to confirm their preferred method of updating them with new grades. I would also only update them if your grades help your GPA.