2020-2021 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Alabama

Members don't see this ad.

All essay prompts limited to 750 characters.

*Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

*Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

*Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class:

*Please describe if and how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your preparation for applying to medical school.

*Describe an observed patient-physician interaction, what you learned from the experience, and how those lessons will impact your approach to patient care.

*Describe a fulfilling or challenging community service experience and how you grew personally from the experience.

Reactions: 2 users

*Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

*Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

*Please describe if and how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your preparation for applying to medical school.

*Describe an observed patient-physician interaction, what you learned from the experience, and how those lessons will impact your approach to patient care.

*Describe a fulfilling or challenging community service experience and how you grew personally from the experience.
Did you receive the secondary in an email?

Members don't see this ad :)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 user
First R of the cycle. OOS (GA resident) no ties, 3.97 cGPA, 3.96 cGPA, 516 MCAT. I’m not surprised they wouldn’t waste an interview on me bc I don’t have ties but I’m surprised it came so early

First R of the cycle. OOS (GA resident) no ties, 3.97 cGPA, 3.96 cGPA, 516 MCAT. I’m not surprised they wouldn’t waste an interview on me bc I don’t have ties but I’m surprised it came so early
They emailed you on a Saturday or was this on the portal

Wow those are some amazing stats so I'm surprised. Maybe there was some other reason like pre-reqs or not having 90 credits?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow those are some amazing stats so I'm surprised. Maybe there was some other reason like pre-reqs or not having 90 credits?
Just checked, I’ve only taken 86 hours. I didn’t even take this into account I just assumed I would meet it

Would you mind sharing when you completed?

Just checked, I’ve only taken 86 hours. I didn’t even take this into account I just assumed I would meet it
Ah that's probably why unfortunately. It seems dumb when you can easily get those credits in the upcoming year. good luck for your other schools!

Ah that's probably why unfortunately. It seems dumb when you can easily get those credits in the upcoming year. good luck for your other schools!
Thanks bc I would’ve had no idea otherwise. I just assumed it meant 90 by the time of matriculation or acceptance. I hope the rest of the schools I applied to don’t have this rule as well

Is it worth applying to this school if I don't have ties to Alabama?

Is it worth applying to this school if I don't have ties to Alabama?
UAB accepts a small portion of OOS students every year. Whether those students all have ties to Alabama, I don’t know, but I would imagine some percentage of OOS matriculates don’t have any ties. If it’s financially feasible for you to submit an app to UAB, I say go for it! It doesn’t hurt to try!

The only time I've ever been to Alabama was on a road trip during spring break......would it be a bad idea to bring this up as a tie to Alabama? lol. I did actually spend most of an afternoon in Birmingham and I thought it was a really unique town.

The only time I've ever been to Alabama was on a road trip during spring break......would it be a bad idea to bring this up as a tie to Alabama? lol. I did actually spend most of an afternoon in Birmingham and I thought it was a really unique town.

LOL nah. But Bham is lit and they are medium friendly to OOS. Some of the best food in the country (#1 and a top 5 restaurant nationally) and you'll always have something to do or someone like Dave Chappelle is in town.

Hello everyone :)

Today I received my first interview offer of the cycle by ACOM (why do we call it II?)

I am non trad with lop sided stats. If you guys have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Today I received my first interview offer of the cycle by ACOM (why do we call it II?)

I am non trad with lop sided stats. If you guys have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Congrats!! would you mind sharing if you're IS and when you completed?

Sure friend,
I am out of state( south west US) and I completed my secondary on July 31
wow! that's a quick turnaround. I completed mine on 7/17 and also OOS but haven't heard anything

Hey! are you applying to the early decision program?

ACOM the DO school? I believe this is the thread for the University of Alabama MD school.

Received an interview yesterday. I attend college out of state, but I'm from Alabama, so very strong ties.

I am a URM OOS applicant from a neighboring state with strong interest in rural medicine, but no ties to UAB. Should I use the "Describe any ties or meaningful experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center" as a prompt to explain my interest in the school? I thought about using the "share any information you want us to know about you" prompt for this as well. Thoughts?

Has anyone's status changed to under review? Mine says complete and I was curious if they update it or if it just changes once you get a II/R

first R of the season today lol OS, no ties to Alabama 512/3.7 ORM
submitted secondary 7/27

first R of the season today lol OS, no ties to Alabama 512/3.7 ORM
submitted secondary 7/27
Best of luck with your other applications! I'm sure it'll go great. Did your portal ever say under review or just complete?

Best of luck with your other applications! I'm sure it'll go great. Did your portal ever say under review or just complete?
thanks! I just checked my portal again and all it says is "Your application is complete."

II yesterday. RD, IS, 512 MCAT, low uGPA w/ redemptive post-bacc performance

Last edited:
For those who already interviewed here, could you share the details of the day?

Per their official twitter account today. All ED interview invites have gone out and they are "very slowly" going to move through regular decision to accommodate those with late MCAT test dates

Reactions: 1 users