2019-2020 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind letting me know what they told you after your interview last year? Was it grades/MCAT or experience? I'm confused why they offer interviews when they know they want you to be a better applicant, it's almost like false hope

Yeah, so I'm a non-trad career switcher. They didn't have a prob with my grades or MCAT, though personally I don't find them very stellar lol I think both are below avg. They said if they give you an interview, your gpa/MCAT are fine. My issue was that I lacked shadowing (I had international shadowing my interviewer did not think was valid) and for some odd reason my interviewer thought my hospital volunteer hours (about 200 at the time) from OHSU should be looked at as showing that I know a way around a hospital but not a "clinical" because I didn't work directly with doctors. I got a flat R after the interview. Funny part was, when I did an after cycle review with OHSU, my reviewer said those hours at OHSU should have counted as clinical. The other med school I interviewed at last year got me to a high priority waitlist because they counted all my volunteer hours as well as international shadowing (also I did better at the interview...OHSU was my first one). At the exit review OHSU also said that my biggest problem (besides clinical and shadowing) was they weren't clear why I wanted to do medicine.

Last cycle was a very confusing experience...

Anyway, I added about 100 hrs of US doctor shadowing and got a scribing job before applying this cycle. Fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone bring an umbrella to their interview? Not sure if it's worth the hassel...

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! :)

I'm an IS reapplicant and am just so relieved. I can't wait to start this journey. Good luck everyone, I know you will get some good news soon.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Accepted! :)

I'm an IS reapplicant and am just so relieved. I can't wait to start this journey. Good luck everyone, I know you will get some good news soon.

Congratulations! When did you interview?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, so I'm a non-trad career switcher. They didn't have a prob with my grades or MCAT, though personally I don't find them very stellar lol I think both are below avg. They said if they give you an interview, your gpa/MCAT are fine. My issue was that I lacked shadowing (I had international shadowing my interviewer did not think was valid) and for some odd reason my interviewer thought my hospital volunteer hours (about 200 at the time) from OHSU should be looked at as showing that I know a way around a hospital but not a "clinical" because I didn't work directly with doctors. I got a flat R after the interview. Funny part was, when I did an after cycle review with OHSU, my reviewer said those hours at OHSU should have counted as clinical. The other med school I interviewed at last year got me to a high priority waitlist because they counted all my volunteer hours as well as international shadowing (also I did better at the interview...OHSU was my first one). At the exit review OHSU also said that my biggest problem (besides clinical and shadowing) was they weren't clear why I wanted to do medicine.

Last cycle was a very confusing experience...

Anyway, I added about 100 hrs of US doctor shadowing and got a scribing job before applying this cycle. Fingers crossed.
Oh wow, the shadowing one is frustrating to hear, I'm sorry! I know OHSU is really focused on making sure you are dedicated to medicine and they want to see that through shadowing, but in your case you had that! I really hope this year is better for you. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow, the shadowing one is frustrating to hear, I'm sorry! I know OHSU is really focused on making sure you are dedicated to medicine and they want to see that through shadowing, but in your case you had that! I really hope this year is better for you. Good luck!!
Thank you! Good luck to you as well! : )

Does anyone know if OHSU takes letters of intent? I interviewed on 10/22 and no word... no hold or rejection. I’m worried that they may be leaning more towards the R

I've been seeing a lot of questions like that, their front office is very receptive to stuff like that, but don't expect it to make it to your ADCOMS. They are slow and meticulous, but they have a system. I don't even interview until February and I got my II in mid November. I don't think pre-II updates or letters of intent will have any impact IMO.

Does anyone know if OHSU takes letters of intent? I interviewed on 10/22 and no word... no hold or rejection. I’m worried that they may be leaning more towards the R

I am a reapplicant to OHSU. First time I applied I got interviewed, waitlisted and then never got off. Everyone post interview who doesn't get in is allowed a feedback session. During my feedback session, she actually told me that they (admissions committee) read all of my updates. I sent a "Final Update" prior to my interview (this is one they ask for in your interview invite email). I sent an update after I was put on Hold post interview. I sent a third letter to write my intent. I know for a fact that my letter of intent was read by the committee, because she said someone on the committee said I should gain more rural medicine experience (I wrote in my letter of intent that the Family Medicine rural rotations is one of the reasons why I wanted to go to OHSU).

TLDR: Send the letter. Somehow, I don't know how, it does and will get read. It may not change your ranking on the waitlist come April, it may not "re-open" your file, but if you want it to be read, it will be.

So I volunteer at OHSU every Friday afternoon. I have been seeing people walk around today during interviews and it kills me....
Tears to me and all of my fellow Oregonians who haven’t gotten an interview yet!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 10/24 and got the Hold today (via portal, no email). Honestly just relieved to see some movement!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on hold today, interviewed 10/1.

Anyone from 11/5 interview get an initial decision back yet? (Either hold, A or R?) I was told 1-4 weeks to initially hear back, but I'm just assuming they are very far behind...
I interviewed 11/5 and havent heard anything. Sending you good vibes~~

Giving a shout out to all applicants. It’s a long process, and I wanted to encourage you all! (I know I need this encouragement too) Keep your heads up future doctors!! =)

Reactions: 6 users
Have any MD/PhD applicants heard anything back yet?

So I volunteer at OHSU every Friday afternoon. I have been seeing people walk around today during interviews and it kills me....
Tears to me and all of my fellow Oregonians who haven’t gotten an interview yet!

I just want you to know that I have been there before!! And I feel your pain. Hope you are taking good care of yourself - talking with people about your emotions, exercising, eating right. I think non-medicine people who are our loved ones and friends sometimes don't understand how isolating and at times demoralizing this application process can be. You are definitely not alone! Keep your head up!! The first time I applied two years ago, my defense mechanism was to try and strengthen my application in case I needed to reapply. Of course that was just a band aid and I had to deal with deeper issues later (like the pain of not getting in the first time I applied) -- but moral of the story, it may seem like you can't do anything right now, but if medicine really is what you want to do --it's not irrational to work on a Plan B so you can reapply stronger and better, if need be! Sending you so much love <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Edit: TLDR -- Coming up with a Plan B path to medical school helped soothe my pain while I was waiting for interviews. Maybe it will help you too.

Reactions: 3 users
1/10/20, on hold. Interview end of October. IS re-applicant.

Took the Pre-II axe on 1/7. No email. Good luck to everyone else!

I’m OOS (but graduated from an OR HS) and have not heard anything since submitting my secondary. Is there any hope for me?

I’m OOS (but graduated from an OR HS) and have not heard anything since submitting my secondary. Is there any hope for me?

I believe OHSU interviews through April. So there is still hope for you!

I believe OHSU interviews through April. So there is still hope for you!

Apologies, I stand corrected. This is from their website under FAQ: Admissions | OHSU. "We generally interview 20 applicants per day, one to two days per week, from mid-September through March."

Apologies, I stand corrected. This is from their website under FAQ: Admissions | OHSU. "We generally interview 20 applicants per day, one to two days per week, from mid-September through March."

I think you were correct the first time. This is direct from my portal:

“With roughly 570 interviews conducted over the course of seven months (September to April) and a limited number of placements to offer...”

I think you were correct the first time. This is direct from my portal:

“With roughly 570 interviews conducted over the course of seven months (September to April) and a limited number of placements to offer...”

Thanks for sharing that info! One of my biggest pet peeves is when medical schools do not update their websites or have inconsistent information!!!!!!

Just wanted to ask as I will be applying next year if my canadian cycle doesn't go well. As a fellow OR resident, if I apply to MD-PhD and get an interview but get rejected do I still have a chance for MD?

Just wanted to ask as I will be applying next year if my canadian cycle doesn't go well. As a fellow OR resident, if I apply to MD-PhD and get an interview but get rejected do I still have a chance for MD?

Under current status: "Interviews complete; declined applications sent to the MD program for screening to interview for their program"
I read "declined applications" to mean "all rejected applicants, pre or post II"

Under current status: "Interviews complete; declined applications sent to the MD program for screening to interview for their program"
I read "declined applications" to mean "all rejected applicants, pre or post II"

Just to clarify, based on the website, it sounds like if you do not receive an interview from the MD/PhD program, then your app is sent to the MD program for screening to interview. However, if you are granted an MD/PhD interview but get rejected post interview -- I can't imagine that you still have a chance at MD.

The reason I say this is because there is overlap in the MD/PhD interview day. The MD/PhD students still do the same MMI's as regular MD applicants. At least in my interview day, I'd say at least 8 were MD/PhD. So if the website says that declined applications are sent to the MD program for screening to interview for their program - that doesn't make sense, because MD/PhD candidates who are invited to interview will have already taken part in the regular MD interview process, have already done their MMI. Hope that helps.

Just to clarify, based on the website, it sounds like if you do not receive an interview from the MD/PhD program, then your app is sent to the MD program for screening to interview. However, if you are granted an MD/PhD interview but get rejected post interview -- I can't imagine that you still have a chance at MD.

The reason I say this is because there is overlap in the MD/PhD interview day. The MD/PhD students still do the same MMI's as regular MD applicants. At least in my interview day, I'd say at least 8 were MD/PhD. So if the website says that declined applications are sent to the MD program for screening to interview for their program - that doesn't make sense, because MD/PhD candidates who are invited to interview will have already taken part in the regular MD interview process, have already done their MMI. Hope that helps.

Couldn't an MD/PhD applicant who fails to qualify for the MD/PhD program be evaluated by the MD program based on the same interview and application? Assuming an MD/PhD program is looking for a different set of experiences/skills, wouldn't it make sense that the MD program could use the same application and evaluate the applicant for fit into the MD only program?

Couldn't an MD/PhD applicant who fails to qualify for the MD/PhD program be evaluated by the MD program based on the same interview and application? Assuming an MD/PhD program is looking for a different set of experiences/skills, wouldn't it make sense that the MD program could use the same application and evaluate the applicant for fit into the MD only program?

Oh, that does make sense. I hope that they do that!

Ok so if you do not make the MD/PhD acceptance in March, do you get sent to be re-evaluated in the MD pool?

Ok so if you do not make the MD/PhD acceptance in March, do you get sent to be re-evaluated in the MD pool?

I would call to ask, because I don't know, but I think they should be more transparent about that! It would be worth asking.

Found out I got rejected through the portal several days ago, which honestly makes sense as I'm not in any of their preferred groups. Liked the school but I will probably be more realistic and not reapply next year.

Found out I got rejected through the portal several days ago, which honestly makes sense as I'm not in any of their preferred groups. Liked the school but I will probably be more realistic and not reapply next year.
I’m sorry. :( I think you and I are in the same boat. When were you complete?

I'm sorry! Where does it say this on the portal -- struggling to decipher their old-school portal.

Starting to feel like I have a 0% chance of getting an II...

Hang in there mate. Look at past threads and you’ll see that invites were offered into late Jan/feb if not later.

Worst case scenario, use the next several months to strengthen your app. Med school isn’t going anywhere, take a deep breath!

Reactions: 6 users