2019-2020 Northeast Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is pure speculation.

Based on emails sent they stated all M1 slots are filled at this point, and we are waiting for spots to open up. How will so many spots open up at this point, considering the April 30 deadline for narrowing acceptances to 1 is so close? I just don’t see it...
There was never a direct answer given to this question. The only way for spots to open up is that accepted students receive another offer from a waitlist and decide to attend there. Or CSU post baccs don’t make the cut. Seems unlikely that this will free up that many spots. I honestly hope you’re right and there is drastic waitlist movement.
2 things that might bring you some hope!

Anecdotally, the majority of people with multiple acceptances don't commit to a school until a day or 2 before the deadline. I have a friend who got into Toledo on April 27th his year post-interview.. not off the waitlist, another friend who got a 150K scholarship to UChicago the day before the deadline. So it might be that many people who are currently in that accepted pool haven't made their final decisions yet.

Also, Admissions put 100ish of you guys in the "priority waitlist" category. I know these people and they are not some evil people sitting up in their offices scheming around. They made that designation and that cutoff likely based on the idea that those people have a solid shot at getting an offer.

I'm with ya GangstaB123, lets hope theres drastic movement!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
2 things that might bring you some hope!

Anecdotally, the majority of people with multiple acceptances don't commit to a school until a day or 2 before the deadline. I have a friend who got into Toledo on April 27th his year post-interview.. not off the waitlist, another friend who got a 150K scholarship to UChicago the day before the deadline. So it might be that many people who are currently in that accepted pool haven't made their final decisions yet.

Also, Admissions put 100ish of you guys in the "priority waitlist" category. I know these people and they are not some evil people sitting up in their offices scheming around. They made that designation and that cutoff likely based on the idea that those people have a solid shot at getting an offer.

I'm with ya GangstaB123, lets hope theres drastic movement!
I agree with this and hope your right. But why send the virtual second look now to people that weren't originally on the priority waiting list? Isn't that in a way false hope ? What are the chances of people ranked 200 plus of getting in at this point?

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with this and hope your right. But why send the virtual second look now to people that weren't originally on the priority waiting list? Isn't that in a way false hope ? What are the chances of people ranked 200 plus of getting in at this point?
Talked to a student who is more closely involved with admissions. The virtual second look is to provide as much transparency as possible. They had applicants reach out to see if the school would be having another event like this and the demand was high enough that they thought they would have good attendance again. Its their job to sell neomed to you and they want to answer as many questions as possible! I think they opened it up to the entire waitlist because the applicants that reached out were not included in the original group.

I don't think they wanted to provide false hope at all, but just be open and give a space for applicants to interact with them. Maybe they will be able to clear this up more on the call!

Members don't see this ad :)

I couldn't agree more. I know the waitlist went into the 400s. I am in the 300s and can't help but feel that there's barely a chance I'll get in, but this virtual second look event is giving me false hope. Hoping for a miracle.

Current M1 here, also willing to answer questions and provide my own perspective on things. Responses may be delayed, though—next week is a hellish week for the class!

Current M1 here, also willing to answer questions and provide my own perspective on things. Responses may be delayed, though—next week is a hellish week for the class!

based on last year’s alternative list offers (161), do you anticipate it to be around the same this year? What do you think? Thanks so much!

What are your reactions to this post? Do you think there is any truth to it?

hey everyone,

I know we’re all disappointed in the (lack of) WL movement, and I’m usually pretty pessimistic about these things, but 2 things to consider that might give y’all a shimmer of hope.

1. last year when the WL dropped by about a half, the survey/reranking was very close (or even slightly after, would need to re-check) to end of April, where students pretty much need to be making a decision on what single acceptance they are going to hold going forward. I predict many of the people this go-around aren’t quite willing to give up spots because they still may be waiting on financial aid etc from their various schools. I really can’t think of any other reason why there was such a significant disparity between the 2 re-ranking survey WL movements.

2. this is totally anecdotal but my friend who interviewed w me this cycle has a friend who is an M1 here. idk what his ranking was but he was pulled off the WL in mid June last year, so you’d think he has some idea what the relevant WL numbers tend to be. My friend told him my initial ranking (mid 300s) and he said that meant I had a good shot lol and that he expected significant WL movement this year. Now idk if he’s just delusional but that was.. interestingly optimistic to me, so maybe he knows something we don’t.

I actually am ranked in the 160s and did not get a invite to either of the two second looks....

• Sad
Accepted off the waitlist. Beyond excited!! First MD acceptance.
Was in the top 20 on waitlist — it's MOVING. Good luck to everyone!!!

side note to myself: I should have been more optimistic lol

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

I had been sulking the past few days thinking it (waitlist movement) wasn't really going to happen. Congrats!!

Just got off the waitlist as well. Was ranked in the low 20s. The waitlist is moving, so keep holding on everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your reactions to this post? Do you think there is any truth to it?

This is a response I sent to a PM from someone, but I think it’s applicable to your question too:

My guess is that the waitlist is so large because the number of seats taken up by partner program students (BS/MD, Bacc/MD, Post-Bacc MD) is so much lower compared to previous years with the BS/MD program ending. The Bacc/MD program was supposed to make up for a lot of this difference, but so far it has not (I would know, I’m one of these students). Around 40% of my class is traditional admit (which itself was the highest in NEOMED’s history), and I suspect it will be around 50-65% for the next class. The extension of the WL size is probably to account for this difference. The Admissions Committee has to cover all its bases, especially in these times where they don’t want to accidentally add more to their own workloads.

I think there’s a decent chance that NEOMED gets at least to students ranked in the 200s on the WL. Like you said, they’ve updated the WL earlier than previous years, so there hasn’t been much movement yet. I know there’s at least one student in my class who was around 180 on last year’s WL. As far as 300+ goes, frankly I have no idea. I wouldn’t drop off the list in that position, though.

Omg I’m in the 70s on the waitlist so this gives me so much hope. Congratulations, I’m so happy for you!

This is a response I sent to a PM from someone, but I think it’s applicable to your question too:

My guess is that the waitlist is so large because the number of seats taken up by partner program students (BS/MD, Bacc/MD, Post-Bacc MD) is so much lower compared to previous years with the BS/MD program ending. The Bacc/MD program was supposed to make up for a lot of this difference, but so far it has not (I would know, I’m one of these students). Around 40% of my class is traditional admit (which itself was the highest in NEOMED’s history), and I suspect it will be around 50-65% for the next class. The extension of the WL size is probably to account for this difference. The Admissions Committee has to cover all its bases, especially in these times where they don’t want to accidentally add more to their own workloads.

I think there’s a decent chance that NEOMED gets at least to students ranked in the 200s on the WL. Like you said, they’ve updated the WL earlier than previous years, so there hasn’t been much movement yet. I know there’s at least one student in my class who was around 180 on last year’s WL. As far as 300+ goes, frankly I have no idea. I wouldn’t drop off the list in that position, though.
How large is the class size in total? I thought it was like 150 but maybe I’m mistaken.
I thought only like 20-30 BSMD kids were expected to matriculate this year (making the percentage higher than your estimate). Frankly I thought that 40% number would be higher too since they were already phasing it out last year

Just got off the waitlist as well. Was ranked in the low 20s. The waitlist is moving, so keep holding on everyone!

This is such amazing news!!! Thank you for the update and approximate position! congrats on being accepted

How large is the class size in total? I thought it was like 150 but maybe I’m mistaken.
I thought only like 20-30 BSMD kids were expected to matriculate this year (making the percentage higher than your estimate). Frankly I thought that 40% number would be higher too since they were already phasing it out last year

My class started with 162. You’re probably about right about the number of BS/MD matriculants, but remember there are other partner programs that I mentioned in my previous post. I’d add on at least another 20-30 coming from these programs. I might have been a little conservative with my 50-65% estimate, but I would say at the absolute most the next class will be 75% traditional.

Is Plan to Enroll before June 15th required for NEOMED or is it just choosing Commit to Enroll by June 15th that is required for NEOMED once/if we are offered an acceptance?

Do you know anyone who has filed for Ohio residency? If so, is there any advice you would give on making sure we qualify? I know we are probably required to use our federal loans to pay for everything such as rent, car insurance, groceries etc. and we also have to obtain car insurance in our own name as well as voter/car registration and driver's license? One other thing I saw is making sure our parents don't claim us as a dependent for 2020 taxes. Is there anything else we should know?

Do you know anyone who has filed for Ohio residency? If so, is there any advice you would give on making sure we qualify? I know we are probably required to use our federal loans to pay for everything such as rent, car insurance, groceries etc. and we also have to obtain car insurance in our own name as well as voter/car registration and driver's license? One other thing I saw is making sure our parents don't claim us as a dependent for 2020 taxes. Is there anything else we should know?
Call/email the financial aid office. They are kind and helpful and will make sure you get everything you need done on time. Its too important of an issue to not be 100% sure you're getting the correct info!

Call/email the financial aid office. They are kind and helpful and will make sure you get everything you need done on time. Its too important of an issue to not be 100% sure you're getting the correct info!

Seconded on this. I'm Ohio born-and-raised, so I have absolutely no experience in dealing with this process. Talk to the Financial Aid office. They're extremely helpful, in my experience.

Does anyone know if Neomed has a certain time limit on when we had to fill out the acceptance form? I just sent my acceptance form and deposit in today since I just recently got 2 waitlists and was still deciding . I should still be ok right?

Does anyone know if Neomed has a certain time limit on when we had to fill out the acceptance form? I just sent my acceptance form and deposit in today since I just recently got 2 waitlists and was still deciding . I should still be ok right?

MSAR says you have 2 weeks to accept an offer of admission. How long has it been since you got accepted?

Withdrew my acceptance here. Great school but OOS tuition is just too high. Best of luck to all of you in the waitlist!

Reactions: 7 users
Mid 30s on the WL and just accepted. Taking the offer. Very excited!!!! Best of luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 9 users
MSAR says you have 2 weeks to accept an offer of admission. How long has it been since you got accepted?
I think I should be good since I was accepted last Friday. Thanks for the info.

Mid 30s on the WL and just accepted. Taking the offer. Very excited!!!! Best of luck to everyone else!

Woooo!!! Congrats on getting off the waitlist! Also wow it's definitely moving :D

Hey all! I missed the zoom meeting today due to work. Was there anything said about waitlist movement?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all! I missed the zoom meeting today due to work. Was there anything said about waitlist movement?

not really. All they said was that the waitlist movement will be extremely fluid and that they just started accepting people from the waitlist since last Friday. Hopefully we will all hear back soon. So nerve wrecking since I’m wondering if there are any waitlist movements today for NEOMED

not really. All they said was that the waitlist movement will be extremely fluid and that they just started accepting people from the waitlist since last Friday. Hopefully we will all hear back soon. So nerve wrecking since I’m wondering if there are any waitlist movements today for NEOMED
It is unfortunate that the only way to gauge waitlist movement is if those accepted off the list are active in this thread. I wish we had a place to check our real time position on the list.

It is unfortunate that the only way to gauge waitlist movement is if those accepted off the list are active in this thread. I wish we had a place to check our real time position on the list.

agreed. They should have something like a portal where we can check our status since that’s what other schools do. I’m just way too anxious about the whole process lmao

Hey all, I've been anxiously waiting on the waitlist train as well but am grateful to say I was accepted yesterday! I was ranked in the late 30's. I hope this helps!

Hey all, I've been anxiously waiting on the waitlist train as well but am grateful to say I was accepted yesterday! I was ranked in the late 30's. I hope this helps!
Congratulations on being accepted and thank you for the update!

Alright guys and gals and those who are neither, we have officially moved at least 35 spots!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
What are some things to do in the area?
Anyone else anxious about having to live in such a rural town?

I haven't gotten in yet, but if I do... Firstly I'm not worried about it because I'll be a med student studying and volunteering all the time.

Secondly, hobbies are awesome when you live in the country, eg learning to cook, bake, paint, play music (esp. with friends), write, exercise (get cheap free weights off Craigslist, but a bike, run), and so many other things.

Thirdly, Kent is close, but Akron isn't exactly far either. There are churches, charities, and/or research to get involved with, as well as movie theaters, museums, restaurants, and some beautiful parks not that far away to also check out. Not sure how all will be affected by the virus, but unless you really need a lively nightlife and the absolute latest styles and shows, I think it will be nice going to NEOMED. On some weekends you could even drive up to Cleveland, which I personally love for the Museum of Art (free year round!) and restaurants. Cleveland also has more live shows and stuff like that.

Rootstown is rural, but it's not like middle-of-Alaska-no-reception rural.

Its honestly the worst part about NEOMED in my opinion, but a few things to think about.

Most students only live here the first 2 years and then move to one of the bigger cities for the final 2 years, so you only deal with the "ruralness" for half the time.
You can choose to live in Kent or Akron and commute to school (many students do) and then you're no longer living in the middle of nowhere.

The only part of my daily life it affects is having access to good quality restaurants right outside your door for dinner like most colleges/cities. During lunch we have the Bistro and the food is solid and students get a discount. Otherwise if you don't wanna drive any distance or cook you're stuck with mostly fast food (McDonalds, Wendy's and maybe Arby's I honestly never eat fast food so I don't even remember) and a Chinese restaurant
If you're willing to drive 10mins, a new Chipotle just opened up in Ravenna and there's more fast food options (Pizza, Taco Bell, Subway etc.). 15 mins you're in Tallmadge or Kent and you have tons of really great options both chains and locally! (Chipotle and pizza options deliver to campus)

You won't have time to do that much because medical school is time consuming and then people do research and service on top of that! But here's some things to do on weekends after exams.

15 min away: Explore Kent, college town things
25 min away: Explore Akron, including breweries, restaurants, art museum, minor league baseball, bars
30 min away: Explore Canton, including breweries, restaurants, football hall of fame etc
30 mins away: Cuyahoga Valley National Park, absolutely beautiful for hikes or picnics or outdoors activities
1 hour away: Cleveland has too many cool things to list
75 mins away: Pittsburgh is actually the best thing on this list, if you haven't been, its a really cool city with amazing food and things to do

Also the farms and vineyards close to campus have tons of seasonal activities! Hope this helps :)

Is the most waitlist movement usually in these first few days of May? If so, not hearing anything since Friday is making me nervous...

Reactions: 2 users
Is the most waitlist movement usually in these first few days of May? If so, not hearing anything since Friday is making me nervous...
The way I think about it is most of the movement happens on the first few days at the most prestigious schools, so you see UChicago and Penn etc taking applicants, opening up spots at schools like Ohio state and UC, those schools take a day or so to send more offers, applicants take a day or so to decide and then end up taking students already accepted to schools like NEOMED which opens up the waitlist for y'all.

Obviously its not that simple and schools like OSU and NEOMED also may see movement day 1 but it does mean that there should be movement by end of week or early next week due to that trickle down effect.

Don't forget that most applicants don't post on SDN when they are accepted/get off the waitlist, so there may be movement happening that we aren't privy to!

IKR? I’m so neurotic at this point where I refresh and check this page to see if there’s any updates. Also this might be the cause of the delay since people who receive an offer have 5 business days to accept/decline.

just accepted off the waitlist. not 100% but i THINK i am withdrawing my application. hope it goes to one of you!

just accepted off the waitlist. not 100% but i THINK i am withdrawing my application. hope it goes to one of you!

congrats! Would be able to let us know where you were on the WL? We just wanna gauge where NEOMED is at now

thanks for telling us! Really appreciate it since you relieved our (Or at least mine) neuroticism for today lol. Again congrats on wherever you go!

Neuroticism temporarily relieved haha

question for those who are still waiting for an acceptance: What have y'all done about finding possible housing that fits in a med student budget?