2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am sure that health equity question was not there when I submitted. Has anything like this happened before?

Reactions: 1 user
I am sure that health equity question was not there when I submitted. Has anything like this happened before?
I'm willing to bet there was just some kind of delay in updating the portal's front-end from last year's prompts because I can't imagine they would purposefully change the question after releasing it. Best case scenario they just accept either answer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty bummed that they changed it because I pre-wrote the secondary for this school and my power answer was one of my favorite essays.

Guys USC wants only 3 LORs max, this is from their website: " A committee letter is sufficient. Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable. Do not send more than 3 letters!"
But my school uses a letter packet that has 5 letters, is that ok??

No matter what/how I write for the "didn't get something you felt like you deserved"...I feel like an entitled kid lol but at the same time I don't want to be like

Is it just me?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
No matter what/how I write for the "didn't get something you felt like you deserved"...I feel like an entitled kid lol but at the same time I don't want to be like

View attachment 270321

Is it just me?

Yeah imo there’s no great way to say “I think I deserved to get this thing and didn’t get it”

Guys USC wants only 3 LORs max, this is from their website: " A committee letter is sufficient. Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable. Do not send more than 3 letters!"
But my school uses a letter packet that has 5 letters, is that ok??

From: https://keck.usc.edu/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/

My committee letter packet has more than (3) letters in it. Is this acceptable?
Committee letter packets containing more than three letters will meet but not exceed the requirement.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I tried calling their office a bunch of times to ask about the prompt change issue, no answer.

I thought I was the only one bamboozled by the change in prompt from power to health equity :laugh:

I submitted my secondary and realized that one of my answers was 6 sentences... am i doomed

• Haha
I am having the most fun doing this secondary. I really hope they're not looking for anything too serious.

Anyone know what the max amount of time to reply to these secondaries are? I know people say 2 weeks, but is that for specific schools or for all schools and does sending it day of vs 1.5 weeks later make a difference? Asking bc i've put usc aside for a little bit bc of work :(

Anyone know what the max amount of time to reply to these secondaries are? I know people say 2 weeks, but is that for specific schools or for all schools and does sending it day of vs 1.5 weeks later make a difference? Asking bc i've put usc aside for a little bit bc of work :(
The earlier the better, but if you're sacrificing quality for time, then it's not worth it. 2 weeks is the implicit expectation, but if you really need to go to 3 weeks for one, then no one's gonna throw a fit over it.

How many words are each of your answers... I have a problem with writing too much lol

How many words are each of your answers... I have a problem with writing too much lol
I didn’t even count words. But I think I wrote a lot lmao... semicolons, hyphens, colons... anything that let me say more but stay within that 5 sentence limit :D

I didn’t even count words. But I think I wrote a lot lmao... semicolons, hyphens, colons... anything that let me say more but stay within that 5 sentence limit :D
With some well-positioned conjunctions, you can say almost anything in 5 sentences.

Anybody got any update for those of us that got the short end of the stick? :D

"Dear EmbryonalCarcinoma,

Since your secondary application was submitted to our school from July 1-3, 2019, you may have received an essay prompt from last year (“If you had the power to change anything, what would it be?”), or the current prompt (“What does health equity mean to you?”) . Whichever prompt you answered is entirely acceptable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you,

Office of Admissions"

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
"Dear EmbryonalCarcinoma,

Since your secondary application was submitted to our school from July 1-3, 2019, you may have received an essay prompt from last year (“If you had the power to change anything, what would it be?”), or the current prompt (“What does health equity mean to you?”) . Whichever prompt you answered is entirely acceptable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you,

Office of Admissions"

I got the same email. Bless because that power essay was way more fun to write.

I didn’t get any response to my email yet. But thank you guys for updating
Hopefully it comes soon

II! Submitted secondary 7/3 I think

Reactions: 5 users
I got the same email. Bless because that power essay was way more fun to write.

More fun to write but knowing me I’d spend 3 hours debating which superpower I want because I want all of them

II!!! Submitted secondary 7/5!

Reactions: 3 users
2ndary rec'd 7/2, submitted 7/6
IS
Good luck all! :cat:

What do they expect to hear with that "Have you previously applied? What was the outcome?" Imma just write like "not good". What do you think the outcome was?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users