2019-2020 University of Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Pennsylvania

Members don't see this ad.

I know that the secondary has not come out yet, but based on last years prompts I have a question about this part of the secondary:

Have you been employed at the University of Pennsylvania Health System or Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and worked with a Penn faculty mentor?

Because they explicitly state Penn Health System, does this not include PIs affiliated with the biology department and not the health system for example?

Because they explicitly state Penn Health System, does this not include PIs affiliated with the biology department and not the health system for example?

Since the biology department is not in the school of medicine I would say it does not qualify.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, verified 5/30

Reactions: 1 users
Can you post the prompts?
I don't have the MD prompts, the MD/PhD Prompts are:

1. Please use keywords or phrases, separated by commas, to identify your research interests more specifically. Do not use tabs or add lines by hitting the enter key. There is a limit of 500 characters.

2. List your research experiences chronologically, starting with the most recent. For each experience, please provide clear information about the time commitment. (For instance, if you worked continuously in one lab for a year, putting in full time hours during the summer, and part time hours during the school year, you might state: "full time (about 50 hours a week) from mid May until the end of August, continuing part time (about 10 hours a week) from September to April". Note that if you worked two summers in the same lab, but did *not* work in that lab at all during the school year, these should be listed as two separate research experiences.)

For each experience, indicate whether your mentor will provide a letter of recommendation. Please note that letters are a significant aspect of your application. We encourage you to solicit at least 3 letters which will specifically address your research ability and potential. Included in these should be letters from mentors who have guided you through your most significant research experiences. If you do not solicit a letter from an individual with whom you have had an extensive research experience, please provide an explanation in the comments section.

3. If you have publications as a result of your research, please provide the full citations here. If you do not have any publications at this time, please indicate that in the box (eg by typing "no publications yet"). Please note there is an 8,000 character limit.

4. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:

1. Please use keywords or phrases, separated by commas, to identify your research interests more specifically. Do not use tabs or add lines by hitting the enter key. There is a limit of 500 characters.

2. List your research experiences chronologically, starting with the most recent. For each experience, please provide clear information about the time commitment. (For instance, if you worked continuously in one lab for a year, putting in full time hours during the summer, and part time hours during the school year, you might state: "full time (about 50 hours a week) from mid May until the end of August, continuing part time (about 10 hours a week) from September to April". Note that if you worked two summers in the same lab, but did *not* work in that lab at all during the school year, these should be listed as two separate research experiences.)

For each experience, indicate whether your mentor will provide a letter of recommendation. Please note that letters are a significant aspect of your application. We encourage you to solicit at least 3 letters which will specifically address your research ability and potential. Included in these should be letters from mentors who have guided you through your most significant research experiences. If you do not solicit a letter from an individual with whom you have had an extensive research experience, please provide an explanation in the comments section.

3. If you have publications as a result of your research, please provide the full citations here. If you do not have any publications at this time, please indicate that in the box (eg by typing "no publications yet"). Please note there is an 8,000 character limit.

4. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:
Thank you!

Could you please post the character limit for prompt #2 ?

Could you please post the character limit for prompt #2 ?
No character limit, this question is just a series of boxes to fill out.

No character limit, this question is just a series of boxes to fill out.

Thanks! I suppose they really do mean "list" then. I figure since we already elaborated on projects in the primary app there is no need to do so here.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I suppose they really do mean "list" then. I figure since we already elaborated on projects in the primary app there is no need to do so here.
Yeah, it looks like they are most interest in having us list out projects and identify if the PIs will be providing letter. Looks like a lot of significance is being put on PI letters.

Secondary submitted, best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please post the MD secondary prompts?
Got out of bed to post these, didn't realize no one had posted them yet sorry:

The following questions are part of the Perelman School of Medicine's holistic review process. We recognize that many applicants may not have check boxes or narratives in these areas.
1. Have you taken any online courses for credit? Y/N

2. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? Y/N and list

3. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation?
If Y: Please describe your activities during this time in 500 characters or less.

4. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? Y/N (Probably a prompt if you select yes, I selected no)

5. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) Y/N
If Y: Please explain and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

6. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? Y/N
If Y; Please explain briefly in 1,000 characters:

7. Have you been employed at the University of Pennsylvania Health System or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and worked with a Penn faculty mentor? If yes, please indicate name, department, phone number of faculty, and start/end dates Y/N

8. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:

9. Sexual and Gender Identity (optional)

The Perelman School of Medicine seeks to foster a safe and welcoming environment for all students. In this spirit, the following optional questions are asked about sexual orientation and gender identity.

You may choose to answer, one, both or none of these questions. This will not have any impact on your application and will not be shared as part of the admissions process. Rather, this information will enable us to better facilitate any visit that you have to the School of Medicine.

If none of the following designations adequately describe how you identify, please feel free to elaborate in the option marked “Other.” We recognize that improving our understanding of sexual and gender identities are a continuous process, and welcome your input.

Do you identify as (please check all that apply):

Another question on pronouns and select your gender identity

Reactions: 3 users
Got out of bed to post these, didn't realize no one had posted them yet sorry:

The following questions are part of the Perelman School of Medicine's holistic review process. We recognize that many applicants may not have check boxes or narratives in these areas.
1. Have you taken any online courses for credit? Y/N

2. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? Y/N and list

3. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation?
If Y: Please describe your activities during this time in 500 characters or less.

4. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? Y/N (Probably a prompt if you select yes, I selected no)

5. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) Y/N
If Y: Please explain and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

6. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? Y/N
If Y; Please explain briefly in 1,000 characters:

7. Have you been employed at the University of Pennsylvania Health System or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and worked with a Penn faculty mentor? If yes, please indicate name, department, phone number of faculty, and start/end dates Y/N

8. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:

9. Sexual and Gender Identity (optional)

The Perelman School of Medicine seeks to foster a safe and welcoming environment for all students. In this spirit, the following optional questions are asked about sexual orientation and gender identity.

You may choose to answer, one, both or none of these questions. This will not have any impact on your application and will not be shared as part of the admissions process. Rather, this information will enable us to better facilitate any visit that you have to the School of Medicine.

If none of the following designations adequately describe how you identify, please feel free to elaborate in the option marked “Other.” We recognize that improving our understanding of sexual and gender identities are a continuous process, and welcome your input.

Do you identify as (please check all that apply):

Another question on pronouns and select your gender identity
For number 2, this may be a silly question but does the federal government count as a “state, regional, or national organization”? Like, should I list military awards, honors, recognitions?

For number 2, this may be a silly question but does the federal government count as a “state, regional, or national organization”? Like, should I list military awards, honors, recognitions?
Of course

Does anyone know whether Penn has a definition for "economic hardship"? I know some schools limit it to situations like homelessness while others are more open to relative hardship.

Does anyone know whether Penn has a definition for "economic hardship"? I know some schools limit it to situations like homelessness while others are more open to relative hardship.

I asked this question to an adcom that I highly suspect is at Penn and they said that this question, in particular, is for very severe circumstances involving bankruptcy.

I asked this question to an adcom that I highly suspect is at Penn and they said that this question, in particular, is for very severe circumstances involving bankruptcy.
I had a situation in which if one thing had gone wrong the. bankruptcy would’ve been my only option. Does that count LOL

I had a situation in which if one thing had gone wrong the. bankruptcy would’ve been my only option. Does that count LOL

Maybe. They said in the vast majority of cases it is best not to answer that question.

I took my second semester psych course online, should I list it? They mention online courses but only ask for the course listings of science courses.

1) For "have you taken any online courses", I'm assuming the "any" actually means ANY? The sections that pop up after specifying "yes" specifically asks for science courses though.

2) Would a scholarship offered by my university count if the selection criteria involve state-level accomplishments?

5) "Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)"

Did anyone use this as their diversity or adversity prompt?

1) For "have you taken any online courses", I'm assuming the "any" actually means ANY? The sections that pop up after specifying "yes" specifically asks for science courses though.

2) Would a scholarship offered by my university count if the selection criteria involve state-level accomplishments?

5) "Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)"

Did anyone use this as their diversity or adversity prompt?
For #5 I am going to kind of combine my adversity and diversity essays and see how it works out. If it reads weird, then adversity probably? But only if your adversity is like a personal life challenge.

Secondary received this morning

Would election to Phi Beta Kappa count as a national award?

Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? Y/N

What constitutes a Global Activity?

Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? Y/N

What constitutes a Global Activity?
DEployments, Study abroad, humanitarian efforts, Peace Corps, etc. Basically have you had any international efforts that were not strictly for business or leisure?

Reactions: 2 users

If I'm graduating December, should I put yes? I can't decide if this applies to me or just non-trad applicants and people who plan on deferring.

If I'm graduating December, should I put yes? I can't decide if this applies to me or just non-trad applicants and people who plan on deferring.

Yes, you should answer it

You have time between college graduation and medical school matriculation if you graduate in December. You need to count that as time off and specify what you may be doing between January and May/June.

Submitted MSTP secondary on July 4th to the sound of fireworks. A good omen? I hope so- this is definitely a top 3 program for me!

Submitted MSTP secondary on July 4th to the sound of fireworks. A good omen? I hope so- this is definitely a top 3 program for me!
Let freedom ring like the liberty bell for you are philadelphia bound! *That was cheesy*

>>> Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization?
will UC Regents scholarship consider as an award?

>>> Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization?
will UC Regents scholarship consider as an award?
Do it. Kill it.

I listed like 8 things because YOLO.

On a serious note, if you won anything or gained recognition for anything that extended beyond your individual institution then I would list it.