2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

"incoming" meaning new classes of students coming in or intro courses are P/F? Thanks!

New classes! The current M1s might also be P/F but I'm a checked-out fourth year so I forget. 🙂

eta: Actually, I think it is only preclinical courses that are P/F, at least for now. But I think that's common.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you let us know when you were placed on the waitlist (what date and when did you interview)? Is EVMS one of your top picks? Thank you.
I interviewed at the end of September and thankfully, they were kind enough to go ahead and put me on the waitlist (top 1/3) within a few weeks of that instead of making me sit in med school purgatory for months. I'm an IS, non-traditional applicant. EVMS is a great school and is definitely high on my list. I would love to participate in their medical Spanish program.
 
Does anyone know if they are just interviewing for waitlists now? Interviewing on March 27th but accpeted to another school already.
 
Hey guys, I recently got placed on the alternate list for EVMS, does anyone have any advice on how to improve chances of acceptance? Anything would be greatly appreciated
 
Can you let us know when you interviewed and when your application was completed? LM score? Thank you.
I interviewed on February 5, I completed my application on 11/13/2019 (I know that's late, but I just graduated from school and I owed some money before that would release my transcripts. I was had to work and pay it off before I could apply to all my schools) And my LM score is 64
 
Hey guys, I recently got placed on the alternate list for EVMS, does anyone have any advice on how to improve chances of acceptance? Anything would be greatly appreciated

Significant updates/Show continued interest/Send in LOI. Other than that, it's a waiting game. They have a lot of WL movement historically it seems so sit tight and go do fun things in the meantime...Best of luck 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My wife and I are in state and both sitting in the top third of the waitlist. No other shared acceptances except at a DO school far from home. You guys think you have it rough... Interviewed 12/11 and W/L 3 weeks later. Also sent a couple updates and even received an email from one of my interviewers.. still nothing. This process man.
 
Last edited:
My wife and I are in state and both sitting in the top third of the waitlist. No other shared acceptances except at a DO school far from home. You guys think you have it rough... Interviewed 12/11 and W/L 3 weeks later. Also sent a couple updates and even received an email from one of my interviewers.. still nothing. This process man.

Guess it’s good I’m single. Serious note, hope it all works out for you and wife. I believe movement off the WL doesn’t really start until April 1st since they actively consider all interviewers.
 
Guess it’s good I’m single. Serious note, hope it all works out for you and wife. I believe movement off the WL doesn’t really start until April 1st since they actively consider all interviewers.
Yeah that makes sense. Being single has it's perks, but when your wife can read over your study guide and ask questions on commutes you just cant beat that. Anyways, I'm holding a couple acceptances since I can withdraw for a refund prior to April 1st if I hear from EVMS sooner. Wouldn't be surprised if that deadline really got things rolling for other places too.
 
Yeah that makes sense. Being single has it's perks, but when your wife can read over your study guide and ask questions on commutes you just cant beat that. Anyways, I'm holding a couple acceptances since I can withdraw for a refund prior to April 1st if I hear from EVMS sooner. Wouldn't be surprised if that deadline really got things rolling for other places too.

Hey at least you have a couple MD acceptances. I’m sitting here after paying a non refundable DO deposit of 750. Keep your head up, it’ll all work out. I hope 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WL today as well, interviewed 2/12. OOS

edit: just called and I’m also in the top third!
 
Last edited:
With a new round of decisions coming out today, I'm just going to say it again. There have been no acceptances (except one off the WL) on this thread since December. Don't lose hope if you get WLed

By decisions coming out today, do you just mean for the ones who interviewed recently or acceptances off the WL?
 
How often do they chance your wait list tier? Or is it set in stone until final decisions are made?

I believe it is set in stone until final decisions are made. Also, candidates aren't pulled in chronological order. They try to match the demographics (and experiences?) of the student who withdrew to keep the class fairly diverse.
 
I believe it is set in stone until final decisions are made. Also, candidates aren't pulled in chronological order. They try to match the demographics (and experiences?) of the student who withdrew to keep the class fairly diverse.
Oh wow, this wait list process is a lot more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the insight though!
 
Any current med students at EVMS willing to share a list of housing options nearby? Including the EVMS housing itself -- wondering if most students who want the campus housing are able to get it? Thanks in advance!
 
Thank you for the information. Just wondering--- LM score? Have you provided any other schools with a "yes"/deposit and, if so, does a school refund the initial deposit if you decide to go elsewhere? Up to what point can you get your deposit back? Will you be visiting EVMS again for a second look?
Honestly, I'm not sure what my LM score is. Probably not the highest, but I'm coming from a pretty non-traditional background. MCAT is 506 if it's helpful, so I think that has been my biggest hindrance for the MD schools. Sitting in the top 1/3 of the waitlist here, so still holding out some hope though.

I'm not quite sure how my answers to your other questions help...if you are given acceptance somewhere, 100% put down a deposit whether it is refundable or not. Don't lose a spot because you are on a waitlist for somewhere you'd prefer. I understand that it isn't easy to put down that much money up front, but even if you lose the deposit, it's a small fee relative to the total tuition. I'll certainly go back to the school to take another look if I'm accepted, but I wouldn't want to just to bug admissions about my status.
 
Thanks. I interviewed Feb 5. My application was on the late side because I was finishing up my master's in chemistry. My MCAT score was 515. I am weak with clinical hours but have been picking them up while working at NIH. So, maybe that's part of my problem. I teach English as a second language which I really enjoy. I am 22 with two publications. This upcoming cycle, I will be early, not late.
Me too, I will make sure I apply early this coming cycle. I haven’t heard anything from EVMS since my app so I’m assuming the worst, sadly. I wish you good luck in the rest of this cycle if you’re still waiting on decision, and for the next cycle. 🙂
 
Thanks. I interviewed Feb 5. My application was on the late side because I was finishing up my master's in chemistry. My MCAT score was 515. I am weak with clinical hours but have been picking them up while working at NIH. So, maybe that's part of my problem. I teach English as a second language which I really enjoy. I am 22 with two publications. This upcoming cycle, I will be early, not late.
It's great that you know how you'll tackle the application this process! I really hope you get in this time around!
 
I was almost considering applying to a school in the Caribbean. I know some folks did just this and their careers seemed to be fine for them. Now that the Step1 exam is P/F, I don't think that the Caribbean schools are viable (which might be, in part, why this change was made). Before, if you got an amazing score, there may have been hope to get a decent match. But now? Any thoughts?
Yeah don't go Caribbean. It wasn't an ideal path before Step 1 went P/F and it's even worse now
 
Any thoughts as to why? I know it might be tea leaves, but just wondering.
Actually no idea. I thought my interview went well. I thought at the very least I would have been waitlisted. I have no connection to the area but they don't have an in state preference so idk. The rejection email was very plain and discouraging. Glad I got two other acceptances.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed yesterday at EVMS!

They meet Mondays and Wednesdays every other week to announce decisions. They met this week already. I hope to hear back on March 16th week.

Everybody who interviews in Jan, Feb, and March gets put on the waitlist/rejected, according to admissions. 2/3 rd of the class comes from waitlist. Waitlist movement happens after April 30, tho a small movement can happen prior.

Great school with everything, but OOS cost of attendance is extremely high. 121/150 students get scholarship, tho it can even be around $300. One IS student gets a full scholarship every year.

For those still waiting to interview, good luck. You will do great!!
 
Last edited:
Interviewed yesterday at EVMS!

They meet Mondays and Wednesdays every other week to announce decisions. They met this week already. I hope to hear back on March 16th week.

Everybody who interviews in Jan, Feb, and March gets put on the waitlist/rejected, according to admissions. 2/3 rd of the class comes from waitlist. Waitlist movement happens after April 30, tho a small movement can happen prior.

Great school with everything, but OOS cost of attendance is extremely high. 121/150 students get scholarship, tho it can even be around $300. One IS student gets a full scholarship every year.

For those still waiting to interview, good luck. You will do great!!

Thanks for letting us know. This post was super helpful, best of luck to you!