2019-2020 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh wow yeah. I was hoping one of my science letters also doubled as a character letter since I also TAd for the professor. The problem is if I use that as a character letter, then I only have one science faculty. Guess I need to find another

Members don't see this ad.

All programs receive the letters that you release to them via AMCAS. Presumably you released the same package to UCF that you did to others. What should your next step be? Check with the admissions office to determine what has gone awry?

@REL I think the problem is my letter distribution. I have 2 science, 2 non-science, and 1 character. One of my science letters (presumably), also talks about character since I TA'd for that professor. However, if I count that as a character letter, then I only have 1 science letter while UCF wants 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
@REL I think the problem is my letter distribution. I have 2 science, 2 non-science, and 1 character. One of my science letters (presumably), also talks about character since I TA'd for that professor. However, if I count that as a character letter, then I only have 1 science letter while UCF wants 2.
That is likely the problem, call the admissions office and discuss to see if they will adjust your letters please.

Anyone still waiting on a secondary? IS with strong stats, primary complete on 6/14...this is the only Florida school I have not received...

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on if we should specifically talk about 'interdisciplinary' teamwork or just teamwork in general? I'd love to talk about my time as an athlete but that wouldn't exactly be interdisciplinary.

Anyone still waiting on a secondary? IS with strong stats, primary complete on 6/14...this is the only Florida school I have not received...
If you have not received a secondary app, please email the admissions office. Our system reflects that those with metrics above our minimums should have received a secondary as of yesterday.

for the other profession essay, should you end it saying why it can't compare to medicine?
The question isn't a "trap." Just answer honestly. :) it is your prerogative to end your essay however you'd like. But it is certainly not necessary nor (in my opinion) appropriate to answer that way given the prompt. If it makes you feel better, I did not end it that way last year. Good luck!

Any thoughts on if we should specifically talk about 'interdisciplinary' teamwork or just teamwork in general? I'd love to talk about my time as an athlete but that wouldn't exactly be interdisciplinary.
Last year, I used sports as my answer. As long as you can demonstrate your ability to work as a team member then I'm sure you'll be fine. If you can pull interdisciplinary teamwork, then even better.

For the essay asking us to just talk about ourselves. It says no more than 2 pages single spaced. Did anyone submit just one page single spaced, I really don't know what I could cover that hasn't already been covered in the personal statement, several secondaries questions they asked, and activities description, in 2 pages single spaced lol

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else having trouble accessing the portal?

Trying to submit, but the PDF form is randomly omitting words from my responses. Did anyone else have this problem? I have grammarly on for my browser and I think this is causing the problem.

That’s odd. Haven’t had this problem with Grammarly. I got the free version if that makes a difference.

For the essay asking us to just talk about ourselves. It says no more than 2 pages single spaced. Did anyone submit just one page single spaced, I really don't know what I could cover that hasn't already been covered in the personal statement, several secondaries questions they asked, and activities description, in 2 pages single spaced lol
This is what REL said last year about the final essay:

"The final essay about how you can contribute to the class and also not have to be two pages. Good writing will open with a summary paragraph about what we will learn; be followed by 2-3 paragraphs to develop those thoughts, and then a wrap-up paragraph. This can all be done in a single page." Good luck!

What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why?

The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment?

What profession would you choose if not medicine?

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general.

For the question If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.
For the question regarding MCAT prep, is it okay to simply just write the numbers? Or should we write out in sentences which prep courses we used, which online sites, etc.?
Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are interested in UCF COM.

I'm confused as to what prompts comprise the secondary app. I see four different posts referring to different prompts. Are all of these the prompts for UCF or just what @pBar posted?

TIA! And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to online courses, would dual enrollment college courses from high school count?

I am unlike most admissions officers, I want you to know everything. I like to use the forum as a positive way to ensure that you get all of your questions answered accurately. I also see that some of our students are on this thread. I see that as a wonderful opportunity for applicants to get information from the administration and the students. Accuracy about our program and getting the right students into our program is the goal.

Reactions: 15 users
For the connection question, would it be appropriate if I put a close family friend attended there, however is no longer in Florida..

For the connection question, would it be appropriate if I put a close family friend attended there, however is no longer in Florida..
That is certainly a connection that you can write about. Some people asked about this prompt last year. You can see it here. REL gives a short answer about 1/2 way down on page 2.

That is certainly a connection that you can write about. Some people asked about this prompt last year. You can see it here. REL gives a short answer about 1/2 way down on page 2.

Thank you! Does anyone know what the odds are of getting in if I am OOS, and have weak/no connections to Florida? I'm not sure if I should submit the secondary if I have too low of chances as it is a long one when I can prioritize other schools first. Stats wise I am on target 3.98/512, but really paranoid about the MCAT score. Will probably go for the underserved route and might mention about the high Spanish and immigrant population there if I choose to submit

I am unlike most admissions officers, I want you to know everything. I like to use the forum as a positive way to ensure that you get all of your questions answered accurately. I also see that some of our students are on this thread. I see that as a wonderful opportunity for applicants to get information from the administration and the students. Accuracy about our program and getting the right students into our program is the goal.
I really appreciate the transparency!
For the character limit (e.g. 500 max for background, 750 for activities) does this limit include spaces?

Thank you! Does anyone know what the odds are of getting in if I am OOS, and have weak/no connections to Florida? I'm not sure if I should submit the secondary if I have too low of chances as it is a long one when I can prioritize other schools first. Stats wise I am on target 3.98/512, but really paranoid about the MCAT score. Will probably go for the underserved route and might mention about the high Spanish and immigrant population there if I choose to submit
FWIW, I was a CA applicant last year and put that I have no ties to Florida and was still interviewed/accepted! Median stats overall and URM. Emphasize your fit to the UCF COM, give solid reasons you want to attend beyond the obvious and I think you will have a good shot! Feel free to PM if you have any other questions :)

Reactions: 2 users
How strict is UCF about the non-science faculty LOR?

@vi0linm0nster OMG You are applying to 50!!!! schools?? That's insane! You are my hero! How do you have the time to do all that? WOW!

Anybody got EFI yet? Submitted my app over 15 business days ago and still on Ready For Review.

@vi0linm0nster OMG You are applying to 50!!!! schools?? That's insane! You are my hero! How do you have the time to do all that? WOW!

lol yep neurotic pre-med me got super paranoid about a 512 so decided to apply to 50, although I will most likely submit ~40-45 secondaries because found out some schools are really IS biased and their secondary just wasn't worth the shot. literally spent 1.5 months sitting at home writing this ****. probably only went out a handful of times

Sorry for my ignorance...what is "EFI?"
"Eligible For Interview" as opposed to not competitive. IIRC I think it doesn't mean a whole lot as far as expectations of being selected for an interview, just that your application has been looked at and moved along and meets their minimum requirements to be eligible for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a little bit worried about the LOR requirements here. I tried to get a diverse set of letters 1 from a PI, 2 science profs, a physician, and a non-science prof. Hoping this covers it.

I am a little bit worried about the LOR requirements here. I tried to get a diverse set of letters 1 from a PI, 2 science profs, a physician, and a non-science prof. Hoping this covers it.
Looks good to me, we are flexible on the PI, we will use it for either faculty or character in most cases.

@REL Good morning! Could you share what is the ballpark expected turn-around time from "complete" to Eligible for interview or not? When should applicants expect to start hearing?

@REL Hello! I just recently got my last LOR submitted to AMCAS. Will admissions re-review my LORs or do I need to send an email?

@REL Hello! I just recently got my last LOR submitted to AMCAS. Will admissions re-review my LORs or do I need to send an email?
We activated our screening teams earlier this week and we should start getting some results back next week. We would likely have enough responses in about 10 days to begin to build our EFI's and then also start some interview invitations. I estimate that we can expect to catch up rapidly and begin to go from FC to EFI in 7-10 days after next week.

Reactions: 3 users
If I only have 2 science LORs but no 3rd non-science letter, can I substitute my pre-health advisor’s LOR for it?

If I only have 2 science LORs but no 3rd non-science letter, can I substitute my pre-health advisor’s LOR for it?
IF your pre-health letter is a true assessment/recap of your time there it will likely suffice, if it is only a short intro paragraph to a packet of attached letters likely it will not suffice.

Just a heads up, the 750 character limit DOES include spaces. Just had a nice little surprise when I went to submit....

Status change: AORTA-eligible for interview selection!! Complete 7/19 OOS

AORTA EFI IS complete 7/19

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any body not have their statuses updated at all and marked complete around 7/10-7/19?

Did those that have status change to EFI did they call or email?

AORTA Eligible for interview

Complete 7/23