2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who are still on the waitlist and are preparing to re-apply here when do you plan on submitting the application if we aren't offered an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are still on the waitlist and are preparing to re-apply here when do you plan on submitting the application if we aren't offered an acceptance?
You should probably just submit for DMU immediately. They do not count it against you if you reapply before hearing back from them. If you’re high up on the waitlist (first or second quartile), you have a great shot at getting in if you apply early for the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
You should probably just submit for DMU immediately. They do not count it against you if you reapply before hearing back from them. If you’re high up on the waitlist (first or second quartile), you have a great shot at getting in if you apply early for the next cycle.
if I was applying again I'd def submit asap for DMU

Members don't see this ad :)
[
Thanks that was one of my main concerns, hoping I get in soon but if not being early to reapply helps!

Hi all,
Is anyone familiar with the glanton minority scholarship? I read about that on the website and was curious to see if anyone actually recieved it

[

Thanks that was one of my main concerns, hoping I get in soon but if not being early to reapply helps!
Being waitlisted isn't fun, and once you got in you will have to rush all of those paperworks out too.

Hi all,
Is anyone familiar with the glanton minority scholarship? I read about that on the website and was curious to see if anyone actually recieved it

I think only 1-3 students are awarded it each year. However, there are other scholarships for minorities available.

Beats a reapp though lol
I guess I just am kinda jealous of applicants who got their A's early in the cycle like September and then just took it easy for the rest of the cycle knowing they already landed a spot no matter what :D

I guess I just am kinda jealous of applicants who got their A's early in the cycle like September and then just took it easy for the rest of the cycle knowing they already landed a spot no matter what :D
We literally had 2 kids in my class get in the day before orientation. Luckily they were living in the DSM area. Ya never know when it can happen

We literally had 2 kids in my class get in the day before orientation. Luckily they were living in the DSM area. Ya never know when it can happen

I think it was intentional that the those two who got accepted were living in DSM area.

I think it was intentional that the those two who got accepted were living in DSM area.
That was our theory too but it was never confirmed. I had a friend that got into a different DO school (states away) literally during his orientation in his home state though. He didnt go but still

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone joining the Zoom meeting today that was posted on FB?

I called the admissions office today and the rep told me to just send a PDF copy of my updated transcript to [email protected], she said there is no need to pay for an official transcript until you are offered a seat in the class!

Accepted this past Tuesday off the waitlist,
HP, 1stQ
Congrats!!!! I genuinely mean that the below is not directed at you haha

This is starting to feel like being the "1st" boarding group on the plane and then having to wait for "High Priority", "Seniors", "Veterans", "anyone with a baby", "Sky club members" :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!!!! I genuinely mean that the below is not directed at you haha

This is starting to feel like being the "1st" boarding group on the plane and then having to wait for "High Priority", "Seniors", "Veterans", "anyone with a baby", "Sky club members" :rofl:
I think there are a few people who were not in a high ranking quartile but still got pulled first.

I'm genuinely terrified that they won't even make it past the first quartile. It's almost the end of may. School starts in two months lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how but there are 260ish members in the FB page of c/o 2024. Did they accept too many or there are quite a few who withdrew but haven't left the group yet.

Not sure how but there are 260ish members in the FB page of c/o 2024. Did they accept too many or there are quite a few who withdrew but haven't left the group yet.
There's going to be 220 DO students, give or take a few. A few 2023 DO students as guides, DPM students (50ish accepted each year) and MSBS students (a few) and possibly any other grad students or professional students. DOs are not the only students on campus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

There's going to be 220 DO students, give or take a few. A few 2023 DO students as guides, DPM students (50ish accepted each year) and MSBS students (a few) and possibly any other grad students or professional students. DOs are not the only students on campus.

I highly doubt that all 50ish DPM students joined our DO group.

No, but if you add in the other programs, it's not surprising that 260 are on the page if most of the DO class joined the FB group.
I highly doubt that all 50ish DPM students joined our DO group.

my friend emailed Anna Cruz and she said the waitlist has been historically slow moving this year and its FREAKING me out :scared: I want to go to DMU so bad :cryi:. Im about to have one of my recommenders send DMU an update letter for me ..BRB

my friend emailed Anna Cruz and she said the waitlist has been historically slow moving this year and its FREAKING me out :scared: I want to go to DMU so bad :cryi:. Im about to have one of my recommenders send DMU an update letter for me ..BRB
1. Anna is the absolute best, I did most of my pre-med at a Community College (as a DIY Post-Bacc) so didn't have a pre-med advisor and she was so helpful through this process.
2. Maybe things are just getting pushed out a bit but we will still have a peak in early June! Here's to hoping, stay strong.

There's quite a few non incoming students in the facebook group. Lots of current students and some staff

Reactions: 4 users
There's quite a few non incoming students in the facebook group. Lots of current students and some staff
That's pretty reassuring to hear, thanks for letting us know!

Anyone still looking for housing? Still on a waitlist at a place but gonna have to look elsewhere pretty soon.

Also, just submitted my loan request form.

I think I just need to do my titers and PE, then I'm all set.

It's finally starting to hit me that I'm going to be moving and starting med school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well, it has officially been a week since the last sign of life (movement of WL) from people on here, like @governmenthooker said, time to start panicking xD
I don't think it's time to start panicking yet. Like Chibucks said, WL movement here probably goes until orientation.

Seems like MD schools will scoop some people up in the coming weeks. I'm waitlisted at several of my IS schools, so there's a chance I may free a seat up. However, if i'm already in DSM I may reject the offer and stick with DMU.

I don't think it's time to start panicking yet. Like Chibucks said, WL movement here probably goes until orientation.

Seems like MD schools will scoop some people up in the coming weeks. I'm waitlisted at several of my IS schools, so there's a chance I may free a seat up. However, if i'm already in DSM I may reject the offer and stick with DMU.
I like your positivity. I was going to say wasn't there someone earlier in the thread that said they knew 5-6 people that got accepted off the waitlist between June and July and another 2 in August? Maybe I'm getting the school threads mixed up. While it is concerning that Anna Cruz stated the movement has been historically slow, I still think we have a very long way to go. I'm going to choose to start panicking in the beginning of July instead.

I like your positivity. I was going to say wasn't there someone earlier in the thread that said they knew 5-6 people that got accepted off the waitlist between June and July and another 2 in August? Maybe I'm getting the school threads mixed up. While it is concerning that Anna Cruz stated the movement has been historically slow, I still think we have a very long way to go. I'm going to choose to start panicking in the beginning of July instead.
I just looked over last year's thread and counted 6 acceptances from 5/26/19 to the last post. Guarantee there were more than 6 given out since it's only a small percentage of applicants that use SDN.

I'll try to keep an eye out on the FB page for y'all. I'll check out the new peeps joining and try to determine if they are current students or not. I just checked and most of the new ones in the past week have been current students (white coat profile pics, DMU as school, mutual friend with current students I have added).

JUST GOT THE PHONE CALL IM SCREAMING SKAKSJDHWKWJWKWKWK!!!!!!!! JUST POPPED MY CHAMPAGNE IVE BEEN SAVING FOR THIS MOMENT!!! WATCH OUT DES MOINES THERES A NEW GAY IN TOWN!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
JUST GOT THE PHONE CALL IM SCREAMING SKAKSJDHWKWJWKWKWK!!!!!!!! JUST POPPED MY CHAMPAGNE IVE BEEN SAVING FOR THIS MOMENT!!! WATCH OUT DES MOINES THERES A NEW GAY IN TOWN!!!!!!!!
I was 1st Q non HP and my friend (1st Q HP) got the call 10 minutes after I did

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats omg I'm so happy for you!!!

Anyone still looking for housing? Still on a waitlist at a place but gonna have to look elsewhere pretty soon.

Also, just submitted my loan request form.

I think I just need to do my titers and PE, then I'm all set.

It's finally starting to hit me that I'm going to be moving and starting med school!

I'm still looking for housing. So hard to do bc I can't see anything in person

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still looking for housing. So hard to do bc I can't see anything in person

I feel ya. Thankfully we live in an era where virtual tours are possible haha. But nothing beats seeing it in person.

Which areas are you looking at if you don’t mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Does anyone remember/know if the wellness center has a good weight room? Squat rack, multiple benches, bars, plenty of plates, dumbbells, that sort of thing.

I’m not a body builder, but I want to get back into my routine that I started last fall. Started seeing some progress right when COVID started. If DMU doesn’t have that stuff then I’ll have to look for a gym!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN