2019-2020 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys I'm wondering about Harvard's non-rolling admissions policy and how that works ... How can it be non-rolling when they are sending interviews before the application deadline? Doesn't that automatically make it a rolling policy i.e., the earlier I submit, the better my chances to get an interview invite?
I'm wondering because I submitted early October, and now I'm wondering if theres no chance for me...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I'm wondering about Harvard's non-rolling admissions policy and how that works ... How can it be non-rolling when they are sending interviews before the application deadline? Doesn't that automatically make it a rolling policy i.e., the earlier I submit, the better my chances to get an interview invite?
I'm wondering because I submitted early October, and now I'm wondering if theres no chance for me...

I think non rolling always refers to decisions after interview, not whether or not you get an interview. Almost every school has interviews sent out by September but the deadlines for the application are usually after that for each school

Reactions: 1 user
I think non rolling always refers to decisions after interview, not whether or not you get an interview. Almost every school has interviews sent out by September but the deadlines for the application are usually after that for each school

Yep. All decisions go out on one day in March, as opposed to other schools where decisions might go out every week. Therefore, no matter when you interview, all applications are considered together at the end with the same # of spots left open.

Members don't see this ad :)

Okay so that's why I thought..... but when I emailed the Admissions Office, they said

1575514233828.png

So I'm confused as to what to make of this ...

Okay so that's why I thought..... but when I emailed the Admissions Office, they said

View attachment 288335

So I'm confused as to what to make of this ...
Just relax. A Harvard ii will either come or not. Of all the schools I follow, Harvard seems to follow no chronological order for completion dates. No way you can change anything now.

Reactions: 5 users
From the website

Attachments

• D9D70FA3-1B10-44EC-8CAD-7AF2F4D21425.jpeg
    D9D70FA3-1B10-44EC-8CAD-7AF2F4D21425.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 248
II pathways today, literally starting shaking at work. Complete 10/22.

Reactions: 10 users
Just got my Harvard II for the MSTP Program Pathways and HST!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
pathways II this morning, absolutely shook. july complete date, so there’s hope y’all!

Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II for HST (secondary completed 7/22) - simultaneous rejection for MSTP

Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone know how late they conduct interviews until? I was given mid January dates but I’m wondering if I can push it back. Is this possible and would interviewing later hurt my chances?

Does anyone know how late they conduct interviews until? I was given mid January dates but I’m wondering if I can push it back. Is this possible and would interviewing later hurt my chances?

Damn so I’m near the end. Probably shouldn’t push it back then you think?

Last MSTP interview date may be January - only one date then iirc. Last MD interviews seem to be the third week of January (though not certain on this, they do have multiple dates in January).

When I called them today, they said they were giving out interview invites until end of January.... so maybe they're extending into Feb? Idk

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
When I called them today, they said they were giving out interview invites until end of January.... so maybe they're extending into Feb? Idk
Not to be a negative nancy but schools usually say this as a "just in case, so you don't accuse us of lying" response, them saying they are done sending out interview invites will be equivalent of them sending out a rejection to a lot of people. They don't plan to send out rejections yet, thus they will never tell you interviews are done being sent out, even if that is the case. Schools that interview until Jan will say their last invites will go out in Jan, Feb will say Feb, March will say March, and so on. Sure, they can give out interview invitations until January, but that can be due to that one applicant who canceled because he/she got a full-ride to UCSF or Hopkins or the one who had to cancel because of personal reasons.

I mean that in a respectful way. Thanks for calling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Just some more information for everyone. Spoke to admissions today and they said they will be done with interviews in mid-january ideally, but maybe late-january if weather is bad and they must reschedule.

edit: not sending interviews but conducting them.

Reactions: 4 users
Just some more information for everyone. Spoke to admissions today and they said they will be done with interviews in mid-january ideally, but maybe late-january if weather is bad and they must reschedule.

edit: not sending interviews but conducting them.
d00.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Do we know what days of the week harvard interviews for pathways md? And what dates were listed for January?

not sure about january dates but they interview Monday, Thursday, Friday and the occasional Saturday according to when the pre-interview dinners are. HST interviews are on Tuesday’s and only go until 1/14.

• Love
not sure about january dates but they interview Monday, Thursday, Friday and the occasional Saturday according to when the pre-interview dinners are. HST interviews are on Tuesday’s and only go until 1/14.

Pathways also interviews on Tuesdays (so Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and the occasional Saturday)

It's likely the dates are dwindling. I think one date would be a stretch but there will be few options left.

I recently got invited for pathways and HST. For both of them they just assigned me an interview date, so I think that those might be the last ones.

I recently received II at pathways and HST. I want to send them an update with some awards/other stuff that I've been up to, and also tell them they are my first choice. Since my interviews are relatively late (in January), should I send the update now, or should I send it after I interview? People say to always send updates post interview, but I'm already interviewing really late into the cycle and I'm worried that they won't get the update in time. Would I send separate letters to pathways/HST? Also, would I only be able to tell only one program (pathways or HST) that they're my first choice?

I recently received II at pathways and HST. I want to send them an update with some awards/other stuff that I've been up to, and also tell them they are my first choice. Since my interviews are relatively late (in January), should I send the update now, or should I send it after I interview? People say to always send updates post interview, but I'm already interviewing really late into the cycle and I'm worried that they won't get the update in time. Would I send separate letters to pathways/HST? Also, would I only be able to tell only one program (pathways or HST) that they're my first choice?
Who says to always update post interview? That sound false.

Who says to always update post interview? That sound false.
Oh i thought the general advice was to send in updates post interview since then it would be more impactful. Do you think I should just send in the update now? I thought that by sending it in after my interview I could also include a letter of interest/intent in the letter. But by sending it in pre-interview it would just be a plain old update letter.

It does not hurt to interview late because they decide in Feb you have nothing to worry about. When I interviewed, I met a couple of students who interviewed on the last day last cycle and got in!

You could prepare an update and send it with your thank you note? Either way, I believe your letter of intent should only go to one program, as if you were offered a seat at both programs one would be your first choice. That being said, I always advocate for LOIs being sent during the waitlist period if you happen to be waitlisted, as that might be more impactful than now when many people send something like that to Harvard.

Reactions: 1 users
are there any current med school students that I can PM?

Is Harvard done sending ii’s this yr?

• Sad
All of the Harvard administrative offices are closed until Jan 2 (University-wide).

• Sad
All of the Harvard administrative offices are closed until Jan 2 (University-wide).

Technically we are open Monday the 23rd. University has a half day the 24th, but Dean Daley gave the medical school the 24th off. Unless I'm mistaken, I would not expect anymore IIs to be released in december.

• Sad
Technically we are open Monday the 23rd. University has a half day the 24th, but Dean Daley gave the medical school the 24th off. Unless I'm mistaken, I would not expect anymore IIs to be released in december.

Yeah sorry, I completely forgot the first date of the break, so thank you. I work in an FAS office so I was going off of the dates that we (and other offices in the building) have listed for the recess, but only focused on the reopen date for some reason

So it the case that all regular IIs have been given out and anything given in January will be due to a cancellation? (pls don't respond if ur a speculating applicant like me bc the neuroticism does NOT need more nutrients)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So it the case that all regular IIs have been given out and anything given in January will be due to a cancellation? (pls don't respond if ur a speculating applicant like me bc the neuroticism does NOT need more nutrients)

No one can tell you that for sure, as the admissions office doesn't release that information. That being said, with two weeks of interviews left and admissions offices giving applicants at least two weeks to make travel arrangements, you can do the math.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
No one can tell you that for sure, as the admissions office doesn't release that information. That being said, with two weeks of interviews left and admissions offices giving applicants at least two weeks to make travel arrangements, you can do the math.

Bless my L! Thank you chaim123! Happy Holidays to all!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
For the requirements worksheet do you think we should list ALL the classes we have taken in each category, or just enough to fulfill the requirement? (i.e. 2 biology semester classes or 3+ if you taken that many)

I only listed enough to fulfill the requirement

Reactions: 4 users