2019-2020 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did everyone who heard back yesterday receive an email?

I didn't receive an email, I just checked the portal. I'm wondering if I'm not receiving emails from other schools/something's wrong with my email. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Someone said they’d be reaching out to us by the end of February with either a decision or a date for when we’ll hear back. Has anyone on the WL heard anything today?

Did everyone who heard back yesterday receive an email?

I didn't receive an email, I just checked the portal. I'm wondering if I'm not receiving emails from other schools/something's wrong with my email. Thanks!!
I didn't receive an email either, but I checked my portal and got a waitlist decision. You're not alone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS that have been waitlisted - does anyone mind sharing stats?

I interviewed 1/24. Just heard back since then was not on waitlist

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today. Interviewed 1/17. OOS International. No ties.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
OOS - withdrew from the WL today. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Just wondering how much scholarships are offered because OOS and oh man its rough

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist? Does anyone know?

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to everyone still waiting. I hope you get some good news soon!

(Admissions replied to my email, so they’re still working!)

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hey everyone! I attended the Medical School Virtual fair yesterday and talked to WVU, they are expecting a huge WL movement around mid April! They’re working from home right now.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm staying here for residency so I'll be able to do AMAs frequently, though intern year I'll only be on maybe once a week on my day off.

Anyways, yes, WVU is follow CDC/AAMC guidelines and the entire HSC is basically closed.

To bide the time, those who are accepted and those on the WL should browse our match list. Of note:
  1. We matched ≥1 of every competitive specialty available (Derm, Plastics, Ortho, Ophtho, ENT, Uro)
  2. Our match rate was, I think 100%? Note that this does include SOAP, but I think no one went unmatched.
  3. Our match locations are literally throughout the country, which includes HARVARD and MAYO and DARTMOUTH and CLEVELAND CLINIC. I know the students that matched here (Plastics / Patho / Derm) and they are fantastic people that grinded hard to get to these places, so that should show you how impactful the research and faculty are, to match at these big names.
  4. EM and OBGYN have become surprisingly competitive, and we matched about 10% of our class in each and throughout the country as well.
I will say that personally, I had some problems with my application and the administration was fantastic in their response.

Anyway, I'm in quarantine mode so I'll be checking my inbox and this topic a few times a week, feel free to AMA about anything in life, now that I've signed my contract and am about to be a resident there's no holding back any of my responses.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone get off the waitlist IS yet? Put on the WL last year and was crushed...really hoping to get the A soon :/

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone written any letters? How many (if any) are considered appropriate?

Anyone get off the waitlist IS yet? Put on the WL last year and was crushed...really hoping to get the A soon :/
I also would like to know if anyone has been pulled off the WL! However, I am OOS. I absolutely loved WVU, and its my top choice. Historically, does most of the waitlist movement occur in April?

Reactions: 2 users
Was is a letter of intent or just an update? Because right now, there's also not much we can do with COVID19 to update them haha
A combination of both actually, I had sone update stuff I had been sitting on and realistically should’ve sent earlier

Could be a coincidence, but update letters were sent in January, and 3 new interview invites received in February. Nothing amazing in the updates, just 4.0 and some new shadowing.

Will be withdrawing from the WL this week. OOS, for those who were wondering. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 7 users
Will be withdrawing from the WL this week. OOS, for those who were wondering. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Thank you for withdrawing and for letting us know! For all of you still on the waitlist- Stay positive, we've got this! I hope that everyone still waiting gets the call soon :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was recently accepted off of the waitlist, OOS, LM 70! Interviewed 10/17, waitlisted 10/23, and accepted 4/15.

Reactions: 11 users
Phone call! Before they offered a spot, they did ask if I was still interested in being on the waitlist.

I have hijacked my daughter's account. We are international. Is anyone else concerned about the pictures of the protests that I think were from Pittsburgh?

• Love
  • Haha
Concerned for the health of the planet: Yes. Concerned about an impact on Med School: No.

I have hijacked my daughter's account. We are international. Is anyone else concerned about the pictures of the protests that I think were from Pittsburgh?

There are dumb people everywhere.

In New York, one of the hardest hit cities in the US, there were protests to reopen other parts of NY. This happened while people were, and are, still dying within NYC itself.

My timeline is off since I'm not on the semester system anymore, but WVU's campuses were closed right after the beginning of Spring Break so this is definitely not a representative population of the typical Morgantown 10 months out of the year. I wouldn't worry about it. The major shopping areas are 1-way, 1-way out, restricted numbers of people. The last time I needed to use the bank it was drive-through only, lobby closed. Restaurants, barbers, etc were closed.

People are following instructions, a dumb minority became a dumb, vocal minority. The hospital is still on lockdown, and most healthcare professionals do not support the protester's views. For now.

Concerned for the health of the planet: Yes. Concerned about an impact on Med School: No.

Not about the protests, but I'm kind of concerned for the current and incoming classes because online medical school poses at least two very important questions:

1. If preclinical education can be done almost completely online, why are schools charging $60k in tuition?
2. If other schools are graduating their fourth years early albeit in the midst of a pandemic, does this not imply that fourth year can be shortened as well?

There are dumb people everywhere.

In New York, one of the hardest hit cities in the US, there were protests to reopen other parts of NY. This happened while people were, and are, still dying within NYC itself.

My timeline is off since I'm not on the semester system anymore, but WVU's campuses were closed right after the beginning of Spring Break so this is definitely not a representative population of the typical Morgantown 10 months out of the year. I wouldn't worry about it. The major shopping areas are 1-way, 1-way out, restricted numbers of people. The last time I needed to use the bank it was drive-through only, lobby closed. Restaurants, barbers, etc were closed.

People are following instructions, a dumb minority became a dumb, vocal minority. The hospital is still on lockdown, and most healthcare professionals do not support the protester's views. For now.

Not about the protests, but I'm kind of concerned for the current and incoming classes because online medical school poses at least two very important questions:

1. If preclinical education can be done almost completely online, why are schools charging $60k in tuition?
2. If other schools are graduating their fourth years early albeit in the midst of a pandemic, does this not imply that fourth year can be shortened as well?
Part of my concern is also the type of guns and the attitude projected

All those rallies in states with CC have people with guns, not sure what to tell you there.

Again, a dumb minority became a dumb, vocal minority. It hasn't changed the atmosphere around the hospital or HSC which is still on lock down.

We've talked about it here a few times. I don't think the people protesting are dumb or selfish - there's more in play. I think many of the protesters are dis-proportionally blue collar and may be hit harder financially than folks who can work at home on a laptop.

I suspect many of the protesters are the same folks who do not care for government authority in general, and laws telling them how to live their lives. This would include having to wear seat-belts, helmets on when riding motorcycles, rules about smoking in public places, cell phone use while driving, gun control, having to pay taxes, having to be tolerant of the LGBTQ community, having compassion for immigrants, the list goes on. So public health policy is seen as just another extension of government over-reach and interferance. I don't agree with them, but I don't think their protests are as simplistic as we think.