About the Ads
About the Ads

ppushpak

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
@ppushpak I appreciate the responses.

Also, being someone who has never been in med school before, I am unclear about what a typical med school schedule looks like. I know it varies for everyone, but roughly from what time to what time are you in classes or doing something related to med school?

For those who decide to not to attend class, are they just in their room all the time studying?

Also, random but out of curiosity, does VCU have tutoring services for students who are having trouble with classes? If so, how’s the quality and who are the tutors (I.e. professors, older students)?

I know that some students shadow during M1. If you are interested in shadowing, does VCU connect you with opportunities? Or do you have to find them yourself?

From your experience, how do you fit research into your med school schedule?

Another question I had is what is it like to make new friends at VCU? I’m guessing that you’re able to make friends during the first few weeks of med school due to orientation. But when people stop attending classes, how can you actually meet these people? Or, is it at that point you’re limited to making friends who attend class and social events?

I know that there is not a second look. When is the best time I should visit to learn more about VCU?

I apologize for the many questions, and thank you so much for taking the time to reply to them.

@Morc @ppushpak @NeuroticButCute
1. I'll get back to this question at another time

2. I study in my room but there's plenty of spaces to study on/off campus. Cabell Library is on the undergrad campus. Tompkin's McCaw is on the Med School Campus. The medical school building has many side rooms where you can study. In the afternoon you can study in the lecture hall. There's a student activities building that has study space. I've had friends study in coffee shops (there's many).

3. This year, a tutoring program called PALS (Peer Assisted Learning) was implemented where underclassmen can connect to upperclassmen. Upperclassmen sign up for subjects they are proficient in. You reach out to them to set up tutoring. All of this is free to the student.

4. There are student interest groups in most specialities that can connect you to shadowing opportunities. It's not too hard to find opportunities. Most docs wants med students checking out their speciality

5. Some Student Interest Groups will collect info from faculty on their needs in research. There are many opportunities. Some you may have to seek out but not too hard to find an opportunity.

6. Orientation week is very nice - it's almost a full 2 weeks. Amazing time and you have a lot of fun and meet people. After those first few weeks, the school does a good job exposing you to people you know and don't know. We get shuffled a lot in groups. Every pre-clinical semester we get a new table group. Anatomy groups. We have small groups where we learn physical exams. When we practice clinical medicine with standardized patients we get paired with someone. There are many more ways but just a small preview of how many different ways we can meet people.

7. Best time to visit - I will defer this question to someone else bc tbh I'm not quite sure haha. Anytime is probably good

Last edited:
Reactions: HappEness

HappEness

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
1. I'll get back to this question at another time

2. I study in my room but there's plenty of spaces to study on/off campus. Cabell Library is on the undergrad campus. Tompkin's McCaw is on the Med School Campus. The medical school building has many side rooms where you can study. In the afternoon you can study in the lecture hall. There's a student activities building that has study space. I've had friends study in coffee shops (there's many).

3. This year, a tutoring program called PALS (Peer Assisted Learning) was implemented where underclassmen can connect to upperclassmen. Upperclassmen sign up for subjects they are proficient in. You reach out to them to set up tutoring. All of this is free to the student.

4. There are student interest groups in most specialities that can connect you to shadowing opportunities. It's not too hard to find opportunities. Most docs wants med students checking out the school

5. Some Student Interest Groups will collect info from faculty on their needs in research. There are many opportunities. Some you may have to seek out but not too hard to find an opportunity.

6. Orientation week is very nice - it's almost a full 2 weeks. Amazing time and you have a lot of fun and meet people. After those first few weeks, the school does a good job exposing you to people you know and don't know. We get shuffled a lot in groups. Every pre-clinical semester we get a new table group. Anatomy groups. We have small groups where we learn physical exams. When we practice clinical medicine with standardized patients we get paired with someone. There are many more ways but just a small preview of how many different ways we can meet people.

7. Best time to visit - I will defer this question to someone else bc tbh I'm not quite sure haha. Anytime is probably good
Thank you so much @ppushpak for taking the time to answer many of my questions. I really appreciate it

About the Ads
Dec 17, 2018
To clarify if you were put on hold today you were considered and not offered an A today. Sorry if that is disappointing but I’ve said this many times only about 200/700 get accepted on the four dates with approx 100 being pulled off waitlist.

Reactions: awklittlefoot

esperanzarising9

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2017
@ppushpak and other current VCU students:

1. Are exams at VCU based on NBME unit finals?

2. If not, do you think studying for VCU classes helps a lot with studying for step 1?

Thanks in advance answering these questions :)

purplemose10

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Are people getting rejection letters on these designated committee review dates? I interviewed like 11/9 -- still no tabs or email updates :/ Just trying to figure out if I should tell myself I've been rejected or maybe I'll end up on the WL.

keelhaul

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Are people getting rejection letters on these designated committee review dates? I interviewed like 11/9 -- still no tabs or email updates :/ Just trying to figure out if I should tell myself I've been rejected or maybe I'll end up on the WL.
If you’ve gotten the “hold” status post-II, then as far as I’m aware for now you are safe from a rejection. On these committee dates, you can expect either an acceptance, or total silence. Then in mid-March all of us who’ve heard nothing but silence will be informed whether or not we have been placed on the waitlist. If you don’t get placed on the waitlist at that point, you’re rejected.

Reactions: ppushpak

purplemose10

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If you’ve gotten the “hold” status post-II, then as far as I’m aware for now you are safe from a rejection. On these committee dates, you can expect either an acceptance, or total silence. Then in mid-March all of us who’ve heard nothing but silence will be informed whether or not we have been placed on the waitlist. If you don’t get placed on the waitlist at that point, you’re rejected.
Ahh well thanks for the insight. The painful waiting continues!

About the Ads

ppushpak

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
@ppushpak and other current VCU students:

1. Are exams at VCU based on NBME unit finals?

2. If not, do you think studying for VCU classes helps a lot with studying for step 1?

Thanks in advance answering these questions :)
Not NBME exams, will let older people comment on how classes help with STEP as I haven't taken it. Many of our curriculum deans/faculty write for STEP/NBME so I'd believe that the class material is relevant

HappEness

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I heard from one of my tour guides that VCU is including free qbanks for step? Ofc I realize that it’s a part of the tuition package but wanted to confirm that this is true. Also, if so, what company are the qbanks from?

@ppushpak

ppushpak

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I heard from one of my tour guides that VCU is including free qbanks for step? Ofc I realize that it’s a part of the tuition package but wanted to confirm that this is true. Also, if so, what company are the qbanks from?

@ppushpak
USMLE-RX

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Non-Student
Does the MSAR list the first day of class for 2020? I lost access and don't want to spend $25 to find out...

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Arizona
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
MSAR shows August 03, 2020. You don't need to pay for MSAR for the 'Overview' information.

Feb 1, 2020
Status
Medical Student
Are doing these QBank practice questions mandatory/built into the curriculum, have you found it to be helpful even during 1st year? I've heard most students wait until second year to start using them because sometimes it doesn't line up with with the curriculum.

ppushpak

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
VCU is an accelerated curriculum so we start systems in Spring Semester of M1. We are given a few QBank questions (30-60) that line up with our curriculum block to finish so we get accustomed to USMLE style questions. We are also encouraged to start UWorld on our own in March of Spring M1.

Medsthetic

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
i have an interview next week anyone have any suggested accomodations? airbnb/hotel etc? I will be driving

Oct 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Would also like to know when second look is if anyone knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
When is second look day? I have been accepted but haven't heard anything about it yet.

I got an email for a meet and greet on Fri March 27th at 7pm with thinfant continuing until Sat. at 3pm. I assume this is their second look, idk. Says it’s the SNMA/LMSA weekend.

ppushpak

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
@ppushpak could you talk about your overall schedule as a M1? (the time of day you're in classes etc) Thanks!
From 8 AM to 12 PM we have lecture pertaining to the block. Our class is split up into 4 societies and based on your society you will have a certain schedule in the afternoon
There are some weeks where I will have only 1 class in the afternoon and there are some weeks where we will have many (around 3 but can be more or less) afternoons that are busy.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put screenshots of our schedule here so I will ask our curriculum office before I do. If I'm not allowed I'll just create a template

Current students: which apartments do you recommend?
Answered in the Facebook group!

Last I heard, the second look will be virtual this year. They didn't have one last year for everyone, I believe it was for select students. I will follow up with the admissions office on this

About the Ads