2020-2021 Carle Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay accepted!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks! I was in the first

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I hope they get back to the rest of the first showcase people soon, I’m dying from anxiety over here

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! Got WL'd at my top choice earlier today so I could use a mood boost RN since I consider Carle to be tied with my top choice.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I hope they get back to the rest of the first showcase people soon, I’m dying from anxiety over here
LM in signature, PM me if you want more specifics :)

WOOOOOO congrats to everyone! Any idea how many they've sent out so far? I was in the first showcase as well.

helloooo has anyone been invited to the final showcase recently? crossing my fingers that my alma mater will want me 😰

Assuming the final showcase is on Jan. 25, be on the lookout for an invitation around Dec. 31 or Jan. 07. Highly doubt it'll be on New Year's Eve lol.

High level of neuroticism like me?? Read More:
The pattern so far (this year + last couple of years) has been
1. Showcase Invites on Thursdays (2-3 weeks prior to showcase),
2. Showcases on Mondays,
3. Acceptances on Wednesdays.

For more details from last year, see here:
Okay, so here is what I learned about the admin process at the showcase.

Just under 3000 applicants. Each applicant is reviewed by at least 2 different faculty members and score the applications. The person review the application takes at least 45 minutes per application and is only allowed to watch the video last in order to reduce bias. Based on the average score applicants receive from this review, just under 300 showcase attendance offers are given.

With this most recent showcase on Monday, a subcommittee will now meet on Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and go over each showcase attendee in depth. Some time in between Monday and Thursday an experience subcommittee member will completely review up to 10 applicants. In front of the subcommittee, each experienced subcommittee member will make the case of why their applicant show be accepted, and this subcommittee will all give a score to the applicant anonymously and electronically. From there, the average of all the scores is assigned to the applicant.

Then on Friday, the next day, the subcommittee will reconvene to review the scores for each applicant and there will be an opportunity for committee members to make cases why an individual score for an applicant should be higher or lower.

Then the following Tuesday, this subcommittee will present their top candidates for acceptance to the full admissions committee. The full admissions committee will then offer acceptances that week to a hand full of candidates (about 10 was the number given). If you are not given an acceptance next week, you will be on the silent waitlist and more acceptances will trickle out. I was not told how many acceptances were currently given, but they said by March 15th they expect to have their initial 80 acceptances given. After that there will only be 1 for 1 swap acceptances given when the total number of accepted students drops below 40. This can go on as late as the week before class which was the latest acceptance given last year.

I was super impressed with the whole school, curriculum, transparency about the process, and caliber of the faculty. Really hope I get in lol. I now think this school is exactly how I would make a medical school if I could build exactly what I wanted.

Reactions: 4 users
Assuming the final showcase is on Jan. 25, be on the lookout for an invitation around Dec. 31 or Jan. 07. Highly doubt it'll be on New Year's Eve lol.

High level of neuroticism like me?? Read More:
The pattern so far (this year + last couple of years) has been
1. Showcase Invites on Thursdays (2-3 weeks prior to showcase),
2. Showcases on Mondays,
3. Acceptances on Wednesdays.

For more details from last year, see here:
Keep in mind that this isn't quite accurate for this year, since the Oct. 12 showcase didn't hear back until 12/16 -- they're also accepting more students this year (48 vs 32 last year). I don't think it's possible that they only accept 10 ppl per showcase, otherwise they wouldn't be able to fill up their class off just 3. Totally possible everyone from the first showcase who didn't hear back 12/16 is on a silent waitlist, but I wouldn't get worried about it since this year is so much different!

Keep in mind that this isn't quite accurate for this year, since the Oct. 12 showcase didn't hear back until 12/16 -- they're also accepting more students this year (48 vs 32 last year). I don't think it's possible that they only accept 10 ppl per showcase, otherwise they wouldn't be able to fill up their class off just 3. Totally possible everyone from the first showcase who didn't hear back 12/16 is on a silent waitlist, but I wouldn't get worried about it since this year is so much different!
48 students were accepted last year. There might be some misinformation on last year's thread because supposedly it was a last minute decision to take 48 students

Does anyone have any idea when the second showcase folks will hear back? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they've sent out all the acceptances from the first showcase?

Has anyone been rejected yet? I am PRAYING for a showcase invite from this school, but crickets over here. Thanks in advance!

• Care
Has anyone been rejected yet? I am PRAYING for a showcase invite from this school, but crickets over here. Thanks in advance!

What day did you submit your secondary? I submitted 9/23 and haven’t heard anything.

Has anyone been able to find the Step scores on Carle's website? I think they said they'd release them at some point (from what I remember from the first showcase), but I can't find them anywhere.

Just got invited to the showcase! Beyond ecstatic!
+1, so excited! unfortunately it's also the same time as my first day of classes (Jan 25th) but I'll gladly miss syllabus day for this!

Just got invited to Jan 25th showcase! How many people are typically at the showcases? I'm unsure if this means something or if they just invite most people.

In the showcase I was at, they said it's not a fixed number -they invite everyone who meets their cutoff criteria. However, I do think it's a bit of a rigorous criteria because it's essentially their version of an interview, so they only invite people who they think will fit in at the school, excel academically, and who they are interested in.

I really hope we start to hear something soon... I was in the first showcase and it's been a long wait.

I really hope we start to hear something soon... I was in the first showcase and it's been a long wait.
same, i'm really hoping that small number of A's that went out wasn't all of them from the first showcase. I've been manifesting so hard every wednesday now

Just got invited to Jan 25th showcase! How many people are typically at the showcases? I'm unsure if this means something or if they just invite most people.
+1 !!! This is it!!!! Please someone tell me what to expect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@arketone and @FelicitaMed : there's not a set number of applicants that they invite to a showcase. Everyone who submits a secondary gets a score assigned by their reviewers (not sure of their criteria). Everyone at or above that score threshold gets invited to a showcase, so some showcases will have more/less applicants. Think of it like selecting candidates to interview, except they don't pick a specific number: everyone who is invited to the showcase is someone that the adcom feels would be a great physician and addition to the school.

The showcase itself is more to be informative to the applicants. If you watch the videos they send beforehand, all of that same info is covered. There are breakout sessions so that you can ask questions in a smaller group.

Reactions: 2 users
@arketone and @FelicitaMed : there's not a set number of applicants that they invite to a showcase. Everyone who submits a secondary gets a score assigned by their reviewers (not sure of their criteria). Everyone at or above that score threshold gets invited to a showcase, so some showcases will have more/less applicants. Think of it like selecting candidates to interview, except they don't pick a specific number: everyone who is invited to the showcase is someone that the adcom feels would be a great physician and addition to the school.

The showcase itself is more to be informative to the applicants. If you watch the videos they send beforehand, all of that same info is covered. There are breakout sessions so that you can ask questions in a smaller group.
... no PBL, no interview? I have spent so much time, money and anxiety for the big moment (interviews) and nobody will interview me? How are admissions offered

... no PBL, no interview? I have spent so much time, money and anxiety for the big moment (interviews) and nobody will interview me? How are admissions offered

I don't think they did a PBL demo (at least not at my showcase, I was in the first one. They may have since added a PBL demo). No, there isn't an interview, they don't utilize interviews in their admissions process. I'm sure they're watching to make sure no one sticks out like a sore thumb, but they did make it a point to say we aren't being evaluated. They said after the last showcase, they'll start to really re-look at everyone and start to make admission offers based on the needs of the class at that time. Most people will be WL'd, and then they'll carefully start to pull from the WL as time goes on.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Anyone who has been to one of the showcases, is there any time for individual talking/introduction at all or just talking with other applicants? Just not sure if I should expect any basic questions like "tell us about yourself" "why medicine" etc. Thanks!!

Hi! Anyone who has been to one of the showcases, is there any time for individual talking/introduction at all or just talking with other applicants? Just not sure if I should expect any basic questions like "tell us about yourself" "why medicine" etc. Thanks!!
In my showcase, we just went around and said name, hometown, school, and why we are interested in Carle (most people answered in 20 seconds or less, very chill).

I was at the second showcase. We didn't have time for everyone to talk about themselves but we did have time to ask questions during the presentations

I was at the second showcase. We didn't have time for everyone to talk about themselves but we did have time to ask questions during the presentations
Were the presentations the same as the video links they sent or new/different? Thanks!

Were the presentations the same as the video links they sent or new/different? Thanks!
They were similar but definitely a lot more informative from the showcase. I mostly used the video links so I could follow along better and ask more detailed questions about the program

For those attending the showcase tomorrow, did you submit questions ahead of time?

For those attending the showcase tomorrow, did you submit questions ahead of time?
lol noooo I totally didn't catch that the deadline was 1/19 😰 but I guess we can still try to think of some questions for the student panel or if there's any downtime?

lol noooo I totally didn't catch that the deadline was 1/19 😰 but I guess we can still try to think of some questions for the student panel or if there's any downtime?
Yes i think there will be time for additional questions. Best of luck tomorrow!

Anyone have any idea what their criteria for sending showcase interviews might be? Like about what stat range or LM score? Just curious!

Anyone have any idea what their criteria for sending showcase interviews might be? Like about what stat range or LM score? Just curious!

My GPA is like 10th percentile and MCAT ~15th percentile, and I was in the first showcase. So I really do think they look at applicants holistically, first making sure that they believe you would succeed academically there, and then looking at your EC's, secondary, and other essays to see if you'd be a good fit. From what I gather, stats come in to play later when they decide who to admit.

My GPA is like 10th percentile and MCAT ~15th percentile, and I was in the first showcase. So I really do think they look at applicants holistically, first making sure that they believe you would succeed academically there, and then looking at your EC's, secondary, and other essays to see if you'd be a good fit. From what I gather, stats come in to play later when they decide who to admit.
That's awesome! When you say 10th/15th percentile, are you referring with respect to Carle's current admission data based on MSAR?

That's awesome! When you say 10th/15th percentile, are you referring with respect to Carle's current admission data based on MSAR?

Yup! I also don't have an engineering background (although my brain is wired in an engineer-y way lol), which I do wish I had maybe been able to show better on my secondary. Oh well.

For people from the third showcase - did the admissions committee give any update on when decisions will be released? Guessing it's still February or later, but wondering if there were any additional updates

Reactions: 3 users