2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to join it but it says it hasn't started yet? Isn't it 3pm right now in Arizona?

Edit: I guess it's still 2pm there. I always thought they were an hour ahead of PST?
We don’t participate in daylight savings sooo it changes

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to join it but it says it hasn't started yet? Isn't it 3pm right now in Arizona?

Edit: I guess it's still 2pm there. I always thought they were an hour ahead of PST?

I think it depends on the daylight saving time, but right now it's the same with PST.

Do you happen to know if there's a dress code? Maybe business casual?

Is everyone joining the video conference today? Is it mandatory?
Is the video conference for second look? Does anyone joining mind sharing an overview of what information is provided? Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the daylight saving time, but right now it's the same with PST.

Do you happen to know if there's a dress code? Maybe business casual?
Oh, honestly, I wasn't thinking about showing my face on camera especially since it starts while I'm at work so I was going to just listen to it in the background...

What is this video conference you guys are referring to?

Is the video conference for second look? Does anyone joining mind sharing an overview of what information is provided? Please and thank you!

hey! I remember you from my other post with TUNCOM :D. I can help you with that! But for now this is from the video:
"During this hour, we will present the many things that are happening on our campus, our classes and with our students. We will answer your questions about your Orientation and the start of your first year classes. "

What is this video conference you guys are referring to?
It's a webex conference that they emailed us about a week ago to welcome us and answer any questions about orientation and classes

Oh, honestly, I wasn't thinking about showing my face on camera especially since it starts while I'm at work so I was going to just listen to it in the background...

hmmm we have the option to turn off the camera? maybe it was implied but for some reason, i assumed we all have to turn on our cameras, better if we don't though! I'm at work also

hmmm we have the option to turn off the camera? maybe it was implied but for some reason, i assumed we all have to turn on our cameras, better if we don't though! I'm at work also
i think you should be able to on the webex app :confused: i'm not sure though since i haven't used it
tbh i really thought that's how it'd go down since they invited so many people in the email so i didn't think it could handle everyone being on camera :unsure:

hey! I remember you from my other post with TUNCOM :D. I can help you with that! But for now this is from the video:
"During this hour, we will present the many things that are happening on our campus, our classes and with our students. We will answer your questions about your Orientation and the start of your first year classes. "
I remember you too! Glad you're getting the chance to find out more about the campus and hope it helps with your decision! :)

i think you should be able to on the webex app :confused: i'm not sure though since i haven't used it
tbh i really thought that's how it'd go down since they invited so many people in the email so i didn't think it could handle everyone being on camera :unsure:
you're completely right! the list is definitely super long lolol. I'll change into a normal shirt though just in case since I'm wearing my PJ all day with WFH

I remember you too! Glad you're getting the chance to find out more about the campus and hope it helps with your decision! :)

Thank you! I hope so too! It's good timing since I have to make a decision by this Friday :)

Current AZcom student here. Webex does give you the option to turn off the camera and microphone so I wouldn’t worry about how you look. I attended most of the deans talks from the last couple months in pajamas.

here are my rough notes:

They expect us to be here in Arizona at the beginning of August. State of Arizona is opening up, they said that places are reopening. They think that by August everything will be reopened, and we will be wearing cloth masks. They expect we will have small groups and OMM, and they are willing to do them if it will take a longer period of time.

Orientation week is three days. 1 day for student services (talking about insurance, library, counseling service and medical services, security, name badges) . 2nd and 3rd days are about courses, syllabuses going out, panels, getting to meet everyone (there’s a musical instrument museum scavenger hunt to get to know ppl). Another activity: “speed dating” where you get a small period of time to meet faculty based on interests. Basically different activities to help us get acclimated to the school.

Rotation site selection: submit list of preferences for rotation sites in fall quarter and they will select the region that you preference but there is a trading process if you don't get the region you want

White coat ceremony: they believe we will have a white coat ceremony but unsure what format it will be and if it will still occur in September.

Medical equipment: they will provide the stethoscope. There is a student fee that will cover the diagnostic kit that they require.
Requirement that every student has 1 ward based rotation but most students have 2-3 when everything is done. They guess about 2/11 are ward based but several other rotation will be hospital based. 50% hospital based 50% clinic based rotations. 33 students in LA between North and South, 11 in San Diego want to grow, 22 in Tucson, 100+ in phoenix east and west valley, 11 in Chicago and I forgot how many in Kankakee but those are some approximations.

They do not provide any specific tech, want people to use what they prefer to use.

They leave time for independent study and faculty have tried to work it such that large density stuff is in the morning, and having Friday afternoons off. Research can be an elective for the first year.

Simulated clinical experience in first year. Second year we get to work in the HOME class and get experience with the homeless population.
Re: USMLE P/F, historically many of their students take USMLE and have been trying to limit the number of students taking the exam bc they're taking it unnecessarily. Said it will be an ongoing area of counselling with students, still looking how this will affect things but they are going to work with us individually on developing a strategy tailored to what we want to go into for residency.

They provide a question bank for COMLEX boardrs, they are providing Combank this year for 2nd and 3rd year students. Do not have systems based training for curriculum since they will have multiple classes over multiple years. Frequency of exams depends on year, but 1st and 2nd year are tests weekly. 3rd year for 9 of the rotations will have a test every 4 weeks and that test will be similar to COMLEX or USMLE in that specialty. Aaaand idk about 4th year, I missed it.

Loans and financial aid information is discussed during orientation. They're going to have another meeting in about 2-3 weeks for more information!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
here are my rough notes:

They expect us to be here in Arizona at the beginning of August. State of Arizona is opening up, they said that places are reopening. They think that by August everything will be reopened, and we will be wearing cloth masks. They expect we will have small groups and OMM, and they are willing to do them if it will take a longer period of time.

Orientation week is three days. 1 day for student services (talking about insurance, library, counseling service and medical services, security, name badges) . 2nd and 3rd days are about courses, syllabuses going out, panels, getting to meet everyone (there’s a musical instrument museum scavenger hunt to get to know ppl). Another activity: “speed dating” where you get a small period of time to meet faculty based on interests. Basically different activities to help us get acclimated to the school.

Rotation site selection: submit list of preferences for rotation sites in fall quarter and they will select the region that you preference but there is a trading process if you don't get the region you want

White coat ceremony: they believe we will have a white coat ceremony but unsure what format it will be and if it will still occur in September.

Medical equipment: they will provide the stethoscope. There is a student fee that will cover the diagnostic kit that they require.
Requirement that every student has 1 ward based rotation but most students have 2-3 when everything is done. They guess about 2/11 are ward based but several other rotation will be hospital based. 50% hospital based 50% clinic based rotations. 33 students in LA between North and South, 11 in San Diego want to grow, 22 in Tucson, 100+ in phoenix east and west valley, 11 in Chicago and I forgot how many in Kankakee but those are some approximations.

They do not provide any specific tech, want people to use what they prefer to use.

They leave time for independent study and faculty have tried to work it such that large density stuff is in the morning, and having Friday afternoons off. Research can be an elective for the first year.

Simulated clinical experience in first year. Second year we get to work in the HOME class and get experience with the homeless population.
Re: USMLE P/F, historically many of their students take USMLE and have been trying to limit the number of students taking the exam bc they're taking it unnecessarily. Said it will be an ongoing area of counselling with students, still looking how this will affect things but they are going to work with us individually on developing a strategy tailored to what we want to go into for residency.

They provide a question bank for COMLEX boardrs, they are providing Combank this year for 2nd and 3rd year students. Do not have systems based training for curriculum since they will have multiple classes over multiple years. Frequency of exams depends on year, but 1st and 2nd year are tests weekly. 3rd year for 9 of the rotations will have a test every 4 weeks and that test will be similar to COMLEX or USMLE in that specialty. Aaaand idk about 4th year, I missed it.

Loans and financial aid information is discussed during orientation. They're going to have another meeting in about 2-3 weeks for more information!
Thank you for taking the time to share your notes with us!

here are my rough notes:

Thank you so much!!

Has anyone else’s accepted checklist shown up? I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I’ve read from other posts on here this may mean something good. It wasn’t showing a checklist yesterday. I also tried to call but no answer. Have not gotten an official call or email with a decision yet. Can anyone tell me what this means?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else’s accepted checklist shown up? I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I’ve read from other posts on here this may mean something good. It wasn’t showing a checklist yesterday. I also tried to call but no answer. Have not gotten an official call or email with a decision yet. Can anyone tell me what this means?
Are you seeing the checklist? If yes, I think you're accepted!! Congrats. Do you mind telling us when your interview was?

Are you seeing the checklist? If yes, I think you're accepted!! Congrats. Do you mind telling us when your interview was?
I’m in shock, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself until I get a call or
Email. Interview was On May 12th. Thanks so much for the reply!

Reactions: 5 users
I’m in shock, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself until I get a call or
Email. Interview was On May 12th. Thanks so much for the reply!
Oooof now I’m stressed since I don’t see anything and I interviewed before you

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted students checklist popped up for me as well today! So excited! Interviewed on May 5th.

I got placed on the alternate list... this sucks. 5 IIs this cycle, 3 WLs, and waiting on 2 more responses :(

I got placed on the alternate list... this sucks. 5 IIs this cycle, 3 WLs, and waiting on 2 more responses :(
I know being in WL purgatory sucks but I hope you can secure an A from your other two responses! The good news is that historically, AZCOM has a lot of WL movement. If you want, you should check out the DO wl support thread. It’s still pretty early for movement to start happening but it’s nice to have support from others who know how it feels.

If I interviewed in May and the accepted student list has not popped up, this should be taken as a rejection?

If I interviewed in May and the accepted student list has not popped up, this should be taken as a rejection?
Not necessarily, you should check the applicant checklist instead. If your applicant checklist has changed but still exists then it’s a waitlist. If the applicant checklist has disappeared and you no longer see anything there at all then it’s possibly a rejection, a friend was rejected and told me this so take it as n=1.

edit: big thumbs+little keyboard=typos

Last edited:
I got an email saying that my application has been put on hold post interview pending my MCAT scores and/or grade updates...but I took the MCAT in 2019 and currently doing a thesis-based master's so I have no MCAT or grade updates. Is anyone else in the same situation? I've sent an email to admissions to inquire further

I know being in WL purgatory sucks but I hope you can secure an A from your other two responses! The good news is that historically, AZCOM has a lot of WL movement. If you want, you should check out the DO wl support thread. It’s still pretty early for movement to start happening but it’s nice to have support from others who know how it feels.

From looking at previous threads some years it’s a lot, sometimes years it’s barely any at all.

When will the movement start I wonder ? And if we are not ranked, are they just picking us randomly?

From looking at previous threads some years it’s a lot, sometimes years it’s barely any at all.

When will the movement start I wonder ? And if we are not ranked, are they just picking us randomly?
We only see a small percentage of applicants on here and even then it’s only the information that people choose to share so it’s hard to tell based off of SDN alone.

WL movement could have already started and we don’t know because no one here has posted about it yet. Or maybe it hasn’t started since they seem to still be giving out decisions from May interviews. I’m speculating that the list should start moving soon though. I know from my master’s friends who were WL’d last cycle, they heard back throughout the summer up until the week before classes started. Of course there might be people who heard back the week of orientation but I personally wouldn’t know.

I’ve heard that the way that unranked waitlists work is that they try to choose an alternate who has similar demographics/stats/whatever else to the person who withdrew their seat. Again, that’s just speculation and anecdotes. I truly do not know.

We only see a small percentage of applicants on here and even then it’s only the information that people choose to share so it’s hard to tell based off of SDN alone.

WL movement could have already started and we don’t know because no one here has posted about it yet. Or maybe it hasn’t started since they seem to still be giving out decisions from May interviews. I’m speculating that the list should start moving soon though. I know from my master’s friends who were WL’d last cycle, they heard back throughout the summer up until the week before classes started. Of course there might be people who heard back the week of orientation but I personally wouldn’t know.

I’ve heard that the way that unranked waitlists work is that they try to choose an alternate who has similar demographics/stats/whatever else to the person who withdrew their seat. Again, that’s just speculation and anecdotes. I truly do not know.

Thanks for your answer! This is going to be a painful wait...

Thanks for your answer! This is going to be a painful wait...
You’re welcome! And yep, been waiting since October so at this point I’m just numb lol

Not necessarily, you should check the applicant checklist instead. If your applicant checklist has changed but still exists then it’s a waitlist. If the applicant checklist has disappeared and you no longer see anything there at all then it’s possibly a rejection, a friend was rejected and told me this so take it as n=1.

edit: big thumbs+little keyboard=typos
how does the change in the applicant checklist look like? Seems to me nothing has changed.

how does the change in the applicant checklist look like? Seems to me nothing has changed.
I can’t remember what it looked like before tbh but the change would be that there are now green or green+red checks by your prerequisites.

It goes from saying “ this page is only for accepted students” to a list of tasks you need to do to matriculate. If you pm me I can show you. I got the official email one day later (this morning)

I can’t remember what it looked like before tbh but the change would be that there are now green or green+red checks by your prerequisites.
prerequisites like science classes? or rec letter and other stuff?

This change is for the rejected? or for the accepted..?

I think the waitlist movement has started because one of my friends who was waitlisted just got their acceptance!

This change is for the rejected? or for the accepted..?
It looks like the image below for the waitlist decision and shows up in the applicant checklist not the accepted checklist. If the applicant checklist page is blank then I’ve heard that’s a rejection but that’s purely anecdotal so don’t take my word for it. If the accepted checklist populates then you’re accepted.

edited for clarity.

Attachments

• 69CE8A24-EB0E-4424-91A5-DD09C5B7E9E8.jpeg
    69CE8A24-EB0E-4424-91A5-DD09C5B7E9E8.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 130
It looks like the image below for the waitlist decision and shows up in the applicant checklist not the accepted checklist. If it’s blank then I’ve heard that’s a rejection but that’s purely anecdotal so don’t take my word for it. If the accepted checklist populates then you’re accepted.
Blank? If I choose AZCOM or CCOM, the green checklist pops up...Is that a sign for rejection...? I feel like nothing changed from 10 days ago.
The green checklist doesn't have prerequisites. It is just rec letters and the supplemental application.

I can’t tell you if it’s a sign of rejection, I can only tell you that my friend who was rejected told me that literally nothing showed up on that page for him post-interview when he was rejected. In other words the page was blank. If there is something, anything, a checklist or whatever on that page then it could mean that you’re still under consideration or you’re waitlisted.

I know waiting is hard but you’ll likely be getting a decision soon. They will send a letter by postal mail if it’s a waitlist or rejection. Idk how accepted people have gotten their decisions, maybe an email or phone call? Can an accepted student confirm please?

I can’t tell you if it’s a sign of rejection, I can only tell you that my friend who was rejected told me that literally nothing showed up on that page for him post-interview when he was rejected. In other words the page was blank. If there is something, anything, a checklist or whatever on that page then it could mean that you’re still under consideration or you’re waitlisted.

I know waiting is hard but you’ll likely be getting a decision soon. They will send a letter by postal mail if it’s a waitlist or rejection. Idk how accepted people have gotten their decisions, maybe an email or phone call? Can an accepted student confirm please?
This is what I am seeing. If I hit submit, there would be a green checklist without science classes.

This is what I am seeing. If I hit submit, there would be a green checklist without science classes.
You’re not rejected then. Maybe still under consideration but not rejected. The page that you shared would have nothing there if you were rejected.

I got a formal email saying I was put on the alternate list. Maybe check your spam folder for the email?

It goes from saying “ this page is only for accepted students” to a list of tasks you need to do to matriculate. If you pm me I can show you. I got the official email one day later (this morning)
Congrats! I will just wait for the email verdict then, instead of frenetically checking the website every 15 minutes lol.
I got a formal email saying I was put on the alternate list. Maybe check your spam folder for the email?
When did you get the email? Maybe they send the acceptances and waitlists before the rejects....

Congrats! I will just wait for the email verdict then, instead of frenetically checking the website every 15 minutes lol.

When did you get the email? Maybe they send the acceptances and waitlists before the rejects....

I got it around midnight today (AZ time). That's generally when I got emails from admissions. Got my interview invite, interview thank you email and this alternate list email all generally around that time in the day.

I got it around midnight today (AZ time). That's generally when I got emails from admissions. Got my interview invite, interview thank you email and this alternate list email all generally around that time in the day.
True. I remember finding an interview invite in my email at around 3 am. I kept asking myself "Why would they send or schedule to send an email at this hour...?"

Seems to be 3:27 - 3:36ish EST

Just got accepted off the waitlist this morning! There should be movement

Reactions: 7 users
I got an email saying that my application has been put on hold post interview pending my MCAT scores and/or grade updates...but I took the MCAT in 2019 and currently doing a thesis-based master's so I have no MCAT or grade updates. Is anyone else in the same situation? I've sent an email to admissions to inquire further

Keep us updated on their reply