2019-2020 University of Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II a few minutes ago!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II. Woke up to this pleasant surprise :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know if the "Pre-Interview Connections" the day before is required? It doesn't say optional like it does for coffee hour later, but the event the evening before has been optional at other schools. I'm getting to that awkward point where I'm missing one of my Tuesday/Thursday afternoon seminars every single week in September, and would like to not continue this trend in October.

Anyone know if the "Pre-Interview Connections" the day before is required? It doesn't say optional like it does for coffee hour later, but the event the evening before has been optional at other schools. I'm getting to that awkward point where I'm missing one of my Tuesday/Thursday afternoon seminars every single week in September, and would like to not continue this trend in October.
After I scheduled it had me select yes/no for whether I was coming, so I don't think it's required. And yeah, one of my profs is already annoyed at me because I will be missing so many of her classes, but what can you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II!!! Complete first week of July.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
II, complete 7/19. LM~80. Congrats to everyone else w interviews! adding onto the pre-interview meet and greet thing, does anyone know any older/current med students at penn who can tell us what we do there? gotta decide before buying train tix

Members don't see this ad :)
II, complete 7/19. LM~80. Congrats to everyone else w interviews! adding onto the pre-interview meet and greet thing, does anyone know any older/current med students at penn who can tell us what we do there? gotta decide before buying train tix
completely unnecessary. Doesn't affect anything and all it is is meeting with students for an hour. Nobody's going to remember who you are or care if you went. I'd go if you have nothing better to do but don't do it if it adds stress / money to your travel.

Reactions: 1 user
Does this mean our parents before we were born or extended family members? 'Have you or your family experienced economic hardships?'
No. It is asking whether your family with you or you by yourself experienced economic hardships.

for state or regional awards, can we mention things like national merit etc?
I left that blank LOL and still got an II...
that feel when your UG doesn't give out dean's list or anything

Got an II yesterday!! I was complete 7/28.

Reactions: 2 users
How long after submitting did you guys see Letters marked as received? I know AMCAS sent over my commitee letter but the portal has it as NOT received :(

For those who already got an II: what days of the week do they do interviews?

Got an II from Jeff, which interviews on Wednesdays, and I'm wondering if Penn does Tuesdays or Thursdays. That way I could consider sending an ITA email (anyone know if they are receptive?)

Anyone w an II notice a change in their status on the portal right before II to something other than “complete”? Anything like under review, processing, etc?

Anyone w an II notice a change in their status on the portal right before II to something other than “complete”? Anything like under review, processing, etc?
When I log into my portal I get an error saying my account is temporarily unavailable. Havent gotten an II email so not sure what this means. Anyone else know?

• Wow
I have only seen contrarian indicators from Stanford this year where all their initial IIs as announced on SDN were low 70s for LizzyM.
Has it been like that in past cycles? Maybe they poach the early low LM applicants for better odds? I am a 74.5...love me Stanford.

Also, being that this is the Penn forum, love me too penn!

• Haha
I have only seen contrarian indicators from Stanford this year where all their initial IIs as announced on SDN were low 70s for LizzyM.
Don't think that that's entirely the case. I got an II from Stanford and my LM is on the high side.

Don't think that that's entirely the case. I got an II from Stanford and my LM is on the high side.
I remember seeing at least 3 on Stanford under 75. That is not to say they dont pick high numbers but big name schools are initially making the easy high stat big school name picks to get them out of the way before they move to holistic.

• Wow
Seems like very few SDN’ers with II from Penn compared with other T10s.
I haven’t checked last year’s thread to see when the II notices pick up?

Seems like very few SDN’ers with II from Penn compared with other T10s.
I haven’t checked last year’s thread to see when the II notices pick up?
I have heard that the majority of IIs are sent out in September for Penn.

I have heard that the majority of IIs are sent out in September for Penn.
I just looked at last year’s thread. It seems there was a good size batch sent out ~second week of Sept, a lull, and then started up again in October.

When it asks if you or your family have experienced economic challenges, does that include if your parents grew up in poverty? Or is it just meaning about you when with them?
Lol

When it asks if you or your family have experienced economic challenges, does that include if your parents grew up in poverty? Or is it just meaning about you when with them?
Prob means in your lifetime/what you've experienced in your family, especially if it's had a tangible impact on your life. Like my parents struggled in Maoist China in the 1970s, but I didn't write about it..

Reactions: 4 users
you don't want to write about what your parents grew up in, this might hurt you more than it helps you

only write about things in your lifetime, and probably only the if you actually remember it and it impacted your memorable life (last 10-15 years)

you don't want to write about what your parents grew up in, this might hurt you more than it helps you

only write about things in your lifetime, and probably only the if you actually remember it and it impacted your memorable life (last 10-15 years)
On the contrary, I have reviewed one PS that talked about how his family fled the Khumar Rouge (Cambodian Genocide in the late 70s) and how that influenced his upbringing. While I do not think it is specifically applicable in this particular UPenn case, talking about parents for a brief bit seems fine to me.

On the contrary, I have reviewed one PS that talked about how his family fled the Khumar Rouge (Cambodian Genocide in the late 70s) and how that influenced his upbringing. While I do not think it is specifically applicable in this particular UPenn case, talking about parents for a brief bit seems fine to me.
Your family can also mean spouse and children.

Your family can also mean spouse and children.
True, although I think the intent of the question is specifically financial issues that may have been influential on one’s path to medicine.

So I just got a letter in the mail stating that I am complete and that this years applican pool is especially competitive yadda yadda. It made special referene to the fact that children of Perelman alumni (I happen to be one) have stats comparable to their medians (I have stats like that too). Should I make anything of this? Did anyone else get this letter? I found it a little weird for them to go out of their way to mail me a letter about being complete?

So I just got a letter in the mail stating that I am complete and that this years applican pool is especially competitive yadda yadda. It made special referene to the fact that children of Perelman alumni (I happen to be one) have stats comparable to their medians (I have stats like that too). Should I make anything of this? Did anyone else get this letter? I found it a little weird for them to go out of their way to mail me a letter about being complete?
you are in your own category..

• Haha
Does complete date = date of secondary submission (assuming good everything else submitted)

II! Complete 8/9. Interview date scheduled for October.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users