2019-2020 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a Canadian student and accepted by Wayne, My home (in Windsor) is only 8 miles to Wayne. So I plan to live home and Commute from home to school. Though I have OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), Wayne said I still need to purchase its international health insurance plan. I remember in a forum of previous year, someone said OHIP was ok for Canadian students living in Windsor. Anyone is in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

i
I am a Canadian student and accepted by Wayne, My home (in Windsor) is only 8 miles to Wayne. So I plan to live home and Commute from home to school. Though I have OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), Wayne said I still need to purchase its international health insurance plan. I remember in a forum of previous year, someone said OHIP was ok for Canadian students living in Windsor. Anyone is in the same boat?
spoke with a wayne student (who is also canadian) about this ohip or international student health insurance and they told me that the school insurance is mandatory. That is because if anything happens to you in on the school campus or detroit they need to know you know you have american insurance for the healthcare you will recieve in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
hey everyone, since school starts in 6 days, for those still on the waitlist, when would be an appropriate time to ask the admissions committee to review your application/interview with you?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, since school starts in 6 days, for those still on the waitlist, when would be an appropriate time to ask the admissions committee to review your application/interview with you?

Hey,

I initiated this process already. I was told that the admission committee members you speak to are only able to speak on your application- primary and secondaries. They do not have any information on your interview which is disappointing.

Hey,

I initiated this process already. I was told that the admission committee members you speak to are only able to speak on your application- primary and secondaries. They do not have any information on your interview which is disappointing.

that’s sucks because when i spoke to them last year, they said my application was great, but there were just a lot of students applying :/

Has anyone on the waitlist heard from Wayne recently? With classes in less than a week, you'd figure they'd just reject most of us by now (if they're still about 20-25 of us).

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone on the waitlist heard from Wayne recently? With classes in less than a week, you'd figure they'd just reject most of us by now (if they're still about 20-25 of us).

Still very silent on my end and I’m waitlisted as well . I know they’re rejecting people every day ,
So the list has definitely gotten smaller

Still very silent on my end and I’m waitlisted as well . I know they’re rejecting people every day ,
So the list has definitely gotten smaller
Thanks MindMed, it sucks that we're in this purgatory. Just to make sure I'm understanding you, are you saying there have been waitlist rejections since June 24th and into July?

i

spoke with a wayne student (who is also canadian) about this ohip or international student health insurance and they told me that the school insurance is mandatory. That is because if anything happens to you in on the school campus or detroit they need to know you know you have american insurance for the healthcare you will recieve in the US.

Commuting Canadian Students at OTHER Wayne State programs can get waivers for the health insurance using their OHIP coverage (although strongly encouraged to buy supplemental insurance as OHIP is not believed to be sufficient). However, commuting Canadian MEDICAL STUDENTS are not eligible to apply for the waiver and “must pursue” the OISS approved international student Health Insurance plan...(which btw is not open right now and expected to open starting next week)...

Anyone know how many people are currently on the Class of 2024 GroupMe?

Thanks MindMed, it sucks that we're in this purgatory. Just to make sure I'm understanding you, are you saying there have been waitlist rejections since June 24th and into July?

Np! And ikr .

Yes there have been waitlist rejections . I called Wayne state earlier this week and they said that it’s still a preferable position to be on the waitlist as they are rejecting people

I heard they accept people until first day of classes on 13th july, so we still got a few days! It’ll all be over soon, hang in there!!

Members don't see this ad :)
We currently have 244 people! I think about 10 joined last week

Thats still a big discrepancy between the class size and the GroupMe members, I would assume that most everyone would have joined so close to classes beginning.

I know we have like this last upcoming week left, but this wait is really horrible .-. ... has anyone heard anything today? Best of luck everyone as the final week rolls in. Hopefully it works out for all of us in some way or another!!

I know we have like this last upcoming week left, but this wait is really horrible .-. ... has anyone heard anything today? Best of luck everyone as the final week rolls in. Hopefully it works out for all of us in some way or another!!
There is really not much to the week, if we don’t hear back by tomorrow then it’s a hard R for us, since class starts Monday July 13. This is my second time applying and getting waitlisted until the end, and honestly i wouldn’t wish this burden on my worst enemy. But, to everyone else good luck and don’t let this ruin the rest of your summer.

Reactions: 2 users
There is really not much to the week, if we don’t hear back by tomorrow then it’s a hard R for us, since class starts Monday July 13. This is my second time applying and getting waitlisted until the end, and honestly i wouldn’t wish this burden on my worst enemy. But, to everyone else good luck and don’t let this ruin the rest of your summer.

When I had talked to Wayne , the said they will be accepting people up until the end of next week and as long as we haven’t gotten the rejection email or email that the class is full , we are still being considered. And honestly same , I’m a second time reapplication . I’m taking a year off to do my masters before applying again . It is a tough burden but please don’t give up .

I know people who have applied three and four times and are now doctors ! The most important thing is not giving up

Hey it’s not over til it’s over, I just talked to admissions yesterday and they said they aren’t yet finished with this cycle.

When I had talked to Wayne , the said they will be accepting people up until the end of next week and as long as we haven’t gotten the rejection email or email that the class is full , we are still being considered. And honestly same , I’m a second time reapplication . I’m taking a year off to do my masters before applying again . It is a tough burden but please don’t give up .

I know people who have applied three and four times and are now doctors ! The most important thing is not giving up

Thank you for those encouraging words!
But i have a question. If wayne is accepting people until the end of next week, will those supposedly accepted by friday miss out on a week on class/instructions?

Thank you for those encouraging words!
But i have a question. If wayne is accepting people until the end of next week, will those supposedly accepted by friday miss out on a week on class/instructions?
Our first week is going to be one day of zoom virtual orientation, and then the rest of the week is the start of a study skills course so science material starts the week after.

I'm guessing that admitted students already know about this or have been informed, but for my fellow waitlisted brethren, here's what WSUSOM has shared on the website today about the first two months of M1:

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 9.14.02 PM.png

Here's aiming that the WL => Acceptance deadline is this Friday and that we get a decision before then!

Reactions: 3 users
best of luck everyone, as we enter the final week! I am a bit nervous, but it seems that this long haul of a cycle is coming to an end, and hopefully it ends on some good news with an acceptance. Nonethless, we will be okay, and im rooting for all of us ! It truly has been one heck of a cycle with covid-19 . we got this!

Just got off the phone with Wayne State. The person on the other side essentially said they don't see more admission offers being sent out, unless some current acceptances don't intend to matriculate. Those still on the waitlist will get something at the end of the week confirming an R. It's been a long ride, and l wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It’d weird if there would be some acceptances that dont intend on matriculating, since they’ve technically started. Nothing’s out of the ordinary in 2020 it seems.
Just got off the phone with Wayne State. The person on the other side essentially said they don't see more admission offers being sent out, unless some current acceptances don't intend to matriculate. Those still on the waitlist will get something at the end of the week confirming an R. It's been a long ride, and l wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Last edited:
It’d weird if there would be some acceptances that dont intend on matriculating, since they’ve technically started. Nothing’s out of the ordinary in 2020 it seems.
I know right? With online classes for the first month, you’d believe everyone would matriculate. The real question is the whole move to Detroit thing in August if current guidelines are in place. 2020 has been weird for sure.

Also got the R this morning. Been an almost ten month ride on this waitlist; best of luck to those still on it!

Just got the R as well .-. Taking a year off before applying again , that’s for sure . It’s been one heck of a year

Finally got the R. I can finally close this tab after 10 months haha
Best of luck to everyone still on the WL, and to everyone reapplying next cycle!

For those who were rejected this week, I feel for you! But do not be discouraged. If medical school is your dream, try next cycle! It took 4 years for me to get accepted to a medical school though it is the 1st year that I applied to Wayne. Do not lose hope! Best wishes to all of you.

For those who were rejected this week, I feel for you! But do not be discouraged. If medical school is your dream, try next cycle! It took 4 years for me to get accepted to a medical school though it is the 1st year that I applied to Wayne. Do not lose hope! Best wishes to all of you.
Thank you blackhawk for your kind words, it's been a struggle but it won't be the end! I'm glad that you got a long awaited acceptance and I give you best wishes for your future medical career!

Hey,

Really? I emailed them about reviewing my app and they told me to review it with my pre-health advisor... :(