2019-2020 Northeast Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel you. Been habitually checking this thing for the last couple of weeks. Anxiety on 1000 right now

are you close to where the WL is at right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m in the high 80’s. How about you? @Kwon1

I’ve noticed this week it’s going a bit slower. Over the last couple weeks it was moving about 10 spots per week. What are your thoughts??

I’ve noticed this week it’s going a bit slower. Over the last couple weeks it was moving about 10 spots per week. What are your houghts??
Could be in the high 60s/low 70s and we wouldn’t know unless someone in that range was on the board

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I’ve noticed this week it’s going a bit slower. Over the last couple weeks it was moving about 10 spots per week. What are your thoughts??

im in the mid 70s so if anyone else is not higher than me, I should be the next one lol which is why I’m so anxious haha. It just sucks that we don’t have a way to check where we are at now on the WL (only if someone posts on Sdn, but not everyone is on here)

Could be in the high 60s/low 70s and we wouldn’t know unless someone in that range was on the board

It’s quite unfortunate that they don’t have an automatic system showing us the waitlist movements. You would think they surely could afford something like that with the amount of tuition they’re charging LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
im in the mid 70s so if anyone else is not higher than me, I should be the next one lol which is why I’m so anxious haha. It just sucks that we don’t have a way to check where we are at now on the WL (only if someone posts on Sdn, but not everyone is on here)
The only other way I could think of is if someone has access to MSAR and they show how many people are “in the class” at this point

lmao sorry haha. im being such a stereotypical neurotic premed right now
@Kwon1 I am in the same boat. The anxiety is killing me. I’m hoping next week is a better week but I recall them saying the next big shift will be in June when the direct pipeline students find out if they’ve been accepted right?

@JustTryingToHelpNEO you’ve been great thank you!

Forgot to post this earlier, but withdrew from NEOMED middle of this week! Good luck to all of you on the waitlist, I know the wait is torturous!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to post this earlier, but withdrew from NEOMED middle of this week! Good luck to all of you on the waitlist, I know the wait is torturous!

Thanks! If you don’t mind sharing, could you please let us know your WL number?

Anyone freaking out about financial aid? I am just logging onto my outlook email account and see incomplete info for my financial aid.... Any insight on this? I submitted my FAFSA a few months ago but what is pending is tax refund forms?

Edit: I am OOS lmao

Just Withdrew from the Waitlist. Was Ranked in the 90s. Hope it Makes it that Far. Best of Luck All!

Anyone freaking out about financial aid? I am just logging onto my outlook email account and see incomplete info for my financial aid.... Any insight on this? I submitted my FAFSA a few months ago but what is pending is tax refund forms?

Edit: I am OOS lmao
Email the financial aid office they should be able to help!

Has anyone ever emailed NEOMED and asked about the current position they are at on the WL? Cause I was thinking of emailing them about it and report back here
I did last week. They said they don't give further updates, but it's fluid and rest assured the list is moving. They did give me brief feedback as well since I told them I'm reapplying in case I don't get in this year.

I did last week. They said they don't give further updates, but it's fluid and rest assured the list is moving. They did give me brief feedback as well since I told them I'm reapplying in case I don't get in this year.
Was the feedback helpful ?

So how’s everyone doing this week? Anyone have any idea where the waitlist is at?

So how’s everyone doing this week? Anyone have any idea where the waitlist is at?

Last update we got on the page was #57, and they withdrew so at least up to #58 have been pulled from the list. I'm going to assume that we are at about 60 - 65 now maybe? No way to know how far until @Kwon1 (in the 70s) gets accepted (I'm rooting for you pal) since it seems they are the next out of us on this thread.

Last update we got on the page was #57, and they withdrew so at least up to #58 have been pulled from the list. I'm going to assume that we are at about 60 - 65 now maybe? No way to know how far until @Kwon1 (in the 70s) gets accepted (I'm rooting for you pal) since it seems they are the next out of us on this thread.

Really hope that it’s moving this week gosh I’m still waiting and haven’t heard back yet.

Was the feedback helpful ?
Lol we'll see! Honestly it was along the lines of doing more of a certain activity I had done which I can't do for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic, so... Idk, it felt good that it was specific enough I knew they actually looked at my stuff and didn't just give me a canned answer. I really do hope I get into this school if not this cycle then next, because they seem pretty awesome. Also fam in the area of course.

Lol we'll see! Honestly it was along the lines of doing more of a certain activity I had done which I can't do for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic, so... Idk, it felt good that it was specific enough I knew they actually looked at my stuff and didn't just give me a canned answer. I really do hope I get into this school if not this cycle then next, because they seem pretty awesome. Also fam in the area of course.
I wonder if reapplicant a coming from the WL would have any kind of advantage, since we did make it this far and were “deemed admissable” as their letter put lol. Would kinda suck to reapply and then not get an II this time. Like your app aged like milk.

The school has confirmed that the White Coat Ceremony will still be held on Friday, July 24th, but it will be virtual!

I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear but given the circumstances it should still be really cool!

Edit:
A couple things that might make you feel better

The M4s that graduated actually really liked their virtual graduation, getting hooded by their family members etc.
There's still potential for an in person white coat ceremony at some point in the future! All your class has to do is convince NEOMED (once it is safe), and they are usually really good about that kind of stuff!

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
To those on the waitlist the official FB page has 96 members on it as of now, and also not all of those members are incoming medical students (some are pharmacy). Also, waitlist movement has been delayed at many schools. So, don’t lose hope!

The school has confirmed that the White Coat Ceremony will still be held on Friday, July 24th, but it will be virtual!

I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear but given the circumstances it should still be really cool!

Edit:
A couple things that might make you feel better

The M4s that graduated actually really liked their virtual graduation, getting hooded by their family members etc.
There's still potential for an in person white coat ceremony at some point in the future! All your class has to do is convince NEOMED (once it is safe), and they are usually really good about that kind of stuff!
Does this mean the first few weeks of classes will be virtual as well?

Does this mean the first few weeks of classes will be virtual as well?
The only thing that is confirmed is that orientation will be online as well... their goal is to a hybrid online and in person system for the entire semester so not sure if those first few weeks of actual academics will be online or not for certain yet

The only thing that is confirmed is that orientation will be online as well... their goal is to a hybrid online and in person system for the entire semester so not sure if those first few weeks of actual academics will be online or not for certain yet
Do you know if their goal is for summer too or just fall to make it hybrid? Thanks!

Do you know if their goal is for summer too or just fall to make it hybrid? Thanks!
Did you mean spring? Or summer? (the reason I asked is because last year they had a month long "summer course" before their fall courses started and I didn't think that was happening again but y'all might know more than me about that)

Did you mean spring? Or summer? (the reason I asked is because last year they had a month long "summer course" before their fall courses started and I didn't think that was happening again but y'all might know more than me about that)
haha no worries! i meant the summer block which starts the end of july for four weeks I think, and then the first fall block ( if thatll be online or if they want to incorporate hybrid into either of those semesters? thanks!

haha no worries! i meant the summer block which starts the end of july for four weeks I think, and then the first fall block ( if thatll be online or if they want to incorporate hybrid into either of those semesters? thanks!
I'm sorry I don't have any further clarifying knowledge on that.

I would assume they want to do a hybrid system for both but don't know if thats a possibility yet!

Current plan is still a hybrid for both summer and fall terms. M1s and M2s still have a summer block; the new curriculum doesn’t change that. Orientation moving online is news to me though—I’m sorry y’all have to deal with that. It was a great time for me to make new friends.

@JustTryingToHelpNEO @BlackSquirrelMed I was looking at the match lists from this year and last year a while ago. And it seemed like this year only 134 students matched while last year 148 students matched. Is there an explanation for this discrepancy for this substantial decrease in numbers? Was it due to higher attrition or less people overall matching?

@JustTryingToHelpNEO @BlackSquirrelMed I was looking at the match lists from this year and last year a while ago. And it seemed like this year only 134 students matched while last year 148 students matched. Is there an explanation for this discrepancy for this substantial decrease in numbers? Was it due to higher attrition or less people overall matching?
I noticed that too, I'm not really sure the reason. But I would not take it as a sign for worry at all.

One thing I can think of is a good number of people from that class took research years so they are graduating with this upcoming class. 1 person is doing a PhD... it doesn't feel like that makes up for a difference of 14 people but that might be some of the difference.

Also, NEOMED always shows us their 97%+ (I think) match rate data. I think we would have to wait and see for that to come out if there was some sort of dip and people didn't match or the class was just smaller for some reason. The link below is one where it talks about match rate.

Our graduation rate data might help you answer this, although it’s not yet updated for this year. Historically, an average of ~8% of the class withdraws or gets kicked out. Maybe it’s higher for this class, idk ‍

Our graduation rate data might help you answer this, although it’s not yet updated for this year. Historically, an average of ~8% of the class withdraws or gets kicked out. Maybe it’s higher for this class, idk ‍

That’s actually pretty scary now that you mention it. 1 in 12 people get kicked out? Do you have any insight why that might be the case?

At this point if classes are hybrid i’d rather have everything virtual and stay at home... but then ill never get that in state tuition next year haha

That’s actually pretty scary now that you mention it. 1 in 12 people get kicked out? Do you have any insight why that might be the case?
Yes its not as scary as you think!

This being a BSMD school for all that data you looked at, a lot of kids make the decision to go to NEOMED at 17/18 years of age (or are forced by their parents). Undergrad goes fine and they get to medical school and really hate it or have no passion for it and drop out. Its happened to multiple people in my class as well.

You have to fail multiple classes, get held back a year, and then fail again the next year to get kicked out of the school. Its very very uncommon. NEOMED invests heavily in each student and the last thing they want is for them to fail. I would look at that as "people who withdrew" rather than "people who got kicked out."

Yes its not as scary as you think!

This being a BSMD school for all that data you looked at, a lot of kids make the decision to go to NEOMED at 17/18 years of age (or are forced by their parents). Undergrad goes fine and they get to medical school and really hate it or have no passion for it and drop out. Its happened to multiple people in my class as well.

You have to fail multiple classes, get held back a year, and then fail again the next year to get kicked out of the school. Its very very uncommon. NEOMED invests heavily in each student and the last thing they want is for them to fail. I would look at that as "people who withdrew" rather than "people who got kicked out."

Seconded on this. Sometimes people realize medicine isn’t for them. A traditional admit in my class dropped out about two weeks in because of that. If you’re actually working both hard and consistently, and are proactive with any problems you face, you will be more than fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Would be nice! Would also be nice to get in before I have to drop $$$ on this reapp in less than a week!
I would push off reapplying if you're in the top 100 for sure (and it works with the rest of your life circumstances). Especially this year with all the COVID uncertainty going on, admissions teams are not going to be running smoothly with all the new challenges. Its not gonna kill your app to not be completed on their desk on day 1. Might save you a bunch of $$$$ if the waitlist does what we need it to! :)