2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got their secondary, it's one of the last ones I was waiting for :).

Members don't see this ad.

OOS 2˚ received today. I just realized they ask for 2 science LOR, does anyone know if they're strict about this? I don't want to pay the fee if it'll be an immediate rejection because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS 2˚ received today. I just realized they ask for 2 science LOR, does anyone know if they're strict about this? I don't want to pay the fee if it'll be an immediate rejection because of this.
It seems they are strict. I submitted the secondary last week, only to receive an email a few days later saying that they wont mark my application as complete until they receive those two letters.

It seems they are strict. I submitted the secondary last week, only to receive an email a few days later saying that they wont mark my application as complete until they receive those two letters.
Did u get an email when you submitted your secondary?

Did u get an email when you submitted your secondary?
Yeah. I received an email a few days after I submitted the secondary. Here's what it said:

"We have received all of your letters of recommendation, however, you have not submitted any letters from science professors you took classes under, and we require at least two science letters. We cannot complete your application until all letters are received. Please let us know when they have been uploaded. Thank you."

So I am assuming that they won't review my application until they receive those letters...

Yeah. I received an email a few days after I submitted the secondary. Here's what it said:

"We have received all of your letters of recommendation, however, you have not submitted any letters from science professors you took classes under, and we require at least two science letters. We cannot complete your application until all letters are received. Please let us know when they have been uploaded. Thank you."

So I am assuming that they won't review my application until they receive those letters...

Did you receive an email right away confirming you submitted your secondary? Or was that the first email you got?

Secondary just received, OOS, verified 6/20

Ah okay thank you for letting me know! I guess one less secondary to worry about :shrug:

OK dumb question guys, but all my chem/bio/physics were lecture/lab combined. I therefore repeated the same courses for both the lecture and lab component on the prerequisites section. Is that what you all did?

Any OOS have not received secondary yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Did you receive an email right away confirming you submitted your secondary? Or was that the first email you got?
That was the only email I received after I submitted my secondary.

Ah okay thank you for letting me know! I guess one less secondary to worry about :shrug:
You could always try emailing the admissions team to see if they would still accept your application.... just an option

Still no secondary.....

Anyone else waiting?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a 3.0 and 503. Off the top of my head so not sure
Just got rejected pre-secondary, OOS. Definitely wasn't expecting to be screened out like this, anyone know what their cutoffs are?

Got screened out. My scores were within their range though. even the mcat subsections. oos, permanent resident

I got an email telling me I should apply to their school before they sent me their secondary. I'm tempted to reply saying I already did apply. Anyone else get that email?

Do they send an email if you are rejected pre-secondary?

Did they tell you why? That's interesting. Holistic?
They did not give me specifics. Holistically I am actually better than just scores so idk. But I emailed them to ask if I made any mistakes... politely of course. So we will see, I will let you know if they get back to me!

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email telling me I should apply to their school before they sent me their secondary. I'm tempted to reply saying I already did apply. Anyone else get that email?

I got it too! I wasn’t considering this school before but then added it on after. I called the person who emailed me and she said I got it because I’m an URM. She was very helpful, I would call her!

506 MCAT cutoff seems really high for a school with a 513 median.
That's just what the admissions told me. I don't have the balls to fight them... plus I have 67 more schools to worry about lol

Reactions: 1 users
506 MCAT cutoff seems really high for a school with a 513 median.

I feel the same about their sGPA OOS minimum supposedly being 3.45... per MSAR, that would be above the 25th percentile of accepted OOS applicants? Hm

I am going to the mountains this weekend (no internet)... this is my last secondary. would u guys say its worth going hard tonight before bed to finish it, or will i be good submitting in the morning

I got it too! I wasn’t considering this school before but then added it on after. I called the person who emailed me and she said I got it because I’m an URM. She was very helpful, I would call her!
Thanks. I'm URM too (black) so that's probably why

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. Still no secondary from this school I am OOS. RIP. Meet the supposed 3.45 sGPA cutoff so not sure what other cutoffs they're using that would take this long. A shame because I really like Virginia but we can always have hope for VCU.

Wow. Still no secondary from this school I am OOS. RIP. Meet the supposed 3.45 sGPA cutoff so not sure what other cutoffs they're using that would take this long. A shame because I really like Virginia but we can always have hope for VCU.
It's Sunday night, they probably haven't been in the office in over 48 hours lol

They definitely aren't following a 3.45 sGPA cutoff, I got one and I have a terrible 3.30 sGPA lol
A lot of schools send them in random waves and a lot of schools have yet to complete this process

Secondary just received!! OOS & Lizzy M 69

Can any current students speak to the capstone project or concentration program? I saw that someone on a previous EVMS thread mentioned a scholarly concentration track of sorts, but haven't been able to find much about it on the website.
The capstone project is still a work in progress but basically the idea is that during M1 year you will choose a service learning group which you will be involved with predominantly during your M1 and M2 years. During this time, you will come up with a research idea that involves the patient population that your service learning group serves and eventually create a poster/presentation. (The research idea usually focuses on recognizing a barrier or issue that may be in your specific population and proposing ideas for how to tackle that issue).

Again, this is still a work in progress--my class is the first one to go through this capstone project so the curriculum might be tweaked based on the outcomes when our projects are due spring 2020.

Just called the school after being paranoid about cutoffs.

509 mcat cutoff and 3.4 sgpa min apparently for OOS.

EDIT:

To people who read this thread way later: No i am not lying or trying to contribute to neuroticism. I called and that's explicitly what she told me they were looking for from OOS candidates. However, as rollingstoneshill and others have already received their 2ndary with below-cutoff statistics, its evident they perform a holistic screen prior to giving out a secondary.

tldr: they read the whole app and so you may get a secondary even if below cutoffs. this is probably the reason for the data you see on MSAR.

Last edited:

To get the secondary or to be considered? Because my sGPA is a little below 3.4 and I got the secondary.

To get the secondary or to be considered? Because my sGPA is a little below 3.4 and I got the secondary.
To get the secondary. She was pretty cold/mean lmfao. Anyways thats dope that you got it then, as mines just below as well. MSAR data shows a wide range of gpas too so like I was confused tbh

To get the secondary. She was pretty cold/mean lmfao. Anyways thats dope that you got it then, as mines just below as well. MSAR data shows a wide range of gpas too so like I was confused tbh
This is my last secondary (barring the 2 I'm waiting on). Do we think its worth a submit even though I'm below that number?

This is my last secondary (barring the 2 I'm waiting on). Do we think its worth a submit even though I'm below that number?

Considering it takes a long time to receive it, I would submit. Seems like the people who get the secondaries have been looked over at least once (esp if these reported screens are not being followed to a tee and theyre looking at the apps a bit holistically) and therefore they want to see what more you have to say

MSAR date may seem off because of their SMP (lower undergrad stats but did well in their own program & got in)

IS secondary received, verified 6/27.

OK dumb question guys, but all my chem/bio/physics were lecture/lab combined. I therefore repeated the same courses for both the lecture and lab component on the prerequisites section. Is that what you all did?
Yes! This is what I did

Is this serious?

Literally on MSAR for OOS, median is 512 with 10th percentile being 506. What are they smoking to increase it that much...I'm salty

Is this serious?

Literally on MSAR for OOS, median is 512 with 10th percentile being 506. What are they smoking to increase it that much...I'm salty
There's no way that's a hard cutoff. My sGPA is below 3.4 (albeit barely) and I'm OOS. Received my secondary on the 17th.

Reactions: 2 users