2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do they expect to hear with that "Have you previously applied? What was the outcome?" Imma just write like "not good". What do you think the outcome was?

I think they're just trying to make sure you're not the type of person to turn down an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Also about that whole equity thing. I wrote like 1 sentence about what it means to me and the rest of the essay on how to obtain it. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Also about that whole equity thing. I wrote like 1 sentence about what it means to me and the rest of the essay on how to obtain it. Anyone else?

Personally I just wrote about the types of inequity I've seen during the various clinical/community engagements I've been involved in, and how they have motivated me in my journey. I didn't feel like I had nearly enough space to make any meaningful discussion about how to address it on a policy level haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I just wrote about the types of inequity I've seen during the various clinical/community engagements I've been involved in, and how they have motivated me in my journey. I didn't feel like I had nearly enough space to make any meaningful discussion about how to address it on a policy level haha.
Damn that's a better answer. :thinking:

Just submitted (woo! my first secondary is in). I got both the received and the complete email, which I was confused by because i'm still waiting on one of my LORs. Does this mean I can get an II even though the letter isn't in yet??

Reactions: 2 users
again, can somebody post the prompts lol
Short answers are same as last year (Most fun you've had recently, nickname, what charity would you donate to, describe something you didn't get you felt you deserved). All of these are 3-5 sentences. The main essay has been changed to: What does health equity mean to you? 150 words or less.

I just saw that they changed the essay prompt from the "power to change anything" to the "health equity" one. I wrote and submitted the power one because that was the prompt on the portal when I first received the secondary...I must not have caught the change in the prompt when I submitted on the 6th. Does anyone have an idea if this will be an issue, since I submitted after the 3rd? Trying not to freak out too much atm

I just saw that they changed the essay prompt from the "power to change anything" to the "health equity" one. I wrote and submitted the power one because that was the prompt on the portal when I first received the secondary...I must not have caught the change in the prompt when I submitted on the 6th. Does anyone have an idea if this will be an issue, since I submitted after the 3rd? Trying not to freak out too much atm
I would email admissions.

read through the comments, you WILL find your answer, I guarantee it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would email admissions.

Please look at the previous posts on this topic.

Yeah I read the past discussion. The reason I asked was because I submitted my secondary on the 6th and the email from the adcom for the other student said "since your secondary application was submitted to our school from July 1-3, 2019"....So I was wondering if it'd be an issue since I submitted after the 3rd. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I read the past discussion. The reason I asked was because I submitted my secondary on the 6th and the email from the adcom for the other student said "since your secondary application was submitted to our school from July 1-3, 2019"....So I was wondering if it'd be an issue since I submitted after the 3rd. Any ideas?

Wait so you saw the question, went to write it, came back, saw that it had changed, and submitted anyway????

I had not realized there was a change in the prompt until I saw someone else mention it online, after I had submitted everything. I wouldn't have done it on purpose.

So the secondary asks if you are a part of a URM group. I am Hispanic (fully fluent in Spanish and medical interpreter) but not Mexican or Puerto Rican, my parents are from South America. What am I supposed to put? I don't want to ruin my chances if they don't consider all Hispanics to be URM. My extracurriculars are focused on the medically underserved Latino community. Thanks!

So the secondary asks if you are a part of a URM group. I am Hispanic (fully fluent in Spanish and medical interpreter) but not Mexican or Puerto Rican, my parents are from South America. What am I supposed to put? I don't want to ruin my chances if they don't consider all Hispanics to be URM. My extracurriculars are focused on the medically underserved Latino community. Thanks!

If you're hispanic you're URM, doesn't matter if you aren't Mexican because hispanics as a whole are underrepresented in medicine.

For the most fun you've had lately, I wanted to talk about a time I went ziplining, but I know in general you shouldn't write about stuff like sky diving in case an adcom is more conservative/frowns up adrenaline-y activities. Do you guys think this is ok or does it fall under that category?

in case an adcom is more conservative/frowns up adrenaline-y activities.

I can't see why they'd have a problem with ziplining, or even skydiving for that matter. Neither carries a significant risk of injury or death.

Are secondary’s just writing essays and short answers or do they ask for criminal history again?

guys! II !!!! this is so early!!! OOS if that helps anyone and complete 7/4. I dunno my lizzy m like mid 70 I think?

Reactions: 5 users
Hello!! On the admissions website, it says interviews are held from August - March. But when selecting the interview, I can only choose dates in September. Does anyone know if the August dates got filled up?

• Wow
Hello!! On the admissions website, it says interviews are held from August - March. But when selecting the interview, I can only choose dates in September. Does anyone know if the August dates got filled up?
That’s what I assumed

Reactions: 1 users
II today, completed 7/6, LizzyM ~77, OOS. Crazy awesome surprise that came out of nowhere while working on other secondaries! Interview dates are currently for early/mid September.

Reactions: 6 users
For those with IIs ... are y’all gonna wait until like August til contact about student hosting? I feel like now would be too early

Secondary received. IS, verified 7/11

Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide if I want to add this school to my app list. I've just been thinking I want to add more CA schools to my list. Not a CA resident but I was born there and I want to end up back there someday. Not sure if I should waste the money, especially since some IIs have already gone out. Thoughts? 514/3.75/3.70

Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide if I want to add this school to my app list. I've just been thinking I want to add more CA schools to my list. Not a CA resident but I was born there and I want to end up back there someday. Not sure if I should waste the money, especially since some IIs have already gone out. Thoughts? 514/3.75/3.70
Not sure of your financial situation, but if you really want to come to Cali for MD, then do it. If you can afford it, this is a drop in the bucket to the amount of debt you'll be in after medical school.

Hey guys,

I submitted my app today and my letters yesterday. The portal says that my letters have been received but my app isn't complete yet. Did that happen to anyone else?

i think you should go for it.

If I submitted 7/5 and not heard anything but somebody who submitted on 7/6 got an interview, does that mean they saw my app and decided to not give an interview? ):

If I submitted 7/5 and not heard anything but somebody who submitted on 7/6 got an interview, does that mean they saw my app and decided to not give an interview? ):
Not necessarily. I’m in the same boat btw.

Submitted 7/3 here. Haven’t heard back either, but it’s super early in the cycle. Keck might have some way of sorting us applicants that brings those with other experiences to the top, but doesn’t totally eliminate us from consideration. We’ll know where we stand come November.

Oh god, I realized the photo I submitted was sideways. How screwed am I? :smack:

Am I super screwed for sending 4 LORs instead of three? I did not realize that I added a fourth by mistake, should I contact admissions or am I being neurotic af?