2020-2021 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also if you haven't gotten the PM by Dream1- please request. Another proof of an opinion with current students in the standing along with faculty.
If possible, can you send it to me as well? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Also if you haven't gotten the PM by Dream1- please request. Another proof of an opinion with current students in the standing along with faculty.
Can I also please receive this PM, thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure what all this business is about "losing sites", but as one of the eight post-match 4th years that CHSU sponsored for 3rd and 4th year, I haven't really had any issues with rotating at hospitals around the area. In fact, I've told this to some of the current third years: I think my time here in Fresno actually helped me get interviews from around the area, specifically because I dealt with the Central Valley's underserved patient population and was able to actually talk about the different social determinants that I experienced from my time in the area (which seem to be getting traction in medicine, especially FM) during interviews. But that can be a whole other thread....

In terms of sites with residents, I can only speak on my personal experience but I rotated as a third year at CRMC for both IM and surgical subspecialty (which had UCSF-Fresno residents) and at the Fresno VA for general surgery (which had residents from Kaweah Delta Visalia). These same rotations were offered to this year's third years as well, so they didn't "lose" those sites. I know they offered connections to Mercy Merced for us to do ObGyn with an attending there, but I didn't take up that offer cuz I decided to go with a local Ob preceptor instead. At the time, St. Agnes (the only other place in Fresno with a residency) didn't allow any students, so it wasn't a CHSU-only thing; it was a SAMC-admin-barring-everyone thing. As for my required 4th year EM rotation this year (the only 4th year rotation CHSU was technically responsible for as a clinical site for KCU), CHSU set it up for me to do at Kaiser Modesto, which is a new EM residency; so, although I didn't work with residents, I worked with all the attendings including the PD (they were super excited about having next year's students working with their new residents). Side note, it's not a place with residents, but we also had students do EM at Madera Community Hospital (which is also where I did my inpatient peds during third year).

Anyways, those are all the CHSU-assisted rotations. As for other 4th year rotations, I can't really speak to CHSU's abilities there cuz my school makes us plan things on our own, so CHSU wasn't really involved; but I can say, considering how COVID kinda messed everything up for us with trying to schedule aways, CHSU did help me get a sub-I at Adventist Hanford this year and they have since fostered a great relationship with Hanford and their FM residency people by volunteering to give out COVID vaccines together and stuff.

All in all, I think it's wise to take what you read on these forums (SDN, Reddit, etc) with a grain of salt. KCU is actually getting blasted right now on Reddit and reading about what was written and comparing it to how things actually went down, things were clearly exaggerated. People complain and they're salty but every school goes through the same problems for the most part. From what I've seen, heard, and experienced; it doesn't seem like CHSU is "losing sites". Maybe cuz of COVID, residencies aren't allowing students from other schools (like how Kaweah Delta wouldn't take any auditioning students from schools outside of California)? But that seemed to be most university-affiliated hospitals from my experience, although I did have friends get rotations this year at UCSF Fresno and Valley Children's (2 Fresno hospitals with residencies) just fine. If someone doesn't mention CHSU, I wouldn't jump straight to assuming they're losing that site. It might possibly be because they're a new school (go figure!) so they're slowly getting their name out there.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hi Everyone I just recieved an II right now and was wondering what the interview experience was like? There isn't any feedback on sdn so I was hoping someone could share what it was like for them. Any help is much appreciated! ty

For those on the waitlist - did they send out a surveymonkey for interest in remaining on the list in March? I filled out the one in Feb but now im stressing that I hit the wrong button because I haven't had any communication since...should I email the admissions and just double check to make sure im still on the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
For those on the waitlist - did they send out a surveymonkey for interest in remaining on the list in March? I filled out the one in Feb but now im stressing that I hit the wrong button because I haven't had any communication since...should I email the admissions and just double check to make sure im still on the waitlist?
I was just wondering about this myself. Me and a buddy on here also haven’t received one yet so I’m guessing it I’ll come soon :)

We haven't gotten anything yet. I say we wait till mid of next week to ask for it if we don't get it by then!

Interviewed mid March and havent received anything either so not just you

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back after interviews from the last two Mondays?

Also haven't received a survey so I guess they have yet to send it out.

So we haven’t started classes yet so I can’t speak too much to the faculty and administrators but from what I have experienced so far, it’s been amazing. We’ve had multiple zoom meetings with lots of the teachers, administrators, and the Dean. They have been incredible at keeping us informed, answering our questions, and listening to our feedback. I am extremely excited to be working with all of them as it appears each brings a unique perspective to the school. As for our curriculum, we have a systems based 2-pass layout. The lectures utilize TBL, team based learning, which I think gives us the advantage of collaborating on topics. This was a huge selling point for me because I think we all have something to learn from everyone we meet and hearing different perspectives will only broaden the knowledge we’ll acquire. Another great selling point was the virtual anatomy class. I remember coming on here and seeing people criticizing the fact we won’t have cadavers but after talking with the school and with the doctors I worked with at the time, I’m grateful that we get this opportunity to take part in such cutting edge technology. I love the idea that we are given VR headsets that we get to keep. I can be home at 3 in the morning and walk through a body down to the nerve endings. Everything about this school fit what I was looking for in my medical career and the new medical school building is gorgeous. I was accepted to many other schools and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I love the Central Valley and knowing I’ll get to help the medically underserved. If you’d like to know anything else, please let me know and good luck!! Hopefully we’ll see you all during interview season!
Hi, thank you for sharing this. Having been there for almost a year now anything else you can share about tour experience thus far?

So we haven’t started classes yet so I can’t speak too much to the faculty and administrators but from what I have experienced so far, it’s been amazing. We’ve had multiple zoom meetings with lots of the teachers, administrators, and the Dean. They have been incredible at keeping us informed, answering our questions, and listening to our feedback. I am extremely excited to be working with all of them as it appears each brings a unique perspective to the school. As for our curriculum, we have a systems based 2-pass layout. The lectures utilize TBL, team based learning, which I think gives us the advantage of collaborating on topics. This was a huge selling point for me because I think we all have something to learn from everyone we meet and hearing different perspectives will only broaden the knowledge we’ll acquire. Another great selling point was the virtual anatomy class. I remember coming on here and seeing people criticizing the fact we won’t have cadavers but after talking with the school and with the doctors I worked with at the time, I’m grateful that we get this opportunity to take part in such cutting edge technology. I love the idea that we are given VR headsets that we get to keep. I can be home at 3 in the morning and walk through a body down to the nerve endings. Everything about this school fit what I was looking for in my medical career and the new medical school building is gorgeous. I was accepted to many other schools and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I love the Central Valley and knowing I’ll get to help the medically underserved. If you’d like to know anything else, please let me know and good luck!! Hopefully we’ll see you all during interview season!
Thank you for sharing! Since you have been there for almost a year now can you share your experience thus far?

Thank you for sharing! Since you have been there for almost a year can you share your experience thus far?

My interview is tomorrow. Any last-minute advice? I'm super anxious

My interview is tomorrow. Any last-minute advice? I'm super anxious
Be yourself! Its not stressed and they are super nice. Just know why do you wanna be a doc? why osteopathic med? the normal q's! Enjoy the rest! You'll do great!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
If you could ask them if when they expect to see the WL move and when, that would be wonderful! It would help ease some of your anxiety as well :)
Lol, let them focus on their interview 😂

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for sharing! Since you have been there for almost a year can you share your experience thus far?
Hi, there! While I am not @DOCMom84, I am currently an OMS I (almost OMS II) at CHSU. I can say without a doubt say I am very pleased and impressed with how our first year has gone. COVID has actually benefited us as the first class. Most of my friends at other schools have never been in person for classes with the exception of tests. We have been in person with the exception of late November to mid-March. We've benefited academically from COVID, but socially as a class, we haven't been able to establish traditions that maybe we would have if we were able to hang out.

I think our education is on par with other schools. Our professors are like any other school, there will be one's you do and don't like. While we have had some turnover in professors, the general consensus of the class is that it has been for the better. CHSU gives us access to a bunch of board prep materials. If we have any concerns/worries for the future (us being the first class we have many because we have no one above to give us advice or know what to expect) one of the Deans will schedule a meeting and let us know what resources we have and what to expect. Coming from a large undergrad, it has been a huge change (for the better) coming to a school where faculty almost equals the student body.

I think it is difficult for us as the first class to determine if something "isn't working" or is it something if we were first years at an established school we wouldn't think twice about it. With that said, to expect or say there have been no hiccups at a new school would be dishonest. There are a few sessions (about 2-4 hours a week) that are mandatory that most of the class doesn't view as beneficial. There have been some changes to the curriculum and schedule for us as well as for the incoming first years. Which is a good sign the school adapts quickly and receives input and feedback well.

In my opinion, the school has done a great job with us and preparing for the next class. I have zero regrets about coming to CHSU.

Reactions: 6 users
So you can only take out private loans right now for CHSU? We don’t have to fill out FAFSA for CHSU?

So you can only take out private loans right now for CHSU? We don’t have to fill out FAFSA for CHSU?
For this coming school year (2021-22), I believe this is true. I am not 100% sure, but this may be the last year the school is not eligible for federal loans. Once a school (the university not the COM) has graduated students for 6 years, which CHSU will with the COP in the 2021-22 school year, the school becomes eligible for federal loans. This is only what I have heard and have not been able to confirm this online. Students in the current class are expecting to be able to take out federal loans in the 2022-23 school year.

For this coming school year (2021-22), I believe this is true. I am not 100% sure, but this may be the last year the school is not eligible for federal loans. Once a school (the university not the COM) has graduated students for 6 years, which CHSU will with the COP in the 2021-22 school year, the school becomes eligible for federal loans. This is only what I have heard and have not been able to confirm this online. Students in the current class are expecting to be able to take out federal loans in the 2022-23 school year.

That's actually really interesting. I pretty much tried blocking out the existence of the CHSU-COP from my mind after seeing some pretty concerning posts on their yearly application threads (and the whole loss of accreditation). Hopefully you're right and the incoming class can get the federal loans as soon as second year

Anyone hear back or anything?
I have not; do you know how much preference they give to in-state applicants? I'm an OOS applicant who interviewed with them back in September and was waitlisted. I'm trying to get a realistic expectation of where I stand lol

I have not; do you know how much preference they give to in-state applicants? I'm an OOS applicant who interviewed with them back in September and was waitlisted. I'm trying to get a realistic expectation of where I stand lol
I too am wondering this, I recently got invited to interview and am OOS with average to lower stats so I don't know how well I stand amongst the other applicants. I feel like they definitely have a central valley and IS bias, can anyone confirm?

I too am wondering this, I recently got invited to interview and am OOS with average to lower stats so I don't know how well I stand amongst the other applicants. I feel like they definitely have a central valley and IS bias, can anyone confirm?
They definitely do have a bias for central valley students. The school was started to retain central valley students in the valley since there is a dire need for healthcare workers in the area.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe they mostly do accept in state based on their last class. If you go to their COM brochure- 19% of students are OOS the rest are from California. If I did the math right thats 15 students.

They definitely do have a bias for central valley students. The school was started to retain central valley students in the valley since there is a dire need for healthcare workers in the area.
When I interviewed, they asked about my connections to CA and I told them I had both my grandparents (who were doctors) live there as well as my uncles/aunts. Do you think that helps my chance at all or am I just being hopeful 😂

When I interviewed, they asked about my connections to CA and I told them I had both my grandparents (who were doctors) live there as well as my uncles/aunts. Do you think that helps my chance at all or am I just being hopeful 😂
I would send an update letter if you haven't done so. Mention your interest in the area, why and tie it back to maybe your grandparents. If you have any questions DM. I can help you :)

I only received one on 1/29 and 3/3. Should I be worried lol?

No that seems like the usual check in! I received the continued interest survey this week as well
Update, I reached out to them and they said there was a technical issue on their end, but they noted my interest.

I hope that doesn’t effect my chances of being pulled from the WL lol

Update, I reached out to them and they said there was a technical issue on their end, but they noted my interest.

I hope that doesn’t effect my chances of being pulled from the WL lol
What do you mean technical issue???

What do you mean technical issue???
I guess you’re supposed to receive monthly waitlist surveys. I only got one in January and for February. I also didn’t get the one you guys got last week. So I guess there was an issue with sending them out to me? I’m not sure that’s just what they said.

I guess you’re supposed to receive monthly waitlist surveys. I only got one in January and for February. I also didn’t get the one you guys got last week. So I guess there was an issue with sending them out to me? I’m not sure that’s just what they said.
Weird; I wasn't getting them monthly either, I was getting them like every other month.