2019-2020 Harvard

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we better off waiting till decision to send in updates? From what I understand our applications are already in 1 of 3 piles. Correct me if I'm wrong

I would say the highest yield updates come from those waitlisted who are trying to turn that W into an A. At this point, you can send an update, and it wouldn't hurt you. It just might not be effective.
 
Are we better off waiting till decision to send in updates? From what I understand our applications are already in 1 of 3 piles. Correct me if I'm wrong
Oh, so sending in an update right now wouldn't count for much even though they claim to only begin evaluating once everyone interviews? So if i'm in the "waitlist" pile this won't do anything and would be better off sending everything once I get a decision?
 
Oh, so sending in an update right now wouldn't count for much even though they claim to only begin evaluating once everyone interviews? So if i'm in the "waitlist" pile this won't do anything and would be better off sending everything once I get a decision?
Just my hunch, but I think they probably have a good sense of where you are in the A/WL/R category after you interview, and they spend the month deliberating on more marginal cases and on crafting a full class, but I could also be wrong about this.

It just seems unlikely to me that everyone is a tabula rasa until February when they consider everything
 
Lots of uncertain words here lol...
couldn’t, would, may.

where is the “three pile” decision post interview-information coming from exactly? Inquiring minds want to know
For me, it just came from intuition. What else would they do? Not think about you for 3 months? Seems highly unlikely. At some point they have to stratify, and I bet there are some criteria they use early on to make the February deliberations easier.
 
Question for harvard/ other schools where I've interviewed but haven't received acceptances- should I go ahead and fill out fin aid forms? or do people typically wait until after they've received a decision? I know we can do FAFSA/ CSS now, but was wondering about institution-specific forms, tax returns etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for harvard/ other schools where I've interviewed but haven't received acceptances- should I go ahead and fill out fin aid forms? or do people typically wait until after they've received a decision? I know we can do FAFSA/ CSS now, but was wondering about institution-specific forms, tax returns etc.

The HMS specific form isn't available until you are actually accepted. Therefore, it makes little sense to pay the CSS fee until that actually happens.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol can you share that info with me as well?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using SDN mobile
You are appreciated LOL

Thank you for the appreciation. I appreciate it 🙂

The answer I gave it all I can give. As you all know, you will all receive your admissions decision on the same day, regardless of what it is. There is no speeding up that process.
 
Yes, we will get our R's in i believe march
1580397749877.gif
 
I read online that Harvard rarely gives waitlists, at least compared to other schools? Is this true? and if not, does anyone know how active their waitlist movement tends to be?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! Current 1st year at HMS, let me know if you have any questions about HMS and since acceptance emails are likely to go out in a few weeks, preemptively, feel free to ask questions about revisit!

what are the dates for revisit? :~) a PREEMPTIVE q
 
Hi all! Current 1st year at HMS, let me know if you have any questions about HMS and since acceptance emails are likely to go out in a few weeks, preemptively, feel free to ask questions about revisit!
Hi! Thank you for reaching out. Can I ask how you felt after your interview at HMS? Did you feel it went well and you had a good feeling about getting accepted?
 
I am taking a reallllly big leap of faith for Harvard. Received my degree a few years ago, but my AP credit for one class doesn't meet one of HMS requirements so I am taking a class at a community college that started today on top of working full time. The last day to withdraw without receiving is W is the last week of Feb, before Harvard releases decisions. Only doing this because I thought my interview went pretty great. Pray for me.
 
I am taking a reallllly big leap of faith for Harvard. Received my degree a few years ago, but my AP credit for one class doesn't meet one of HMS requirements so I am taking a class at a community college that started today on top of working full time. The last day to withdraw without receiving is W is the last week of Feb, before Harvard releases decisions. Only doing this because I thought my interview went pretty great. Pray for me.

Did they inform you that you were lacking a necessary requirement?