2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's no way that's a hard cutoff. My sGPA is below 3.4 (albeit barely) and I'm OOS. Received my secondary on the 17th.

Thank god. thats why I applied here. I stated my lower-than-told-stat for the OOS school and she literally goes "you will not be receiving a secondary." didnt give them my id or anything lmfao but like idk what she was on

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
So just to clarify, if you're out of state and you don't have a 509 or a 3.4 sGPA, you will not be receiving a secondary? But when do you get notified of this?

So just to clarify, if you're out of state and you don't have a 509 or a 3.4 sGPA, you will not be receiving a secondary? But when do you get notified of this?
I would take that with a grain of salt. If that were true, I would not have gotten a secondary but I did. Maybe if you don't have at least one or the other?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general consensus is that those are soft guidelines, but it seems that they holistically review each application, that is, lay an actual pair of eyes on your stats, before deciding if you get a secondary. I'm sure there's all kinds of factors at play including IS/OOS quotas, ECs, trends, etc. Just like any other school screening, I'm sure you'll get a notification if they decide to pre-secondary reject you. I don't think schools "forget" about applicants. Wouldn't worry if you haven't gotten one yet, exercise some patience.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't go by that. I have a lower MCAT than that and I received a secondary a couple days ago!

How did everyone approach

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

Literally described my various exposures to medicine through activities/shadowing/etc. and a brief conclusive sentence in how that’s shaped my idea of medicine and so forth. I’d take prompts for literally how they are while trying to talk about something different if it requires bringing up something you’ve already covered in your primary.

Finally got a secondary today. OOS verified 7/7

Secondary received today (OOS) with an sGPA slightly below their stated screen! Woohoo!

Screened out of EVMS with an email recommending their biomedical science program (lol). LizzyM low-mid 60s (can’t recall exact number) but well within their MSAR data from last year. Plenty of volunteering/shadowing and thousands of clinical hours. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else!

Screened out of EVMS with an email recommending their biomedical science program (lol). LizzyM low-mid 60s (can’t recall exact number) but well within their MSAR data from last year. Plenty of volunteering/shadowing and thousands of clinical hours. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else!
Are you OOS? Or Is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-secondary, OOS, and within their mcat/gpa standards for OOS students last year.

The EVMS screen is holistic, they look at more than just mcat/gpa.

Irrelevant at this point (for me at least), I was just answering your question and hopefully giving insight to others who may have been screened out lol

Irrelevant at this point (for me at least), I was just answering your question and hopefully giving insight to others who may have been screened out lol
My apologies keanu, I didn't realize I quoted your post. I was simply stating the fact for others -- I was not directing anything towards you. Best of luck in your future endeavors I am sure you will find a school that is a great fit for you!!

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary out there? OOS here

Reactions: 2 users
These secondary response maximums seem long, my responses range from 700 to 1500 characters, is 700 too short?

These secondary response maximums seem long, my responses range from 700 to 1500 characters, is 700 too short?
If you feel like you adequately answered the prompt, then sure 700 should be fine. But I think based on what the questions are, I would personally try to add a little bit more

Wow.. I wish they were clear about this before allowing students to throw their money in the garbage. :/
Evms does a holistic review. These cutoffs are not finite. As many posters above have said — they have gotten secondaries with stats lower than this.

Reactions: 1 users
Evms does a holistic review. These cutoffs are not finite. As many posters above have said — they have gotten secondaries with stats lower than this.

Yep. Ill edit my post with the given screens to not deter others

edit: edited. hopefully that clears things up for newcomers to the thread. i apologize and shoot your shot

Yep. Ill edit my post with the given screens to not deter others

edit: edited. hopefully that clears things up for newcomers to the thread. i apologize and shoot your shot
Great-- and I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. As always we are strangers on the internet and no one should decide on applying to a school based on our opinion.

How long did it take for yall to get a completed secondary email or how can you check? Im paranoid I did not submit it :pirate:

+5, OOS, AMCAS Submitted May 30, verified 6/8, and I'm still waiting.....I wonder what's taking so long.

Does anyone know where we can find the in-state privileges form and whether we need to submit these before our application is considered complete? I submitted my secondary on 7/21 and still have yet to receive a complete email so I'm wondering if this is what is holding me up...

Does anyone know where we can find the in-state privileges form and whether we need to submit these before our application is considered complete? I submitted my secondary on 7/21 and still have yet to receive a complete email so I'm wondering if this is what is holding me up...
You will receive an email from Kerry Jones. She will request all the documents you said yes to on the secondary. Just be patient :) she’ll get to you

You will receive an email from Kerry Jones. She will request all the documents you said yes to on the secondary. Just be patient :) she’ll get to you

Then again, I am also in-state, and I never received an email asking for documents, but I did receive my complete email one day after I submitted my secondary. So I'm not sure if that's necessarily what's holding it up.

FWIW, I never received an email about in-state forms last year either (I'm a reapplicant), and I got an II. They only sent them to some people, as I recall. Then again, they changed their portal system this year vs last year so who knows if things are working the same this year or not.

Then again, I am also in-state, and I never received an email asking for documents, but I did receive my complete email one day after I submitted my secondary. So I'm not sure if that's necessarily what's holding it up.

FWIW, I never received an email about in-state forms last year either (I'm a reapplicant), and I got an II. They only sent them to some people, as I recall. Then again, they changed their portal system this year vs last year so who knows if things are working the same this year or not.
Well I think your situation is the exception to the rule. To be complete at EVMS in-state you must provide your instate documentation first. That is what you are waiting on. I am sure there are many people in the in-state cue and they are working as fast as they can.

Well I think your situation is the exception to the rule. To be complete at EVMS in-state you must provide your instate documentation first. That is what you are waiting on. I am sure there are many people in the in-state cue and they are working as fast as they can.

Just saying that other people last year as well did not receive a request for documentation for in-state designation. Not sure why they request it of some people and not others, but it is not always requested in order to be complete. It's not because I'm a reapplicant, because they did not request it from me in my first app cycle either.

That being said, for this person's case, since they haven't received a complete email yet then it may very well be because of in-state documentation

Has anyone gotten a secondary lately? I was verified 7/18 and haven’t gotten anything yet

Just saying that other people last year as well did not receive a request for documentation for in-state designation. Not sure why they request it of some people and not others, but it is not always requested in order to be complete. It's not because I'm a reapplicant, because they did not request it from me in my first app cycle either.

That being said, for this person's case, since they haven't received a complete email yet then it may very well be because of in-state documentation

So I called EVMS earlier this afternoon and was told that it can take up to 3 weeks to get a complete email. She also told me that not all IS applicants will be requested to send in in-state documentation. Then two hours later I finally got my complete email :) (without having to send in any in-state documents)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the complete email, submitted a little over a week ago

first R of the cycle... good luck to all!

Got an R without even a secondary. Not even that mad. Good luck to all!