You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Eastern Virginia
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
After several LONG years of applications, finally received my first A!! Accepted this morning via email! IS. Still in shock
SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Congrats 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does EVMS have any relationship with the HRT? Do they offer discounted yearly passes for public transit similar to ODU? I was looking at apartments and found one that is close to the rail line but wasn’t sure of the yearly cost to ride it to and from school.
I was not able to figure that out and have not tried contacting EVMS. I seem to recall EVMS was listed on the public transit site for a discounted pass, but it seemed to be before rates increased (more than doubled).
summerdays
New Member
An annual pass for the light rail this year was $75. I don't know how much it'll be next year but I doubt it'll be too much of an increase!I was not able to figure that out and have not tried contacting EVMS. I seem to recall EVMS was listed on the public transit site for a discounted pass, but it seemed to be before rates increased (more than doubled).
At The Virginia state schools (EVMS, VCU, UVA, vtech (kinda)), waitlist movement will continue until the first day of orientation. Since there are 4 state schools, anytime one list moves there’s a ripple effect, since many qualified candidates many times have stakes in more than one of these schools.Not sure. There was a bit of movement last week but nothing since then as far as I know. Hang in there.
Does anyone know if EVMS provides application feedback even if you're still on the WL? Given you can submit primaries figured it'd be a good time to ask if they do.
Reach out to the dean of admissions via email especially if you are instate.Does anyone know if EVMS provides application feedback even if you're still on the WL? Given you can submit primaries figured it'd be a good time to ask if they do.
Is the waitlist still moving?
I'm also curious. I emailed and asked how movement is currently going or if they could provide an info on it and their reply didn't directly answer or give any insight. Anyone can PM me if they want the exact response they gave me. Hopefully if someone else asks via email or phone call they may run into an admissions officer that is more talkative and willing to give some info! Otherwise, seems like it's been awfully quiet
I'm also curious. I emailed and asked how movement is currently going or if they could provide an info on it and their reply didn't directly answer or give any insight. Anyone can PM me if they want the exact response they gave me. Hopefully if someone else asks via email or phone call they may run into an admissions officer that is more talkative and willing to give some info! Otherwise, seems like it's been awfully quiet
Can't PM you for some reason
Can't seem to PM you either, could you also PM me the email. Thanks!I'm also curious. I emailed and asked how movement is currently going or if they could provide an info on it and their reply didn't directly answer or give any insight. Anyone can PM me if they want the exact response they gave me. Hopefully if someone else asks via email or phone call they may run into an admissions officer that is more talkative and willing to give some info! Otherwise, seems like it's been awfully quiet
Being on the middle-tier OOS WL, should I assume it's likely not happening this year? I felt like interviewed OOS applicants had really good odds since according to US world news data like 70% of interviewed applicants OOS got an offer last year.... However, this year seems to be different. June has been such a struggle
Yeah I've been working on my reapp... Also WLed at my IS school/top choice, which statistically I have worse odds of getting into than EVMS, so I'm just starting to accept the fact it's not happening this yearI'm also middle-tier OOS. I'm cautiously optimistic about movement since there has been minimal A's off the WL at this point. Let's hope that we hear some good news but have a Plan B just in case. Whether it's reapplying or attending another school (MD/DO)
Mid-tier OOS as well. Staying hopeful. Fortunately, I am accepted to my top choice DO program and will be attending. Would love to experience life on the East Coast (not to mention access to seafood), but if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be.
The way I see it, getting an interview is an accomplishment in and of itself!
The way I see it, getting an interview is an accomplishment in and of itself!
I'm also curious. I emailed and asked how movement is currently going or if they could provide an info on it and their reply didn't directly answer or give any insight. Anyone can PM me if they want the exact response they gave me. Hopefully if someone else asks via email or phone call they may run into an admissions officer that is more talkative and willing to give some info! Otherwise, seems like it's been awfully quiet
I tried calling but their voicemail currently requests that all questions be sent via email. Although they did ask all current applicants to leave their name and AMCAS ID #. But I’m not sure if that’s for the email for voicemail.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried calling but their voicemail currently requests that all questions be sent via email. Although they did ask all current applicants to leave their name and AMCAS ID #. But I’m not sure if that’s for the email for voicemail.
If it helps, when I emailed them to ask about the waitlist movement I gave them my name and amcas ID# but I don’t think they cared much about it since I didn’t ask anything specific to my application and their response was basically just wait for a spot to open and they didn’t indicate how movement is going
Hi! Received a call from admissions; missed it but pretty sure I got accepted. I’m middle-tier OOS, will likely be turning it down. Good luck to you all!
Hi! Received a call from admissions; missed it but pretty sure I got accepted. I’m middle-tier OOS, will likely be turning it down. Good luck to you all!
Congrats! Hoping there are more calls to come.
ey2020jof270
Full Member
Hello! I was accepted on Friday also (top tier OOS). I'll be accepting! I have a few questions for accepted students when anyone has a moment:
1) Do we have any idea when orientation starts? Just trying to get an around date in my calendar for the big move.
2) Is there a page with health forms to fill out? I have an appt tomorrow morning for physical etc. and admissions didn't send the health forms (I need to print the forms to bring and check what immunizations I need before tomorrow)!
3) Is there an admitted students Facebook page?
Thank you so much!
1) Do we have any idea when orientation starts? Just trying to get an around date in my calendar for the big move.
2) Is there a page with health forms to fill out? I have an appt tomorrow morning for physical etc. and admissions didn't send the health forms (I need to print the forms to bring and check what immunizations I need before tomorrow)!
3) Is there an admitted students Facebook page?
Thank you so much!
Hello! I was accepted on Friday also (top tier OOS). I'll be accepting! I have a few questions for accepted students when anyone has a moment:
1) Do we have any idea when orientation starts? Just trying to get an around date in my calendar for the big move.
2) Is there a page with health forms to fill out? I have an appt tomorrow morning for physical etc. and admissions didn't send the health forms (I need to print the forms to bring and check what immunizations I need before tomorrow)!
3) Is there an admitted students Facebook page?
Thank you so much!
1) orientation is listed on their calendar... I want to say August 5th (is definitely a Wednesday with classes beginning following Monday) - virtual most likely.
2) standard AAMC immunizations apply. TB (x2 if ppd). MMR, hep b series (plus titer) , tdap, chicken pox immunity. Copies of results are submitted online
3) link is in this thread somewhere - would relink if I was home
Hello! I was accepted on Friday also (top tier OOS). I'll be accepting! I have a few questions for accepted students when anyone has a moment:
1) Do we have any idea when orientation starts? Just trying to get an around date in my calendar for the big move.
2) Is there a page with health forms to fill out? I have an appt tomorrow morning for physical etc. and admissions didn't send the health forms (I need to print the forms to bring and check what immunizations I need before tomorrow)!
3) Is there an admitted students Facebook page?
Thank you so much!
thats the fb page link
ey2020jof270
Full Member
Thank you!1) orientation is listed on their calendar... I want to say August 5th (is definitely a Wednesday with classes beginning following Monday) - virtual most likely.
2) standard AAMC immunizations apply. TB (x2 if ppd). MMR, hep b series (plus titer) , tdap, chicken pox immunity. Copies of results are submitted online
3) link is in this thread somewhere - would relink if I was home
Where is the link to submit health docs?
When youre issued your evms credentials, theres a site on there called occupational health where you manually go in and input your immunizations and proof. Then after you submit, someone from occuhealth confirms everything.Thank you!
Where is the link to submit health docs?
ey2020jof270
Full Member
Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll get credentials sometime next week.When youre issued your evms credentials, theres a site on there called occupational health where you manually go in and input your immunizations and proof. Then after you submit, someone from occuhealth confirms everything.
Last question: Besides health forms, what is the pre-matriculation checklist? I.e. for the other school I was accepted at, there was a list of things I had to do (i.e. they needed copies of official transcripts directly from the school, and needed to get certificate that we completed a BLS Certification through American Heart Association).
Does EVMS require a BLS Course? Besides health forms what else has to be done before orientation? Do we have an orientation schedule/are classes for sure going to be online?
Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll get credentials sometime next week.
Last question: Besides health forms, what is the pre-matriculation checklist? I.e. for the other school I was accepted at, there was a list of things I had to do (i.e. they needed copies of official transcripts directly from the school, and needed to get certificate that we completed a BLS Certification through American Heart Association).
Does EVMS require a BLS Course? Besides health forms what else has to be done before orientation? Do we have an orientation schedule/are classes for sure going to be online?
We do have a prematriculation checklist. You gotta submit an official transcript for your undergrad and complete some courses on the accepted MD student course in the evms blackboard. They do take some time but not too much.
They dont have to be completed before orientation. They have to be done before august 1st i think.
No need for BLS certification. Classes are probably going to be a mix of online and in person. Anatomy lab is probably going to be in person but limited size whereas other classes are gonna be online. Reason I say probably is because im not exactly sure. Thats just what ive been hearing here and there.
hey guys, has anyone received a scholarship from EVMS? i filled out the scholarship application form and emailed finaid but never got a response. are the scholarships awarded with our initial finaid or are they added after? i don't see any deadlines for them on their scholarship page, but idk if i'm just looking in the wrong area
I emailed the financial aid office about this and on May 18th they said "we are still working on scholarships and we do not have a date yet as to when students will be notified" so im not totally sure but it better be before the CTE datehey guys, has anyone received a scholarship from EVMS? i filled out the scholarship application form and emailed finaid but never got a response. are the scholarships awarded with our initial finaid or are they added after? i don't see any deadlines for them on their scholarship page, but idk if i'm just looking in the wrong area
I emailed the financial aid office about this and on May 18th they said "we are still working on scholarships and we do not have a date yet as to when students will be notified" so im not totally sure but it better be before the CTE date
ahh ok good to know! i will email them again haha
Cool, let me know what they say please!ahh ok good to know! i will email them again haha
Has anyone had any luck in regards to gaining some insight into the waitlist movement? I asked admissions and they responded with " Per AAMC guidelines the class must remain full at this time. If an accepted applicant withdraws, we will fill it with a waitlisted applicant."
Not trying to be rude but that seems like a pretty transparent answer. Right now all their seats are full because we are past the AAMC CTE date and they had time to fill the spots that opened after that. From now on movement will depend on people from the full class getting accepted elsewhere and dropping their spot, thus opening up a spot for waitlist.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not trying to be rude but that seems like a pretty transparent answer. Right now all their seats are full because we are past the AAMC CTE date and they had time to fill the spots that opened after that. From now on movement will depend on people from the full class getting accepted elsewhere and dropping their spot, thus opening up a spot for waitlist.
This is the right answer. I don't see a point in bugging them. If we get pulled, we get pulled, but I think a majority of the movement has come and gone and we will see a "trickle".
If you don't hold an acceptance now, I would highly consider plans for reapplying and/or taking another gap-year.
Not trying to be rude but that seems like a pretty transparent answer. Right now all their seats are full because we are past the AAMC CTE date and they had time to fill the spots that opened after that. From now on movement will depend on people from the full class getting accepted elsewhere and dropping their spot, thus opening up a spot for waitlist.
One correction, the CTE date has not yet passed. PTE date has, but I do not believe EVMS uses a PTE date.
One correction, the CTE date has not yet passed. PTE date has, but I do not believe EVMS uses a PTE date.
Whoops yeah I totally meant to say “the AAMC PTE* date.”
just withdrew from waitlist due to CTE deadline elsewhere. best of luck to everyone still waiting whether it be for evms or another school! and for new lurkers so that you don't have to go through the entire thread, some evms acceptances from the waitlist occurred on april 16 (thurs), april 24 (fri), april 29 (wed), may 4 (mon), may 22 (fri), may 23 (sat), june 5 (fri). maybe that will be of use to you! peace out!
Just withdrew from waitlist after CTEing at my top choice. I was mid tier oos. I hope someone on here gets in soon! Hang in there
lol update they haven't replied to me :/Cool, let me know what they say please!
Oh really? they honestly might have missed your email. I sent one a couple days ago and this was the responselol update they haven't replied to me :/
The scholarship awarding process is ongoing, and not all have been awarded yet. We will definitely let you know should you be chosen as the recipient for any scholarship, as well as notify you if there is any more information needed or due.
Oh really? they honestly might have missed your email. I sent one a couple days ago and this was the response
The scholarship awarding process is ongoing, and not all have been awarded yet. We will definitely let you know should you be chosen as the recipient for any scholarship, as well as notify you if there is any more information needed or due.
oh cool thanks for letting me know!
D
deleted432427
I am top 3rd OOS, interviewed 2/7 and am still waiting to get off of WL. I know from previous posts that EVMS strictly adhere to demographics for taking people off of the WL. It doesn't make sense to me why you would even tell applicants where they are ranked or even have a rank list if you don't go in order of the rank list or at least compare demos within the thirds. I think it just gives the applicants false hope.... IDK, 2020 is a strange year. For what's it worth, admissions did say the WL is hardly moving compared to previous years around this time.
Also, EVMS has recently made Juneteenth a paid holiday for all employees, so we probably won't hear anything today. So, celebrate Juneteenth and enjoy the weekend. Stress about it next week.
Also, EVMS has recently made Juneteenth a paid holiday for all employees, so we probably won't hear anything today. So, celebrate Juneteenth and enjoy the weekend. Stress about it next week.
Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone from EVMS admissions office say the WL is moving slower this year? Or you’re saying just in general this year?I am top 3rd OOS, interviewed 2/7 and am still waiting to get off of WL. I know from previous posts that EVMS strictly adhere to demographics for taking people off of the WL. It doesn't make sense to me why you would even tell applicants where they are ranked or even have a rank list if you don't go in order of the rank list or at least compare demos within the thirds. I think it just gives the applicants false hope.... IDK, 2020 is a strange year. For what's it worth, admissions did say the WL is hardly moving compared to previous years around this time.
Also, EVMS has recently made Juneteenth a paid holiday for all employees, so we probably won't hear anything today. So, celebrate Juneteenth and enjoy the weekend. Stress about it next week.
D
deleted432427
Someone in EVMS admission said the WL is moving slower this year compared to previous years. They didn't say why. I speculate that a large part is due to the uncertainties of the pandemic affecting the decision-making of accepted students.
Oh really? they honestly might have missed your email. I sent one a couple days ago and this was the response
The scholarship awarding process is ongoing, and not all have been awarded yet. We will definitely let you know should you be chosen as the recipient for any scholarship, as well as notify you if there is any more information needed or due.
Same. I got a $1000 scholarship (in addition to evms need-based aid) but was wondering if anyone else got anything and what the average scholarship amount is. I was hoping to get more aid haha
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
What tab do you click on to see if you got scholarships or is it sent in email?Same. I got a $1000 scholarship (in addition to evms need-based aid) but was wondering if anyone else got anything and what the average scholarship amount is. I was hoping to get more aid haha
Also wondering this.What tab do you click on to see if you got scholarships or is it sent in email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What tab do you click on to see if you got scholarships or is it sent in email?
It was listed in my award summary both in the email they sent me and on the financial aid website. The awards are listed as Federal Graduate PLUS, Federal Unsubsidized Loans, Institutional Grants, and then State Grants.
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
I’m not sure if this will help but the class is full yet so hopes alive