2019-2020 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow how long is the drive from Houston to El Paso?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Like 10-11 hrs if you don’t stop. Better to fly IMO.

EDIT: Meant to say “better to fly” instead of “better to drive”.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It took me about 11 hours. It was grueling but way cheaper than flying

I also drove out. Headed out from Houston at 5am and reached around 3ish. It was long but much less expensive than flying out. It was interesting drive, and especially scenic in the last few hours closer to El Paso

I met an interviewee who took a bus to El Paso. Not sure how long that would take from Houston.

I think for a bus you’re looking at about a 15-17 hour commute bc they drive slower and take longer when refilling for gas + bathroom breaks. I chose against it bc of the time and also since I’d still have to Uber around once I got to El Paso which would knock me $20-$50 down. W driving myself I think I wasted $80-100 for that whole weekend and that was just on gas.

I also drove out. Headed out from Houston at 5am and reached around 3ish. It was long but much less expensive than flying out. It was interesting drive, and especially scenic in the last few hours closer to El Paso

Man my last few hours a huge storm hit. That was the most surreal drive I’ve had. Just silently driving towards a huge wall of dark clouds and blinding rain. I was so terrified lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Man my last few hours a huge storm hit. That was the most surreal drive I’ve had. Just silently driving towards a huge wall of dark clouds and blinding rain. I was so terrified lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaand that’s why I chose to fly, lol. 2 hour nonstop round trip flight with one night of hotel was under $400 from HTX with Southwest. Free shuttle to hotel and got plenty of food options within walking distance, so saves on Doordash fees. Only uber cost is to the interview since the school shuttles back to airport.

Plus I drive an older car with chronic problems, so the thought of it breaking down in the desert washed away any thoughts of driving there, haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, El Paso is the second cheapest school in the United States. Lubbock is the cheapest. (UPR is not in a state). These two are even cheaper than tuition free NYU Grossman Langone due to the high cost of living in Manhattan.

I think medical students in either Lubbock or El Paso or in any public medical schools in Texas can certainly afford airplane rides since they made the smartest financial decisions than any other medical students in the United States. So please don’t drive 10 hours once you are in.

Well, El Paso is the second cheapest school in the United States. Lubbock is the cheapest. (UPR is not in a state). These two are even cheaper than tuition free NYU Grossman Langone due to the high cost of living in Manhattan.

I think medical students in either Lubbock or El Paso or in any public medical schools in Texas can certainly afford airplane rides since they made the smartest financial decisions than any other medical students in the United States. So please don’t drive 10 hours once you are in.

This is...flawed. Just because the school is low-cost compared to other med schools doesn't mean students suddenly have more disposable money laying around, and just because students are in debt 150k instead of 300k doesn't mean air travel becomes affordable. If you're living on loans, you can only live on what the school determines the CoA to be, and the budget is extremely tight no matter which school you're at.

Reactions: 2 users
This is...flawed. Just because the school is low-cost compared to other med schools doesn't mean students suddenly have more disposable money laying around, and just because students are in debt 150k instead of 300k doesn't mean air travel becomes affordable. If you're living on loans, you can only live on what the school determines the CoA to be, and the budget is extremely tight no matter which school you're at.

Yup, after flying to Lubbock, my funds were depleted. I had to bank on my El Paso trip being less than $100 because that’s all I could afford and luckily it was. Wether I’m interviewing at El Paso or Harvard, I’ll still be poor. This process is stressful as it is and adding on the emotional stress of trying to afford your interview trips adds another layer of obstacles for low SES applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if we can still hear back for an II? I called admissions a few weeks back and they said they do not accept any pre-II update letters

Does anyone know if we can still hear back for an II? I called admissions a few weeks back and they said they do not accept any pre-II update letters

They have two dates left, so there’s a chance you can hear back if they have any slots left or if someone cancels.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have two dates left, so there’s a chance you can hear back if they have any slots left or if someone cancels.

thank you! If I am unable to send an update letter, what else could I do other than wait?

I have a question,

Did anybody that had an interview already, and got the email about the eRaider username & password on Thanksgiving try to log in to the sites? I followed the instructions in the email, and was able to activate my account and everything that day. I called the following monday after I received the email and was told it didn't mean anything... but ever since, I've been able to have more and more access to other portals. I can even log in to the "student.ttuhsc.edu" portal, and when I log in it has my name and everything. I don't have the TTUHSC email yet, or the R number, or an acceptance (didn't get pre-matched =[ ) It just seems strange that I have [limited] access to all of this, and wanted to know if anyone has had similar experiences, or if I should take it as a good sign...waiting until match day is killing me.

Best,

-A

Does El Paso send a letter by mail to all of their interviewees after the interview?

Can anyone say what the breakfast was? Last year I believe it was cookies and coffee. Hoping it’s different this cycle.

Can anyone say what the breakfast was? Last year I believe it was cookies and coffee. Hoping it’s different this cycle.

It’s cookies and coffee again.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what's for lunch for interviews? Also is there assigned seating during lunch? Because I know at some other schools they like to make sure applicants are mixed with the faculty and students

I think it was like salad and quesadilla/taco. Some sort of Mexican food.

You sit wherever you want.

how long does it generally take for our status to update to "interviewed", since match preferences are due next week?

They update pretty quick, you should contact the school by Tuesday if you have not seen the ranking.
On another note, Im sure many of us have already made decisions to attend Paul Foster already. Hopefully we will soon set up a Facebook page for Class of 2024 soon. I would love to get to know all of you guys.

Once they release the accepted applicants, Paul Foster’s student council will set up the FB page for the Class of 2024.

School rank preference showed up for those who interviewed today! Haha they got it updated really fast for us lol

School rank preference showed up for those who interviewed today! Haha they got it updated really fast for us lol

Damn they had an interview the day before the ranking deadline?

its going to be a loooong two weeks till match day :uhno:

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if everyone gets on the alternate list? Or is it only a select few who are invited?

Woot El Paso, here I come! Good luck to everyone and glad to be part of this family!

No match. Does match day fill all spots or does it leave some open for medical schools to make offers still?

I matched! Pretty excited. I wonder what house I'll end up in haha

Matched here. Does anyone know how to pay the placement guarantee fee? I put in my credit card info and then it makes me log in again and it doesn't look like the payment worked.

No match. Does match day fill all spots or does it leave some open for medical schools to make offers still?
School can still pull from the waitlist. So anything can happen from now till June.

Pay the deposit and you will receive information regarding immunization, background check, etc

Matched!! So excited to join this community! How are you guys getting the information about the deposit?

You log into the portal, the link should be there

The school will likely update it soon. Be patient, they likely just received news about the match and will need time to reach to each student for more information.

Congratulations on everyone who matched or prematched to El Paso! I'm a current MS1 and can tell you that this school is amazing. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Congrats to everyone who will be coming here next year.
Also current MS1, feel free to DM or post questions.

Congrats to everyone who will be coming here next year.
Also current MS1, feel free to DM or post questions.

I am OOS, interviewed on September 19th and had great feedback from both interviewers but I haven’t heard anything back yet. Previous people have commented that OOS students can be accepted anytime after October 15th, but it seems like PLFSOM has accepted little to none IS or OOS until today. Since I don’t participate in the match, what is the timeline for getting an update on my application? I checked TMDSAS and my PLFSOM secondary portal but nothing yet.

I'm trying to accept the offer in the portal but I can't click on anything lol

I'm trying to accept the offer in the portal but I can't click on anything lol
Same here. The only thing standing in my way is a technical glitch! I bet we are fine though. We have two weeks to figure this out. Go PLFSOM Class of 2024!

I am OOS, interviewed on September 19th and had great feedback from both interviewers but I haven’t heard anything back yet. Previous people have commented that OOS students can be accepted anytime after October 15th, but it seems like PLFSOM has accepted little to none IS or OOS until today. Since I don’t participate in the match, what is the timeline for getting an update on my application? I checked TMDSAS and my PLFSOM secondary portal but nothing yet.

My understanding is that it is a rolling admission. Unfortunately, I'm not OOS so I can't confirm.