Jul 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Wasn't offered a scholarship at admission, but was offered $10,000 / year merit aid last week. Some hope for all the accepted people who didn't get Geffin and have been waiting for financial aid.
jk, was offered the Geffen scholarship this morning after this random email 2 weeks ago. Very surprised considering I was accepted 4 months ago and they told us we would be offered scholarships at time of admission. Don't know the order they are reviewing apps for potential scholarships, but hopefully this provides hope to some! And for future applicants looking back on page 58 of this thread, not all the scholarships go out right away. OOS applicant.

Feb 26, 2019
jk, was offered the Geffen scholarship this morning after this random email 2 weeks ago. Very surprised considering I was accepted 4 months ago and they told us we would be offered scholarships at time of admission. Don't know the order they are reviewing apps for potential scholarships, but hopefully this provides hope to some! And for future applicants looking back on page 58 of this thread, not all the scholarships go out right away. OOS applicant.
+1 (on the acceptance timeframe, random 10k scholarship, and now Geffen scholarship, but was notified about the Geffen scholarship at a different time)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
ery surprised considering I was accepted 4 months ago and they told us we would be offered scholarships at time of admission.
Perhaps they're worried about their yield and decided to give up more money. Not sure if this is looking good or bad for people on waitlist, either they want more to commit or that we were waitlisted despite them worrying about yield.

About the Ads
Nov 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
+1 (on the acceptance timeframe, random 10k scholarship, and now Geffen scholarship, but was notified about the Geffen scholarship at a different time)
Congrats! :) that’s incredible. Was this all after filling out financial aid forms and receiving FA packages?

Reactions: PapayaJambalaya
Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats @PapayaJambalaya @mdprospect2024!! Just received an email for the 4-year, 10k/year merit scholarship that you both alluded to. Was also accepted in October. Assuming it was reallocated to me after you 2 were offered Geffen

Feeling thankful, but also hopeful that I'll follow your trajectories ;)

Feb 3, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats @PapayaJambalaya @mdprospect2024!! Just received an email for the 4-year, 10k/year merit scholarship that you both alluded to. Was also accepted in October. Assuming it was reallocated to me after you 2 were offered Geffen

Feeling thankful, but also hopeful that I'll follow your trajectories ;)
Guys I'm just saying...I think my offer is still way better. I mean, who even WANTS the Geffen.
Snack baskets, goodie bags... heck how about some unlimited Girl Scout c o o k i e s (yea, I have friends in high places) :hello:
(& all for the low price of a shared acceptance)

pfffttttt clear, wholesome choice here
please keep this on the DL. Can't offer this up to just anyone.

Oct 29, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Guys I'm just saying...I think my offer is still way better. I mean, who even WANTS the Geffen.
Snack baskets, goodie bags... heck how about some unlimited Girl Scout c o o k i e s (yea, I have friends in high places) :hello:
(& all for the low price of a shared acceptance)

pfffttttt clear, wholesome choice here
please keep this on the DL. Can't offer this up to just anyone.
Can I have unlimited mint flavor? I'm on the DL as well shhhhh

About the Ads
Oct 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Why are some ppl still in silence? Like why delay letting us know if we are rejected..
Maybe because you're still being considered for a spot in their entering class?
I think this was said before but to put together a truly diverse class takes A LOT of work and deliberation. All we know about each other on SDN is maybe each others MCAT/GPA? There is so much more that goes into putting a class together than just those two metrics. You might not have heard back yet because they're still deliberating whether or not to accept you or waitlist you (a very likely possibility). Considering that they could have easily put you on a waitlist or rejected you (since they've done this to others already), it's more likely you're still under consideration.

If we've learned anything over the past several months it's that we don't know what's actually happening and that anything is possible. Stay positive!

Sep 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe because you're still being considered for a spot in their entering class?
I think this was said before but to put together a truly diverse class takes A LOT of work and deliberation. All we know about each other on SDN is maybe each others MCAT/GPA? There is so much more that goes into putting a class together than just those two metrics. You might not have heard back yet because they're still deliberating whether or not to accept you or waitlist you (a very likely possibility). Considering that they could have easily put you on a waitlist or rejected you (since they've done this to others already), it's more likely you're still under consideration.

If we've learned anything over the past several months it's that we don't know what's actually happening and that anything is possible. Stay positive!
What you said rings the bells of rationality. However, what also seems reasonable is to have more transparency especially from a T10 school. I didn't notice it at the time since UCLA was my first interview, but now I see the slithering way in which they skipped out on the timeline of admissions. They casually slipped in a one pager about the general deadlines and thats all.

Whether I get in or not, or whether I choose to matriculate or not, I will be sure to email them an appropriate response for all this mess, and I encourage fellow interviewers to do the same.

For the 2020-2021 applicants looking at this thread, make sure you *ask* about the timeline during your interview. But most importantly, and this applies to all schools, when sifting through the pile of information given to you by the schools, *pay careful attention to what is not told* as the omitted information can be the weakest spots of that school.

The_Good_MD

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a friend who previously applied here who interviewed in September and didn’t hear back anything until June, which is when she was rejected. The brutal truth is that the admission committee members here can decide to make decisions at anytime, and historically, they don’t care at all about transparency regarding the admission timeline. Just a reminder of how powerless we are in this process. It’s sad that many students' careers in medicine start with such a demoralizing admissions process.

Last edited:

marcosma

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! I know it's super annoying when people planning for the upcoming cycle post on a school specific thread, and I promise to only do it just this once (and maybe on one other thread xD) but I wanted to ask if it's even worth applying here. UCLA is one of my top choices but on the other hand I'm not trying to waste 150 bucks if I have literally zero chance here, ya feel?
I think you might as well apply. I mean, you don't have a zero chance, but you have a 0-2% chance like everyone else ;)

Interesting that you were able to get your MCAT up so high from a 507. They'll probably want to know why your grades don't match your latest MCAT attempt.

Nrzajn

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys!
Hey Meridian, just wanted to say I see you around on Reddit (I think). Congrats on the MCAT!!! That's amazing.

Given that UCLA pre-screens secondaries, that you have excellent clinical volunteering, MCAT, etc., I'd say you have a great shot. I wasn't expecting to have much luck here, but things worked out. Especially given your state, you should totally apply here (I'm OOS and got in).

A-Fib

The future’s so bright I gotta wear shades...
Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If any of the accepted people would like my lunch bag/mug - I can give it away to you with a huge congrats card :) PM me if you want it and we can arrange something.

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
Accepted people, how many of you threw away your lunch bag?

Reactions: docb2
About the Ads
Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you might as well apply. I mean, you don't have a zero chance, but you have a 0-2% chance like everyone else ;)

Interesting that you were able to get your MCAT up so high from a 507. They'll probably want to know why your grades don't match your latest MCAT attempt.
This. You'll never know if you don't try, only you can say whether it's worth the money, and nobody who gets a secondary has literally zero chance. That said, you know what you're up against -- literally hundreds (if not thousands) of people who have 520+ on one try with 3.9+ GPAs and tons of superlative ECs. You always have a chance to break through, but the odds are against it, and that's at any T20 school. The way I will look at it when I'm up is to say I'm already spending thousands on the process, so I'd take a few shots even with a low probability of success just to avoid playing the "what if?" game in the future. Good luck!!!

A-Fib

Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
No, I really mean that! I am getting rid of it as I am 99% sure I’m not going to DGSOM.

• Sad
Reactions: Cardiacmriiiii
Oct 29, 2019
Status
Medical Student
If I haven't heard by now, is it safe to assume the R?
There are still many people who haven’t heard back (probably more than 100 people in reality cuz there are 20-30 people on SDN). Anything can happen at this point (A/WL/R) to be honest.

• Wow
Reactions: SVenky
Feb 21, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
hi! I'm a 9/23 interviewee, and I'm still waiting for a decision. I thought I'd finally stop lurking, create an account, and join the cute little community in this thread. thanks everyone for sharing all your feelings, and in the process, validating my own. and thanks to all of you who are rallying for those still in silence and for reminding us that hope remains. oh, and congrats to all the peeps who were accepted! anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks!

About the Ads

A-Fib

Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
I love how nobody wants a free mug and a lunch bag :)

A-Fib

Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
Reactions: PapayaJambalaya
Jul 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
hi! I'm a 9/23 interviewee, and I'm still waiting for a decision. I thought I'd finally stop lurking, create an account, and join the cute little community in this thread. thanks everyone for sharing all your feelings, and in the process, validating my own. and thanks to all of you who are rallying for those still in silence and for reminding us that hope remains. oh, and congrats to all the peeps who were accepted! anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks!
Since you're popping in so late, you're behind schedule on the wild speculation post everyone is required to add. So feel free to just throw a few darts at the wall and take a guess what the adcoms are discussing this week. Personally, my bet is on them running each application through google translate 15 times then going based on what translation makes any sense at all.

LAIsTheBestPlaceEver

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi friends,

We just sent out the email for the Class of 2024 Facebook Group invite to the currently accepted students
Allow me to save you the trouble from people bombing your inbox, knowing how neurotic this thread can get. I assume and correct me if I am wrong.

1. You can not disclose how many students have been accepted, now that you have the accepted students list
2. You can not disclose the names of students who have been accepted.
3. You can not provide updates whenever that accepted list is updated by the admission office

no thanks needed.

Nov 27, 2019
Allow me to save you the trouble from people bombing your inbox, knowing how neurotic this thread can get. I assume and correct me if I am wrong.

1. You can not disclose how many students have been accepted, now that you have the accepted students list
3. You can not provide updates whenever that accepted list is updated by the admission office

no thanks needed.
Thank you.
Unfortunately... You are correct. :1confused:

Although I want to keep the process as transparent as possible, I am in no place to disclose this information :(

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015

no thanks needed.
Bruh

Sep 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Is anyone else still waiting for their travel reimbursement? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

gonna be an MS2 by the time the check hits
Me! I haven’t received my travel reimbursement yet, but I haven’t been accepted either, lol. At this point, I really couldn’t care less about the money (they can keep it, though it’d be helpful to get it) - I just want to get in!!

Feb 3, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
So I’m thinking of writing a letter of intent in the near future:

“Dear admissions team,
I’m very grateful for the ‘near-the-top‘ waitlist business, & I want to take the time to thank you. Also, I have an update that I believe truly proves my commitment (even while unconscious and incapacitated) to Ucla.

This past Friday, I had my 3 total wisdom teeth pulled (see, I’m diverse because I only had 3 as opposed to 4...so I’m confident this provides me the adaptability to cope with my own lopsided bone structure).

Anyways, as I was coming out of anesthesia, I decided to do so with vigor (similar to how I will conduct ALL my time at Ucla). With alligator sized tears, I began to very loudly bawl and point to the Ucla insignia on my tshirt.

“MOMMY I WANT TO GO HERE!” I yelled with bloody gauze in my mouth.

Loopy and confused, distressed and nauseous, I was still 110% sure of my passion for DGSOM. Only time would quench my tears, and my mumbled explanation to the nurse was probably uninterpretable.

Again, UCLA adCom, I ask that you see this as a testimony to my tenacity and endurance. Even under the influence of anesthesia, opioids, and Advil, my commitment does not waver.

True story.

Sincerely,
Burt Macklin”

About the Ads