2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for people who have been accepted, do you mind sharing your stats?
I am an OoS with a 3.77 GPA and 511 MCAT, interviewed mid-February. I initially applied MD but thankfully decided to apply DO in late November, which saved me since I didn't get into any MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the interviews now are for the wait list or if there are still open seats in the class? :)

Waitlisted today as well. I have heard at this point in time there aren't many spots available, but CCOM has a healthy waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was first week of June. I had a doctor send in an extra letter of recommendation while I was waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I’m a little late to ask, did the doctor send the LoR via email directly to MWU or upload it to AACOMAS?

I’m a little late to ask, did the doctor send the LoR via email directly to MWU or upload it to AACOMAS?
He sent it directly to the admissions committee email.

Any idea of how many seats are left at this point? Or chances of coming off the waitlist? Are waitlist acceptances postponed because of COVID? I have an acceptance to an SMP that I need to start planning to move for but I've gotten radio silence from CCOM since hearing I was placed on the waitlist :( I interviewed in before all this COVID stuff started and sent a LOR and LOI right after being waitlisted.

Should I just move forward with my SMP? Helppp

Any idea of how many seats are left at this point? Or chances of coming off the waitlist? Are waitlist acceptances postponed because of COVID? I have an acceptance to an SMP that I need to start planning to move for but I've gotten radio silence from CCOM since hearing I was placed on the waitlist :( I interviewed in before all this COVID stuff started and sent a LOR and LOI right after being waitlisted.

During my March interview, one of the admins made a comment that the class is much closer to being full than otherwise. The admin did not make additional comments on specific numbers or how much wait list movement there is.

During my March interview, one of the admins made a comment that the class is much closer to being full than otherwise. The admin did not make additional comments on specific numbers or how much wait list movement there is.
There is typically a lot of movement on the waitlist during the first 2 weeks of June. Also realize if you have an interview its because there is a seat available.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got in first week of June (off the waitlist, thats typically when movement starts). I have a friend that got in during July and another in August.

for people who have been accepted, do you mind sharing your stats?
Little late to the party here but I am OOS. cGPA: 3.69 sGPA: 3.6 and MCAT: 512. Pretty good ECs and currently gaining clinical exposure in an ICU.

I know this has been asked before, but I've yet to see it be answered: Is there an accepted student Facebook group of any sort? Yeah there's the Schools App, but I was wondering if there was anything else more organized. Thanks!

Any accepted students who have looked for housing have any recommendations for apartments and/or useful sites? Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who has had zoom interviews hear any news yet?

Hi guys! I forgot the financial aid deadline until recently... Was wondering if any current student or anyone who knows of the information has an idea of if the deadline is a strict deadline for aid or its more of a soft one given that people are still waiting to hear back...

Are there any M3 or M4s on here that have insight on what rotation are like? Ive heard each rotation is usually done at different hospitals and you have separate coordinators for each instead of just one, which sounds like it could become an issue with communication. Any information is much appreciated!

Are there any M3 or M4s on here that have insight on what rotation are like? Ive heard each rotation is usually done at different hospitals and you have separate coordinators for each instead of just one, which sounds like it could become an issue with communication. Any information is much appreciated!
Out of 12 rotations 3rd year, I was only at 4 different hospitals. Theoretically you could end up going to 12 different hospitals, but depends on your rotation site ranking and random chance in the lottery spin. Each specialty has a different coordinator. Some are better than others. Really not that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, I was only at 4 different hospitals third year as well. As for having separate coordinators for each rotation, that’s not a big deal at all. Not really sure what kind of communication issues you’re expecting

Out of 12 rotations 3rd year, I was only at 4 different hospitals. Theoretically you could end up going to 12 different hospitals, but depends on your rotation site ranking and random chance in the lottery spin. Each specialty has a different coordinator. Some are better than others. Really not that big of a deal.
Yea, I was only at 4 different hospitals third year as well. As for having separate coordinators for each rotation, that’s not a big deal at all. Not really sure what kind of communication issues you’re expecting

Thanks for the info! Wanted to hear your thoughts so glad it’s not a big deal at all.

I had my interview the first day they went virtual. I still have not heard back, hope this reassures some of you wondering. Expecting to hear back in May.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any current students on the thread who would be available and willing for a few questions? Thanks so much!!

For current students, what do most students use for note-taking? iPads or laptops? should we purchase an iPad prior to classes starting? thank you!

Are there any current students on the thread who would be available and willing for a few questions? Thanks so much!!
Sure

For current students, what do most students use for note-taking? iPads or laptops? should we purchase an iPad prior to classes starting? thank you!
Use whatever you think will help YOU the best. Some used pen and paper, some used laptops, some used tablets.

Thanks so much! Was wondering your opinion on the following:
1. Is it necessary to have a car as student at CCOM? Tried to search for nearby housing but realized that even some of the closet ones are only of driving distance
2. How would you say are the odds of students matching into desired specialties in CCOM? Couldn't find much info on match list etc online and of course I realize things would be different with Step changes and each year students might have different preferences... But just want a general idea

Thanks so much!

1. Is it necessary to have a car as student at CCOM? Tried to search for nearby housing but realized that even some of the closet ones are only of driving distance
2. How would you say are the odds of students matching into desired specialties in CCOM? Couldn't find much info on match list etc online and of course I realize things would be different with Step changes and each year students might have different preferences... But just want a general idea

Thanks so much!
1) some of our classmates biked to school, but a car is definitely more useful than not
2) people have different interests and what’s desirable to one person might not be desirable to another. I think, overall, our class is pretty satisfied with match results, with some matching into some pretty tough specialties

1) some of our classmates biked to school, but a car is definitely more useful than not
2) people have different interests and what’s desirable to one person might not be desirable to another. I think, overall, our class is pretty satisfied with match results, with some matching into some pretty tough specialties
Thanks so much!!!

Thanks so much!

1. 1st and 2nd year you can get away without a car, but might require some coordination on your part for finding transportation to things such as volunteering activities, early clinical opportunities, etc.

2. Go for whatever you want. This is true for any school. There isn't one field that hasn't been matched by CCOM students.

I applied for campus housing in hopes to not need a car for the first two years..

Has anyone that has interviewed recently (March/April) heard a positive decision? Wanted to get an idea how likely an acceptance might be at this point in the app cycle? Any info helps! Just anxious to hear the decisions :)

Have did they let you know if you don’t might me asking?
I just got an email saying something along the lines of all though we think your qualities were impressive we have decided not to pursue any further with your application.

Edit: also it's no problem!

I was just placed on the alternate list. Stated it was unranked and would remain open until August.

Waitlist here for me but will be withdrawing. Best of luck everyone!

Has anyone that has interviewed recently (March/April) heard a positive decision? Wanted to get an idea how likely an acceptance might be at this point in the app cycle? Any info helps! Just anxious to hear the decisions :)

I interviewed 4/16 and was just put on waitlist!

Hi guys, sorry for all the questions but this one is kind of important to me --
I have been accepted at another school that has somewhat of a more lenient grading system (honors, high pass, pass), but prefer this school for basically everything else (location, great program, etc). Having gone through premed, the ABCD grading system has gotten me somewhat frustrated. Can any current student provide some insight on the overall difficulty and if it adds a whole new level of stress for matching..

Thank you so much!!!