2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that's a little disappointing because at my interview last week we were told that the class is not full and we were not "interviewing for the waitlist." Oh well, I really enjoyed the interview day so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for the spring!

Based on the limited sample size from this thread, no one has got an outright acceptance since December.
 
Interviewed yesterday at EVMS!

They meet Mondays and Wednesdays every other week to announce decisions. They met this week already. I hope to hear back on March 16th week.

Everybody who interviews in Jan, Feb, and March gets put on the waitlist/rejected, according to admissions. 2/3 rd of the class comes from waitlist. Waitlist movement happens after April 30, tho a small movement can happen prior.

Great school with everything, but OOS cost of attendance is extremely high. 121/150 students get scholarship, tho it can even be around $300. One IS student gets a full scholarship every year.

For those still waiting to interview, good luck. You will do great!!
Okay so basically if you have other acceptances, you won't be able to come here lol.... the deadline to commit to most other schools is April 30th. So if you don't get off waitlist before then, you have to commit somewhere else just in case. Yeah.. I'm just going to forget about this school and go somewhere else. I'm not risking my other seats just to wait and "maybe" get off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone!
 
Based on the limited sample size from this thread, no one has got an outright acceptance since December.

Basically, anyone (on SDN) who interviewed since mid-November has not been outright accepted at EVMS. I should have rushed and scheduled my interview for the week earlier lol. Doubt it'd make a difference though. Felt like I interviewed well and connected well with the adcom member.

Okay so basically if you have other acceptances, you won't be able to come here lol.... the deadline to commit to most other schools is April 30th. So if you don't get off waitlist before then, you have to commit somewhere else just in case. Yeah.. I'm just going to forget about this school and go somewhere else. I'm not risking my other seats just to wait and "maybe" get off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone!

Must be nice to have options 🙂 As someone hoping EVMS accepts me, I NEED IT and WANT IT! Please EVMS, give ya boy some love.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so basically if you have other acceptances, you won't be able to come here lol.... the deadline to commit to most other schools is April 30th. So if you don't get off waitlist before then, you have to commit somewhere else just in case. Yeah.. I'm just going to forget about this school and go somewhere else. I'm not risking my other seats just to wait and "maybe" get off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone!
You don't have to commit to any school until starting Mid-June (depends on school)! April 30th is the day you have to limit yourself to one acceptance (and "plan to enroll" for that school). So if you have three acceptances, then pick the one (to "plan to enroll") and withdraw from the other two. If you are on waitlist at other schools, you can stay on unlimited waitlists even after After 30th. So if you hear back from EVMS on May 15th and you want to go there, withdraw from the one you were interested and select "Plan to enroll" for EVMS.
 
You don't have to commit to any school until starting Mid-June (depends on school)! April 30th is the day you have to limit yourself to one acceptance (and "plan to enroll" for that school). So if you have three acceptances, then pick the one (to "plan to enroll") and withdraw from the other two. If you are on waitlist at other schools, you can stay on unlimited waitlists even after After 30th. So if you hear back from EVMS on May 15th and you want to go there, withdraw from the one you were interested and select "Plan to enroll" for EVMS.
I am aware of the AAMC general policies. However, it states multiple times on the website as well as within the "CYMS" tool that you do have to follow school-specific rules. So yes there are the general AAMC traffic rules. However, each school has unique policies. Two of the schools I have been accepted to told me that I am required to "Commit" to them by April 30th, meaning I need to select them as my "commit to enroll" school on AAMC. Therefore, I will be doing that.
 
Interviewed yesterday at EVMS!

They meet Mondays and Wednesdays every other week to announce decisions. They met this week already. I hope to hear back on March 16th week.

Everybody who interviews in Jan, Feb, and March gets put on the waitlist/rejected, according to admissions. 2/3 rd of the class comes from waitlist. Waitlist movement happens after April 30, tho a small movement can happen prior.

Great school with everything, but OOS cost of attendance is extremely high. 121/150 students get scholarship, tho it can even be around $300. One IS student gets a full scholarship every year.

For those still waiting to interview, good luck. You will do great!!

Thanks for this! Reassuring to hear as a February applicant.
 
Is EVMS done interviewing at the end of March or do they continue into April at all?
 
Anyone interviewing this Friday want to chill the day before or after? I will be there from Thursday night to Saturday evening.
 
Is there a Facebook page active yet?

I would love to know this too tbh. As far as I’ve seen there hasn’t been one posted about here and I don’t see one when I search on FB, but I thought they usually made an official one by now
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if it is easy to establish residency after the first year?
 
Or are a veteran yourself.

Really? They never mentioned that part. Do you have to be currently serving and are there time requirements? I did 4 years but got out ~15 years ago. If I get off the waitlist, I'll have to talk with financial aid.

Edit: Acceptance email stated I am considered in-state.
 
Last edited:
Waitlisted, middle third OOS female. Really hoping to get in, its my top choice at this point. I am wondering tho maybe you fellow SDNers can help! Their website Interview Day FAQs - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads says that they offer 300 acceptances to fill 151 seats. Is that straight up acceptances after interviews or is that including offers to those on the waitlist? Because if it doesnt include the waitlist offers, they offer 300 acceptances to fill the 151 which means people on the waitlist would have to wait until 149 people decline their offer before EVMS even starts looking to pull from the waitlist and then theres about 300-500 people on the waitlist!?! Someone please chime in and add their 2 cents and hopefully calm my anxiety lol
 
Waitlisted, middle third OOS female. Really hoping to get in, its my top choice at this point. I am wondering tho maybe you fellow SDNers can help! Their website Interview Day FAQs - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads says that they offer 300 acceptances to fill 151 seats. Is that straight up acceptances after interviews or is that including offers to those on the waitlist? Because if it doesnt include the waitlist offers, they offer 300 acceptances to fill the 151 which means people on the waitlist would have to wait until 149 people decline their offer before EVMS even starts looking to pull from the waitlist and then theres about 300-500 people on the waitlist!?! Someone please chime in and add their 2 cents and hopefully calm my anxiety lol
When did you interview? From what I’ve read on here, they try to match stats of the ppl that drop therefore there should be more movement for people that are oos since IS are more likely to matriculate. They do pull a decent amount from the middle third!
 
When did you interview? From what I’ve read on here, they try to match stats of the ppl that drop therefore there should be more movement for people that are oos since IS are more likely to matriculate. They do pull a decent amount from the middle third!

I interviewed back in the middle of feb!
 
Waitlisted, middle third OOS female. Really hoping to get in, its my top choice at this point. I am wondering tho maybe you fellow SDNers can help! Their website Interview Day FAQs - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads says that they offer 300 acceptances to fill 151 seats. Is that straight up acceptances after interviews or is that including offers to those on the waitlist? Because if it doesnt include the waitlist offers, they offer 300 acceptances to fill the 151 which means people on the waitlist would have to wait until 149 people decline their offer before EVMS even starts looking to pull from the waitlist and then theres about 300-500 people on the waitlist!?! Someone please chime in and add their 2 cents and hopefully calm my anxiety lol

Pretty sure they mean 300 total acceptances, acceptances off the waitlist included. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pretty sure they mean 300 total acceptances, acceptances off the waitlist included. 🙂
iirc med schools on average give out 1.5-2x more acceptances than the number of seats to try to guarantee that all of their seats are filled but this does /not/ include WL offers..
 
They were supposed to meet every two weeks on Mondays and Wednesdays. They met on March 2nd and 4th, so they were supposed to meet on 3/16 and 3/18. Looks like they met before the scheduled day.
 
Really? They never mentioned that part. Do you have to be currently serving and are there time requirements? I did 4 years but got out ~15 years ago. If I get off the waitlist, I'll have to talk with financial aid.

Edit: Acceptance email stated I am considered in-state.
Hey! The instate tuition for vets only applies if you are within 3 years of your ETS or using the GI bill.
 
How do you guys believe the current pandemic situation will affect waitlist movement?

I don’t think you’ll get any real answers to this. We all only have a vague idea of how the waitlist works in the best of times, so in a situation like this, the best we can do is wildly guess. It also depends on how things go— right now their admissions department may still be working mostly as usual but who’s to say how things will be in a few weeks
 
We just had the online information session today - they said that the committee will be meeting remotely and that we should have decisions back from our interviews this week within 4 weeks. They also said they are currently finding the best way to send application material to the adcoms at home.

They also said they are very receptive to phone calls! Edit: (while the offices are still open)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you guys believe the current pandemic situation will affect waitlist movement?

It would suck if the pandemic slows down waistlist movement because some schools start in July but if I remember correctly EVMS starts in August which is the case for me. I’d have to commit to a school and lose out on the possibility of getting off the waitlist from July-August. But I guess that’s a win for people who schools don’t start in July or don’t have an acceptance yet as people like me would be withdrawing their waitlist spots.
 
Does anyone know when their offices are open ? when I call I am sent to general VM . Thanks!
 
Does anyone know when their offices are open ? when I call I am sent to general VM . Thanks!

They sent an email saying most people were working from home. Therefore, they probably can't answer that number and would call back any voicemails. They did recommend people email them.