2019-2020 Wayne State

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im guessing that gets sent out in a follow up email after the II. Did you have to select that you were interested in the student host option or did they send that to you automatically?

Yep, it’s with the II... I just sent the email to all the M2s listed and one of them got back to me
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, that’s true!
Good to hear the interview went relaxing for you, hopefully the MMI was too. Hope we all get that acceptance 🙂

Were the interviews really conversational (as you guys implied)? like not so much of a "question then answer" thing.
I'm honestly still wondering what the point of the med student interview is, was there any difference in the theme of questions? lmao
 
does anyone know how long it takes for wayne state to give a decision? Ive been completed since 7/8
Mmm not sure but it looks like they might send interviews out in big waves, from the looks of it the last II's were mainly sent out 8/9 and their interview tracker on their admissions website has said it has sent 232 invites for a couple weeks now as well. So hang in there!
 
Good to hear the interview went relaxing for you, hopefully the MMI was too. Hope we all get that acceptance 🙂

Were the interviews really conversational (as you guys implied)? like not so much of a "question then answer" thing.
I'm honestly still wondering what the point of the med student interview is, was there any difference in the theme of questions? lmao
I’d say yes it was pretty conversational for the most part, mainly things specific to my app. MMI was chill too with nice people!
 
Really? The student who interviewed me was chatting it up with me. It was my favorite interview of the day
Mine just seemed like she was reading questions off her piece of paper, and never really followed up on what I said.
My faculty interview on the other hand, was super laidback and conversational.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine just seemed like she was reading questions off her piece of paper, and never really followed up on what I said.
My faculty interview on the other hand, was super laidback and conversational.

Ohh well I’m glad that you had a good experience with your faculty advisor. What was your overall impression of the day?
 
Good to hear the interview went relaxing for you, hopefully the MMI was too. Hope we all get that acceptance 🙂

Were the interviews really conversational (as you guys implied)? like not so much of a "question then answer" thing.
I'm honestly still wondering what the point of the med student interview is, was there any difference in the theme of questions? lmao

I was asked similar questions by the faculty and student interviewers; although I was significantly less nervous with the student, so I spoke with him a lot more.

I think the point of the student interview is for the admissions committee to get a peer’s perspective on you. The med student can give feedback on whether or not they can see you fitting in with the class. I, personally, think that it’s a valuable opinion!
 
Ohh well I’m glad that you had a good experience with your faculty advisor. What was your overall impression of the day?
I’d say it left a positive impression (even though the bus no showed and I had to take the q line), and for a first med school interview I think I did pretty well, though their are definitely a few things I need to improve.
 
Good to hear the interview went relaxing for you, hopefully the MMI was too. Hope we all get that acceptance 🙂

Were the interviews really conversational (as you guys implied)? like not so much of a "question then answer" thing.
I'm honestly still wondering what the point of the med student interview is, was there any difference in the theme of questions? lmao

I think the purpose of most medical student involved interviews is that their opinion matters in the sense of "can I see this person as a potential classmate?". Maybe a student interviewer might catch some good/bad vibes that a faculty interviewer may not. Also in regard to questions an interviewee can ask, current medical students will probably give you a better answer if it involves student involvement requirements, current curriculum, etc.

EDIT: Just saw someone else commented the same thing LOL my bad!
 
I think the purpose of most medical student involved interviews is that their opinion matters in the sense of "can I see this person as a potential classmate?". Maybe a student interviewer might catch some good/bad vibes that a faculty interviewer may not. Also in regard to questions an interviewee can ask, current medical students will probably give you a better answer if it involves student involvement requirements, current curriculum, etc.

EDIT: Just saw someone else commented the same thing LOL my bad!
Haha thanks still. Was the formal interview 1v1 or 2v1? (i feel like 1v1 would be less intimidating)
Thoughts on MMI?
 
M1 here. If you have any questions about the school, interview, M1 life, or life in general, please feel free to tag me or DM me! I wish you all the best!

I know a lot of people already mentioned some, but do you have any other tips for interview day??
 
Haha thanks still. Was the formal interview 1v1 or 2v1? (i feel like 1v1 would be less intimidating)
Thoughts on MMI?
My faculty interview was 1v1, but my student interview had 2 students- 1 doing the interview and 1 learning how to interview.
 
I know a lot of people already mentioned some, but do you have any other tips for interview day??
I don't think I really have any unique perspectives on interview day. However, I recommend these general tips:
-Make sure you are prepared to talk a lot about yourself & to show the admissions people your values/morals.
- If you don't know something, don't be afraid to be honest about it.
- If you're naturally a robot or a lizard person, try acting like a human for a change.
- Even if you find the process a bit uncomfortable, try to enjoy your time at Wayne. You've come a long way!
- Although this probably isn't on your mind yet: If you get waitlisted, don't lose hope! Wayne tends to use their waitlist extensively.

That's all I've got. If you have more specific questions, I'd probably be able to answer those better.
 
Haha thanks still. Was the formal interview 1v1 or 2v1? (i feel like 1v1 would be less intimidating)
Thoughts on MMI?

When I interviewed last cycle, my formal interview had multiple people. If you have more than one interviewer, it's likely that the other person is there to train so that they can start doing interviews on their own at some point (they'll probably tell you that person is training as a heads up). About MMI, I was actually pretty intimidated by it if I'm being honest! But I think that was because it was my first MMI exposure of the cycle (my next interviews with that format felt smoother since I knew what to expect and how to better keep my nerves in check).

I'm also a current M1 here! Feel free to DM if you have any itching questions or if you're too shy to ask in the forum
And congrats to all of you for making it this far!
 
for the question on "activites that you have been involved in", do you guys think community service would work?
That would probably work. My general rule of thumb is that you should try to make what you write stand out. In cases where that is not really possible, at least make sure it is written pretty well. But, at the end of the day, the more you can stand out in a positive way, the better off you are.
 
When I interviewed last cycle, my formal interview had multiple people. If you have more than one interviewer, it's likely that the other person is there to train so that they can start doing interviews on their own at some point (they'll probably tell you that person is training as a heads up). About MMI, I was actually pretty intimidated by it if I'm being honest! But I think that was because it was my first MMI exposure of the cycle (my next interviews with that format felt smoother since I knew what to expect and how to better keep my nerves in check).

I'm also a current M1 here! Feel free to DM if you have any itching questions or if you're too shy to ask in the forum
And congrats to all of you for making it this far!
thanks! Is roleplay part of the MMI? They said it wasn't in a Webinar but I honestly wanted to double check.
 
Are there any EDP people on here also interviewing in September? If I remember right the last date to interview was 16th, so I'm guessing they don't make any decisions until they've completed all of them?
 
Are there any EDP people on here also interviewing in September? If I remember right the last date to interview was 16th, so I'm guessing they don't make any decisions until they've completed all of them?
Im pretty sure you're right about that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any EDP people on here also interviewing in September? If I remember right the last date to interview was 16th, so I'm guessing they don't make any decisions until they've completed all of them?
Was it the 16th or before the 16th ... I’m pretty sure it said before, but I could be completely wrong
 
I'm EDP and interviewing in September; anyone else? I think they said that all edp applicants have to interview before the 15th and then they give a decision in the last weeks of September.
 
I'm EDP and interviewing in September; anyone else? I think they said that all edp applicants have to interview before the 15th and then they give a decision in the last weeks of September.
I’m interviewing on the 13th, I think after we’re done they’re going to start making decisions.