2019-2020 University of Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I forgot to include 2 date ranges in 1 of my lab experiences on the secondary. I uploaded a PDF notifying them of the error. Should I email the admissions office too?

Someone tell me the world isn't ending.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I forgot to include 2 date ranges in 1 of my lab experiences. I uploaded a PDF notifying them of the error. Should I email the admissions office too?

Someone tell me the world isn't ending.
You are good. Uploading the PDF wasn't even needed. Relax.

Reactions: 1 user
When they ask for science courses taken online, does that mean solely BCPM? Should I list CompSci courses I've taken?

Members don't see this ad :)
When they ask for science courses taken online, does that mean solely BCPM? Should I list CompSci courses I've taken?
I would stick with Biology, Chemistry, Physics. I actually left out my Math class. It asked for science, I went literal.

Yes, they are trying to make sure you didn't cut corners and took some easy online class to meet the requirements.

For #5 - Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere

Would being first gen and going to underperforming schools count? Or are they looking for more severe disadvantages?

For #5 - Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere

Would being first gen and going to underperforming schools count? Or are they looking for more severe disadvantages?

I would say it counts.

First Gen - Definitely

Underperforming schools - Iffy.. Lots of them are depending on statistics. What makes it underperforming?

For the Why Upenn, I'm having trouble shortening it. Anyone know if PSOM or UPenn is the preferred abridged name? Will they even care?? 1000 characters is short when you want to talk about a specific research center with a long long long name...

For the Why Upenn, I'm having trouble shortening it. Anyone know if PSOM or UPenn is the preferred abridged name? Will they even care?? 1000 characters is short when you want to talk about a specific research center with a long long long name...

I used “Perelman”

Members don't see this ad :)
First Gen - Definitely

Underperforming schools - Iffy.. Lots of them are depending on statistics. What makes it underperforming?

Due to character count, I'm just gonna omit that part lol. But if you're curious:

Objectively: The state DoE designated it as "at-risk" and shows all the metrics below state standards.

My subjective experience: Lots of gangs, drugs, violence, etc to the point where police were permanently stationed at the school. The school focused more time on preventing those things rather than talking about further education and opportunities, we literally had more talks and presentations about gangs than anything about further education.

Due to character count, I'm just gonna omit that part lol. But if you're curious:

Objectively: The state DoE designated it as "at-risk" and shows all the metrics below state standards.

My subjective experience: Lots of gangs, drugs, violence, etc to the point where police were permanently stationed at the school. The school focused more time on preventing those things rather than talking about further education and opportunities, we literally had more talks and presentations about gangs than anything about further education.

There must be a different term than underperforming for "Lots of gangs, drugs, violence, ".. Underperforming usually means that the students were not passing standardized tests. Fearing for your life on a daily basis is a different measure altogether.

There must be a different term than underperforming for "Lots of gangs, drugs, violence, ".. Underperforming usually means that the students were not passing standardized tests.

My guess is the two often go hand-in-hand...

was this for high school? I was thinking about something similar but for middle school but not sure if this would be a strech/not something they are interested in?

I would say only mention it if you feel like it legitimately underprepared you for college.

Agree with @EmbryonalCarcinoma , i think if you yourself see it as a possible stretch, it may seem even more so to whoever's reading it

There must be a different term than underperforming for "Lots of gangs, drugs, violence, ".. Underperforming usually means that the students were not passing standardized tests. Fearing for your life on a daily basis is a different measure altogether.

You're right, that was the quickie term I used to ask the question here. Not going to mention that part because it would be too difficult to explain given the character count.

But if I were, I'd probably use a more objective term and cite the state's statistics along with the fact that we're the second lowest scoring in a low-scoring district. Then write a more "subjective" part regarding my experiences with the environment.

was this for high school? I was thinking about something similar but for middle school but not sure if this would be a strech/not something they are interested in?

For me, it was both middle and high school. Though my high school was slightly better due to being at the cusp of the very apparent divide between neighborhoods of lower and higher socioeconomic status.

To those who answered #4, Global activities, how many characters did it allow? 500 or 1000?

For #4 (global activities) would activities count if they happened during high school? I took a summer enrichment course in England going into my junior year of high school and I'm unsure of whether to include it.

For #4 (global activities) would activities count if they happened during high school? I took a summer enrichment course in England going into my junior year of high school and I'm unsure of whether to include it.
I would not include any high school activities on a med school app unless they were continued in college.

Reactions: 1 users
My guess would be anything outside the US borders. Mission trips, deployments, humanitarian efforts, etc.

should I write about volunteering in my pediatrician's mobile health clinic in Haiti as a high schooler long as I clarify I was not performing any medical procedures etc and write it in a non-holier than thou "look at me im mr. white savior complex" and just focus on how the experience was formative as a kid from a massachuetts suburb? if that is too risky i could write about some of the more basic volunteering i did while studying abroad in australia...but admittedly the haiti experience was more meaningful

should I write about volunteering in my pediatrician's mobile health clinic in Haiti as a high schooler long as I clarify I was not performing any medical procedures etc and write it in a non-holier than thou "look at me im mr. white savior complex" and just focus on how the experience was formative as a kid from a massachuetts suburb? if that is too risky i could write about some of the more basic volunteering i did while studying abroad in australia...but admittedly the haiti experience was more meaningful
I think that is Exactly what they are looking for.

Is this sarcastic? Not sure if you noticed my saying this was during high school
Not sarcastic. This was a global experience. You did a global experience so boom. Indicate that it was part of high school, but still put it.

Literally everyone in the Philadelphia area that has any familiarity with the school calls it Penn - typically people outside Philly area call it UPenn (though for some reason that abbreviation is on their website in a few places?). Penn Medicine also works. 100% do not mix it up with Penn State

Literally everyone in the Philadelphia area that has any familiarity with the school calls it Penn - typically people outside Philly area call it UPenn (though for some reason that abbreviation is on their website in a few places?). Penn Medicine also works. 100% do not mix it up with Penn State
It looks like their secondaries refer to it as PSOM occasionally. Or just call it Perelman.

It looks like their secondaries refer to it as PSOM occasionally. Or just call it Perelman.

Sure - they're definitely not going to look down on you using an abbreviation they used themselves haha

Alum, but still a current resident within the system. If anyone has any specific questions about the school, I'm happy to answer any questions!

Alum, but still a current resident within the system. If anyone has any specific questions about the school, I'm happy to answer any questions!
Thanks for offering to help!

I had a question about the area around the school: Do you know if many of the students at the school have children and/or if the area surrounding would be good for a family?

Thanks for offering to help!

I had a question about the area around the school: Do you know if many of the students at the school have children and/or if the area surrounding would be good for a family?
I'm not sure I would say many, but there are a handful of those each year that come with children, with several more starting families while in medical school. There are many neighborhoods around the campus that are family friendly. Graduate Hospital and West Philadelphia are probably the two most popular neighborhoods for not only medical students to live in, but hospital staff, nurses, residents and even many faculty members, many of whom have families. However if your children are school-aged, those who can afford it typically send their children to private schools.

However if your children are school-aged, those who can afford it typically send their children to private schools.
LAWL this is what everyone tells me. Makes sense, probably wom’ Be able to afford it but makes sense (daughter will enter Kindergarten in MS2 if accepted). Thank you for the feedback! And how is the area recreationally for students? When time comes about for *some* down time, is there good hiking, festivals, museums, etc.?

And how is the area recreationally for students? When time comes about for *some* down time, is there good hiking, festivals, museums, etc.?
Tons, no joke. It's honestly an incredibly lively city. Because it is still relatively up and coming, it's a very affordable city in regards to rent, food, drink, events, etc.
If you are an avid hiker, you probably already know that the Northeast pales in comparison to the West, but there are still good trails around, however generally require a car to get to. I love biking and there is a really great bike trail from Philadelphia that goes all the way to Valley Forge and beyond.

To get a sense of what goes on in Philly, especially in the summer, this is a blog that my friends and I use to keep track of all the things going on in the city that seem interesting.

There's also plenty of down time in your pre-clinical years, haha.

Tons, no joke. It's honestly an incredibly lively city. Because it is still relatively up and coming, it's a very affordable city in regards to rent, food, drink, events, etc.
If you are an avid hiker, you probably already know that the Northeast pales in comparison to the West, but there are still good trails around, however generally require a car to get to. I love biking and there is a really great bike trail from Philadelphia that goes all the way to Valley Forge and beyond.

To get a sense of what goes on in Philly, especially in the summer, this is a blog that my friends and I use to keep track of all the things going on in the city that seem interesting.

There's also plenty of down time in your pre-clinical years, haha.
Excellent feedback, thank you! The emboldened section is why I am so disappointed that there are only 3 schools in the PNW and only like 3 in cali that take OOS, but it is still excellent to hear that there is hiking in the vicinity!

Get your photo taken ASAP and they will be in the secondary application. Early is always better.
Is it ok if I take it by myself against wearing a suit/tie against a white background at home with proper lighting? I have a good DSLR camera and don't want to pay the people at walgreens to take it.

Is it ok if I take it by myself against wearing a suit/tie against a white background at home with proper lighting? I have a good DSLR camera and don't want to pay the people at walgreens to take it.
I did exactly that. Granted, my wife is a photographer a digital graphics artist...so I had some semi-professional help lol But yah, that is fine.

I just got a secondary here and have a quick question about that open ended question #5 ! My original plan had been to add a slightly modified version of my diversity essay for this prompt, but a large part of that essay actually revolves around economic hardship. As this clearly fits better for question #6, would any of the following be worth talking about for #5 instead, or would I be better off not answering?

-Desire to work with LGBTQ populations (specific to my own experiences, with clear goals for the impact I'd like to make and how). This was briefly a part of my story in my primary, though I would expand on it in this prompt.

-Unique living situation: lived in a place/with a population very few applicants statistically are likely to have lived. It has informed my perspective on some issues in medicine, and was also just a cool experience. However, it was during my childhood which is now far behind me.

-Past employment: As a very non-traditional applicant, I have over a decade of work experience. I elaborated on one of these jobs in my personal statement, and another was a most meaningful activity in W/A. Would it be repetitious to talk about work here? I could either talk generally about all my employment experience, or focus in on one experience that was not in my PS or most meaningful. If I focus on this one job, would it be necessary to relate this back to medicine directly or would it just add color to me as an applicant?

If anyone wants to weigh in I'd be forever grateful, I'm super excited about Penn's program and anxious to get this right.

Penn student. Perelman, PSOM, or Penn are all fair. Not UPenn, and certainly not Penn State.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I just got a secondary here and have a quick question about that open ended question #5 ! My original plan had been to add a slightly modified version of my diversity essay for this prompt, but a large part of that essay actually revolves around economic hardship. As this clearly fits better for question #6, would any of the following be worth talking about for #5 instead, or would I be better off not answering?

-Desire to work with LGBTQ populations (specific to my own experiences, with clear goals for the impact I'd like to make and how). This was briefly a part of my story in my primary, though I would expand on it in this prompt.

-Unique living situation: lived in a place/with a population very few applicants statistically are likely to have lived. It has informed my perspective on some issues in medicine, and was also just a cool experience. However, it was during my childhood which is now far behind me.

-Past employment: As a very non-traditional applicant, I have over a decade of work experience. I elaborated on one of these jobs in my personal statement, and another was a most meaningful activity in W/A. Would it be repetitious to talk about work here? I could either talk generally about all my employment experience, or focus in on one experience that was not in my PS or most meaningful. If I focus on this one job, would it be necessary to relate this back to medicine directly or would it just add color to me as an applicant?

If anyone wants to weigh in I'd be forever grateful, I'm super excited about Penn's program and anxious to get this right.
do you have past experience working with LGBTQ, or is it just something you want to do? If you have prior experience I would bring it up, otherwise its just you making a claim. Like I talked about my experience working with underserved people like the homeless and uninsured in an emergency room.

Penn student. Perelman, PSOM, or Penn are all fair. Not UPenn, and certainly not Penn State.
Approach the situation like when you are in a conversation with someone you know but whose name you have forgotten - when in doubt "This school, your school, Here, etc"

^^^Is joke. Don't do this.

• Haha
do you have past experience working with LGBTQ, or is it just something you want to do? If you have prior experience I would bring it up, otherwise its just you making a claim. Like I talked about my experience working with underserved people like the homeless and uninsured in an emergency room.
Thanks for the input! I do have experience (including leadership) working in healthcare related advocacy within the LGBTQ community that ties into things I would like to continue to do research aroun and work toward, but not directly in clinical care.

What is the general consensus on Latin honors (e.g. summa cum laude), National Honor Society appointments, and Dean's list for the honors/awards section for Penn's secondary? I would assume no for honor societies or dean's list-- but think latin honors might qualify and want to see what others think

What is the general consensus on Latin honors (e.g. summa cum laude), National Honor Society appointments, and Dean's list for the honors/awards section for Penn's secondary? I would assume no for honor societies or dean's list-- but think latin honors might qualify and want to see what others think
I would say no. Latin honors are given to everyone at a particular institution with a higher than X GPA. It is not all too special at T20 schools. I would say if you were a valedictorian then put it. I only listed awards from being top of a class as the other ones didn’t feel as selective.