2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, sorry for all the questions but this one is kind of important to me --
I have been accepted at another school that has somewhat of a more lenient grading system (honors, high pass, pass), but prefer this school for basically everything else (location, great program, etc). Having gone through premed, the ABCD grading system has gotten me somewhat frustrated. Can any current student provide some insight on the overall difficulty and if it adds a whole new level of stress for matching..

Thank you so much!!!
I personally didn’t care that we were graded using the ABCD system. I’m sure going to pass/fail alleviates some stress but you have to understand that you’ll still be internally ranked. The transparency of knowing I got a C or whatever helped me buckle down when I needed to.
As far as marching, the MSPE includes a histogram with where you fall in comparison to your class. And if you go to a school that inflates grades ( gives everyone honors), it doesn’t mean much to a PD

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you this makes a lot of sense and would you say that because of internal ranking and everything the actual letter grades one get isn’t really all that important?

Thank you this makes a lot of sense and would you say that because of internal ranking and everything the actual letter grades one get isn’t really all that important?
Letter grades reflect your understanding of material, so it’s still important.
What I’m saying is, in a Hon/HP/P/F system, you might not have the stress of the lettering system, but the school will still rank you internally based on your performance. And you’ll really only get a ballpark of where your mastery of material falls when you just see a P for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invitation today. Totally unexpected! Just wanted to let those know who were wondering if interview season here had concluded. Available interview dates included 05/12, 05/13, and 05/14. Will of course be a virtual interview through Zoom.

Reactions: 2 users
Asking for a friend. Our masters program just ended today and she got an interview invite! For those who interviewed, do you mind sending some feedback on the interview? Anything will help from questions, advice, etc.

Thanks in advance!

First timer on a waitlist here...so sorry for the novice questions..but does anybody get off the waitlist before interviews are completed? Does timing of sending an update/new LOR matter?

Thanks!

I had my interview the first day they went virtual. I still have not heard back, hope this reassures some of you wondering. Expecting to hear back in May.

Hi, would you care to elaborate on how they coordinated this virtual interview? Was it a panel/traditional, duration of interview, relaxed/stressful? I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

I also received an interview invite on April 30th for the three May dates mentioned above. This is my second interview this cycle. My first one was back in October (crazy how times have changed). I'd love to hear from someone who has gone through a virtual interview. Also, any advice on questions, stress levels, dress code (full suit or a jacket, shirt, and tie while sitting in your boxers), etc. would be much appreciated.

My guess is those who are interviewing in May are automatically going to be waitlisted, assuming they do well in the interview? Good luck to everyone! I'm supposed to signup for the MCAT again this week, and I would love not to study for that again. :vomit:

I also received an interview invite on April 30th for the three May dates mentioned above. This is my second interview this cycle. My first one was back in October (crazy how times have changed). I'd love to hear from someone who has gone through a virtual interview. Also, any advice on questions, stress levels, dress code (full suit or a jacket, shirt, and tie while sitting in your boxers), etc. would be much appreciated.

My guess is those who are interviewing in May are automatically going to be waitlisted, assuming they do well in the interview? Good luck to everyone! I'm supposed to signup for the MCAT again this week, and I would love not to study for that again. :vomit:

Ok they schedule ~2 people per interview time slot that’s assigned ahead of time.

- When you log onto the Zoom, you’re in a “room” with (on my day it was) 2 admissions people and the other person scheduled to interview so you’re just there making small talk. Then the admissions people separate you and the other interviewee into a “breakout room”, where your 2 interviewers will be

- They have ~ 20 minutes to ask you questions, then you get the last 5-7 minutes to ask them questions

- I’d recommend wearing your full suit just in case though, notably, my interviewers were dressed very casually

- overall I thought it was an interesting format compared to other more traditionally formatted interviews from this cycle. 20 minutes is not long to sell yourself, and when you’re doing it behind a computer screen I felt it was harder to connect person to person

- their questions were not tough though. If you can express why you want to be a doctor and answer questions they may have from your CV, you’ll be golden.

- All the interviewers can see is your secondary responses and the CV you submitted along with those

Good luck and congrats on your interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

First timer on a waitlist here...so sorry for the novice questions..but does anybody get off the waitlist before interviews are completed? Does timing of sending an update/new LOR matter?

Thanks!
People can get off the waitlist at anytime. Send updates whenever you have something worth informing them of

You interview for a seat

Ok they schedule ~2 people per interview time slot that’s assigned ahead of time.

- When you log onto the Zoom, you’re in a “room” with (on my day it was) 2 admissions people and the other person scheduled to interview so you’re just there making small talk. Then the admissions people separate you and the other interviewee into a “breakout room”, where your 2 interviewers will be

- They have ~ 20 minutes to ask you questions, then you get the last 5-7 minutes to ask them questions

- I’d recommend wearing your full suit just in case though, notably, my interviewers were dressed very casually

- overall I thought it was an interesting format compared to other more traditionally formatted interviews from this cycle. 20 minutes is not long to sell yourself, and when you’re doing it behind a computer screen I felt it was harder to connect person to person

- their questions were not tough though. If you can express why you want to be a doctor and answer questions they may have from your CV, you’ll be golden.

- All the interviewers can see is your secondary responses and the CV you submitted along with those

Gotta say, I agree with your 4th point. I felt like they didn't really get to know me at the end of my interview and that there was lots I wanted to say but didn't have the time to because of how rushed it was.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hi, Thank you for your response. Were there any MMI type questions? I heard they've been doing that for their in person interviews.

Guys good luck at the interview! I interviewed at this school and was accepted. I truly enjoyed the school and what they have to offer and wish you the very best!

Got an II on 4/30. So excited. Any advice for a zoom interview? Also, this school does letter grades, right? thanks!

Got an II earlier this morning. It was a great surprise, I honestly thought they were done with interviews. I understand it's a bit more competitive now that we are late in the cycle, but any advice about interviews will be really appreciated.

I just got a call that I have been accepted off the waitlist. Interviewed 2/17 and didn't send any updates since then. I will be declining so hopefully it goes out to one of you! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got a call that I have been accepted off the waitlist. Interviewed 2/17 and didn't send any updates since then. I will be declining so hopefully it goes out to one of you! Good luck!
I interviewed 2/14 and have been put on the waitlist too. I haven't sent any updates either, I hope I get a call!

Received a call around noon yesterday that I was accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed mid-March, sent one update and LOR

Received a call around noon yesterday that I was accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed mid-March, sent one update and LOR

Hi, did you send a LOR from a DO physician or a proffesor? I'm wondering should it be a different person from your original letters? Thanks!

Do we need to do anything besides put a deposit down to reserve our seat?

i just got the an interview here.. so shocked that it's so late. i was already expecting a rejection letter.

Congratulations! What date are you interviewing, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!
I'm interviewing on Monday may 18. i already got admitted to a really good school - also DO and now I'm super confused. lmao somebody #help. if there's a current med school student that i can DM for advice, can y'all reply to this post? :(

I'm interviewing on Monday may 18. i already got admitted to a really good school - also DO and now I'm super confused. lmao somebody #help. if there's a current med school student that i can DM for advice, can y'all reply to this post? :(

hey! I saw you were also admitted to KCU. I think this school is on par with KCU. I would run with KCU to save money since ccom’s tuition and overall cost of attendance are so high. That is, unless you have some compelling reason to attend CCOM such as family nearby, etc.

hey! I saw you were also admitted to KCU. I think this school is on par with KCU. I would run with KCU to save money since ccom’s tuition and overall cost of attendance are so high. That is, unless you have some compelling reason to attend CCOM such as family nearby, etc.
yeah it definitely is more expensive but yeah i do have family nearby as I'm from Chicago haha we shall see. have you already committed to CCOM?

yeah it definitely is more expensive but yeah i do have family nearby as I'm from Chicago haha we shall see. have you already committed to CCOM?

OH then by all means go kill that interview :)!!! Also from the area - i'll be interviewing next week! Fingers crossed we can both stay near home!

Is there a reason their tuition is so high? Any rationale?

Slide into the DMs

Does anyone know if this a normal interview cycle for this school? I feel like Mid-May is sort of late for interviews.

To any current students/alumni- I am deciding between CCOM and VCOM (Spartanburg, SC). The problem is that my interview at CCOM occurred during COVID, so I wasn't able to visit. Having a hard time deciding since I was unable to get a sense of CCOM. Any students/alumni out there that can offer insight?

t
To any current students/alumni- I am deciding between CCOM and VCOM (Spartanburg, SC). The problem is that my interview at CCOM occurred during COVID, so I wasn't able to visit. Having a hard time deciding since I was unable to get a sense of CCOM. Any students/alumni out there that can offer insight?
this isn't an answer to your question but this is exactly how i felt. i did my VCOM interview through zoom but ultimately turned it down bc i didn't get a feel for the school. in terms of prestige, from what i heard, CCOM is better that VCOM.

Do they typically interview lower stats people around this time? I'm a bit under their averages and worried that their decision will automatically be a waitlist or reject.

Do they typically interview lower stats people around this time? I'm a bit under there averages and worried that their decision will automatically be a waitlist or reject.
It's been said multiple times in this thread, CCOM interviews for open seats and not for the waitlist.

It's been said multiple times in this thread, CCOM interviews for open seats and not for the waitlist.
Yeah i understand that. My question was more about if below average stats (gpa and MCAT) doesn't matter as much if you are able to get an interview.

Yeah i understand that. My question was more about if below average stats (gpa and MCAT) doesn't matter as much if you are able to get an interview.
If you got an II, you’ve got a chance. Just don’t come off weird or unprepared for the questions.

Hi! I have a question for current students:
I am thinking of living on campus b/c I don't have a car, is getting meal plans necessary in this case or are there good number of grocery stores etc in the area to get stuff if I don't have a car? Thank you so much!!

Not a current student but very familiar with the area. Plenty of grocery stores nearby but not really walking distance. This area is really, really difficult to get around without a car since it is the suburbs.

Edit: however, lyft/uber are always an option
Thank you!!

Hi! I have a question for current students:
I am thinking of living on campus b/c I don't have a car, is getting meal plans necessary in this case or are there good number of grocery stores etc in the area to get stuff if I don't have a car? Thank you so much!!
[/QUOTE
Not a current student but very familiar with the area. Plenty of grocery stores nearby but not really walking distance. This area is really, really difficult to get around without a car since it is the suburbs.

Edit: however, lyft/uber are always an option
Also want to add that you’ll likely make friends who do have cars and I’m sure they’ll be willing to give you a ride from time to time. Uber/Lyft are also good options but it can be around ~$10 one way just to get to the grocery store from campus.

Hey guys, rising M4 here. I’ve seen some people on here recently wanting advice from current students. If anyone has questions about CCOM, I’d be happy to answer them and give my honest opinions. Feel free to PM me.