2019-2020 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah but that’s from the entire pool. The final block still hasn’t gotten our post interview email lol. I’m expecting it today otherwise a “wait until March” email in March would just be funny
Ohh I see. I would think you guys will just get the decision email, but I have no idea haha

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! This is literally a dream come true

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, looks like #14 got in on May 16 last year.

Waitlist! Do they post anywhere how far the waitlist has gotten each year for the past few years? The email just says 5-51 over the last 5 years.

Waitlist! Do they post anywhere how far the waitlist has gotten each year for the past few years? The email just says 5-51 over the last 5 years.

I would love to know! Also I'm wondering if they only took up to #14 last year or they took more but those students didn't post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist 20-25. Not thinking my chances are great :/, but you never know, I guess.

Waitlist 20-25. Not thinking my chances are great :/, but you never know, I guess.
First, go chiefs baby. Second, since they accepted less students in the initial wave and put more on the waitlist, I’m guessing they’re going to pull more off the waitlist than previously. Don’t lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
First, go chiefs baby. Second, since they accepted less students in the initial wave and put more on the waitlist, I’m guessing they’re going to pull more off the waitlist than previously. Don’t lose hope!
I sure hope so! I’m in the 30-40 group...
IIRC in the past they would send out 230 initial acceptances for 211 spots. Does this years email mean they only gave out 211 acceptances for 211 spots? That would make our wait list numbers a little bit better!

I also think the 5 waitlist year was ~5 years ago and the 51 was 1-2 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I sure hope so! I’m in the 30-40 group...
IIRC in the past they would send out 230 initial acceptances for 211 spots. Does this years email mean they only gave out 211 acceptances for 211 spots? That would make our wait list numbers a little bit better!

I also think the 5 waitlist year was ~5 years ago and the 51 was 1-2 years ago.
That is exactly how I understood the email!

Waitlisted 10-15, but interviewed through the MD/PhD program. Does anyone know how the waitlist works for MD/PhD applicants?

Waitlisted 10-15, but interviewed through the MD/PhD program. Does anyone know how the waitlist works for MD/PhD applicants?
Did you apply to be considered for MD only if not picked for MD/PhD?

Did you apply to be considered for MD only if not picked for MD/PhD?
I did! I am under the impression that I was not picked for the MD/PhD program, but I have not yet heard from the MD/PhD program directly.

How bout those..Chiefssss! I really hope that is the case, I'll keep the good vibes and anxiety going!

Accepted from 11/19 interview block. IS. Non-traditional. 9 years EMS, 6 years paramedic. Strong interest in rural medicine. LM ~69. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations.. would you mind sharing what LM means and significance of that number. Thanks.

I believe LM refers to the Lizzy M score, which gives a statistical likelihood of earning at least one med school acceptance based on your MCAT and GPA. You can calculate it here:

Last edited:
The LizzyM score has always been bunk, and, like everything else considered a metric for med school awesomeness, means nothing.

Are there any current medical students that could talk about housing on the Kansas side for instate students? Also is the attire for classes business casual?

Has anyone heard much about Step1 being pass/fail and how that might change residency applications? I'm worried about residencies being more difficult to obtain because of it.

Are there any current medical students that could talk about housing on the Kansas side for instate students? Also is the attire for classes business casual?
There's quite a few apartments walking distance on the Kansas side and some a little further, but you would have to get a parking pass for. Rent is variable based on which apartment complexes you're looking at (Vista being more expensive, some others being less). Classes aren't business casual everyday, but occasionally we have panels or lectures where it's mandatory and business casual.

No. Unless stated ahead of time that you need professional attire you can dress however you want. I'd dress well though, don't go in looking scraggly.
Has anyone heard much about Step1 being pass/fail and how that might change residency applications? I'm worried about residencies being more difficult to obtain because of it.
Nobody knows right now. Everyone is throwing out guesses based on fears, and I understand your worries.

The short answer is that is a long way away for you. As someone who has been to many interviews I can tell you the number of times my Step 1 score came up totaled zero. Unless you're going for Derm or Ortho, and even then, nobody cares once you're in the interview.

I would spend time focusing on other aspects of your time here and getting the most out of it.

last year they accepted 20-25 people off the waitlist (I don't remember the final count).

Does anyone know when they send out the placement emails? So people know if they are in KC or Wichita?

Turned down my MD acceptance today, so I assume there will be another place open on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
With current situation regarding COVID -19, will there be any change on the admission process, timeline, wait list cancellation etc....Anyone knows?

Nobody knows, it's an evolving process here.

Is the pre-matriculation program worth applying to if you’re not a minority or from a disadvantaged background?

Unrelated Q to previous ones but has anyone completed FAFSA/know how to go about this? I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Unrelated Q to previous ones but has anyone completed FAFSA/know how to go about this? I'm unfamiliar with the process.
A good page to look at from KUMC is Loan Information

That page has the school's FAFSA code, which you will need when filling out the form. Other than that, it is not any different than what you did as an undergrad. Go to Federal Student Aid to begin