2019-2020 UCLA PRIME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-writing and a little confused on the question "What is the most important social issue confronting the health of disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?".

For "first steps", are they looking for what I would do as a medical student? Or as a physician?

Pre-writing and a little confused on the question "What is the most important social issue confronting the health of disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?".

For "first steps", are they looking for what I would do as a medical student? Or as a physician?
I think neither. Anyone can try to address a social issue without being either one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
ALL 2000 characters
What is the most important social issue confronting the health of disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?

In what way will graduating from PRIME-LA and obtaining a master's degree enhance your career in health care or health services for disadvantaged communities? (If you are considering a specific master’s degree (e.g. MPP, MPH, MBA, etc.), please incorporate your graduate degree plans or aspirations into your answer)

Describe the manner in which your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, underserved communities.

What are your greatest strengths and your greatest challenges as you approach medical school?

What is your most memorable experience as it relates to working with vulnerable populations?

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
If you apply to UCLA-Geffen PRIME and was not considered, does this automatically put you into regular MD consideration?

So I had been told by several medical students that PRIME was always marked on the secondary. So I was waiting for that secondary and realized that it was actually supposed to be marked on the primary application with MD/MPH. Now I have a secondary for David geffen but not for prime. I resubmitted my application with UCLA marked as MD/MPH, does anyone know if this will fix it? Are UCLADG and UCLA prime separate secondaries?

So I had been told by several medical students that PRIME was always marked on the secondary. So I was waiting for that secondary and realized that it was actually supposed to be marked on the primary application with MD/MPH. Now I have a secondary for David geffen but not for prime. I resubmitted my application with UCLA marked as MD/MPH, does anyone know if this will fix it? Are UCLADG and UCLA prime separate secondaries?
Yes, as a PRIME applicant my secondary was not the same as the DGSOM secondary (just based on reading the questions on SDN)

So mine wasn't actually completely separate but just another tab across the top when you're in the secondary. You submit it all at once, but you go to a "separate" tab to fill out prime. If its not there, you can always call them just to double check!

anyone receive an interview invite yet?
No, and from my understanding based off of last year's PRIME thread, they didn't send IIs until the last week of November or early December. Idk if they're doing the same this year, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we applied for PRIME, does it put as at a disadvantage if our applications were moved to regular Geffen next month or so? (Considering Geffen already started giving interview invites?)

Since we applied for PRIME, does it put as at a disadvantage if our applications were moved to regular Geffen next month or so? (Considering Geffen already started giving interview invites?)

I'm starting to get the feeling that it is a disadvantage. :(

I'm starting to get the feeling that it is a disadvantage. :(
We wont hear back until late November to early December regarding PRIME interviews and UCLA finishes their interviews by December according to last year thread. We wont be considered for regular program until we get rejected from PRIME. That means we wont get considered for the regular program until at least December if we don’t get one for PRIME. By then we might as well just consider it a rejection since their interview season has already ended. My only shot at UCLA is PRIME so Im just putting all my eggs in this one. Stats are too low for UCLA since they put much more emphasis on stats now than in previous years.

We wont hear back until late November to early December regarding PRIME interviews and UCLA finishes their interviews by December according to last year thread. We wont be considered for regular program until we get rejected from PRIME. That means we wont get considered for the regular program until at least December if we don’t get one for PRIME. By then we might as well just consider it a rejection since their interview season has already ended. My only shot at UCLA is PRIME so Im just putting all my eggs in this one. Stats are too low for UCLA since they put much more emphasis on stats now than in previous years.

I wonder if this is the same for other PRIME programs for other UC schools.

I wonder if this is the same for other PRIME programs for other UC schools.
Im not really sure. I just dont understand why UCLA would wait that long to review PRIME applicants. That does put a huge disadvantage on those that don’t get a PRIME II but do have the stats to be competitive for the traditional program. This probably could be that they put most of their resources into reviewing and interviewing the regular pool but don’t they have separate committee for PRIME?

Im not really sure. I just dont understand why UCLA would wait that long to review PRIME applicants. That does put a huge disadvantage on those that don’t get a PRIME II but do have the stats to be competitive for the traditional program. This probably could be that they put most of their resources into reviewing and interviewing the regular pool but don’t they have separate committee for PRIME?

Prime is more of a mandated program by California (hence, every UC has it). I'm wondering if UC schools do them last because it's extra work. Because even if they get rid of PRIME, there's tons of more than qualified applicants already in regular MD.

Your MCAT score is amazing! And the rest of your stats are amazing. You will get into a great program <3. Why do you feel that PRIME is easier to get into than the regular program?

Your MCAT score is amazing! And the rest of your stats are amazing. You will get into a great program <3. Why do you feel that PRIME is easier to get into than the regular program?

Thank you for the encouragement. Im sure a great school is waiting for you as well. The reason I feel I’d have a better chance at the PRIME program is I assume the program would focus more on ECs with the underserved than on stats (afterall that’s why it’s created in the first place) and my app is much stronger in the ECs department. Also, there will be fewer students applying to PRIME since not everyone has an interest working with the underserved but many have a strong interest in attending a top school in LA.

Also, there will be fewer students applying to PRIME since not everyone has an interest working with the underserved but many have a strong interest in attending a top school in LA.

You really think so? I think there are few seats in prime (there were 18 matriculants last cycle), so it's even tougher to get in even if you have about 500 applicants.

You really think so? I think there are few seats in prime (there were 18 matriculants last cycle), so it's even tougher to get in even if you have about 500 applicants.
True but considering how many people apply to UCLA each year (about 14,000 last year) the difficulty could go either way.

Did any other OOS people apply to UCLA PRIME and never get a secondary (for PRIME or for DG)? I sent my primary in in early july and never heard anything. LM 78-79 / WARS 94+, so thought it was a little odd-- not rly torn up over it just curious if it was just me!!

Did any other OOS people apply to UCLA PRIME and never get a secondary (for PRIME or for DG)? I sent my primary in in early july and never heard anything. LM 78-79 / WARS 94+, so thought it was a little odd-- not rly torn up over it just curious if it was just me!!

How was your experience with the underserved?

How was your experience with the underserved?

Solid. Not astounding-- thought I was shooting my shot a little bit here-- but a lot more than most general applicants (to MD programs in general, that is)

After completing essays for other schools, I sooo want my UCLA-PRIME essay back! Anyone, else feel this way?

Do people committed to underserved populations ever apply just to UCLA or is it highly recommended those people apply to Prime?

Depends on your goal. And if you apply to both, you would be reviewed for Prime first. And From what I read, UCLA goes through Prime applications later. Hence, you won't be considered for regular UCLA until you've been considered for prime first.

Do you submit your primary twice, once to prime and once to Geffen?

No for UCLA that option is in AMCAS so you select geffen, then select if you want to apply to the prime program under what degree you’re applying to.

Do you submit your primary twice, once to prime and once to Geffen?

You select PRIME on AMCAS. Then, on UCLA Portal, it'll ask you if you also want to be considered for regular MD. Based from my understanding, you will first be considered for PRIME (which happens later in the cycle), then after that you'd be considered for regular MD geffen.

Are Prime students eligible for the Geffen merit scholarship?
All entering students of DGSOM are considered for Geffen scholarships. This includes students in PRIME, Drew, and regular MD track.

You select PRIME on AMCAS. Then, on UCLA Portal, it'll ask you if you also want to be considered for regular MD. Based from my understanding, you will first be considered for PRIME (which happens later in the cycle), then after that you'd be considered for regular MD geffen.

In previous years, PRIME applicants would be at a disadvantage because they were considered for regular MD a bit later in the cycle (after getting the R from PRIME admissions). This year the timeline has changed DGSOM and heard it may be different for PRIME applicants in that they are actively considered in the regular MD applicant pool for DGSOM while still being considered for PRIME. Soooo, you could potentially interview for regular MD and also for PRIME but sure if this has been the case. Either way, all interview offers for PRIME will be sent by end of October and all interviews will take place in November this year.

All entering students of DGSOM are considered for Geffen scholarships. This includes students in PRIME, Drew, and regular MD track.

In previous years, PRIME applicants would be at a disadvantage because they were considered for regular MD a bit later in the cycle (after getting the R from PRIME admissions). This year the timeline has changed DGSOM and heard it may be different for PRIME applicants in that they are actively considered in the regular MD applicant pool for DGSOM while still being considered for PRIME. Soooo, you could potentially interview for regular MD and also for PRIME but sure if this has been the case. Either way, all interview offers for PRIME will be sent by end of October and all interviews will take place in November this year.
Thanks for the insight! I'm guessing no more secondaries are going to be sent out if interviews for PRIME are next month?

Any interview invites yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I just got an II!!

The process is somewhat confusing though because on the Faqs it says that the PRIME interview can count as both interviews but not always. So, in the end, UCLA not UCLA-Prime picks who gets the PRIME spots?

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an II!!

The process is somewhat confusing though because on the Faqs it says that the PRIME interview can count as both interviews but not always. So, in the end, UCLA not UCLA-Prime picks who gets the PRIME spots?

Congratulations!!! very exciting! are you in state??

I just got an II!!

It just means that our PRIME interview will be used by both programs when considered for admission.

I just got an II!!

Congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?

II today - LM: 73.5

was wondering if 1) anybody's portal changed to reflect the II 2) anyone has gotten both the PRIME-LA email and a MD-Only interview? or is it confirmed that we have to wait til we get a PRIME decision to hear back about MD-only?

thanks and sorry if these questions were already answered!! i read the previous posts and was kind of confused tbh

Reactions: 1 user