2019-2020 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A good page to look at from KUMC is Loan Information

That page has the school's FAFSA code, which you will need when filling out the form. Other than that, it is not any different than what you did as an undergrad. Go to Federal Student Aid to begin

So helpful thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

To the current students, does KU do an internal ranking system? Or is it truly completely P/F (besides graduating with honors)?

To the current students, does KU do an internal ranking system? Or is it truly completely P/F (besides graduating with honors)?
It's evolving. Our class was straight ranked. Newer classes are poised to be ranked only during clinical year (3rd) by shelf and evaluations.

Younger students can speak better to this but my understanding is it is constantly being discussed especially given the Step 1 changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's evolving. Our class was straight ranked. Newer classes are poised to be ranked only during clinical year (3rd) by shelf and evaluations.

Younger students can speak better to this but my understanding is it is constantly being discussed especially given the Step 1 changes.
Thank you for the information :)

For admitted students campus assignments have been posted!

Reactions: 1 users
My class will receive ranking based on year 3 grades. We will not know our standing vs anyone else until then but we do get grades on tests and are told how we did vs class average if this is any part of what you're wondering. We are also given some info in response to clinical skills tests on how we did vs rest of class but all didactic and clinical skills exams are pass/fail. Honors requirements for 2023 class are currently research project + present project + top quartile in year 3 + top quartile on step 1 + no remediation years 1 and 2 on anything (skills tests included) + no professionalism issues (duh to me but I guess it has to be included lol).

Honors for 2024 is being re-discussed AFAIK from what I heard at dean's forums with assumption step 1 goes P/F on time. Not sure if they're considering changes to how class rank is determined.

how has the covid situation played out for current M1s

how has the covid situation played out for current M1s
Our entire GI/renal block is being administered online with recordings from last year or if something is new, recordings from offices essentially. (Tests are also being administered at home via our normal testing software). Clinical skills are being pushed to first block of M2 so we get to double up abdominal exam and sim labs with MSK stuff. Our required attendance items (CBCL and PBL small group stuff; coaching meetings) are still occurring virtually with our CBCL/PBL leaders via BB collaborate/zoom, our OSCE (basically end of year clinical skills test) is being done over the phone and our CBSE (end of year knowledge test to see where you're at) is canceled.

SER week (scholarship enrichment and research) for the end of this block is canceled due to likely inability to place anyone who had a clinical experience on the books and being replaced with something else but that hasn't been finalized yet. So far summer electives are still a go but that is subject to change (probably especially for folks who want to do STORM etc, I am personally doing research and likely wont be affected by any changes except that maybe meetings with mentors etc will be virtual if necessary).

Its been interesting and definitely uh, less motivation on my part because I like to study on campus. But otherwise, the only big impacts on us have been not seeing each other in person, not much in the way of enrichment activities through ASA, no clinical skills labs/sim labs/standardized patient encounters. Not sure how doing OSCE over phone is gonna be. I have a feeling it might feel a bit awkward cause they want us to describe what we'd do and the patient will tell us the results of our "exam" but hey, new territory for everyone.

My small group personally set up a slack server to collaborate/share in since we ask each other questions a lot and share a lot of resources/usually study together off and on, so that's been helpful too. The good thing imo, admin has been very communicative about changes or updates and there's a weekly dean's meeting on zoom we can attend. MSA also has an open google question form we can submit questions to that they'll ask for us, so we aren't usually in the dark about what's going on/what the plan is for long.

How are all of the waitlist people doing? I think we have about another month of left before the waitlist is activated. Keeping my fingers crossed for us!

How are all of the waitlist people doing? I think we have about another month of left before the waitlist is activated. Keeping my fingers crossed for us!
Trying not to think about it much... on the plus side, I personally know 2 people who have been accepted to KU but are going elsewhere, so the list is already down a few!

Trying not to think about it much... on the plus side, I personally know 2 people who have been accepted to KU but are going elsewhere, so the list is already down a few!
Do you know if they got campus assignments or did they withdraw their acceptance beforehand?

Holding on with hope! I think heard last year they started the list on May 1st. Who knows about this year with COVID-19 though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also trying not to think about it too much, but part of me is always wondering what # they will get to this year. It gives me hope to hear that people who are accepted are going elsewhere!

Has anyone gotten an email about scholarships or fianancial aid, yet? I know they were supposed to be sent out by April 15th, but I haven’t received any emails yet.

I received an email yesterday regarding decision about the Kansas Medical Student Loan program. I would imagine all other scholarship information will be sent out soon.

Has anyone gotten an email about scholarships or fianancial aid, yet? I know they were supposed to be sent out by April 15th, but I haven’t received any emails yet.
I got my FAFSA/loan info but nothing about scholarships

Check your KUMC email today, I think they were sent out super late last night/early this morning

My friend who was waitlisted top 5 was accepted today! So waitlist people should be hearing soon!

My friend who was waitlisted top 5 was accepted today! So waitlist people should be hearing soon!

That's incredible news!! I hope the portal gets activated soon so we can see what # they are on!

Just got the call! So they should be on #6-7

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Looks like they are on number 8 now according to the portal

Congratulations!! I wonder what this earlier than expected waitlist movement means!

I've been thinking about the same! Was kind of hoping it meant they need to start filling spots because they still have a decent amount to fill, but that's just what eases the mind ha!

I've been thinking about the same! Was kind of hoping it meant they need to start filling spots because they still have a decent amount to fill, but that's just what eases the mind ha!

I'm hoping as well! I'm up in the 30's so the early activation of the wait list has me excited! I've heard that international students aren't able to come to the US for school because of COVID-19. Maybe that is the reason it's started so soon?

What do people think about the likelihood we will be able to begin M1 in person? I heard some schools announced M1 will begin online for them.

What do people think about the likelihood we will be able to begin M1 in person? I heard some schools announced M1 will begin online for them.
Haven't heard anything definitively as of yet, but deans have been speaking in weekly deans forums about efforts to start M3 on schedule/slight delay (if they have to test late) for their rotations (step 1/prometric having been shut down has kinda messed things up for them :( ) and as far as we know right now, M2 is all systems go for starting in person as well. With KS looking to slowly start opening up in May, Seems likely that we will be able to go back soon, especially those of us still in didactic, just not sure what it might look like (further spread out, masks in standardized patient encounters for you and the patient, who knows?).

Sedgwick does not have extended stay at home, and KS side of KC is under the governor's order (May 3); if KS aligns with KCMO they could go til May 15th unless KCMO changes their date. Unless something changes with our covid case load I have a feeling we'll be back on campus in July.

Haven't heard anything definitively as of yet, but deans have been speaking in weekly deans forums about efforts to start M3 on schedule/slight delay (if they have to test late) for their rotations (step 1/prometric having been shut down has kinda messed things up for them :( ) and as far as we know right now, M2 is all systems go for starting in person as well. With KS looking to slowly start opening up in May, Seems likely that we will be able to go back soon, especially those of us still in didactic, just not sure what it might look like (further spread out, masks in standardized patient encounters for you and the patient, who knows?).

Sedgwick does not have extended stay at home, and KS side of KC is under the governor's order (May 3); if KS aligns with KCMO they could go til May 15th unless KCMO changes their date. Unless something changes with our covid case load I have a feeling we'll be back on campus in July.

That is great to hear!! Thank you so much for the insight! My brother is an M3 and is headed back for rotations next week, tbd on his step 2 CS since it's this summer :( . Fingers crossed we've gotten over the worst of it but I'm sure if we return in July we'll likely continue with precautions just like you mentioned, better than nothing tho!!

I wonder when we are supposed to hear from KU about immunizations, orientation week details, etc

Feel like it's been stuck on that spot 9 for the waitlist for a little bit. I hope some more spots will start opening up soon!!

Feel like it's been stuck on that spot 9 for the waitlist for a little bit. I hope some more spots will start opening up soon!!

Hopefully, the April 30th deadline will help speed things up!

That is great to hear!! Thank you so much for the insight! My brother is an M3 and is headed back for rotations next week, tbd on his step 2 CS since it's this summer :( . Fingers crossed we've gotten over the worst of it but I'm sure if we return in July we'll likely continue with precautions just like you mentioned, better than nothing tho!!
No prob, I know tons of people are anxious about everything (all of us included - lol). I'm hoping KC, Wichita and Salina are stable-ish; the outbreaks in western KS related to the meat packing plants seem to be the biggest issues right now in our state.

Yikes, hope your brother is able to take step 2 CS still! Fingers crossed for him. It seems up to half of all medical students will be impacted by this so he is by far not alone.

As far as communication re: immunizations and orientation, I think that happened in May ish last year. You have plenty of time on immunizations, though. Many of my classmates had to redo some shot series because they didn't have high enough titers and it was no biggie. I know you're anxious to get going though - try to relax for now and congrats to all accepted so far!! <3

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my other acceptances/waitlists and will be joining all of you in the KUMC Class of 2024! I'm so excited!

Is there anyone on here planning to attend the per-matriculation program? I am planning to attend and would love to touch base with some other classmates!

Is there anyone on here planning to attend the per-matriculation program? I am planning to attend and would love to touch base with some other classmates!
I am attending the prematric program as well! Here’s to hoping it’s not entirely online!

Anyone else hoping for a big shift in WL movement today?

Yes absolutely! Although I'm wondering if that will be tomorrow/over the next week. I'm sure the admission committee will have to look through all of the AMCAS data that's being made available to them?

Was hoping big time! I was also wondering if it'd be too much to reach out after today and see if they anticipate offering more spots/where they think they can get to? Also, when they sent us our spot number it was also with the form to send it to secure our spot on the waitlist, so I was also wondering if everyone in front of me confirmed their spot, etc...

Was hoping big time! I was also wondering if it'd be too much to reach out after today and see if they anticipate offering more spots/where they think they can get to? Also, when they sent us our spot number it was also with the form to send it to secure our spot on the waitlist, so I was also wondering if everyone in front of me confirmed their spot, etc...
If you do reach out, please let us know!! It would be helpful to anticipate a little in terms of prepping for a re-application cycle.

If you do reach out, please let us know!! It would be helpful to anticipate a little in terms of prepping for a re-application cycle.

Sounds good. It's just eating at me why they activated the waitlist earlier than we were originally told to anticipate haha

#14 here! Just got the call! I didn't answer the first time because Blair is using *67 and it showed restricted on my caller ID, so just a heads up!

Reactions: 3 users
#14 here! Just got the call! I didn't answer the first time because Blair is using *67 and it showed restricted on my caller ID, so just a heads up!
Congratulations on getting in!! Did they give you a certain amount of time to reply or anything? I’m worried I’ll miss the call or something. I have bad cell service where I work haha.