2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the great stats homie, but there is more to it than just that. Maybe they were yield protecting, maybe you didn't fit their mission, maybe your secondaries weren't great in their eyes. No way to know, best to just control what you can and let go what you can't!
Probably not yield protection. I have similar stats and submitted day 1 and havent had a rejection yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question about this part of VCU's secondary: "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)"

Are they just referring to breaks during undergrad? I didn't take any breaks during undergrad but I took a gap year after graduating and am in grad school now. I feel like I should leave this blank but just want to be sure.

I think I read somewhere in the AAMC website on what to do during/why take a gap year, and within the options they presented was take a post-bacc or grad courses to better prepare you for med school. So you can argue that any period after graduation is considered a "gap" between undergrad and applying to medical school.

Also, what's the character count on that question? I haven't received my secondary yet. Thanks :)

Dang, also got just rejected after submitting on 7/19. LM 71, OOS, non-trad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! Quick question- Has anyone else already been rejected? I'm in-state with pretty competitive scores and extracurriculars (MCAT 518+, GPA >3.9, did a research fellowship in the UK, etc). I submitted my secondary on Thursday, and on Friday I got rejected. I'm a little weirded out by that. I feel like there's no way they could have fully reviewed my application in 24 hours. Has anyone else had this happen? Or has anyone else heard of something like this? Just trying to understand if I did something wrong/how worried I should be haha.
Sorry to hear :( I'm OOS with 518 MCAT score (but low GPA) and got rejected today after submitting my secondary on Friday. Since it was so damn fast, I'm wondering if it they're making cuts based on CASPer scores (and if that means I bombed it!)...

Sorry to hear :( I'm OOS with 518 MCAT score (but low GPA) and got rejected today after submitting my secondary on Friday. Since it was so damn fast, I'm wondering if it they're making cuts based on CASPer scores (and if that means I bombed it!)...
So I talked to a colleague who works in admissions. She doesn't think VCU is protecting for yield, but they do REALLY value fit and dedication to service, particularly "non-medical" service. Only one of my activities was non-medical service, so she think that might have done it for me. Don't know if that provides any insight?

Reactions: 2 users
So I talked to a colleague who works in admissions. She doesn't think VCU is protecting for yield, but they do REALLY value fit and dedication to service, particularly "non-medical" service. Only one of my activities was non-medical service, so she think that might have done it for me. Don't know if that provides any insight?

Yeah one time I went to a presentation by their dean of admissions and she explained that they value service equally with gpa and MCAT— she compared it to each of those 3 categories being a leg of a stool where each contributes equally to creating a good applicant

Yeah one time I went to a presentation by their dean of admissions and she explained that they value service equally with gpa and MCAT— she compared it to each of those 3 categories being a leg of a stool where each contributes equally to creating a good applicant

Just took some time to look through last year's thread; it does seem like they do quick reviews of apps post-secondary and immediately axe some people. Scary, but at least they're upfront about what they're looking for, I suppose.

Regardless, we might start seeing some invites this week or the next!

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. My app isnt extremely heavy on service per say. Probably 150 hours of clinical service 150 hours of nonclinical service, but I do have a lot of work experience in public health and I wonder if they are factoring that in...

I've heard that same speech by the dean haha. It's a good analogy

That is helpful - thank you!

Interesting. My app isnt extremely heavy on service per say. Probably 150 hours of clinical service 150 hours of nonclinical service, but I do have a lot of work experience in public health and I wonder if they are factoring that in...
Here's hoping! They clearly like something you're doing. Best of luck getting that interview!

Here's hoping! They clearly like something you're doing. Best of luck getting that interview!
Thanks! It might also just be a different set out review criteria for MD/PhD applicants, no way of telling :/

Members don't see this ad :)
What does everyone's status say in their portal? (if you haven't been rejected...)

What does everyone's status say in their portal? (if you haven't been rejected...)
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."
My status updated then:

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

Reactions: 3 users
My status updated then:

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.
That is the message from last year. I am sure they mean the same thing.

I had the previous statement about a "member of the subcommittee" yesterday.

It looks like each app is reviewed by a sub committee member, then a committee member to determine if you get a II

I had the previous statement about a "member of the subcommittee" yesterday.
I really wouldn't look into it-- VCU is all about the tabs. Portal message changes don't really mean anything, especially when they say virtually the same thing.

It looks like each app is reviewed by a sub committee member, then a committee member to determine if you get a II
Okay I think people are getting a little confused. The subcomittee is members of the admissions committee. They are not two different entities. I really do not think anything is happening here.

For reference, mine now says the subcommittee thing too. The portal just says weird things sometimes.

Just checked my portal for the first time in a week or so, and it says "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Does anyone else's say the same thing? Since its still not an II or Rejection, I feel like I should just take this with a grain of salt lol

At this point and time it is not a good or bad thing. If you get to sept/oct with the same message then it becomes more of a bad thing. Interviews have not even been sent out yet.

This is what dean mission said about this message in past threads: "As you progress through the tiered process of review, your file will be binned and held at certain points. Your message indicates you have reached the terminal point of file review. Depending upon your score, you may or may not receive an interview. Given the message you received, it seems likely you are an out-of-state resident. VCU typically interviews ~635 people, so interview slots will be filled with applicants as they are available and in conjunction with their file review scores."

to everyone who already got a rejection email, first of all, their loss! Second, I'm wondering if your status ever said "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." and if so, how long did it remain that way before changing to rejection?

to everyone who already got a rejection email, first of all, their loss! Second, I'm wondering if your status ever said "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." and if so, how long did it remain that way before changing to rejection?
Might have said it for a day? I got two emails saying their was a status update. I assume the first status update was the completion. I didn't have time to log in and see though.:D

Be apprised that interview invitations have not been extended to anyone as of yet; there are no automatic interviews that are given. All applicants that have been file reviewed will be placed in line to receive a potential interview invite, depending on score and interview slot availability. Further, interview invitations will not be extended to applicants unless and until a CASPer score has been received.

Reactions: 17 users
Upcoming interview dates:

August - 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 28
September - 10, 12, 17, 18, 24
October - 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 17, 29, 31

Reactions: 12 users
Upcoming interview dates:

August - 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 28
September - 10, 12, 17, 18, 24
October - 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 17, 29, 31

When do you anticipate the first interviews being sent out ? And I know this may be hard to say but how much is the casper worth now? Is it enough to make or break a candidate ? Thanks dean mission :)

Be apprised that interview invitations have not been extended to anyone as of yet; there are no automatic interviews that are given. All applicants that have been file reviewed will be placed in line to receive a potential interview invite, depending on score and interview slot availability. Further, interview invitations will not be extended to applicants unless and until a CASPer score has been received.
Thank you for the update. Last year it was noted that CASPer scores will only be utilized during the discussion for admission ranking which occurs immediately after your interview. Is this still true? Or are you using CASPer scores to determine interview invitations?

Thank you for the update. Last year it was noted that CASPer scores will only be utilized during the discussion for admission ranking which occurs immediately after your interview. Is this still true? Or are you using CASPer scores to determine interview invitations?
It said I believe in the secondary portal update that they will be used this year to determine interview invites as well.

After writing a ton of similar essays for different schools, the clinic question on this secondary was actually really refreshing and fun to write. Really makes me like VCU a lot more

Reactions: 10 users
Hey all, I screwed up and didn't read the portal email (received July 8th) and didn't realize I had a secondary until today. I turned it in literally now, and am super scared about what my chances are.

The huge amount of secondaries I received made me not read the fine print of the admissions portal as I was drowning in a whole lotta work.

From what I see some people have already received rejections (yikes!!)

Hey all, I screwed up and didn't read the portal email (received July 8th) and didn't realize I had a secondary until today. I turned it in literally now, and am super scared about what my chances are.

The huge amount of secondaries I received made me not read the fine print of the admissions portal as I was drowning in a whole lotta work.

From what I see some people have already received rejections (yikes!!)
It is july my dude :) no need to fret.

hi sir, is there anything we can do to let the committee know scores are on the way?

thank you

Does anyone have any idea when the first IIs will be offered? Especially if interviews start 8/13...

Does anyone have any idea when the first IIs will be offered? Especially if interviews start 8/13...

Last year it was around Aug. 1 sooo maybe this week sometime or early next week?

Also the vast majority of their early II's go out to IS applicants as well. OOS applicants are more openly invited in the following months.

Rejected. LM 70, 600 nonclinical hours, 300 clinical hours :(

Complete on Sunday. Portal changed to admission committee will do a review of the app. Just checked again right now. It changed from committee to sub-committee will do a review of the app. Received no email regarding this second change. Casper score isn’t in.

Complete on Sunday. Portal changed to admission committee will do a review of the app. Just checked again right now. It changed from committee to sub-committee will do a review of the app. Received no email regarding this second change. Casper score isn’t in.
Seems like this is the same for everyone — might be that’s first quick rejection stage others are expecting. But I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Rejected. LM 70, 600 nonclinical hours, 300 clinical hours :(
I'm so sorry! Good luck with the rest of your cycle though! Would you mind sharing when you were complete and if you're IS or OOS?