2019-2020 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else apply through the EDP? If so, have you received an invite to interview yet or will those be sent out on (or after) August 1st?

All interviews will be sent out starting August, tho it might be a bit later into the month cause of that whole reapplicant essay issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted secondary 7/29, complete 7/29. Esketit

Anyone else apply through the EDP? If so, have you received an invite to interview yet or will those be sent out on (or after) August 1st?
I am! According to last years thread they sent out interviews mid august and had most EDP applicants interview the last 2 weeks of august.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Wayne screen primaries now? I didn't receive this email last year if I remember correctly

"Thank you for applying to Wayne State University School of Medicine. We look forward to reviewing your materials. Your verified application has been forwarded from AMCAS. During our preliminary review process, please allow 1-2 weeks for updates to your application."

Does Wayne screen primaries now? I didn't receive this email last year if I remember correctly

"Thank you for applying to Wayne State University School of Medicine. We look forward to reviewing your materials. Your verified application has been forwarded from AMCAS. During our preliminary review process, please allow 1-2 weeks for updates to your application."

Well I remember reading their FAQ that they just screen for the fact that you actually have 3 years of GPA and planning to do/did the MCAT.

Seems like they updated the tracker. They're starting at almost 5400 applications.

Reactions: 5 users
Seems like they updated the tracker. They're starting at almost 5400 applications.
View attachment 274339
On MSAR they topped out at 8652 apps. I wonder if the number this year will be similar.

Side note, they interview about 10% of applicants and how indoctrinated am I that that number sounds high to me

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
On MSAR they topped out at 8652 apps. I wonder if the number this year will be similar.

Side note, they interview about 10% of applicants and how indoctrinated am I that that number sounds high to me

The number of apps last cycle was closer to 10,000, so that number may be more accurate

Friend got II today - OOS EDP applicant; options for interview were Aug 12, Aug 26, Sept 6

Thanks for letting us know. Do you know if EDP interviews are held on the same days as regular decision?

In state EDP. Submitted secondaries 7/19. Received an II this morning!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got my interview invite too as EDP :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did everyone get their interview invite? By email or portal? I didn't get anything.

Well I didn't get anything in my email; is this really how it's going to end for me?! :eek:

Well I didn't get anything in my email; is this really how it's going to end for me?! :eek:
All of the interviews don't go out at once! If you didn't get any emails or status changes yet that just means that you're still under review. Which is the case for like 99% of us right now, as it is only August 2nd.

Did you apply EDP? From my understanding you will have a decision on or before October 1, so still plenty of time. For everyone else interviews are sent out into 2020.

Did you apply EDP? From my understanding you will have a decision on or before October 1, so still plenty of time. For everyone else interviews are sent out into 2020.
Yes, EDP; hence the slight neuroticism.

II today! so thankful :) God is good :D

edit: non-EDP

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Just got an II as a non-EDP applicant. LM=70 and completed the first week of july i think

Reactions: 5 users
Really like this school, praying for that II!!

I just submitted my secondary application and when I look at my application status it says that my letters of rec were still not received and that my application status is incomplete even though all my letters have been sent. Can someone please help me with is

I just submitted my secondary application and when I look at my application status it says that my letters of rec were still not received and that my application status is incomplete even though all my letters have been sent. Can someone please help me with is
It did the same for me for a week or so. Sometimes it takes them a while to download your letters. Don’t worry, it’s totally normal!

So is everyone with an II OOS?

Edit: non-EDP I mean

Quite a few EDP students got IIs, also some non-EDPs
Yeah I see some non-EDPs got them today (congrats to them btw!!). I was wondering if the people who applied normal decision and got an II were IS or OOS.

Yeah I see some non-EDPs got them today (congrats to them btw!!). I was wondering if the people who applied normal decision and got an II were IS or OOS.

If it was anything like it was last cycle, there should be a decent amount of IS applicants (non-EDP) present at the interview dates that start up in September. So I wouldn't worry much even if you see some OOS applicants getting IIs right now!

Did you end up getting a secondary? I was just verified today and received this email an hour ago. It’s nice that they’re confirming they got my primary, but it definitely caught me off guard lol idk if it means anything

Sorry for the last response, but yeah I got the secondary a couple days later. I was definitely caught off guard at first with this too

Would be cool to hear if anyone has some insight to share regarding how to actually do well on the interview. Scary times for first time II people haha.

Which day did EDP applicants choose to interview?

II. OOS. LM 73. Completed 7/16.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone, I wanted to ask your opinions on 2 of the prompts.

If you could tell the admissions committee one thing unique about yourself that isn’t medically related, what would it be? (1000 Characters)
- For this one, I was thinking of writing about my sense for adventure when it comes to traveling, and how although it has provided me with great experiences/lessons learned, it has also lead to some close encounters where my life was at risk (i.e. driving through the mountains of Crete in a rented vehicle that turned out to be unfit for the terrain, had a very close call with falling off the side of the mountain as there were no guard rails, just to get to a remote beach that turned out to be beautiful; close call with a stingray whilst scuba diving, etc.). Do you think this would be an appropriate topic, as I have had many unique experiences due to it?

Give an example of a project to which you gave sustained effort. How were you involved in the leadership of this project? (1000 Characters)
- For this last question, would it be wise to use a personal research experience? I wrote an undergraduate thesis that took10 months to complete, and I was the primary author (had a poster, but no publication). Would this still qualify as leadership, even though I was not directly in charge of any person(s) in particular?

Thank you in advance for any help/feedback; it is much appreciated!

Hey everyone, I wanted to ask your opinions on 2 of the prompts.

If you could tell the admissions committee one thing unique about yourself that isn’t medically related, what would it be? (1000 Characters)
- For this one, I was thinking of writing about my sense for adventure when it comes to traveling, and how although it has provided me with great experiences/lessons learned, it has also lead to some close encounters where my life was at risk (i.e. driving through the mountains of Crete in a rented vehicle that turned out to be unfit for the terrain, had a very close call with falling off the side of the mountain as there were no guard rails, just to get to a remote beach that turned out to be beautiful; close call with a stingray whilst scuba diving, etc.). Do you think this would be an appropriate topic, as I have had many unique experiences due to it?

Give an example of a project to which you gave sustained effort. How were you involved in the leadership of this project? (1000 Characters)
- For this last question, would it be wise to use a personal research experience? I wrote an undergraduate thesis that took10 months to complete, and I was the primary author (had a poster, but no publication). Would this still qualify as leadership, even though I was not directly in charge of any person(s) in particular?

Thank you in advance for any help/feedback; it is much appreciated!

Two bits of advice: 1. Being genuine is always good, insincerity is something everyone can detect in writing, even if they can't specifically identify it. People can detect sincerity too, and they like it. 2. Always think about what the question is trying to get at.

The first seems fine so long as you feel it captures something interesting about you as a person. Just remember the events are less important than the impression that it leaves with the reader. Sometimes the best stories of personal growth come from something seemingly mundane (talking to a friend; seeing a beach at sunset; getting your driver's license), and you do not want to fall into the trap of describing a cool story that does not show any growth or reflect on you. Did almost falling off a mountain change you? Do you like being the type of person who would put yourself in that sort of danger? Those qualities is what the admissions committee will care about, not the danger of the experience in its own right.

For the second one, I think that would better fit in the "6-12 month project" category. I'm sure your research is really cool, and even if the project is mundane, I'm sure you learned a lot about yourself or science doing it. That reflection is useful, and I'm sure it's a good story. However, while I cannot be certain, generally, when they use the word "leadership" in a prompt, the admissions committee is looking to understand something about how you work with others and how you handle authority. Given the exact wording, you could probably swing being "involved in the leadership" even if you were not an official leader of a group, but generally, I think that is what leadership questions are driving at.

Hope that all makes sense and is helpful.