2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MMI questions! Does anyone know whether VCU's MMI format includes actor scenarios? Also will most interviewers have follow-up questions? I'm having a hard time getting my answers to last anywhere near 7 minutes...
No and yes.

Members don't see this ad.

MD/PhD II

Reapplicant. Crying rn

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need a CASPER score before they will consider us for an interview? Has anyone gotten an interview without sending in the score yet?

You do this it the first year your need casper to be complete. It was in the portal message when you received your secondary. They’re using it for interview selection.

Reactions: 1 users
From VCU's website: "The MMI process will consist of nine questions. The first question is a traditional interview question and will be asked by all of the interviewers."

When we answer the "traditional" question during the MMI, do we assume that they have not seen our file?

II OOS! MD applicant, complete 7/12/19. LizzyM ~75.

Does anyone know VCU’s post-II acceptance rate for OOS?

Reactions: 3 users
II OOS! MD applicant, complete 7/12/19. LizzyM ~75.

Does anyone know VCU’s post-II acceptance rate for OOS?
Congrats! According to a spreadsheet I found on SDN their post-II acceptance rate is 62%.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Fingers crossed!
That acceptance rate is not accurate. They interviewed a lot more people last year (over 700) and had less spots to give (30 less) because of the discontinuation of the fairfax inova campus option.

OOS - interview 300, accept 191, 81 matriculated (64% post II acceptance rate)
IS - interview 277, accept 177, 103 matriculated (64% post II acceptance rate)
I’m saying this is no longer accurate. Dean mission did a AMA in last year’s thread and said they interviewed over 700. Your numbers add up to 577.

Just got the II for the MD/PhD program! I am so hyped, was not expecting this!

OOS, cGPA 3.95, sGPA 3.98, MCAT 518

Reactions: 12 users
II today!! My first interview and one of my top schools. I’m through the roof!

IS, LM~69

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks! I believe 7/8.

Were your casper scores in by this date too? I sent in the secondary 7/19 but my casper scores weren't sent until 8/1. VCU is one of my tops schools so fingers crossed!

Were your casper scores in by this date too? I sent in the secondary 7/19 but my casper scores weren't sent until 8/1. VCU is one of my tops schools so fingers crossed!
I believe they were in at this date. best of luck!

Forgot to post on here, but OOS II as of 8/8!
MCAT 518, GPA 3.98..

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know how hard the screen is? Got a secondary and not sure if I should fill it out. Im oos

From VCU's website: "The MMI process will consist of nine questions. The first question is a traditional interview question and will be asked by all of the interviewers."

When we answer the "traditional" question during the MMI, do we assume that they have not seen our file?
Interesting. I cannot check my portal currently but I believe my II stated there were only 7 questions with one being traditional.

Anyone know how hard the screen is? Got a secondary and not sure if I should fill it out. Im oos
I went to an open house where they said "You need a 3.3 and 503 to get your foot in the door." But not sure if that's an absolute hard screen or general recommendation though...

I went to an open house where they said "You need a 3.3 and 503 to get your foot in the door." But not sure if that's an absolute hard screen or general recommendation though...
Is that for IS only or both? That seems like a loose screen unless VCU puts lots of emphasis on ECs moreso than other schools.

Is that for IS only or both? That seems like a loose screen unless VCU puts lots of emphasis on ECs moreso than other schools.
They didn’t specify any differences between IS and OOS requirements at the open house so I’m not sure

VCU is REALLY big on community service, specifically non-clinical. I'd say you're more likely to get screened out on that basis than on stats

VCU is REALLY big on community service, specifically non-clinical. I'd say you're more likely to get screened out on that basis than on stats
I know it's been said multiple times in the thread that VCU highly values non-clinical volunteering, but I only had 200 hours. Granted, I had 1000 hours of clinical volunteering, but my stats are very average, I'm OOS, and I received an II in mid-July. I'm not refuting the fact that VCU loves non-clinical volunteering, but for those of you without a ton of it, there is hope.

• Love
I know it's been said multiple times in the thread that VCU highly values non-clinical volunteering, but I only had 200 hours. Granted, I had 1000 hours of clinical volunteering, but my stats are very average, I'm OOS, and I received an II in mid-July. I'm not refuting the fact that VCU loves non-clinical volunteering, but for those of you without a ton of it, there is hope.
Yeah don't get me wrong, you don't have to have an astronomical amount of hours. I got an II as well and I had even fewer than you did. I was more-so referring to them screening and rejecting for having little to no non-clinical volunteer hours at all, while most other schools wouldn't screen for that, or at least it wouldn't be a main criteria they use to screen.

got overly excited and thought i got an II but no it was just being marked complete... why can't they just say what it is in the email instead of making us logon to the portal? :yeahright:

Just logged into the portal and noticed my status changed from subcommittee review to this:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Does anyone know how long it takes to go from this status to II or rejection...??

Just logged into the portal and noticed my status changed from subcommittee review to this:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Does anyone know how long it takes to go from this status to II or rejection...??
This year a few people got this and it turned into a II. Last year people had this status until they were rejected pre-II in May. It just means that your file has received a score and if it meets the II cut off you will get one.

This year a few people got this and it turned into a II. Last year people had this status until they were rejected pre-II in May. It just means that your file has received a score and if it meets the II cut off you will get one.
Wow review complete but no rejection notice till May? If I'm rejected I wish they'd just tell me as soon as possible lol

Secondary complete today. IS, reapplicant from WL last year. LEGGOOO

Reactions: 2 users

I've had this status about a week or more and people who were complete later than me have gotten II so...

Wow review complete but no rejection notice till May? If I'm rejected I wish they'd just tell me as soon as possible lol
Why are some of us so fixated on what statuses say? There’s nothing else for you to do but wait, so don’t stress about it!

Reactions: 2 users
Why are some of us so fixated on what statuses say? There’s nothing else for you to do but wait, so don’t stress about it!
Because sometimes the statuses have meaning. Just wait until people start obsessing over the “tabs” on the acceptance dates.

Does anyone know for sure what kind of format VCU's MMI interview takes? As in, do they do any actor scenarios or teamwork stations? Or is it just straight up, you describing your answer/what you'd do in a given situation to the interviewer?

Went from "sub-committee review" to "review complete" in about ~7 hours. Does this mean anything? IS fwiw