2021-2022 Northeast Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @student1675 for sharing this year's question!

2021-2022 Northeast Ohio Secondary Essay Prompt:
1. What do you hope to achieve from your experience as a NEOMED student? (5000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hello to whomever happens to read this! Do you know if we need to have our casper scores in to receive a secondary for NEOMED? Or will we be sent a secondary and casper will only be reviewed after our full applications are complete? Thanks!

Hello to whomever happens to read this! Do you know if we need to have our casper scores in to receive a secondary for NEOMED? Or will we be sent a secondary and casper will only be reviewed after our full applications are complete? Thanks!
I received my secondary from NEOMED last year before I completed Casper

Members don't see this ad :)
How OOS friendly is NEOMED?

Chances of an interview OOS are reasonable (especially if you are 75th (509) - 90th (512) MCAT). Assuming 2-3 A's given per matriculated student seat OOS, post-II A rate is not good: 30-40%.

Unless you have ties to the NEO region or a significant interest in rural health, I would apply elsewhere.

1623965291601.png

OOS Secondary received today!

Secondary Prompt:

What do you hope to achieve from your experience as a NEOMED student? (5000 characters)

Chances of an interview OOS are reasonable (especially if you are 75th (509) - 90th (512) MCAT). Assuming 2-3 A's given per matriculated student seat OOS, post-II A rate is not good: 30-40%.

Unless you have ties to the NEO region or a significant interest in rural health, I would apply elsewhere.

View attachment 339071
What kinds of patient populations have you gotten to interact with in the NEOMED area? Urban, rural, both?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kinds of patient populations have you gotten to interact with in the NEOMED area? Urban, rural, both?

Not a NEOMED student, but Rootstown is a very rural area. They have clinicals in a couple of health systems across northeast Ohio, most are rural or suburban. The most urban you're going to get is Akron-Canton metro like Akron General/Summa Health.

• Love
Not a NEOMED student, but Rootstown is a very rural area. They have clinicals in a couple of health systems across northeast Ohio, most are rural or suburban. The most urban you're going to get is Akron-Canton metro like Akron General/Summa Health.

I've been doing a lot of urban health equity work the past few years, but I'm getting more drawn to NEOMED due to its location and proximity to both rural and city areas. I feel like that'll be a bit more enriching. Thank you so much for this!

I've been doing a lot of urban health equity work the past few years, but I'm getting more drawn to NEOMED due to its location and proximity to both rural and city areas. I feel like that'll be a bit more enriching. Thank you so much for this!
Familiar with the area; campus is very rural but close to a large public college town and not too far from Akron, Canton, Cleveland. I think it's a good spot for a wide range of opportunities

OOS secondary received today. Added the school to my list on July 17th (verified on May 28).

Does neomed send an application complete email once they receive everything?

anyone still waiting for confirmation email that the application is complete? submitted mine 7/23/21 and still haven't gotten anything

anyone still waiting for confirmation email that the application is complete? submitted mine 7/23/21 and still haven't gotten anything
NEOMED does it manually, and it's a very small staff.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email saying that my primary application is under review. How long did it take y'all to receive your secondary after getting this email?

Just got an email saying that my primary application is under review. How long did it take y'all to receive your secondary after getting this email?
+1 on this. Finding this pretty odd considering friends of mine with similar stats have already received their secondary

+1 on this. Finding this pretty odd considering friends of mine with similar stats have already received their secondary
Ikr! I've read the email 3 times already lol.... hoping for some love because this is one of my top 4

Recieved secondary application yesterday. EDP and IS.

I got this email yesterday afternoon and just got an invitation to complete the secondary. IS.

OOS secondary received one day after first email.

Secondary Received today. Given that they said:

"Candidates whose credentials present a clear and compelling case for admission consideration in a screening review are quickly invited to complete a NEOMED secondary application. Candidates that are not in a clear position to meet admission criteria are neither invited to complete the secondary application, nor are they immediately denied in AMCAS. "

Does this just mean you meet pre-reqs, GPA/MCAT requirements if you get a secondary? Or is it more specific? How many secondaries do they send out?

Does this just mean you meet pre-reqs, GPA/MCAT requirements if you get a secondary? Or is it more specific? How many secondaries do they send out?

It's probably more than just GPA+MCAT as they don't seem to send 2° automatically (based on the times of their arrival during business hours and not arriving right away).

Secondary Received today. Given that they said:

"Candidates whose credentials present a clear and compelling case for admission consideration in a screening review are quickly invited to complete a NEOMED secondary application. Candidates that are not in a clear position to meet admission criteria are neither invited to complete the secondary application, nor are they immediately denied in AMCAS. "

I'm curious how much of this delay is due to covid vs how much like us. If you got the secondary on the 16th vs the 22nd does that mean you are less desirable or were they behind? What about the ones getting it now?

It's probably more than just GPA+MCAT as they don't seem to send 2° automatically (based on the times of their arrival during business hours and not arriving right away).
Every school has to filter applicants in some manner and at some point in the application process.
This school seems to begin its filtering process by only sending secondary applications to some students.
The MSAR numbers indicate a little under 4000 people had complete applications and I'm pretty sure more than that sent their primaries to NEOMed.
If you have access to the MSAR, you can also look at the US map showing which states had matriculants (about 15 states).
So while none of you can really know exactly what they are looking for when they review your primary application, if you know you have sent all you need to send, I don't think it will help to email them and ask about a secondary. :shy:

Every school has to filter applicants in some manner and at some point in the application process.
This school seems to begin its filtering process by only sending secondary applications to some students.
The MSAR numbers indicate a little under 4000 people had complete applications and I'm pretty sure more than that sent their primaries to NEOMed.
If you have access to the MSAR, you can also look at the US map showing which states had matriculants (about 15 states).
So while none of you can really know exactly what they are looking for when they review your primary application, if you know you have sent all you need to send, I don't think it will help to email them and ask about a secondary. :shy:
Makes sense - I wasn't going to email them, I was just curious. I'm a nontrad on the lower end with stats, and had been feeling less than optimistic about my chances the past couple weeks. So it's nice to know I made it through one level of application review for at least one school, and I'm not just handing over money and essays for secondaries to no end.

I'm curious how much of this delay is due to covid vs how much like us. If you got the secondary on the 16th vs the 22nd does that mean you are less desirable or were they behind? What about the ones getting it now?
It also probably depends on when you were verified. I only got verified a couple weeks ago so makes sense it would have taken a couple weeks to get to my application.

It also probably depends on when you were verified. I only got verified a couple weeks ago so makes sense it would have taken a couple weeks to get to my application.
True I'm just wondering to what extent your app is less desirable if you get the secondary later. If it's a week difference does that matter or should you worry if you get it a couple weeks or longer?

True I'm just wondering to what extent your app is less desirable if you get the secondary later. If it's a week difference does that matter or should you worry if you get it a couple weeks or longer?
I have no idea I'm sorry! But if I had to guess I would think they send them out when they get to your application? I got my 'application under review' email one day before I got the secondary if that's any help.

Guys, it's not like there's a single person reviewing them. If medical schools work like any of my two universities there is a group and each member gets a packet of apps to get through for the initial check-up. They go through them in sometimes semi-random order, some of the members do it quicker than other. That means you can get on the person 1 pile who's faster or on the person 2 pile which is slower. A week of a difference is literally nothing.

Guys, it's not like there's a single person reviewing them. If medical schools work like any of my two universities there is a group and each member gets a packet of apps to get through for the initial check-up. They go through them in sometimes semi-random order, some of the members do it quicker than other. That means you can get on the person 1 pile who's faster or on the person 2 pile which is slower. A week of a difference is literally nothing.
Cool thanks the way they worded it makes it look like the most desirable candidates got the secondaries first.

Cool thanks the way they worded it makes it look like the most desirable candidates got the secondaries first.
I know right! Their first email (primary received) really made me nervous.... I was like is this a subtle rejection

Because it's true - some candidates will be put into the "less desirable" group for a couple of months. From what I was told by one of the schools they come back to these candidates when they conducted around half of the prescribed interviews to give a chance to lower stats candidates.

I know right! Their first email (primary received) really made me nervous.... I was like is this a subtle rejection
I believe they just want to state the expectations straight to our faces as they want to prevent as many e-mails with "where's my 2°?!" as possible ;)

• Haha
For the question "Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations?"

should we mention tickets or not?

• Haha