2020-2021 Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the main reasons depression and unhappiness is prevalent here is the way the class sessions are structured in our schedules. The admin just “conveniently” put all the required class stuff the day before major deadlines and exams, which takes away from study time when they could have otherwise put it elsewhere and EARLIER in our schedule. They say they could not have structured it any other way, as it conflicts with other things in our schedule, but we all know it’s not true. There are convenient days available that are completely unoccupied.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Also current MS3 here - I welcome messages about my experience if anyone is concerned or alarmed. I don't want to diminish any individual's experience. However, I would just encourage everyone on SDN to always take whatever you read online about medical school, residency, etc. with a huge grain of salt. I know for me it caused a lot of unnecessary fear and stress.

I just want to say that many of my fellow students felt very strongly about how supportive administration has been for us, and they really shined in light of COVID and how well they advocated for us with what happened with the Step exams. I would pick CU again any time in a heartbeat. It has been a great place for me. No medical school is perfect and medical school is hard, no matter where you go. You do have to figure out what your priorities are when you apply because no medical school is the right place for everyone.

Also current MS3 here - I welcome messages about my experience if anyone is concerned or alarmed. I don't want to diminish any individual's experience. However, I would just encourage everyone on SDN to always take whatever you read online about medical school, residency, etc. with a huge grain of salt. I know for me it caused a lot of unnecessary fear and stress.

I just want to say that many of my fellow students felt very strongly about how supportive administration has been for us, and they really shined in light of COVID and how well they advocated for us with what happened with the Step exams. I would pick CU again any time in a heartbeat. It has been a great place for me. No medical school is perfect and medical school is hard, no matter where you go. You do have to figure out what your priorities are when you apply because no medical school is the right place for everyone.

thank you for the insight. Since you are both current students, can you comment on curriculum? Is it mostly lectures, mostly active learning (case or problem based) or a mix?

the more detail the better, thx!

@Pink Panda

thank you for the insight. Since you are both current students, can you comment on curriculum? Is it mostly lectures, mostly active learning (case or problem based) or a mix?

the more detail the better, thx!

@Pink Panda

It's a mix of lecture style and active, small group, cased-based learning. Lectures 8-12pm M-F, small group 2-3 per week for 1-2 hrs. Afternoons we have other random required stuff....everything from foundation of doctoring where you learn PE skills on standardized patients, communications sessions, to medical ethics. I'd say it's a pretty standard curriculum. Lectured are streamed live and you can download and watch remotely at home. Most lectures aside from patients coming in are not required. All small groups and afternoon sessions are required. Honestly, I just feel like my schedule varied a lot 1st two years depending on what was required that day.

It's a mix of lecture style and active, small group, cased-based learning. Lectures 8-12pm M-F, small group 2-3 per week for 1-2 hrs. Afternoons we have other random required stuff....everything from foundation of doctoring where you learn PE skills on standardized patients, communications sessions, to medical ethics. I'd say it's a pretty standard curriculum. Lectured are streamed live and you can download and watch remotely at home. Most lectures aside from patients coming in are not required. All small groups and afternoon sessions are required. Honestly, I just feel like my schedule varied a lot 1st two years depending on what was required that day.

thank you! Really helpful to know.

Your experience sounds disappointing and it makes sense you are angry with faculty and admin. You’ll be so much stronger and empathetic towards students + others as an attending and physician for it. Hopefully people like you will get more involved with medical education to make some real change

thank you! Really helpful to know.

Your experience sounds disappointing and it makes sense you are angry with faculty and admin. You’ll be so much stronger and empathetic towards students + others as an attending and physician for it. Hopefully people like you will get more involved with medical education to make some real change

Thanks for your kind words. I'm definitely disappointed but there's a silver lining to everything and I'm hoping residency will be a more positive experience. I still get to do what I want to do in the future, as medical school is a fleeting experience, the "good" people in the school are actively enacting programs to help combat these issues, and I'm quite happy with the relationship I have with the department of my specialty of choice and the abundant research opportunities. I've found a niche with people I enjoy being around which has further reaffirmed my specialty choice. As everything in life, there are always two sides to an experience and nothing is ever completely black and white, never only 100% positive or negative. As much as I think there needs to be improvement in student mistreatment, I am grateful of the opportunities for the growth the school has allotted me and I am confident my experiences will prepare me to be a compassionate and caring physician. If you want the inside story of what really happened to me over the past few years or have any general Q's, feel free to PM me! Good luck this cycle. You all will do great!

Last edited by a moderator:
CU is undergoing extensive curriculum changes and what the current MS3s experienced will be different from what your class will. I recommend that you all get in touch with the CU proreps (can find this information if you google CU SOM proreps) so that you get the most current information. I also recommend getting in touch with them for verified student perspectives on the CU experience. Please do not rely solely on SDN to make your decision on your overall impression for a school.
If you would like additional viewpoints (I have had amazing experiences with faculty and admin and found them incredibly supportive ears for all my concerns) please feel free to PM me for additional data points.

CU is undergoing extensive curriculum changes and what the current MS3s experienced will be different from what your class will. I recommend that you all get in touch with the CU proreps (can find this information if you google CU SOM proreps) so that you get the most current information. I also recommend getting in touch with them for verified student perspectives on the CU experience. Please do not rely solely on SDN to make your decision on your overall impression for a school.
If you would like additional viewpoints (I have had amazing experiences with faculty and admin and found them incredibly supportive ears for all my concerns) please feel free to PM me for additional data points.

I'm glad you and others had positive experiences here. Unfortunately I was not as lucky as you :(. If you saw the email communications from faculty I received (I can let you see if you really want) and describe my experiences in further detail, I think you would agree. I even had other faculty suggest me submit mistreatment reports on multiple occasions...

To everyone on SDN, yes take everything I say with a grain of salt, as my one experience is certainly not reflective of those of others. At the end of the day, it is ultimately your choice where to go.

I'm glad you and others had positive experiences here. Unfortunately I was not as lucky as you :(. If you saw the email communications from faculty I received (I can let you see if you really want) and describe my experiences in further detail, I think you would agree. I even had other faculty suggest me submit mistreatment reports on multiple occasions...

To everyone on SDN, yes take everything I say with a grain of salt, as my one experience is certainly not reflective of those of others. At the end of the day, it is ultimately your choice where to go.
I’m not trying to deny your experience. We both have the right to voice our views and experiences to people who are investigating CU.

I’m not trying to deny your experience. We both have the right to voice our views and experiences to people who are investigating CU.

And this is why the school would never allow me to be a student on their admissions committee helping with interview days. They want to paint a perfect picture of "roses" to applicants and maintain a positive facade.

Members don't see this ad :)
And this is why the school would never allow me to be a student on their admissions committee helping with interview days. They want to paint a perfect picture of "roses" to applicants and maintain a positive facade.
Sorry this has been your experience. When I was a prospective applicant I personally received honest pros and cons from current students. I have heard from others that the pro reps go above and beyond to give not just the great things about CU but also the things that need improvement. Students did emphasize the supportive environment and I have found this to be true. Certainly this is not universal and it isn’t at any medical school (each individual experience is valid) but my experience has been reflective of students and faculty being collaborative. Admin here has been so amazing for me.
Again I am not trying to deny any individual’s experience and I hope no one would try to negate my positive experience either.
Please PM me if you are a prospective student and want another data point.

is anyone under review yet?

I received and submitted the secondary on 7/15 and was complete the same day with an Application Complete and this in the note " Your application is ready, and under review." in the status section. I am IS.

All,

I would like to clarify the differing viewpoint I, and another current student, have about this institution. I dislike getting into arguments about perspective, as each is unique to every individual, but in my 7+ years being a member of SDN, I cannot help but notice that presenting a viewpoint different from what others like to hear often leads to being labeled a "troll" and being told to solicit "verified perspectives" from other current students, with the implication that your less-than-mainstream and positive opinion of the school makes you somehow less credible and legit for giving opinions. I'm sad to say this kind of attitude holds true in small group sessions at the school in a supposedly safe environment to voice your opinions.

The reason I felt strong enough to post about my experience is that upon reflection, I feel that investing in this institution has been the biggest regret of my life, from both a monetary sacrifice and personal growth perspective. Us students pay expensive tuition to be educated....not mistreated. I came in fresh-faced and open to possibilities, only to be disappointed in multiple ways. A few prominent faculty on the admin who I initially saw as role models turned out to be bullies (albeit with more power). Several students who I saw as potential friends and group mates began berating me for my differing opinions, trying to make me feel small. I was gaslighted into thinking otherwise, until I was suggested by multiple faculty to report this mistreatment.

My preceptor who was a former student at CU likewise told me about his negative experiences and I have personally witnessed the mistreatment of several of my peers as well. Last but not least, objective data does not lie and the school even acknowledged its shortcomings. I'm fortunate in the sense that the institution still has student concerns on its mind and has taken initiative to address them. However, I will say it is still a LONG way from reaching its goals. Overall, I feel it is a hostile learning environment.

If you decide to come here, my only suggestion is to be prepared to deal with anything and maintain a strong social support network outside of medical school if you do not feel supported by faculty or students here. And if things don't turn out as expected, just keep your future in perspective and realize medical school is a fleeting experience. I wish you all the best of luck and to find a caring and collaborative institution to further your education.......wherever you deem fit. Oh! And don't forget to stand up for yourself if need be
;)

Hey everyone. Current CU MS4 here and also a 7+ year member, so I've been around the block once or twice. I wanted to add some more student insight to this conversation and am open to pre-med PMs if you have questions about the school, just keep in mind that I'm filling out ERAS I might take a sec to respond.

I'm honestly surprised to hear about @Pink Panda's experience about repeated mistreatment, since this is sooooo far from what my experience has been and what my classmates have experienced. CU is known for really chill & down to earth faculty/residents (I wore a tie only once in third year and was told to ditch the tie) who will go out of their way to help students. Your small groups are led by volunteer attendings. On EM, an attending spent an hour of his time walking me through building differential diagnoses. On surgery, multiple residents scoured the hospital for looking student suture kits.

I understand we all have different opinions, and again, I'm pretty shocked that someone had such a bad experience in the first two years of med school or are so upset about the timing of required sessions that they would disparage their own medical school on an anonymous forum. Read the study they cited closer: in 2012, mistreatment was found to be a huge problem at CUSOM. Over 6 years, the school worked to implement program after program to reduce mistreatment, resulting in a 36% reduction in mistreatment and matching the national average.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 3.52.34 PM.png

Is it perfect? No, but it's a 6 year trend in the right direction. Will 1 curriculum completely satisfy 184 students? Probably not, but minor scheduling problems aside, I think our curriculum did pretty damn well at preparing me for residency & the match.

Alright enough procrastination, I'm told you can't match without a personal statement.

Reactions: 2 users
I get accused for disparaging the school and for giving my honest opinion. How about the faulty and students who disparaged me? Why don’t they get called out on their behavior and get reprimanded instead of the victim? I think one the shortcomings that I experienced was having peers seeing me being mistreated and doing absolutely nothing about it. Now on a web forum when I give people the 180 view of the school, I receive so much backlash. Not everyone was lucky to have a good experience and should definitely not be called upon or accused of disparaging a school like this.

I’m glad the school has improved its student mistreatment. But it doesn’t really matter if it still happens to you personally!

Disparaged by students for disparaging a school that disparaged me.

Gee...sounds really fair. Before I spill the beans on more stuff that happened to my class that will make you question your decision to come here...

Disparaged by students for disparaging a school that disparaged me.

Gee...sounds real fair. Before I spill the beans on more stuff that happened to my class that will make you question your decision to come here. Enough for today.

Dude, chill out a little...voice your opinion but don’t overstate it.

Dude, chill out a little...voice your opinion but don’t overstate it.

Ok, I admit going overboard....emphasizing myself repeatedly. You all get the point. Bye for now. Time to get on with my life. Peace ✌️

Does anyone have suggestions about what CU cares most about? so I can talk more about that in my essay. Thank you!

Was anyone interested in the Urban track? Apparently they put it into the new curriculum with LEADS also. I’m wondering how much this new curriculum intends to merge everything.

Does anyone have suggestions about what CU cares most about? so I can talk more about that in my essay. Thank you!
Yeah I find this really hard to talk about with the information on their website...

Hi all! I am very new here so not entirely sure how to work this (so forgive me please). Anyways, does anyone know the screening baseline requirements for CO? I am OOS, have not taken my MCAT as it was canceled (taking it in sept). I have not received a secondary, was wondering if it was because I was screened out or because I have yet to take my MCAT. Thank you for any help!

I get accused for disparaging the school and for giving my honest opinion. How about the faulty and students who disparaged me? Why don’t they get called out on their behavior and get reprimanded instead of the victim? I think one the shortcomings that I experienced was having peers seeing me being mistreated and doing absolutely nothing about it. Now on a web forum when I give people the 180 view of the school, I receive so much backlash. Not everyone was lucky to have a good experience and should definitely not be called upon or accused of disparaging a school like this.

I’m glad the school has improved its student mistreatment. But it doesn’t really matter if it still happens to you personally!
You need to be more specific than you're being if you expect people to listen to you. To me, it sounds like they did something before your Step 1 test at the end of MS2 which may or may not have affected your performance. Is this accurate?

You need to be more specific than you're being if you expect people to listen to you. To me, it sounds like they did something before your Step 1 test at the end of MS2 which may or may not have affected your performance. Is this accurate?

No that's not the case at all. I don't want to get into too much detail without losing anonymity. PM me if you want to the full story. It wasn't just a single event that occurred...just repeated mistreatment in various contexts over the past few years. I'm not going to convince and try to make myself more credible for people who refuse to believe me and think I'm a hoax.

Heads up for reapplicants:

I sent an inquiry about my secondary application as I had not received one (OOS). I found out that the secondary was sent to my school email address which I no longer have access to. This was likely because my AMCAS ID is the same from a previous cycle. Despite entering this application cycle with my personal email address, their system still sent the secondary to the address associated with a previous application.

Am I the only one that hasn't received a secondary from this school?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the typical financial aid package looks like from CU, specifically scholarships?

Does anyone know what the typical financial aid package looks like from CU, specifically scholarships?

I don't know if there's a "typical" scholarship award. I believe most students who are accepted receive scholarships after applying for them through the school. For incoming students, there's a whole section of the scholarship website devoted to helping new MS1s get some scholarship dough.

Reactions: 1 users
I just want to clarify something- you must write both part A and part B of the secondary prompts with only 1,500 characters? Or is it 1,500 characters for each?

I just want to clarify something- you must write both part A and part B of the secondary prompts with only 1,500 characters? Or is it 1,500 characters for each?
1,500 for both. Its a tough one.

Reactions: 3 users
1,500 characters for both. It's pretty tight.

Wow it is really sad to read these experiences about CU. Now kind of regretting doing the secondary.

Coming back to this question, we should use CUSOM or CU as abbreviations?

I submitted my secondary 7/29, and my file is currently under review. Fingers crossed.

I submitted my secondary 7/29, and my file is currently under review. Fingers crossed.
Just a headsup, mine has been saying that for 20 days now. I don't think "under review" means anything, unfortunately.

Reactions: 5 users