2020-2021 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who already interviewed here, could you guys share your experience ?

For those who already interviewed here, could you share the details of the day?
Hey! I interviewed at UAB recently. Can't share super specific details due to the confidentiality agreement but the day consists of a few presentations/informational sessions, current medical student panels, the MMI's, and the traditional interview. The traditional interview is very conversational, friendly, and laid back, while the MMI's are more structured, straight to the point, and require quick thinking. Overall, they were really welcoming and did a good job of letting you learn about the school and the opportunity to ask a bunch of questions. The day was way less stressful/formal than I thought it would be!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for sharing!! How long did the interviews last? (both MMI's and the traditional)

For the student panels, was it all Q and A?

MS1 student here. Any questions I can help answer?

Did anyone else struggle with the tight character counts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else struggle with the tight character counts?
Ya it basically looked like a gutted version of my other prompts from different schools. But UAB is my #1 so hope it was good enough.

Incase anyone is wondering where UAB is in their timeline: II received today for 10/8 (so soon!) - complete on 8/27, IS
Yeah, it seems like their interviews are very sudden. I submitted my secondary the 27th of August, got an II on the 31st of August, and interviewed on the 9th of September. Getting everything ready in time was stressful haha I wasn't even done with all other secondaries lol I am an MSTP applicant though, so I am not sure how that affects the timeline or their processing speed.

I wanted to know if there are any other MSTP applicants on here. I think there is another MSTP specific interview date coming up soon.

Yeah, it seems like their interviews are very sudden. I submitted my secondary the 27th of August, got an II on the 31st of August, and interviewed on the 9th of September. Getting everything ready in time was stressful haha I wasn't even done with all other secondaries lol I am an MSTP applicant though, so I am not sure how that affects the timeline or their processing speed.

I wanted to know if there are any other MSTP applicants on here. I think there is another MSTP specific interview date coming up soon.
How was the interview day for you? Any advice?

How was the interview day for you? Any advice?
The interview was nice, everyone was kind and it didn't feel high stress. I don't get too nervous during interviews so that may just be me. I can't discuss content but be yourself (lol I hate hearing that kind of advice, but it is honestly the best thing to do). Interviewers are trained to read through BS.

For the MSTP, know your research well and be ready to describe it 5-6 times effectively.

For the MD, be genuine.

If you got an interview, then you are a strong candidate, now you are showing them you would make an empathetic doctor. And even if you didn't get an interview, you may still be a strong candidate, and UAB may just not be a good match for you.

Also, anything on your application is fair game. Make sure you review what you wrote.

Reactions: 1 users
ll! OOS ORM, LM 70, secondary submitted 8/27, strong ties to Alabama (lived there for 10+ years)

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected from UAB yesterday pre-secondary. Went there for grad school, LM 65 OOS ORM. Submitted my transcripts with only 15 BCPM grad credits when they need 20 for OOS students.

Did anyone else receive an email this morning about their MD-PhD medical scientist training program? I'm trying to not be pessimistic but I'm worried it's like a precursor to a rejection lol I submitted my secondary to then on 9/2 and still nothing

Did anyone else receive an email this morning about their MD-PhD medical scientist training program? I'm trying to not be pessimistic but I'm worried it's like a precursor to a rejection lol I submitted my secondary to then on 9/2 and still nothing
No emails today and I submitted/complete 8/26. But I don’t think that would be indicative of a rejection coming. UAB is pretty equitable and up front with their bad news.

I'm regular MD OOS and submitted 7/16, but got an email about their MSTP program 7/28

Submitted 8/24, interview for Primary Care Track this morning. More than welcome to DM for stats. [they have said there is no advantage or disadvantage to applying, I believe it is just as selective]

II just now! Complete 8/26. GPA 3.7 MCAT 513 - IS - prior military

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if this even means anything haha but just got an email from them saying my MSTP application has moved to the "Initial Review Phase"

Not sure if this even means anything haha but just got an email from them saying my MSTP application has moved to the "Initial Review Phase"

Me too! IS or OOS??

For those that have interviewed here, when did you get the zoom link for your interview? Mine is this week and just wondering when to expect it.

For those that have interviewed here, when did you get the zoom link for your interview? Mine is this week and just wondering when to expect it.
They should email you a schedule and the zoom link about 1-2 days before the interview date. That's what they did for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Early decision applicant here, got my acceptance a little over a week ago! :) LizzyM 81, ORM, IS.
The interview advice that's on this thread is pretty spot on. Try your best to be relaxed and personable in your interviews! UAB makes their interviews relatively laid back compared to other medical schools'. Best of luck future classmates!

II received earlier this week on Monday 10/5. Was complete 7/30. No ties, and OOS. Interview scheduled for 11/5

No problem! ORM, MCAT is 510, cGPA is 3.82, and sGPA is 3.8. Working during my second gap year. No grad degrees

Super neat!! Out of curiosity, how did you answer "Do you have any ties to AL being OOS?" Did you leave it blank?

I just got this too... is this like a pre-secondary review? I haven't received my secondary yet but I also just added UAB to my primary for the MSTP yesterday. Their marketing emails worked for my neurotic self ha!

I just got this too... is this like a pre-secondary review? I haven't received my secondary yet but I also just added UAB to my primary for the MSTP yesterday. Their marketing emails worked for my neurotic self ha!

Yeah, it is. They seem to be going through the prescreening pretty fast though. I got that on a Friday and then the secondary on Monday. Congrats and keep us updated!!!

• Love