2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The 13th I think? I was in a Wednesday session. I left directly from that interview to fly to one in Philadelphia so all the dates kind of run together. That was a crazy couple weeks!

I’m going to keep checking in on this thread because I want to celebrate with you WL guys when you get your As!
Not to brag 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The 13th I think? I was in a Wednesday session. I left directly from that interview to fly to one in Philadelphia so all the dates kind of run together. That was a crazy couple weeks!

I’m going to keep checking in on this thread because I want to celebrate with you WL guys when you get your As!

that is awesome! I interviewed the week after, so nope. Would have been cool though lol.


Does anyone know how the EVMS campus housing is? Or any idea where they will be living at ?

dunno if you have any pets, but they are not allowed for EVMS apartments. Heard it’s a pretty good deal if you’re without pets though!
 
For those that got the A and came off the waitlist after April 30th, I’m just wondering how many days did EVMS give you to accept or decline your offer if you could pretty please lmk. I heard the minimum as per protocol is schools need to give students coming off the waitlist after April 30th 5 days to decide but idk how long EVMS gives you, which could mean a longer or shorter turnover time for new waitlist offers
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that I am a little late, but I received an offer from the waitlist last Monday, May 4! It was an email, sent at 3:37 PM. LizzyM ~68. IS. Top 1/3. I also completed the EVMS Medical Master's Program in the 2019-2020 Year, and have been working as a research assistant at EVMS since. I will be attending, just clicked CTE this morning. Best of luck to everyone, especially IS applicants! I was on the top 1/3 waitlist last year, but only 1 IS student was accepted of the waitlist, so it looks like there is some movement this year.
 
I know that I am a little late, but I received an offer from the waitlist last Monday, May 4! It was an email, sent at 3:37 PM. LizzyM ~68. IS. Top 1/3. I also completed the EVMS Medical Master's Program in the 2019-2020 Year, and have been working as a research assistant at EVMS since. I will be attending, just clicked CTE this morning. Best of luck to everyone, especially IS applicants! I was on the top 1/3 waitlist last year, but only 1 IS student was accepted of the waitlist, so it looks like there is some movement this year.

congrats! So happy you got in, especially since you did the Med Masters. My friend who did it said that it really prepared them for M1 since it’s the same classes, except pass/np pass 🙂
 
I know that I am a little late, but I received an offer from the waitlist last Monday, May 4! It was an email, sent at 3:37 PM. LizzyM ~68. IS. Top 1/3. I also completed the EVMS Medical Master's Program in the 2019-2020 Year, and have been working as a research assistant at EVMS since. I will be attending, just clicked CTE this morning. Best of luck to everyone, especially IS applicants! I was on the top 1/3 waitlist last year, but only 1 IS student was accepted of the waitlist, so it looks like there is some movement this year.
Hi, congrats to you for getting in. Also I was just wondering, there was only one IS waitlist acceptance last year? Now I’m extremely worried
 
I emailed admissions about when we could expect more movement in the waitlist and the response was pretty straightforward: “movement has already begun, as accepted students withdraw we take more people”. So it seems the class is full as of now since there hasnt been any movement in a while. It’s kind of worrying me. Im OOS top tier interviewed in september and still haven’t been pulled off. Why have the tier system if you’re gonna accept middle tier waitlisted applicants before those on the upper tier. I’m really scared
 
I emailed admissions about when we could expect more movement in the waitlist and the response was pretty straightforward: “movement has already begun, as accepted students withdraw we take more people”. So it seems the class is full as of now since there hasnt been any movement in a while. It’s kind of worrying me. Im OOS top tier interviewed in september and still haven’t been pulled off. Why have the tier system if you’re gonna accept middle tier waitlisted applicants before those on the upper tier. I’m really scared

yeah I don’t get that either, I saw middle third applicants accepted over top tier and I’m confused on how the positioning of that works now
 
Hi, congrats to you for getting in. Also I was just wondering, there was only one IS waitlist acceptance last year? Now I’m extremely worried
This is my 3rd time applying to and being waitlisted at EVMS, and I have called or stopped into the admissions office at least 15 times throughout the years (Kerry in admissions has been super nice when I have talked to her). Last summer talking to admissions they told me that the IS waitlist was unusually slow, and that only 1 person was accepted. I have seen a handful of IS spots open up this cycle, so it is sounding like this year is more typical. Have you received any offers anywhere else? If not, I would work next year's application so you can get it submitted ASAP.

In regards to how the waitlist works, they match demographics. From my understanding, when a student forfeits their spot, they try to find someone with a similar background to the initial student: ie similar ethnicity, GPA/MCAT, Male/Female, graduate program experience, etc. Talking to admissions, they told me that they usually offer seats to about 1.5 - 2x the class size, and typically OOS waitlist moves more than the IS.
 
I emailed admissions about when we could expect more movement in the waitlist and the response was pretty straightforward: “movement has already begun, as accepted students withdraw we take more people”. So it seems the class is full as of now since there hasnt been any movement in a while. It’s kind of worrying me. Im OOS top tier interviewed in september and still haven’t been pulled off. Why have the tier system if you’re gonna accept middle tier waitlisted applicants before those on the upper tier. I’m really scared
It seems EVMS tries to maintain diversity and could be looking at other factors, like gender, ethnicity, etc... Given that they started pulling from middle-tier could be a sign the top tier is getting thin, meaning you or other top tier ppl could easily be next! Also, given that it's a semi-ranked WL, it still seems like they have to meet to some extent before pulling people off the WL. Wishful thinking but that could explain why it could be taking longer even if there are empty seats.
 
This is my 3rd time applying to and being waitlisted at EVMS, and I have called or stopped into the admissions office at least 15 times throughout the years (Kerry in admissions has been super nice when I have talked to her). Last summer talking to admissions they told me that the IS waitlist was unusually slow, and that only 1 person was accepted. I have seen a handful of IS spots open up this cycle, so it is sounding like this year is more typical. Have you received any offers anywhere else? If not, I would work next year's application so you can get it submitted ASAP.

In regards to how the waitlist works, they match demographics. From my understanding, when a student forfeits their spot, they try to find someone with a similar background to the initial student: ie similar ethnicity, GPA/MCAT, Male/Female, graduate program experience, etc. Talking to admissions, they told me that they usually offer seats to about 1.5 - 2x the class size, and typically OOS waitlist moves more than the IS.

this must be some kind of misunderstanding though... even just looking off of the SDN thread last year, more than one IS person got off the IS waitlist
 
This is my 3rd time applying to and being waitlisted at EVMS, and I have called or stopped into the admissions office at least 15 times throughout the years (Kerry in admissions has been super nice when I have talked to her). Last summer talking to admissions they told me that the IS waitlist was unusually slow, and that only 1 person was accepted. I have seen a handful of IS spots open up this cycle, so it is sounding like this year is more typical. Have you received any offers anywhere else? If not, I would work next year's application so you can get it submitted ASAP.

In regards to how the waitlist works, they match demographics. From my understanding, when a student forfeits their spot, they try to find someone with a similar background to the initial student: ie similar ethnicity, GPA/MCAT, Male/Female, graduate program experience, etc. Talking to admissions, they told me that they usually offer seats to about 1.5 - 2x the class size, and typically OOS waitlist moves more than the IS.
Yep, I do have 1 acceptance but it’s kind of far from where I love so I was hoping to see an in state school. But this process has been so weird. It’s all good tho, all we can do is hope now
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems EVMS tries to maintain diversity and could be looking at other factors, like gender, ethnicity, etc... Given that they started pulling from middle-tier could be a sign the top tier is getting thin, meaning you or other top tier ppl could easily be next! Also, given that it's a semi-ranked WL, it still seems like they have to meet to some extent before pulling people off the WL. Wishful thinking but that could explain why it could be taking longer even if there are empty seats.
Hopefully, getting into EVMS would be such a dream. But we’ll see at this point, I’m hoping though.
 
Drinking.

haha but actually, I would love to hear people's answers to this too.

saving my liver for after I get in 😛

I’ve been cooking and baking a lot. Made pizza including the dough and hamburger buns for fried chicken sandwiches these last couple days. Now going to try mojo potato’s from Shakey’s Pizza lol.

edit:made my own tapioca pearls for bubble milk tea too!
 
I know that I am a little late, but I received an offer from the waitlist last Monday, May 4! It was an email, sent at 3:37 PM. LizzyM ~68. IS. Top 1/3. I also completed the EVMS Medical Master's Program in the 2019-2020 Year, and have been working as a research assistant at EVMS since. I will be attending, just clicked CTE this morning. Best of luck to everyone, especially IS applicants! I was on the top 1/3 waitlist last year, but only 1 IS student was accepted of the waitlist, so it looks like there is some movement this year.
Do you mean MM 2018-2019? And then a "gap" year of research? My understanding was that MM offers did not come out until after graduation, which for the 2019-2020 class was just yesterday.
 
Saame I thought there’d be another wave already since those who got off the waitlist on May 4th only had 5 days to decide ☹ The wait has definitely not improved my patience skills but has for sure worsened my anxiety . Luckily though people on this thread have been very encouraging! Rooting for all of us gang!
 
Yeah I’m sure we have time still. Although not a one to one comparison, last year there were two major waves of people getting off the waitlist well past 5 days within one another (May 10th and 21). The waiting still sucks tho lol.
 
Keep up hope guys, we're in this together 🙂

I am thinking it starts at 2 weeks to accept and as we get closer to the CTE date, they will drop it down to the minimum as required by AMCAS (5 days). Hoping we see that next one this next week!

Do stuff to pass the time and not check! I will be baking more bread and making wings for dinner tonight lol.

If you're having Zoom parties, try playing Krunker. It's like CS or COD.
 
Do you mean MM 2018-2019? And then a "gap" year of research? My understanding was that MM offers did not come out until after graduation, which for the 2019-2020 class was just yesterday.
Sorry, yeah I meant the 2018-2019 year and I have been doing research in the 2019-2020 year. The years are all blurring together
 
Not sure if this is contributing to the wait time, but I know EVMS is going through A LOT of technical difficulties at the moment. I know it doesn't make the waiting any easier whatsoever, but maybe a distraction from reading into everything! They also have to restructure classes due to COVID and figure out if they are even opening in August, so I am sure that is making everyone scatter brained. HANG IN THERE PEOPLE!!! Gosh this process is torturous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man I had a dream where I got the call for acceptance, but what’s funny was that myself in the dream thought it was a dream and that caused me to be self-aware that it was a dream. It was very meta to say the least haha.
 
I have heard other schools have started announcing their plans for the fall (in regards to COVID) to their existing students. Has anyone talked to the office at EVMS about their plan?
 
I have heard other schools have started announcing their plans for the fall (in regards to COVID) to their existing students. Has anyone talked to the office at EVMS about their plan?

I saw something on my accepted student page about a virtual town hall that’s happening today at 12 PM concerning this issue. Correct me if I’m wrong (also not sure who all has access to it) but I assume there will be more answers after that
 
I saw something on my accepted student page about a virtual town hall that’s happening today at 12 PM concerning this issue. Correct me if I’m wrong (also not sure who all has access to it) but I assume there will be more answers after that
Ah perfect, thanks! I hadn't seen the announcement yet.