2020-2021 Carle Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people from the third showcase - did the admissions committee give any update on when decisions will be released? Guessing it's still February or later, but wondering if there were any additional updates
I don't remember hearing the timeframe but I hope it's mid-February! I thought they mentioned a survey that would be sent out, has anyone received it yet?

Members don't see this ad.

So according to past years, when could we expect some As? I know someone above stated late-Feburary and some were released for the first showcase group, but I'm hoping there were some cases for early-Feburary for all showcase

Reactions: 1 user
So according to past years, when could we expect some As? I know someone above stated late-Feburary and some were released for the first showcase group, but I'm hoping there were some cases for early-Feburary for all showcase
Idk if this helps but I was at the second showcase and looked back at my notes. They said everyone can expect to hear back before the end of feb. Idk if that means just people from the second showcase or if they will release all admission decisions by the end of feb. I'm hoping for the latter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if this helps but I was at the second showcase and looked back at my notes. They said everyone can expect to hear back before the end of feb. Idk if that means just people from the second showcase or if they will release all admission decisions by the end of feb. I'm hoping for the latter.

From last years thread it was like 8 days after the last showcase, so maybe we will start hearing next week!

• Love
From last years thread it was like 8 days after the last showcase, so maybe we will start hearing next week!
This is the confirmation bias that I've been waiting for, now I can sit with anxiety for the next 8 days instead of waiting until end of Feburary :D

Does anyone know if they accept update letters?
Nah, at the end of the showcase they made a big deal about how they think update letters are unfair since everyone's application timeline is different and those who apply earlier or later will have had different amounts of time to get experiences. To me that doesn't make much sense, e.g. I submitted the primary in May and have had 3 new experiences since then that won't even be considered lol. On that note they also do not want letters of intent or any additional letters of recommendation.

When did they say showcase people would hear back about decisions again? I remember it was sometime in feb but don't know if they specified early or late
I think someone earlier on this thread said that the ADCOM said "we'll all know by Feb. 25"

anyone else's heart start racing when you got the "Salutations" email from Carle Illinois today? and then it was just them answering questions they've gotten since the showcase lol.. really got my hopes up... 😟

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else's heart start racing when you got the "Salutations" email from Carle Illinois today? and then it was just them answering questions they've gotten since the showcase lol.. really got my hopes up... 😟

I didn't get that :(

The suspense is killing me. Hopefully we hear back in the next two weeks...

Reactions: 3 users
The suspense is killing me. Hopefully we hear back in the next two weeks...

Honestly though, I feel like most of us are going to get WL'd and then as the months go on, maybe get pulled from the WL. And to me, that's kind of worse than just not knowing, because you know there's the possibility you can get in, but you don't know for sure. And I'm one of those people who has a difficult time making decisions without definitive facts (ie accepted at school A, might prefer school B but WL'd there, but can't decide where I'd rather matriculate until I knew if I'd get off the WL at school B).

• Sad
Honestly though, I feel like most of us are going to get WL'd and then as the months go on, maybe get pulled from the WL. And to me, that's kind of worse than just not knowing, because you know there's the possibility you can get in, but you don't know for sure. And I'm one of those people who has a difficult time making decisions without definitive facts (ie accepted at school A, might prefer school B but WL'd there, but can't decide where I'd rather matriculate until I knew if I'd get off the WL at school B).
I really feel you on that. I think the WL will come to many simply because they have such a strict class size requirement (in showcase I remember they said they needed *exactly* 48) so they have to be super careful not to over-accept but also keep a large waitlist in case they can't get to 48 with the initial wave!

I really feel you on that. I think the WL will come to many simply because they have such a strict class size requirement (in showcase I remember they said they needed *exactly* 48) so they have to be super careful not to over-accept but also keep a large waitlist in case they can't get to 48 with the initial wave!
Realistically speaking, I think both of you are probably right. But the optimist in me hopes they kept *some* spots in their class open until this last showcase, and that some of us will be accepted outright!

Realistically speaking, I think both of you are probably right. But the optimist in me hopes they kept *some* spots in their class open until this last showcase, and that some of us will be accepted outright!
Oops sorry, I definitely wasn't saying that later showcases will be getting WLs and earlier showcases will get A's -- I don't think there's any evidence for that case. It's possible (and I think some schools actually do this) that they simply review all the applicants once more before they release decisions, thus everyone has an equal chance at an A.

• Love
I am hoping they are gonna send it this week! It seems like they tend to do it on Wednesdays. Hopefully we will all get some good news soon!

• Love
If we weren't invited to a showcase, does that mean we definitely will be rejected? Cause I haven't received a decision yet but I saw that the last showcase was January 25th. Since I wasn't invited, I'm wondering why they haven't already rejected me.

If we weren't invited to a showcase, does that mean we definitely will be rejected? Cause I haven't received a decision yet but I saw that the last showcase was January 25th. Since I wasn't invited, I'm wondering why they haven't already rejected me.
That's a great question because their showcase invitation mentions that you don't need a showcase invite to be accepted. Someone previously posted that you need one, but not sure if anyone actually has this answer

That's a great question because their showcase invitation mentions that you don't need a showcase invite to be accepted. Someone previously posted that you need one, but not sure if anyone actually has this answer
Ok if they actually mentioned on their showcase invitation that you don't need an invite to be accepted, that makes me feel a lot better. I just wonder why they wouldn't invite someone to a showcase that they plan on accepting?

Ok if they actually mentioned on their showcase invitation that you don't need an invite to be accepted, that makes me feel a lot better. I just wonder why they wouldn't invite someone to a showcase that they plan on accepting?
You need one to be accepted because my understanding is a showcase invite is extended to all who has an app that is scored above a threshold score. By virtue of an app NOT making that threshold and thus not receiving a showcase invitation, that means that app is going to be ranked low and so an acceptance would only be extended if all 300+ showcase invitees choose not to matriculate to Carle. The showcase invite states that those invited are the most competitive applicants. The only exception I could possibly think of is if your app was somehow not reviewed in time for the Jan showcase but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need one to be accepted because my understanding is a showcase invite is extended to all who has an app that is scored above a threshold score. By virtue of an app NOT making that threshold and thus not receiving a showcase invitation, that means that app is going to be ranked low and so an acceptance would only be extended if all 300+ showcase invitees choose not to matriculate to Carle. The showcase invite states that those invited are the most competitive applicants. The only exception I could possibly think of is if your app was somehow not reviewed in time for the Jan showcase but I'm not sure if that is possible.
Yea that makes sense to me. Can anyone confirm that on their showcase invitations they mention that you don't need a showcase invite to be accepted?

Yea that makes sense to me. Can anyone confirm that on their showcase invitations they mention that you don't need a showcase invite to be accepted?
No, the invite actually says PARTICIPATING in it is not required for admissions. I read that as them saying you do not need to attend if invited to be accepted as there is no interview or evaluative portion of the day and not that you don't need an invite. Here is the sentence:

Participation for this showcase is not required in order to receive an offer of admission, but attendance is strongly encouraged.

No, the invite actually says PARTICIPATING in it is not required for admissions. I read that as them saying you do not need to attend if invited to be accepted as there is no interview or evaluative portion of the day and not that you don't need an invite. Here is the sentence:

Participation for this showcase is not required in order to receive an offer of admission, but attendance is strongly encouraged.
Yeah this was my interpretation, you don't need to attend showcase to be accepted but you would need to receive an invitation to be in the pool that's considered for admission.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah this was my interpretation, you don't need to attend showcase to be accepted but you would need to receive an invitation to be in the pool that's considered for admission.
That makes sense. I just wish they sent out rejections as soon as they sent invites for the last showcase. I had no idea showcases were even a thing and was just waiting an extra month for a decision for no reason.

• Care
That makes sense. I just wish they sent out rejections as soon as they sent invites for the last showcase. I had no idea showcases were even a thing and was just waiting an extra month for a decision for no reason.
Yeah that is somewhat unfair of them. I hate schools that only do rejections at the very very end like come on, if you know you don't want me don't string me along

WOW Congrats!!!! Was it in an email or portal update? Also which showcase did you attend?
It was an email that notified there was a change in your application status. Then the acceptance page had digital confetti and everything with its "Welcome to the class of 2025"
I attended showcase 2.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It was an email that notified there was a change in your application status. Then the acceptance page had digital confetti and everything with its "Welcome to the class of 2025"
I attended showcase 2.
Okay, thank you! Congrats again, that is amazing!! :love::love:

I attended showcase 2.
Congrats!!

Pre-II R. Complete 10/8.

• Care
aww what did they say?
1613662620686.png

I'm sorry to hear about the Rs everyone! :cryi: Were any of you at one of the showcases?

I attended showcase 2.
Congrats! When were you complete?

Curious, because the showcase is based on threshold, there necessarily won't be 300 people invited to the showcase. There were ~100 (little over 100 actually) in the first one, but I was wondering if anyone from the second and third showcase chime in how many applicants were there? Number of applicants invited to showcase may even hit ~400 or ~500 depending on how the threshold was set

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious, because the showcase is based on threshold, there necessarily won't be 300 people invited to the showcase. There were ~100 (little over 100 actually) in the first one, but I was wondering if anyone from the second and third showcase chime in how many applicants were there? Number of applicants invited to showcase may even hit ~400 or ~500 depending on how the threshold was set
The adcoms said that each showcase was maxed out at ~150 students. So I think they only invited 450 people to the showcases total. I was at the second showcase btw

The third showcase seemed to have about 45 participants in my room so maybe ~80-100 students there total?

Anybody from the January 25th showcase hear back yet outside of the "Salutations email? UICOM sent out stuff on Friday 2/19, so I was thinking Carle might be somewhat synced up to that generally speaking.