2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Aw man I am so disappointed!:( Was really looking forward to this since my tour on interview day wasn’t very good. Thanks for keeping us updated though! Do you by any chance know if the med school offers general tours? I live in the area, but was hoping to get a better idea of the main building since we didn’t see much on interview day. Also does student housing offer any tours? Was hoping to see that as well before committing to living there.

Again, thanks for all of your help and take your time with any response! We appreciate you keeping us all in the loop!:)

If you're in the area, well, feel free to DM me and I am happy to show you around. If people are in the Westwood LA area and want to meet up in-person, I'm happy to do so FYI.

(I won't post my facebook name/info here but can do so via DM if people want to connect).

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like someone should make a throwaway account and everyone should just DM them...
Whoever wants to run for class council this would be a great thing for your platform to say you took initiative to do this!!!!
Good idea hahah. Or a brave soul can post in the fb group that with the looming possibility of second look getting canceled we should all get to know each other more

Second look will be cancelled.

Yep, it's official. There are talks of potentially doing a remote revisit; MSTP has already confirmed that they will be doing a remote revisit.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Hi friends,

as mentioned by two of my classmates, the second look weekend is officially canceled. The office is meeting to discuss plans for a series of “webinar” events in place of Second Look. With that being said, if you have already booked your travel plan and will not be canceling, please DM me on Facebook and we at StART will love to show you around!

Just got the official cancellation e-mail:( Very kind of them to reimburse travel expenses if airlines don't though! Hopefully the virtual session is cool!

Reactions: 2 users
^housing tours better than the virtual one on my housing would be nice lol. I was hoping to see some of the facilities like sim center/anatomy labs etc. Didnt get a chance on interview day :(

They don't show you where the anatomy labs or sim centers are because apparently there was a guy in the past who sold organs from the anatomy lab. I assume people were sneaking in there during off hours and stole them. I personally know a current DGSOM student and he refused to even tell me where the anatomy lab is besides a vague "CHS building" identification

• Hmm
They don't show you where the anatomy labs or sim centers are because apparently there was a guy in the past who sold organs from the anatomy lab. I assume people were sneaking in there during off hours and stole them. I personally know a current DGSOM student and he refused to even tell me where the anatomy lab is besides a vague "CHS building" identification

It's against the rules to give tours of the anatomy lab. Only those with ID access are allowed to enter the lab.

I'm unaware of any situation of "organ stealing".

I am unsure why the current student you know refused to tell you where the anatomy lab is though, considering the information is posted online.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's against the rules to give tours of the anatomy lab. Only those with ID access are allowed to enter the lab.

I'm unaware of any situation of "organ stealing".

I am unsure why the current student you know refused to tell you where the anatomy lab is though, considering the information is posted online.

Not sure and aren't THAT interested to know where the anatomy lab is so I stopped asking lol. A lot of other med schools have let us walked through the anatomy lab during the interview though with cadavers covered up so I didn't understand why it was such a big deal but I guess different schools have their own policies

Last edited:
Not sure and aren't THAT interested to know where the anatomy lab is so I stopped asking lol. A lot of other med schools have let us walked through the anatomy lab during the interview though with cadavers covered up so I didn't understand why it was such a big deal but I guess different schools have their own policies

That is true. When I was interviewing, I was able to tour the anatomy labs of several medical schools. UCLA has a strict policy of not allowing people (besides med/dental students and anatomy faculty) in though.

Anyway, for those in the Westwood area -- feel free to message me; I can meet up to talk or give you a tour of most things (besides the anatomy lab of course )

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else waiting on travel award reimbursement? I interviewed way back in November

Interviewed in November as well. Did they give you any idea of when they were planning on sending it? They told me it would take some time back in January lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interviewed in November as well. Did they give you any idea of when they were planning on sending it? They told me it would take some time back in January lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told my check may not go out until February. Obviously that month has come and gone, so I'll be reaching out again.

• Wow
Can any accepted student comment on need-based financial aid? Does it consist of only loans or are there scholarships and grants? I am in-state if that makes a difference and 'm specifically asking about need-based. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not make details public.

I recently received a significant aid package from one of my other acceptances. However, UCLA remains my top choice out of the schools I interviewed at. I would write a letter of intent and I would definitely love to attend if accepted. Even if they only match a portion of the scholarship, I'd attend, however, I don't know if my decision would be the same if they literally gave me $0 + all loans. Feel free to offer your thoughts on this too.

Can any accepted student comment on need-based financial aid? Does it consist of only loans or are there scholarships and grants? I am in-state if that makes a difference and 'm specifically asking about need-based. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not make details public.

I recently received a significant aid package from one of my other acceptances. However, UCLA remains my top choice out of the schools I interviewed at. I would write a letter of intent and I would definitely love to attend if accepted. Even if they only match a portion of the scholarship, I'd attend, however, I don't know if my decision would be the same if they literally gave me $0 + all loans. Feel free to offer your thoughts on this too.
I received around 30k this year for need based aid. I was also hoping for input from current students if this amount will tend to stay the same considering my income will obviously decrease and my parents will stay the same?

Hi everyone! You all stay safe and take care of yourself and others amid this COVID-19 pandemic! Was hoping to meet some of you before the summer / the upcoming academic year, but looks like that won't be happening anytime soon. Please maintain social distancing and good hand-washing practices! Wishing you all well! Message me about anything med school-related (my classmates and I will also continue responding on facebook too).

P.S. Re: need-based aid, unfortunately, I don't have any information about aid. :/

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Are the deans still present on campus, or is everyone working remotely now?

I can't speak for the deans, but all faculty are supposed to work remotely unless there's an urgent, essential matter that they need to attend to on-campus.

Basically, everyone is (or should be) working remotely as of now.

Tonight, the governor of California issued a “Stay at Home” executive order effective immediately for the entire state of California. This goes for all non-essential businesses. This happened around 7 or 8 pm PST, right after the LA mayor issued a “Safer at Home” order. These are executive orders rather than recommendations so everyone except those who are healthcare providers or work in transportation, gas stations, grocery stores, banks should be working from home.

anyone else still waiting?

Got the A this week!!! Literally so surprised given everything else going on right now. Interviewed in December and my portal didn't update until after I got the email from admissions. Anyone else who hasn't yet heard either way--there may still be hope!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Got the A this week!!! Literally so surprised given everything else going on right now. Interviewed in December and my portal didn't update until after I got the email from admissions. Anyone else who hasn't yet heard either way--there may still be hope!

Holy G U A C A M O L E!! Congratuheckinglations! :bow:

Were you ever waitlisted? Or straight up zero words from UCLA since you interviewed?

I also got the A late last week! Was so surprised to hear back but I’m so excited. Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

hi - hope everyone's doing well! Does anyone know when our financial aid packages get finalized (for UCLA and other schools)? I received a provisional award letter for UCLA but no updates since. It's going to be a big factor in my decision on where to matriculate so I was wondering if we'd receive a final package prior to 4/30. thanks!

Hi friends,

Louie here from the StART team. I just want to let you know that we are actively communicating with the admission office trying to sort this out as soon as possible! At this moment, we have not received any updates from the admission office to officially canceled the second look nor a plan to make the event online or postpone. Once we have any information, we will be making an official post in the Class of 2024 Facebook Page. An email from the Admission Office will also be sent to all accepted students.
Hi Louie, would you mind sending me a private message. I have a question if you don't mind

• Wow
  • Hmm
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if UCLA offers need-based and/or merit financial aid to those who come off the waitlist? I received pretty generous aid from another school and although I would prefer to attend UCLA, I am not quite sure it would be worth the extra debt.

anyone hear back about getting their travel reimbursement? not sure if I should email them at this point, I submitted my documentation back in late december/early january I think

anyone hear back about getting their travel reimbursement? not sure if I should email them at this point, I submitted my documentation back in late december/early january I think

same situation, submitted mid-December and nothing

I submitted mid November and just received the check in the mail this past week. It was inexplicably about $40 less than I requested

Has anybody been accepted off of the waitlist? If so, how long do you have to respond? I'm wondering if waitlist movement after the April 30 deadline will have a shorter requested response timeline.

Has anybody been accepted off of the waitlist? If so, how long do you have to respond? I'm wondering if waitlist movement after the April 30 deadline will have a shorter requested response timeline.

nothing yet for me, but keeping fingers crossed!
MSAR says that UCLA WL decisions are only communicated after May 1st, but not sure how accurate this is. I believe someone on a previous year's thread mentioned a 7-day requested response timeline.

accepted off the waitlist! waitlisted with "near the top of our waitlist" email in February

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
This seems like good news for the WL folks since it is still a week out from the 30th. I suspect UCLA was quite conservative with As this year due to the over-enrollment issue they had last year.

Accepted off of the waitlist this morning! November Interview, "top of waitlist" in February, and got the phone call this morning. So happy and very much still in shock. :love:

Also just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this page. Never posted until now, but have been watching (stalking?) this page for months and it was nice to know that other people were going though the same situations/emotions/speculations as me. Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Accepted off of the waitlist this morning! November Interview, "top of waitlist" in February, and got the phone call this morning. So happy and very much still in shock. :love:

Also just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this page. Never posted until now, but have been watching (stalking?) this page for months and it was nice to know that other people were going though the same situations/emotions/speculations as me. Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting!

HUGE congrats to everyone who got in today :) ya'll ROCK :love:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just withdrew this morning! It's been an honor hanging out on this thread with you all -- all 61 pages
Hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it! (plus that Cali weather year round)

(PS: Should I bother asking about my travel award check? I think I give up.)

• Love
Also recently withdrew, hoping the spot goes to one of you on the WL! :cat:

Reactions: 9 users
Is there an optimal time to send a letter of interest/update letter? Should I do it before May 1st, or after?

Is there an optimal time to send a letter of interest/update letter? Should I do it before May 1st, or after?

I'm no expert, but I'd say it's a good time to send right now. AdCom is likely re-reviewing WL-ed applications right now, so might as well indicate your interest sooner than later.

I sent my update/letter of interest as soon as I had a meaningful update because I figure the sooner it is added to my file the more likely it is to be seen when they start re-reviewing applications on the WL.

I sent my update/letter of interest as soon as I had a meaningful update because I figure the sooner it is added to my file the more likely it is to be seen when they start re-reviewing applications on the WL.

By sent, do you mean you just uploaded it to the portal, or did you also send a copy to the admissions office via email?

By sent, do you mean you just uploaded it to the portal, or did you also send a copy to the admissions office via email?
Wondering about this as well. In my experience, the admissions email is very unresponsive, if at all.