2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey everone. I've been reading this forum but finally just made an account lol. I'm IS top third on waitlist, no other acceptances or WL's. Lower MCAT killed me this cycle. Realizing that I'm likely going through all this again (MCAT included) in the coming months. Torn between having hope and feeling hopeless about this waitlist. Just reaching out cause I know you all understand 🙂
 
Hey everone. I've been reading this forum but finally just made an account lol. I'm IS top third on waitlist, no other acceptances or WL's. Lower MCAT killed me this cycle. Realizing that I'm likely going through all this again (MCAT included) in the coming months. Torn between having hope and feeling hopeless about this waitlist. Just reaching out cause I know you all understand 🙂
I'm in top third IS WL and had a lower MCAT as well. I began studying again for it. I am optimistic but am preparing because my last MCAT will be over the deadline of 3 years that med schools accept. If anyone else is in a similar boat, I'd be happy to study with anyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in top third IS WL and had a lower MCAT as well. I began studying again for it. I am optimistic but am preparing because my last MCAT will be over the deadline of 3 years that med schools accept. If anyone else is in a similar boat, I'd be happy to study with anyone.
Nice to meet someone in the same boat! I went through some health problems last year right before my MCAT so tbh I'm pretty scared to start studying again-- it brings all that back. How have you started the process again? Are you using the same approach you did the first time around?
 
Nice to meet someone in the same boat! I went through some health problems last year right before my MCAT so tbh I'm pretty scared to start studying again-- it brings all that back. How have you started the process again? Are you using the same approach you did the first time around?
Last time I used Kaplan, but found myself working a mentally intense job and completely exhausted when it came to studying or watching the video conferences they had. This time, my job is much less intense and I began creating my own flash cards from the same Kaplan books. I go through the flash cards in my head when I drive to work or when I'm cleaning since I've gone through them so much. It's dramatically increasing retention. I'm going through those same books with a much finer comb so it's taking longer, but find my section scores increasing. No video conferences required.
 
Last time I used Kaplan, but found myself working a mentally intense job and completely exhausted when it came to studying or watching the video conferences they had. This time, my job is much less intense and I began creating my own flash cards from the same Kaplan books. I go through the flash cards in my head when I drive to work or when I'm cleaning since I've gone through them so much. It's dramatically increasing retention. I'm going through those same books with a much finer comb so it's taking longer, but find my section scores increasing. No video conferences required.
going to message you so we don't clutter this thread
 
Was anything discussed in the town hall meeting regarding fall classes?

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

I only listened to the first like ~50 minutes so if someone heard something pertinent in the last part feel free to update me-- but from what I heard, they didn't say anything specific to M1s, but they did mention that in August the fall semester would be starting "mostly but not totally" online, whatever that might mean. Sounded like there might be small group/lab type of things that are in person but everything else is mostly online if at all possible, but again they didn't specify about M1s, so I'm not entirely sure. I think they said they're still working on ironing out the exact plan, though.

They'll be posting the recording online, so if yall want to check for yourselves it should eventually be on their covid-19 update website!
 
I emailed a few days ago and they said it’s still happening


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While it sucks to be waiting, I really applaud EVMS for responding to people about WL movement and the transparency they provide about rank. Of course there's more info we wished we had to help us sleep at night. However, the other WL I'm on, which so happens to be my IS school and top choice, doesn't tell us anything other than we're on the WL and we can't even send updates. This process had made me age an extra 3 years. The pain that being WLed causes is something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Sorry for the melodramatic post just had to vent
 
keep yourselves busy everyone! I have definitely gained some weight, especially if these gyms don’t open anytime soon. Made sourdough cinnamon rolls and going to make grilled wings and asparagus tonight.

if I don’t get accepted off the WL, I’ll at least still have my cooking! 😛

also, if you have Netflix and haven’t seen Giri Haji, I recommend it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current rising M2 in EVMS. Ask me anything.

I remember reading your posts in last years thread and was so happy you got in because of how above and beyond you went!

how was your first year? I think you said you were planning to live alone, how was that financially? Also, did you end up living far away from campus? What’s your favorite sandwich at handsome biscuit?
 
I remember reading your posts in last years thread and was so happy you got in because of how above and beyond you went!

how was your first year? I think you said you were planning to live alone, how was that financially? Also, did you end up living far away from campus? What’s your favorite sandwich at handsome biscuit?
HI! Maaannn time flew so fast. I feel like just yesterday I was sitting here, waiting to get off that WL...

First year was interesting. When you get into medical school everything seems unreal at first... You literally cannot believe you are there. Then the school starts and hits you hard. Everyone I know had severe imposter syndrome at least for a little while. You start thinking you are not good enough, smart enough, etc. You keep thinking that you do not deserve to be there. I am saying this because almost everyone will have that feeling at some point, - and it is normal. I just kept telling myself that if admissions gave me a chance, I DO deserve to be there (because they are smart people, who's been doing it for a while). When I just started studying I was definitely doing it wrong.... I kept hitting this wall, - my grades were not as high as I wanted them to be. So I talked to upper classmates, friends, professors, and by the end of the first semester I figured out how my brain works, and I was fine. Now, looking back, I am so happy I was asking people for help.

I live alone downtown, and I am happy I do, because I am an introvert and because I have pets. But everyone I know lives with roommates and they are doing great. SO, you would be fine either way. I live downtown, - on the map it looks far, but it is actually about 8 min bike ride away from school. Sometimes I drive... But when I am running late I always take a bike (that's how close it is, - it is faster to get to school on the bike, vs getting in and out of the garage).
I have no idea what handsome biscuit is... hahhaha. My favorite sandwich is lethal burger in Tap IT. 🙂) I love that place.

I knew that I wanted to be in EVMS from the day I set my foot there. And I was fortunate to have a choice - I was accepted to 4 great school. But EVMS stole my heart from day one. Now, having been there for a year, and comparing my experience with friends in other schools, I realize that I made the best decision! between faculty and staff support, our amazing remediation policy, ultrasound curriculum, free food they are giving us all the time (hahaha), our incredible office of academic development (I actually made appointment and they spent an HOUR with me making a plan and listening), I feel so lucky. And trust me, - I am not the "happy shiny cheerleading person". I am a bit dark and twisted, an introvert. So, when I tell you "I am happy here", its real. 🙂))
 
HI! Maaannn time flew so fast. I feel like just yesterday I was sitting here, waiting to get off that WL...

First year was interesting. When you get into medical school everything seems unreal at first... You literally cannot believe you are there. Then the school starts and hits you hard. Everyone I know had severe imposter syndrome at least for a little while. You start thinking you are not good enough, smart enough, etc. You keep thinking that you do not deserve to be there. I am saying this because almost everyone will have that feeling at some point, - and it is normal. I just kept telling myself that if admissions gave me a chance, I DO deserve to be there (because they are smart people, who's been doing it for a while). When I just started studying I was definitely doing it wrong.... I kept hitting this wall, - my grades were not as high as I wanted them to be. So I talked to upper classmates, friends, professors, and by the end of the first semester I figured out how my brain works, and I was fine. Now, looking back, I am so happy I was asking people for help.

I live alone downtown, and I am happy I do, because I am an introvert and because I have pets. But everyone I know lives with roommates and they are doing great. SO, you would be fine either way. I live downtown, - on the map it looks far, but it is actually about 8 min bike ride away from school. Sometimes I drive... But when I am running late I always take a bike (that's how close it is, - it is faster to get to school on the bike, vs getting in and out of the garage).
I have no idea what handsome biscuit is... hahhaha. My favorite sandwich is lethal burger in Tap IT. 🙂) I love that place.

I knew that I wanted to be in EVMS from the day I set my foot there. And I was fortunate to have a choice - I was accepted to 4 great school. But EVMS stole my heart from day one. Now, having been there for a year, and comparing my experience with friends in other schools, I realize that I made the best decision! between faculty and staff support, our amazing remediation policy, ultrasound curriculum, free food they are giving us all the time (hahaha), our incredible office of academic development (I actually made appointment and they spent an HOUR with me making a plan and listening), I feel so lucky. And trust me, - I am not the "happy shiny cheerleading person". I am a bit dark and twisted, an introvert. So, when I tell you "I am happy here", its real. 🙂))
Sounds like everything I felt when visiting the campus and talking to people on interview day! Thanks for answering! I have two cats and think I will try a solo place my first year. Already used to living on my own and wouldn’t mind extra privacy. Just scared about the prices since downtown, it’s COSTLY!

Gotta get accepted first though. Let’s hope it’s tomorrow!!
 
Sounds like everything I felt when visiting the campus and talking to people on interview day! Thanks for answering! I have two cats and think I will try a solo place my first year. Already used to living on my own and wouldn’t mind extra privacy. Just scared about the prices since downtown, it’s COSTLY!

Gotta get accepted first though. Let’s hope it’s tomorrow!!
PM me when you get accepted - I’ll help you with advice . I think my complex offers the best deal downtown . And i love it - planning to stay all 4 years. I think I might be able to hook you up with referral
 
Sounds like everything I felt when visiting the campus and talking to people on interview day! Thanks for answering! I have two cats and think I will try a solo place my first year. Already used to living on my own and wouldn’t mind extra privacy. Just scared about the prices since downtown, it’s COSTLY!

Gotta get accepted first though. Let’s hope it’s tomorrow!!
Your optimism is inspiring.
 
HI! Maaannn time flew so fast. I feel like just yesterday I was sitting here, waiting to get off that WL...

First year was interesting. When you get into medical school everything seems unreal at first... You literally cannot believe you are there. Then the school starts and hits you hard. Everyone I know had severe imposter syndrome at least for a little while. You start thinking you are not good enough, smart enough, etc. You keep thinking that you do not deserve to be there. I am saying this because almost everyone will have that feeling at some point, - and it is normal. I just kept telling myself that if admissions gave me a chance, I DO deserve to be there (because they are smart people, who's been doing it for a while). When I just started studying I was definitely doing it wrong.... I kept hitting this wall, - my grades were not as high as I wanted them to be. So I talked to upper classmates, friends, professors, and by the end of the first semester I figured out how my brain works, and I was fine. Now, looking back, I am so happy I was asking people for help.

I live alone downtown, and I am happy I do, because I am an introvert and because I have pets. But everyone I know lives with roommates and they are doing great. SO, you would be fine either way. I live downtown, - on the map it looks far, but it is actually about 8 min bike ride away from school. Sometimes I drive... But when I am running late I always take a bike (that's how close it is, - it is faster to get to school on the bike, vs getting in and out of the garage).
I have no idea what handsome biscuit is... hahhaha. My favorite sandwich is lethal burger in Tap IT. 🙂) I love that place.

I knew that I wanted to be in EVMS from the day I set my foot there. And I was fortunate to have a choice - I was accepted to 4 great school. But EVMS stole my heart from day one. Now, having been there for a year, and comparing my experience with friends in other schools, I realize that I made the best decision! between faculty and staff support, our amazing remediation policy, ultrasound curriculum, free food they are giving us all the time (hahaha), our incredible office of academic development (I actually made appointment and they spent an HOUR with me making a plan and listening), I feel so lucky. And trust me, - I am not the "happy shiny cheerleading person". I am a bit dark and twisted, an introvert. So, when I tell you "I am happy here", its real. 🙂))

How’s med school with pets?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: M&L
I think it is easy. I would discourage you from getting a dog now, but if you do already - you will be fine. I have a dog and a cat. And 3 aquariums.... and 20 plants... You get the point. 🙂. Cats are definitely easy.

Oh wow! That’s relieving to hear. How do you manage? I have a 2 year old pupper that I would love to take with me, but I’m worried I won’t be able to give him enough attention.
 
Oh wow! That’s relieving to hear. How do you manage? I have a 2 year old pupper that I would love to take with me, but I’m worried I won’t be able to give him enough attention.
well, all the lectures are recorded, and you actually don't have to go to school every day.... .Clinical experiences are maybe once a week, a lab is once a week... So you would probably be in school 4 half-days a week at most? Once in a while it would be a full day. SO, definitely manageable. I like to study at home though, with easy access to my fridge 🙂)). If you are a person who needs to go to the library to study, than its different. Most days I study about 8 hours a day. But I do it at home. So, it is up to you.
 
keep yourselves busy everyone! I have definitely gained some weight, especially if these gyms don’t open anytime soon. Made sourdough cinnamon rolls and going to make grilled wings and asparagus tonight.

if I don’t get accepted off the WL, I’ll at least still have my cooking! 😛

also, if you have Netflix and haven’t seen Giri Haji, I recommend it!

If/when we both get in and start school in the fall, I'm coming over to your apt for some of your cooking!
 
Current rising M2 in EVMS. Ask me anything.
How do you like Norfolk? As someone who interviewed remotely, I am a little nervous that I committed to EVMS without actually seeing the city/school/facilities.
How do you feel about the Careforward curriculum so far? Any likes/dislikes?
How did you feel on your first day at EVMS? I read that M1's have their very first SP encounter on day one, which I am super excited for!
Thanks in advance! Your responses throughout this thread have been incredibly helpful!
 
How do you like Norfolk? As someone who interviewed remotely, I am a little nervous that I committed to EVMS without actually seeing the city/school/facilities.
How do you feel about the Careforward curriculum so far? Any likes/dislikes?
How did you feel on your first day at EVMS? I read that M1's have their very first SP encounter on day one, which I am super excited for!
Thanks in advance! Your responses throughout this thread have been incredibly helpful!
so this is that i wrote on a different page:

Well, I lived in Northern Virginia before coming here, - near DC, so I will just speak to my impressions.
1). Weather: it is warm. We don't get snow every winter (this year we did not 🙁((). It would TRY to fall sometimes, but doesn't stick to the ground, if it makes any sense. We do get storms and such, but I am sure its nothing like Florida, so I will not even try to compare there.... So I would say the weather is nice. I miss the snow though 🙁(. Its a little too warm for me. The plus side - it is always green. Leaves do change color, but grass is always green, there is bamboo and cacti, and koi ponds.
2) Norfolk is gorgeous, Everything is so green, water is really clean, beautiful architecture. Stunning. So, there two main areas that you should consider when choosing a place to live - downtown and Ghent. Ghent is where the school is. On the map these areas seem so far, but in reality they are about 8 min bike ride. So, Ghent is historical part, downtown is where majority of the bars, restaurants, mall, movie theatre, etc.
3) Norfolk is a small and large city at the same time. Ghent and downtown give you a feel of a small town, for example I have a car, but I bike everywhere. It is very nice and clean. But we even have our own opera house, and larger Norfolk with virginia beach area, etc, is huge. So, it is both small and large. The great thing is there is a lot to do, - I am a single person, I live downtown, and this is where all the fun is: bars, restaurants, etc. (Ghent has things too, but majority of fun things are downtown).
4) rent is relatively cheap (but I lived in DC area).
5) there are several big grocery stores within walking/biking distance from school, more if you drive.

So, overall, I really like it here. I like that it is green, clean, beautiful, and a lot of fun things to do. I was initially concerned about Norfolk being so small (I am used to major metro areas like DC), but actually I discovered that this is better. Norfolk is very warm and welcoming, and I find that it has a lot of fun things going on too. If you have a family, - let me know, ill speak to that . There are very nice family friendly neighborhoods where people live and I can help you navigate that.
 
How do you like Norfolk? As someone who interviewed remotely, I am a little nervous that I committed to EVMS without actually seeing the city/school/facilities.
How do you feel about the Careforward curriculum so far? Any likes/dislikes?
How did you feel on your first day at EVMS? I read that M1's have their very first SP encounter on day one, which I am super excited for!
Thanks in advance! Your responses throughout this thread have been incredibly helpful!
Other information:
1) everything in school looks very nice, new and shiny. I do not know a single person who interviewed here and did not like facilities. I've been to some places during interview season that looked very run-down... EVMS is not like that. You can tell where the money goes. We also have very good equipment, so you can tell the school is really investing in the best stuff for us. You won't be disappointed.
THe school overall has a lot of warm welcoming colors, plants in hallways, etc. So it makes you feel at home. There are a lot of cozy nooks to study, wifi is fast (faster than my home wifi anyway 🙂, and there is a giant fridge where you can leave your lunch - everyone i know brings their own lunch bag. Parking is free if you choose to drive, but biking is usually faster.

2). I honestly think that our curriculum is perfect. I have friends in other schools, so i can compare. So, you know how some schools have separate subjects? Pathology, histology, etc? we dont. We have "blocks". During the first semester you will cover anatomy and physiology (human structure) and what we call "Foundational sciences", which is a blend of biochemistry, immunology, and a few other things. Then, in the second semester we have General Mechanism of DIsease (essentially pathology with micro and pharm pieces), then Skin, Muscle, Bone, and we finish off the first semester with GI (GI and metabolism). Second year we have Heart, Kidney, Lungs, reproductive, neuro, and i am not sure what else. So, the reason this works better: you need to learn from day one how to think in a system. For example, lets say you have a patient who comes in because they have diarrhea. What are you gonna do? Well, you will approach it systematically. How long has it been going on? Any other symptoms? What are previous conditions? Any medications? etc. You look at the whole person, with the whole complex of problems he is experiencing. You wont think "oh, wait, this is a pharm question". You know what i mean? So the beauty of this curriculum is that it helps you connect things from day 1. It teaches you how to think systematically. SO, when we learn GI, we learn everything pertaining to it: microbiology of GI tract, immune things that relate to it, genetic conditions that pertain, pharm that is GI related, etc. So by the time you finish the block you have received a very well rounded picture of all the pieces in the puzzle, if it makes any sense. It is also easier for you to approach USMLE questions, because they have the same approach, - the put everything together vs clearly splitting things in subjects. this is why i am a HUGE fan of this curriculum. It makes so much more sense. Please let me know if i am not explaining it very well, and ill try to give more details. I really do not have any dislikes at this point. I swear i would say if i did. Also, our remediation policy is great. So far i havent failed anything, but if you do - its not a big deal, you simply retake the exam. In some other schools you are not even allowed to retake exams, - you simply have to hope you do better in other exams or you'll fail the subject. Knowing that you are allowed to fail really takes a lot of pressure off. You know it wont be the end of the world, and it doesnt mean that you are a failure. It just means that maybe you were studying wrong, or maybe you were having a bad week.

3). My first day in EVMS... it is so hard to remember now... It felt so unreal. I think we were all in shock. Being there was like a dream. You work for so long on getting accepted, you know? So you are used to be in that set of mind: "i am a pre-med", but then suddenly you are an actual medical student. Hahahha. I felt weird, to be honest. But then classes start, and you really just get into the grove.

4)We do work very closely with SPs, very early on. They are incredible. They are so good at teaching us everything we need to know, - from how to talk to patients, to various exam techniques. I think we become pretty good, - by now i feel absolutely comfortable going to the clinic and taking care of the patient (within the scope of what we have already studied, - for example, we havent covered OB/GYN yet, so i can't do that). But the way it works is you study things within the block, you do the same in ultrasound at the same time, and you do the same for clinical. So, you cover all the aspects of a specific system at the same time. For example, you learn about different diarrheal causes in lectures, than you have clinical skills sessions where you learn how to diagnose it and how to interview the patient properly, then you have ultrasound sessions where they teach you to ultrasound GI tract to rule out some structural problems that could cause it. Does it make sense? So all this really gives you a very well-rounded experience.
 
How do you like Norfolk? As someone who interviewed remotely, I am a little nervous that I committed to EVMS without actually seeing the city/school/facilities.
How do you feel about the Careforward curriculum so far? Any likes/dislikes?
How did you feel on your first day at EVMS? I read that M1's have their very first SP encounter on day one, which I am super excited for!
Thanks in advance! Your responses throughout this thread have been incredibly helpful!
did i answer your questions? BTW i have absolutely no relation to admissions, and no one knows i am here. I am really volunteering my time because i want to you guys to really understand what its like to study here. In our school we have pretty close ties to upper classes, and sharing information and supporting each other is really within the culture. Than being said, i dont feel like it is forced on you. For example, i am a huge introvert, and i dont feel pressured to do anything i do not want to do, if it makes any sense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did i answer your questions? BTW i have absolutely no relation to admissions, and no one knows i am here. I am really volunteering my time because i want to you guys to really understand what its like to study here. In our school we have pretty close ties to upper classes, and sharing information and supporting each other is really within the culture. Than being said, i dont feel like it is forced on you. For example, i am a huge introvert, and i dont feel pressured to do anything i do not want to do, if it makes any sense.
Thank you so much! I feel much better about my decision, and am looking forward to visiting the city soon! Your perspective is incredibly valuable to us here. Also, your description of the curriculum was well put and makes perfect sense -- it was one aspect that was glossed over during my online interview. Glad you were able to clear that up! I can't wait to get started!
 
Thank you so much! I feel much better about my decision, and am looking forward to visiting the city soon! Your perspective is incredibly valuable to us here. Also, your description of the curriculum was well put and makes perfect sense -- it was one aspect that was glossed over during my online interview. Glad you were able to clear that up! I can't wait to get started!
Well, it is just so hard to explain the curriculum sometimes, especially if you are not a student yourself, you know? especially if you just have 30 min of the interview. This is why i hangout her a lot, taking time explaining things to you guys. I had someone help me with all this mess last year, and i feel really grateful for it. So this is just me giving back i guess.
 
Received the call today. First tier OOS. Interviewed in september. First acceptance. I started the re-application process this morning, so glad I don’t have to go through it again. I’m PTEing, not CTEing yet because i’m on other waitlists for schools closer to home that I would prefer to attend. For those on waitlists with no acceptances, movement is not over so don’t lost hope just yet. Praying for all of you ❤️
 
What’s the consensus for waitlist with EVMS? It’s almost June and we unfortunately haven’t heard of much movement. Do we think the class is full or do we expect more movement?

Based on previous threads, there seems to be two waves of acceptances. But things seem to be different this year as we approach the last week of May? Sorry for being neurotic. This is my only WL as a reapplicant 🙁
 
Received the call today. First tier OOS. Interviewed in september. First acceptance. I started the re-application process this morning, so glad I don’t have to go through it again. I’m PTEing, not CTEing yet because i’m on other waitlists for schools closer to home that I would prefer to attend. For those on waitlists with no acceptances, movement is not over so don’t lost hope just yet. Praying for all of you ❤
Congrats!!!!! Appreciate the words of encouragement and we hope to join you.:soexcited:
 
What’s the consensus for waitlist with EVMS? It’s almost June and we unfortunately haven’t heard of much movement. Do we think the class is full or do we expect more movement?

Based on previous threads, there seems to be two waves of acceptances. But things seem to be different this year as we approach the last week of May? Sorry for being neurotic. This is my only WL as a reapplicant 🙁

There has been quite a bit of waitlist movement already. There has seemed to be 1 major wave, with gradual acceptances afterwards. There is likely still more movement to come though.
 
There has been quite a bit of waitlist movement already. There has seemed to be 1 major wave, with gradual acceptances afterwards. There is likely still more movement to come though.

Yeah there has been quite a number of people accepted already. I’m hoping for another wave of acceptances. Not sure how realistic that is.

It’s probably time for me to seriously consider reapplying again 🙁
 
Finally watched the virtual town hall. Anticipating virtual classes (all didactic will be virtual, labs might be in person and likely limited size). Waitzer Hall is still expected to be open in August, despite expected virtual classes. Anatomy: fewer cadavers will be available this year. EVMS is currently working on whether it will be in person or virtual - might be possible in person with Waitzer opening. Required to wear masks anywhere on campus (students and faculty being provided with 3 masks - Cupron masks with copper in them that are reusable and washable up to 100 times). Research is slowly starting back up and many other employees will begin returning in the middle of June. Unlikely to be any shadowing opportunities. No major in person events through the end of year - IE: virtual white coat / orientation / etc... More important for those that are accepted to get on the Facebook page / groupme to start meeting people.
 
Yeah there has been quite a number of people accepted already. I’m hoping for another wave of acceptances. Not sure how realistic that is.

It’s probably time for me to seriously consider reapplying again 🙁

COVID changed some aspects, where they are unlikely to be doing a group meeting and just discussing applicants virtually. That makes me think more gradual release of acceptances versus a wave. I think they will still have plenty of movement going forward, but it also seems that many schools have had less movement so far with some schools already saying they will have little if any future movement, which could prevent the trickle down from happening. It's impossible to say what will happen this year, but there is always someone that gets a call the day before classes at a school begin.

With that said, if you are reapplying this year, I would begin filling in information and ensuring your PS and activities are well written and you can highlight how your app has improved over the last year. If you can't show significant improvements, then you might want to sit a cycle out. You can submit your app early to 1 school and hold off on adding every school right away to help save some money. Once you get verified, you can then add the other schools. The first secondaries usually come out in the middle of July, with some not being released until August, so you have time to hear back prior to spending more money.

I'm hoping you get some good news prior to reapplying!
 
COVID changed some aspects, where they are unlikely to be doing a group meeting and just discussing applicants virtually. That makes me think more gradual release of acceptances versus a wave. I think they will still have plenty of movement going forward, but it also seems that many schools have had less movement so far with some schools already saying they will have little if any future movement, which could prevent the trickle down from happening. It's impossible to say what will happen this year, but there is always someone that gets a call the day before classes at a school begin.

With that said, if you are reapplying this year, I would begin filling in information and ensuring your PS and activities are well written and you can highlight how your app has improved over the last year. If you can't show significant improvements, then you might want to sit a cycle out. You can submit your app early to 1 school and hold off on adding every school right away to help save some money. Once you get verified, you can then add the other schools. The first secondaries usually come out in the middle of July, with some not being released until August, so you have time to hear back prior to spending more money.

I'm hoping you get some good news prior to reapplying!

Covid halted all of my clinical and non clinical activities that I had planned. I was suppose to retake my MCAT back in March but that’s been rescheduled to July atm. So I might have to rethink my plans to reapply this year.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes! I’m hoping for the best!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad