2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
March 20th here. I'll see you out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my app this week after being placed on waitlist post-interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For any students accepted off of the waitlist last cycle: do you know when the latest person had been accepted?

I'm still hopeful for an acceptance but being accepted the day before classes is giving me anxiety because of financial aid stuff, housing, and that sort of thing. I have a small kiddo;so, that's a large reasom why I'm nervous.

Thank anyone in advance

For any students accepted off of the waitlist last cycle: do you know when the latest person had been accepted?

I'm still hopeful for an acceptance but being accepted the day before classes is giving me anxiety because of financial aid stuff, housing, and that sort of thing. I have a small kiddo;so, that's a large reasom why I'm nervous.

Thank anyone in advance
The last person was accepted either the Thursday or Friday of orientation week I believe. I know that thinking about something like that is a big stressor, but if it happens you are still accepted and that’s what counts.

As far as financial aid is concerned apply for it now. You can apply for the financial aid for multiple schools (10 I think) during each cycle. It is only distributed to that school if they accept you, but if you do not have the application in, then they are unable to process and accept you.

Housing can be an issue, it all depends on your families needs. I am married, have two kids and a few dogs...it was hard for me to find housing that allowed for all of that, but were able to get it figured out. There housing options very close to the school that are decent, I have heard that Selah and Moxie have some good options. Be wary of Craigslist, if I’m doubt call a real estate agent, they may be able to assist you in seeing if it is a legit listing.

For anyone on the waitlist, I would advise you not to withdrawal your application unless you are accepted to another school or decide that this is not the right school for you. In last years cycle they went beyond their top ranked 30 applicants. This has happened for the past several years. Some list movement can occur at any time, but the biggest moves really come mid June through July. I know it’s rough but try not to let your nerves get the better of you.

Depending on when you had your interview and what you have going on, you could always consider sending an update letter or letter of intent to the school as well. But I would make sure that if you are to do those things that you include meaningful experiences or material that you feel would make you a better candidate for the school.And once you submit it, you can follow up to ensure they received it, but I would personally not pester them beyond that.

Last but not least...I saw someone post a few pages back about thank you letters. I am not trying to knock them, but what is the justification for not sending a thank you letter to the people that were involved in your possible advancement into medicine? Some of the people who are helping through the interview process are actually missing their classes and have to make up that time later so they can help to ensure the best candidates are selected for the school. And the faculty really do care about making sure the right people are selected because at some point you will be their colleague. I personally see it as a sign of respect for these folks and honestly it is the least you could do to show that you appreciate them.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this info is helpful. Myself and a few of my classmates pop in every know and again om the forum so feel free to ask more questions. We will see what we can do to help.

Good Luck!

The last person was accepted either the Thursday or Friday of orientation week I believe. I know that thinking about something like that is a big stressor, but if it happens you are still accepted and that’s what counts.

As far as financial aid is concerned apply for it now. You can apply for the financial aid for multiple schools (10 I think) during each cycle. It is only distributed to that school if they accept you, but if you do not have the application in, then they are unable to process and accept you.

Housing can be an issue, it all depends on your families needs. I am married, have two kids and a few dogs...it was hard for me to find housing that allowed for all of that, but were able to get it figured out. There housing options very close to the school that are decent, I have heard that Selah and Moxie have some good options. Be wary of Craigslist, if I’m doubt call a real estate agent, they may be able to assist you in seeing if it is a legit listing.

For anyone on the waitlist, I would advise you not to withdrawal your application unless you are accepted to another school or decide that this is not the right school for you. In last years cycle they went beyond their top ranked 30 applicants. This has happened for the past several years. Some list movement can occur at any time, but the biggest moves really come mid June through July. I know it’s rough but try not to let your nerves get the better of you.

Depending on when you had your interview and what you have going on, you could always consider sending an update letter or letter of intent to the school as well. But I would make sure that if you are to do those things that you include meaningful experiences or material that you feel would make you a better candidate for the school.And once you submit it, you can follow up to ensure they received it, but I would personally not pester them beyond that.

Last but not least...I saw someone post a few pages back about thank you letters. I am not trying to knock them, but what is the justification for not sending a thank you letter to the people that were involved in your possible advancement into medicine? Some of the people who are helping through the interview process are actually missing their classes and have to make up that time later so they can help to ensure the best candidates are selected for the school. And the faculty really do care about making sure the right people are selected because at some point you will be their colleague. I personally see it as a sign of respect for these folks and honestly it is the least you could do to show that you appreciate them.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this info is helpful. Myself and a few of my classmates pop in every know and again om the forum so feel free to ask more questions. We will see what we can do to help.

Good Luck!
Thank you for posting this. It is definitely reassuring :)

Good Luck!

Thanks for your response.
Do you know if it’s common for waitlisted individuals to receive an acceptance during the regular cycle?

Thanks for your response.
Do you know if it’s common for waitlisted individuals to receive an acceptance during the regular cycle?

I have heard that they have done this in previous years, but it doesn’t sound like they have pulled a lot of people off during the regular cycle. There is quite a bit of movement in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I have heard that they have done this in previous years, but it doesn’t sound like they have pulled a lot of people off during the regular cycle. There is quite a bit of movement in the summer.

Thank you!

Good Luck!
By applying for financial aid, do you just mean FAFSA?

By applying for financial aid, do you just mean FAFSA?

Yes. If you have your FAFSA completed and you are approved the money is available for the financial aid folks at the school. You should still have to sign some documents for the school to pull it out, but that takes seconds to get done. I know of at least two people that were accepted during orientation week, they both had their FA approved and had no issues when it came to that.

Yes. If you have your FAFSA completed and you are approved the money is available for the financial aid folks at the school. You should still have to sign some documents for the school to pull it out, but that takes seconds to get done. I know of at least two people that were accepted during orientation week, they both had their FA approved and had no issues when it came to that.
Thank you! I'm really holding out hope for an acceptance this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good Luck!

As others have said, thanks for a great response with a ton of information. It is hard to not let the nerves get to you.

I have a question you may have some idea of how to approach. I was accepted to another school that starts a couple weeks earlier than PNWU. PNWU is my top choice, so I would much rather go here. But being on the waitlist and not knowing if I will be accepted, and if so when, I have to at least assume I won't and make arrangements for living at this other location. That being said, since housing does not appear in abundance in Yakima, do you recommend reaching out to different apartment complexes and letting them know my situation so that I may be placed on a waitlist just in case I get accepted off WL close to the start date of classes? I'm holding off as long as possible for finding housing near the other school because of this.

I was accepted to another school that starts a couple weeks earlier than PNWU. PNWU is my top choice, so I would much rather go here. But being on the waitlist and not knowing if I will be accepted, and if so when, I have to at least assume I won't and make arrangements for living at this other location. That being said, since housing does not appear in abundance in Yakima, do you recommend reaching out to different apartment complexes and letting them know my situation so that I may be placed on a waitlist just in case I get accepted off WL close to the start date of classes? I'm holding off as long as possible for finding housing near the other school because of this.
First of all congratulations on an acceptance! I wouldn’t worry about contacting any housing complexes at this point. Housing can potentially be rough to find, but it’s very dependent on what you are looking for. Personally, I had a hard time, but that was because I needed several bedrooms and a place that would allow me to have two dogs (one of which is large) and a few other things. If it was just me or my wife and I, it would have been much much easier to find a suitable place. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people at PNWU leave in their 3rd year for rotations elsewhere. That means they are giving up their housing, so a lot of places open up August/July. While this sounds too late for you, it’s not. A lot of the rental companies know this and will allow accepted students to take over the lease of students that are leaving for their rotations. There are also usually some students looking for roommates, which can make it more affordable as well.

I think they posted the Waitlist ranking in early May of last year. This will hopefully give you an indication of where you stand on that front at least.

Good luck!

First of all congratulations on an acceptance! I wouldn’t worry about contacting any housing complexes at this point. Housing can potentially be rough to find, but it’s very dependent on what you are looking for. Personally, I had a hard time, but that was because I needed several bedrooms and a place that would allow me to have two dogs (one of which is large) and a few other things. If it was just me or my wife and I, it would have been much much easier to find a suitable place. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people at PNWU leave in their 3rd year for rotations elsewhere. That means they are giving up their housing, so a lot of places open up August/July. While this sounds too late for you, it’s not. A lot of the rental companies know this and will allow accepted students to take over the lease of students that are leaving for their rotations. There are also usually some students looking for roommates, which can make it more affordable as well.

I think they posted the Waitlist ranking in early May of last year. This will hopefully give you an indication of where you stand on that front at least.

Good luck!

Thank you! It is definitely making me nervous knowing that my two schools run on two different start dates and not knowing exactly which location to seriously look into housing, but I think with the 3rd years leaving around the time, even a late acceptance means I could still be ok with finding housing. Let's hope I hear some good news in May so I know where I rank! :)

anyone heard from January 31 interview date?

While I didn't interview on that date, from my experience as well as what I've heard from others, PNWU is really good about delivering their decisions 14 days from the interview.

So good luck! Be sure to check your email after 5 PST, and keep your phone handy!

Got the acceptance call this morning!! I interviewed January 31st!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! So I put a deposit down for the UP apartments by campus several months ago and they have not contacted me since the confirmation. Can anyone speak on what the process is to secure a spot at the apartments as it gets closer to matriculation?
OMS I here. I never had issues with securing a spot at UP and they're pretty responsive. Just call or email Devin the manager, hes great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

First of all, congrats on getting in. I reccomend you place yourself on the University Apartments waitlist now. Theyll reach out once something opens and give you the lease to sign so, you're not technically in a contract until something opens and you give them a signature and deposit. But that waitlist can get pretty long. I remember placing myself on the waitlist sometime in February and I didnt hear back until June.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Man I love how they represent Match data on the website :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else interviewing next Friday?!

Interviewing March 20th, looking forward to it !!!

Hey guys, I am coming for interview Next Friday, and will be driving from Sea/Tac, does anyone know if I should be worried about road conditions with the snow, or does the state clear the roads usually? I am just a little worried because I am not used to driving in icy conditions.

Hey guys, I am coming for interview Next Friday, and will be driving from Sea/Tac, does anyone know if I should be worried about road conditions with the snow, or does the state clear the roads usually? I am just a little worried because I am not used to driving in icy conditions.
It's going to be snowing this weekend but it will be all clear by Thurs/Fri. You should be fine. Good luck!

Anyone body got the email staying some 2/28 spots might become available?

Withdrew my II in April.
Received an email from Hope saying that currently there is no movement on the waitlist for earlier II

For anyone in Yakima tonight and interviewing tomorrow, if you want to grab a bite and exercise your linguistical dexterity, I'll be at 'The Thai House' around 5pm. I'll probably be the only person by myself and I'll tell the host to direct "interviewees" to my/our table(s). PM me if you want. Good luck tomorrow everyone, see you in the morning.

Reactions: 3 users
Who is the director of admissions here? I have a guess but I am not entirely sure.

I might drop my II here. Ngl I’m a bit paranoid about the Coronavirus outbreak in Washington state. (I know that it’s mainly around Seattle) :/ someone want to provide some reassurance ?

I might drop my II here. Ngl I’m a bit paranoid about the Coronavirus outbreak in Washington state. (I know that it’s mainly around Seattle) :/ someone want to provide some reassurance ?
Definitely don't cancel your interview at PNWU because of the coronavirus unless you really don't wanna go to the school. Besides, the outbreak is mostly with older adults and in a nursing home in north Seattle and it seems to be fine outside of that (I live in the Seattle area). Yakima is a couple hours outside of Seattle anyway. Wash your hands, etc... and you'll be fine imo

If you don't already have an acceptance to a school where you'd like to go, canceling an ii is not wise.

Coronavirus is showing up throughout the country. Either way you’ll eventually encounter it in med school......so why would you sabotage a chance for medical school unless you have already been accepted to a med school you know you’re going to? PNWU has also increased infection control procedures and is monitoring. They’re not going to have you come in and get exposed to a virus because they aren’t taking good precautions-they’re watching it and adjusting to infection control needs.

Coronavirus is showing up throughout the country. Either way you’ll eventually encounter it in med school......so why would you sabotage a chance for medical school unless you have already been accepted to a med school you know you’re going to? PNWU has also increased infection control procedures and is monitoring. They’re not going to have you come in and get exposed to a virus because they aren’t taking good precautions-they’re watching it and adjusting to infection control needs.

this is reassuring. Ok then. Yeah I’ve been flying around the country these past few months for interviews. No acceptances yet

this is reassuring. Ok then. Yeah I’ve been flying around the country these past few months for interviews. No acceptances yet

You are going to do great. It’s just like pretty much any virus, use good sense and wash your hands. :) Looking forward to meeting you!

Hey does anyone have an informed opinion if April interviews are strictly for the waitlist, or if you impress might they still be saving room to directly accept those who interview in April? Also is having Spanish language skills as big of a plus as I think it will be given the demographics of the communities that they serve in Yakima?

If they have interview dates then there are still spots to offer, however, the competitiveness for said spots is hella high. If you do not have any As, I would focus on improving your apps for next cycle.

Hey does anyone have an informed opinion if April interviews are strictly for the waitlist, or if you impress might they still be saving room to directly accept those who interview in April? Also is having Spanish language skills as big of a plus as I think it will be given the demographics of the communities that they serve in Yakima?

Last year, when I interviewed on the March Interview day, we received an email stating the class was nearly full and most seats had been offered and that we may only receive a waitlist offer. It truly depends on the year and how many people take their acceptances. I think the likelihood of you interviewing for a non-waitlist spot is pretty low in April, but you still have a great chance of getting on the waitlist and then being accepted in later months.

And yes, since there are many migrant workers in the area who speak Spanish, it would be a great skill to have!

I have a low GPA but a 3.9 DIY transcript repair over 70 credits and a 516 MCAT, I am hoping that the MCAT gives me a chance, but I am cautiously pessimistic.

pretty sure that might be the highest mcat at pnwu lol if you show your dedicated to their mission/are a good fit, I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t get in